HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 27, 2023, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch View Post
Certain of my posts over the past few months have very much indicated I know exactly what you're referring to. In fact, my post from 2 days ago mentioned how shocked I am by what's going on to the dt of NoCa's largest city (or technically actually 2nd, right after San Jose). btw, there's a typo in my last post....I meant to say I thought that compared with dtsf, dtla had more of a DISadvantage, not advantage.

This is another vid that shakes up my assumptions......

https://youtu.be/bJSv4MEY1HM?si=hZlyw4NGQNeKKPca

^ In turn, I've long assumed the gritty nature of the arts dist of eastern dtla.....& very close to skid row....would put it at such a DISadvantage, it would never compete. Never say never, so in the long run who knows?

Right now, the biggest sign of ongoing problems in real estate in dtla, the rusting oceanwide proj, is just a few blocks north of this devlpt....

https://abc7.com/video/embed/?pid=13981185
Is the arts district gritty? It doesnt feels gritty anymore. There's too much new construction and modern restaurants/retail with people pushing baby strollers.

You keep harping on Oceanwide, which we all know. You've said 50 times now. WE KNOW. Whats the point? That's more of a developer issue than a retail one.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2023, 8:09 PM
SUSPENDED

Video Link

Re the Oceanwide proj on fig, its ground floor retail probably won't fly in today's economy, & how its apt or condos pencil out depend on how projs like the Beaudry or Mitsui's upcoming apt tower at 8th & Fig lease up. I notice the broadway palace apt complex several blocks east has a vacancy rate much higher today than it had not too long after it opened in 2018. Meanwhile, not sure how strikes of workers in Hollywood & the strike of hotel workers in LA will affect dtla.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2023, 4:12 AM

Residential tower starts to rise at 1000 S. Hill Street in DTLA
But the tower has taken a bit of a haircut

Steven Sharp
Urbanize Los Angeles
October 30, 2023

Nine months after we last dropped by at the intersection of Olympic Boulevard and Hill Street, concrete and rebar are nearly 20 floors above ground at the site of Onni Group's latest Downtown Los Angeles.

The project, which has the addresses of 230 W. Olympic Boulevard and 1000 S. Hill Street, replaces a surface parking lot with what will eventually be a 54-story building featuring 685 apartments above a podium structure containing a 1,000-car garage and ground-floor commercial space.

IBI Group is serving as the architect of record for the glass-and-steel high-rise, taking the reins from Chris Dikeakos Architects, which handled the entitlement design. The current iteration of the project, at 590 feet in height, represents a downward revision of what was initially approved by Los Angeles Planning officials. Previously, the tower was imagined as a 60-story, approximately 760-foot-tall building that would have ranked as the fourth tallest in the city. The amount of housing planned has also been cut from the original plan of 700 dwellings.

Despite the height reduction, the design retains the similar contemporary look of Onni's other Downtown towers. But unlike those earlier projects, approved plans call for masking above-grade parking with habitable spaces and residential units along both Olympic and Hill.

An environmental study conducted for the project estimated that construction of the tower would be completed over period of approximately 30 months.

While the Olympic and Hill tower may stand head and shoulders above its low-rise neighbors along Olympic Boulevard, the project will eventually have similar-scaled neighbors one block to the south on 11th Street, where Mack Real Estate Development, Crown Group, and Crescent Heights have plans for four high-rise residential buildings on the blocks between Grand Avenue and Hill Street.

Onni Group, in addition to the tower at Olympic and Hill, is planning additional Downtown projects at the former home of the Los Angeles Times and in the Arts District. Outside of Los Angeles, the Vancouver-based firm is planning office, residential, and hotel projects in Hollywood, Mid-Wilshire, Long Beach, and Glendale.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2023, 4:23 AM

Old Posted Oct 31, 2023, 5:12 PM

^Say what you will about the glass, but it sure does feel good to see another skyscraper rising in DTLA. Not easy for anything to get built right now given the current cost of capital. Onni seems sold on DTLA for apartments and keeps building one after another.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2023, 5:15 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

^ Brutal.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Oct 31, 2023, 9:49 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAsam View Post
^Say what you will about the glass, but it sure does feel good to see another skyscraper rising in DTLA. Not easy for anything to get built right now given the current cost of capital. Onni seems sold on DTLA for apartments and keeps building one after another.

Downtown has so much potential. Hopefully in a few years the market will be better.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2023, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Downtown has so much potential. Hopefully in a few years the market will be better.
At least when it comes to high rise apartments. I know for sure my building and at least 5 other towers are 90% leased. The demand is there seemingly no matter how expensive. If you build, people will come. I remember specifically back in 2014, some were saying that no one would spend the type of money to live in a highrise in DTLA. Ha….how wrong they were.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2023, 10:26 PM

^^^ As i always say, not sure why developers have bought land all along the east side of downtown since its cheaper (along the river and etc). Theres a solid market for Rentals and Condos, i'd love all of that area to be a residential boom area, thousands of units. Even with the Exodus, the demand for housing has barely been touched in LA.

Long Beach new tallest currently has a waitlist for new tenants. I'm on it. The rep "Maybe by next spring".

Old Posted Nov 2, 2023, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
^^^ As i always say, not sure why developers have bought land all along the east side of downtown since its cheaper (along the river and etc). Theres a solid market for Rentals and Condos, i'd love all of that area to be a residential boom area, thousands of units. Even with the Exodus, the demand for housing has barely been touched in LA.

Long Beach new tallest currently has a waitlist for new tenants. I'm on it. The rep "Maybe by next spring".
GOOD LUCK!!! Hopefully you get into the brand new beauty!!!

Old Posted Nov 2, 2023, 9:49 PM
SUSPENDED

Quote:

Mitsui Fudosan America

LOS ANGELES, Nov. 1, 2023 /PRNewswire/ -- Mitsui Fudosan America (MFA), announced today that Figueroa Eight, its first self-developed development in the U.S. – located in the progressive Downtown Los Angeles (DTLA) neighborhood – has begun leasing with move-ins scheduled for early 2024.

In October 2022, MFA topped out and welcomed the new tower to the DTLA skyline. With 438 homes consisting of studio, one, two-bedroom, and penthouse residences, along with a plethora of amenities and 7,500 square feet of ground-floor retail space, Figueroa Eight adds a new standard of living to one of the most prolific cities to experience a vertical residential boom.

"Figueroa Eight epitomizes MFA's continued commitment to Downtown Los Angeles," says Stuart Morkun, VP Development for MFA's LA Office. "Downtown LA is home to some of the city's finest dining and art establishments, consistently making it one of the U.S.'s topmost desired destinations. With Figueroa Eight, the resident community will have access to a truly elevated luxury living experience led by hospitality-level staff and hotel-like offerings."

Unique to Figueroa Eight is a social club available via membership, located on the building's 41st floor. The club will feature a rotating social program and a food and beverage concept exclusive to Figueroa Eight residents and select guests only.

Throughout each Figueroa Eight residence is natural European white oak plank flooring along with tech-enabled features like smart thermostats and keyless entry. Bathrooms include porcelain flooring with designer fixtures while the kitchens are equipped with everything needed to create a refined culinary experience. Residents will appreciate a quartz countertop in Calacatta Blanco with bespoke Italian tile backsplash, deep grey lacquer cabinetry, and a Bertazzoni refrigerator and gas range. Select residences will have private balconies, luxurious rain showers and premium fixtures and finishes.

Professionally managed and leased by leading full-service residential hospitality operator, Sentral, prices start around $2,800 per month.
https://www.figueroaeight.com/

Old Posted Nov 3, 2023, 12:21 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

Nice!!! That only adds to the people and foot traffic downtown...
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Nov 3, 2023, 1:51 AM
DENNAB

Nice! (regarding Mitsui)

That'll make three near 600 footers U/C soon. Assuming City Century Tower is actually U/C as people have said. (is there a thread?)

Old Posted Nov 3, 2023, 4:28 AM

I don't think there is a thread but there are tons of photos of a tower crane on site which was installed like one or two months ago. I'm really excited to see this thing completed, it will fit in amazing with the rest of the Century City skyline. There are also some photos of it on Wikipedia. Here's an article about it: https://la.urbanize.city/post/tower-...ty-center-site

Old Posted Nov 3, 2023, 5:56 AM
SUSPENDED

early work on redoing a part of pershing sq....the onni proj can be see at the upper left

Brady Hunsberger/facebook

Old Posted Nov 3, 2023, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Nice! (regarding Mitsui)

That'll make three near 600 footers U/C soon. Assuming City Century Tower is actually U/C as people have said. (is there a thread?)
Wait, this tower is under construction?!

Anyone have tangible info on this?

Old Posted Nov 3, 2023, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headcheckjj View Post
Wait, this tower is under construction?!

Anyone have tangible info on this?
Century City tower is,yes.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2023, 2:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
Century City tower is,yes.
Oh, the Century City tower. But that's not in downtown.

I thought the City Century tower on Grand and 12th.

This: https://la.urbanize.city/post/detail...uth-park-tower

Old Posted Nov 5, 2023, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headcheckjj View Post
Oh, the Century City tower. But that's not in downtown.

I thought the City Century tower on Grand and 12th.

This: https://la.urbanize.city/post/detail...uth-park-tower
I’m not sure if this has started.

Last edited by scania; Nov 9, 2023 at 6:01 AM.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
I’m not sure if this have has started.
No changes yet.

Picture by me, this morning.

Last edited by DTLA_Drew; Nov 8, 2023 at 9:12 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations