HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jun 1, 2024, 11:35 AM
New Brunswick booster!

Where is the brick building located?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2024, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxfordGuy View Post
Where is the brick building located?
Across from IOL HQ on Princess Street

Old Posted Jun 1, 2024, 6:54 PM

New health sciences building on Millidgeville skyline

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Jun 1, 2024, 9:00 PM

Amazing how much land we set aside for such a small city. Anywhere else that hillside would be a mass of high end housing over looking the Yacht Club and the river. Does UNBSJ really need about a zillion acres of woods?

...and do we really need a 2200 acre park within a city or only 75,000? Would maybe 1500 or 2000 be enough.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2024, 9:06 PM
New Brunswick booster!

High end housing does not a city make. New York city built Central Park before Manhattan grew up around it in the 1860s and 70s. I'm just saying that hopefully Saint John will need all this parkland because it's going to grow.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2024, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor734 View Post
Amazing how much land we set aside for such a small city. Anywhere else that hillside would be a mass of high end housing over looking the Yacht Club and the river. Does UNBSJ really need about a zillion acres of woods?

...and do we really need a 2200 acre park within a city or only 75,000? Would maybe 1500 or 2000 be enough.
Agreed, but what about the seaside development? There’s an even greater dearth of homes and condos with ocean views in Saint John.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2024, 11:31 PM

Quote:

Wait until you find out how much disused land isn't a park or an endowment. Strongly opposed to letting city council dim bulbs salami-slice Rockwood Park because they're too stunned to induce development on other land.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2024, 1:02 PM

So, if there is all this other unused (and suitable) land and we have a huge unsatisfied demand for housing, why aren't there construction cranes dotting the skyline all over Saint John?

Old Posted Jun 2, 2024, 2:37 PM

Quote:

I cannot imagine what is motivating such a comment. It is Saint John we are talking about here. There are many other areas that could be developed. Why destroy a park surrounded by development?

Old Posted Jun 2, 2024, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuptownsj View Post
Wait until you find out how much disused land isn't a park or an endowment. Strongly opposed to letting city council dim bulbs salami-slice Rockwood Park because they're too stunned to induce development on other land.
Opposed to city council dim bulbs letting Brent Harris turn the Belyea Arena into transitional housing, too?

The Belyea site could be developed into ocean view condos, or just one more infill street of single family homes. Either would add tremendous value to that neighbourhood. Whereas, turning a derelict rink into transitional housing would be taking value away from that neighbourhood. It’s absurd the city could allow such a usage, but will refuse to sell the rink to a private operator, which the community would actually want. They could kill two birds with one stone if they put this Rockwood Park stuff on ice, and opened up the Belyea property for residential development instead The two properties are very comparable in size.

Any advice on how to prevent this proposed usage from being approved? I’ve heard the city council will start accepting applications for proposals regarding the Belyea site in July.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2024, 4:01 PM

Quote:
So, if there is all this other unused (and suitable) land and we have a huge unsatisfied demand for housing, why aren't there construction cranes dotting the skyline all over Saint John?
That’s a great question, and one that the city, the province, and our regional development agency should be answering.

Clearly, there needs to be better options for the city to be able to raise taxes on vacant and under-utilized land, but that’s mainly up to the province to deliver on their promise for municipal tax reform.

But there’s obviously something amiss when Moncton is approving high rises left and right compared to Saint John… and actually building them too. What can we do to better attract successful property developers to invest here in Saint John? That’s the billion dollar question that our local leaders have yet to figure out. If Shediac has construction cranes dotting their skyline, but Saint John doesn’t, there’s something wrong with our strategy.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2024, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnvisionSaintJohn View Post
But there’s obviously something amiss when Moncton is approving high rises left and right compared to Saint John… and actually building them too. What can we do to better attract successful property developers to invest here in Saint John? That’s the billion dollar question that our local leaders have yet to figure out. If Shediac has construction cranes dotting their skyline, but Saint John doesn’t, there’s something wrong with our strategy.
I don't think that is a fair assessment. There are lots of high-value developments happening everywhere in Saint John that are much bigger than Moncton's without the need for cranes. The new plaza is a massive undertaking, as is nearby Fundy Quay, which is progressing. There is the massive expansion of the port, the soon to be started museum, the expansion at UNB, plus the many mid-rise apartment and townhome developments we are seeing dotted around the region. This week alone was the announcement of JDI's expansion of the pulp mill along with some of the first new tenants joining the new city market.

Added to that are the multitude of smaller restoration and modernization efforts of the broader heritage stock on the peninsula and other nearby districts. Each of these smaller yet still important restorations are making the central core of the city more active and vibrant than ever, which is just making Uptown more and more attractive to live, work, and play. I'd argue Downtown Saint John is gentrifying and growing more than any other community in the Maritimes, outside of Halifax.

Saint John has lots going on and yes, there is Percy's hole but I'd argue that is an outlier compared to the multiple examples of growth you can see each day in the city. In 12-18 months, I'm sure you'll see more cranes as many of the bigger projects get underway. But again, the number of cranes in the sky building upwards does not necessarily equate to wether or not a city is more successful than another or lacks a proper strategy.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2024, 6:27 PM

Looking high class

[IMG] online pic hosting[/IMG]

Old Posted Jun 2, 2024, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugsley View Post
I don't think that is a fair assessment. There are lots of high-value developments happening everywhere in Saint John that are much bigger than Moncton's without the need for cranes. The new plaza is a massive undertaking, as is nearby Fundy Quay, which is progressing. There is the massive expansion of the port, the soon to be started museum, the expansion at UNB, plus the many mid-rise apartment and townhome developments we are seeing dotted around the region. This week alone was the announcement of JDI's expansion of the pulp mill along with some of the first new tenants joining the new city market.

Added to that are the multitude of smaller restoration and modernization efforts of the broader heritage stock on the peninsula and other nearby districts. Each of these smaller yet still important restorations are making the central core of the city more active and vibrant than ever, which is just making Uptown more and more attractive to live, work, and play. I'd argue Downtown Saint John is gentrifying and growing more than any other community in the Maritimes, outside.

I didn’t say there’s nothing going on in Saint John or anything like that, I specifically mentioned the lack of high rises being built here compared to Moncton. “Percy’s hole” doesn’t bother me at all, if anything it could be a blessing in disguise if we end up getting something built there that’s more impressive than the 12 storey building that was originally planned.

Whether you think my assessment was fair or not doesn’t change the fact that Saint John hasn’t seen anything 19 storeys or higher built in almost 50 years. While I agree high rises aren’t the only metric to judge a city’s success by any means, I sometimes do wonder if people forget the name of this forum that they post on so often

All of what you said I pretty much agree with… I think Saint John has come a long way and is continuing to improve, but I still feel like we lack the vision and strategy to build some more impressive buildings that actually add to the skyline and really change the built environment of the city in a positive, progressive way.

Simply put, people like a view of the water. Our city and region is bounded by the Bay of Fundy, and some pretty spectacular river valleys. Very few apartments and condos in Saint John and surrounding areas are actually tall enough to take advantage of the ocean views or river valley views that surround them, and I think we should devise a strategy to change that.

There’s all kinds of room and potential for mid rises and high rises to go up around the city to take advantage of the ocean views, river valley views, and enhance our skyline… not only to improve the image of our city, but give far more of our residents incredible views from their homes.

Again, we haven’t built anything 19 storeys or taller in over 48 years, while urban sprawl exploded in that same time period. Moncton has recently started building “up” in a major way, and I don’t think it would be unfair or biased to say that similarly tall projects built here in Saint John would have far more spectacular views to behold. Moncton clearly has a better strategy than we do on this front.

Fundy Quay will be a good start, I just hope we can build upon it and really fill out the skyline, including areas outside the central peninsula in the coming decades with more mid rises and high rises going up around the city. I think we can all agree there’s all kinds of room for improvement, and all kinds of room to build taller buildings around Saint John.

If you or anyone else has some ideas or thoughts on how to devise such a strategy to get taller buildings built in Saint John, I’d sure love to hear them!

Old Posted Jun 2, 2024, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnguys View Post
[IMG][/url] online pic hosting[/IMG]
Looks great!

Old Posted Jun 3, 2024, 12:49 PM

I must admit I am confused by some aspects of the controversy surrounding the piece of city land on Sandy Point Rd by the golf course being declared surplus. Is it in fact part of the land that officially comprises Rockwood Park or is it a separate piece of city owned land that happens to be beside the park?

Maybe we need to clearly define what parcel or parcels of land comprise the actual Park and what the formal boundaries of Rockwood Park are? Perhaps they need to do boundary adjustments so the entire park is one PID? That would help to prevent confusion between Rockwood Park and other undeveloped city owned parcels that may or may not be currently zoned "parkland"

Apologies if this is already the case but if so it is certainly not made clear in media reports on the issue.

Last edited by sailor734; Jun 3, 2024 at 1:13 PM.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2024, 1:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnvisionSaintJohn View Post
Again, we haven’t built anything 19 storeys or taller in over 48 years, while urban sprawl exploded in that same time period. Moncton has recently started building “up” in a major way, and I don’t think it would be unfair or biased to say that similarly tall projects built here in Saint John would have far more spectacular views to behold. Moncton clearly has a better strategy than we do on this front.
I don't think this is a function of strategy. Ultimately the types of buildings that are developed are decided by the market. Moncton is the fastest growing city in the province so it's not surprising that the larger, taller projects are more common there right now.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2024, 1:27 PM

The city is undertaking major construction at the end of Millidge Ave to create a proper boat launching ramp complete with a concrete ramp and floating docks. (What exists there now is really just the old ferry landing left over from the 1960's)

Major issue I see is the lack of city owned land to allow for vehicle and trailer public parking as well as a lack of space for turning in order to back a boat down the ramp. Most such facilities I have seen incorporate large parking lots (Think Brundage Pt in Grand Bay-Westfield). In this location the property on either side of the street is privately owned right to the water and the city only has the width of the street.

https://saintjohn.ca/en/news-and-not...rehabilitation

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.3031...5409&entry=ttu

Old Posted Jun 3, 2024, 4:36 PM

Quote:
The city is undertaking major construction at the end of Millidge Ave to create a proper boat launching ramp complete with a concrete ramp and floating docks. (What exists there now is really just the old ferry landing left over from the 1960's)

Major issue I see is the lack of city owned land to allow for vehicle and trailer public parking as well as a lack of space for turning in order to back a boat down the ramp. Most such facilities I have seen incorporate large parking lots (Think Brundage Pt in Grand Bay-Westfield). In this location the property on either side of the street is privately owned right to the water and the city only has the width of the street.

https://saintjohn.ca/en/news-and-not...rehabilitation

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.3031...5409&entry=ttu
Notwithstanding the launch area is within the rkyc's waterlot.

The weekend boaters in the area create a huge impact on the neighboring properties, and clog up the street, and also park on rkyc's property.

Within the scope of a 'climate emergency' I find it interesting that they'd suggest subsidizing launching powerboats at this area --- https://globalnews.ca/news/5250986/s...limate-action/

All but the smallest sailboats could launch there. Think swing keel models.

But Gary Sullivan will be able to launch his "Miss Moneypenny" powerboat. So its all good.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2024, 4:56 PM

I don't think it is in the club's waterlot. The leased area was cut way, way back some years ago when the annual rental fees went up dramatically. (In the McKenna era AFAIR) I think it goes straight out from the end on the club's main wharf now.

Biggest issue I see is the potential for a parking mess stretching up Millidge Ave or spilling onto Manners Sutton and Kennebecasis Dr on a busy holiday weekend. I don't think I've ever seen a public ramp anywhere that didn't have a sizable parking lot set up for tow vehicles with trailers attached......They seem to often be a sort of mini waterfront park with a few picnic tables, garbage cans and sometimes even public washrooms.

This location is just the street running into the water where the ferry used to come in back in the mid 1900's.

The proposal isn't really a renewal as the existing site was makeshift at best.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces