HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 1:31 AM
Urbane observer

Quote:
[Gang envisions] a high-rise resembling a Rubik's Cube, its profile constantly shifting as affordable units for living and working are plugged into its superstructure, each tailored to the needs of residents.
I guess I missed the part where Gang explained how a family unable to make one-third of the mortgage payments on an inexpensive bungalow would be able to afford newly constructed housing that must use unionized labor, comply with multifamily and highrise construction codes, and carry the expense of several years' worth of environmental remediation.

And I missed the part where Mexican immigrants yearning for the American dream, with at least their own little yard for the kids to play in, say that no, they really want to live in an enormous futuristic warehouse where they can't even hear the kids playing and have to lug the groceries a full block from the car.

Yet Gang and her colleagues are totally mystified that production builders, designing for the middle-class suburbanite, don't turn to them more often.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 2:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
I guess I missed the part where Gang explained how a family unable to make one-third of the mortgage payments on an inexpensive bungalow would be able to afford newly constructed housing that must use unionized labor, comply with multifamily and highrise construction codes, and carry the expense of several years' worth of environmental remediation.

And I missed the part where Mexican immigrants yearning for the American dream, with at least their own little yard for the kids to play in, say that no, they really want to live in an enormous futuristic warehouse where they can't even hear the kids playing and have to lug the groceries a full block from the car.

Yet Gang and her colleagues are totally mystified that production builders, designing for the middle-class suburbanite, don't turn to them more often.
Jeez, it's a concept... a vision. I'm sure nearly a century ago no one imagined us living in the dirty warehouses and factories many people in Chicago now inhabit.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 2:25 AM

Quote:
I don't want to over-stereotype here or sound racist here, but that is NOT the goal of some Mexican immigrants who are here for work purposes and could give two shits about the American dream. Many of these people want to go back to Mexico but enjoy the US for higher wages and more benefits and safety. And at the very least, smaller apartments would be cheaper and not force 3 families to live in a small bungalow so space per person would increase. Besides what would you prefer, a cool new building (even if it is an apartment building) or a 1930s crappy bungalow or worse those square brick houses where you're packed in like sardines.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 5:50 AM
Chicago Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorisMolotov View Post
I don't want to over-stereotype here or sound racist here, but that is NOT the goal of some Mexican immigrants who are here for work purposes and could give two shits about the American dream. Many of these people want to go back to Mexico but enjoy the US for higher wages and more benefits and safety. And at the very least, smaller apartments would be cheaper and not force 3 families to live in a small bungalow so space per person would increase. Besides what would you prefer, a cool new building (even if it is an apartment building) or a 1930s crappy bungalow or worse those square brick houses where you're packed in like sardines.
I don't want to go off topic but Gang has always offered realistic and affordable housing from Aqua (yes its relatively affordable for LSE) to Hyde park where her hotel conversion offers dirt cheap living.

This is not so far fetched at all, plus the stereotyping of what the "Mexican" family wants, was completely racist and overboard even for someone like me who can tolerate stereotyping.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 3:02 PM
BANNED

^^^ Also, I'm 99.9% certain Gang is not at all confused as to why people don't turn to her for production housing. In fact, she has probably never even though about that. What makes you think Gang has some underlying desire to be Chicago's finest purveyor of tract housing? Studio Gang is a premium, top of the line, firm, so why on earth would they want to be churning McMansions and having one of their designs regurgitated over and over again. In fact, I'm willing to be (with 100% certainty) that her design contracts include a clause explicitly stating the that customer cannot, under any circumstances, use the designs to build additional buildings. Oh and her fees are probably many many times higher than those charged by people who design "production housing" (whatever that means) so I'm not sure why you'd think she is puzzled that they aren't hiring her to design ye olde rowhomes on the Southwest side.

Gang's goal is to contribute something new to architecture, not to shit out crappy designs all over the place...

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
The environmental characteristics of Gang's plan are highly realistic. When I lived in Michigan alot of General Motors plants were building wetlands to treat all of foundry waste on site as well as develop a completely new habitat for vegetation and wild life. When a few of the plants closed because of consolidation or construction of new facilities, city's and counties were left with land that had gone almost completely back to a natural state.....possibly even better than the agricultural land the preceded industrial growth.

It's also possible to dismantle and recondition steel from some of these factories. Often times more modern facilities have been overbuilt or designed to be decommissioned, dismantled, and reassembled elsewhere.

I think this should be adapted to Chicago. It's creative, and even realistic. But visionary enough that it could put Chicago on the map for rethinking underutilized industrial areas that are found in almost every rustbelt city.
A lot of people, architects in particular, savagely overvalue the term "salvage." Often times it is not cheaper or easier to salvage existing materials for re-use in some new configuration of the building, and almost always the fact that these materials are in fact scrapped for re-use elsewhere, or recycled anyway, as part of demolition, is ignored entirely. From a cost standpoint, the maybe $100,000 - $150,000 you'd spend to just tear the damn place down will likely be exceeded in re-purposing existing elements into the new structure.

Re-using steel trusses from the factory is almost certainly completely ludicrous in this scenario. They were designed to carry roof and snow loads at most, which come to about 40 psf in Chicago, and may even have been less per code when the factory was built. The live and dead load combination they'd have to carry in the new building are going to be at least triple that. This is to say nothing of the sheer man and machine power it would take to dismantle them carefully, move them, rework them in the field for re-use in the new building (probably around $40/hour more than shop work) and then re-install. Equipment-wise, you're using all kinds of cranes and lifts and other equipment to basically de-erect a building rather than the one large excavator you're probably using to just rip it down.

You see this kind of thinking in the City all the time, and it almost always costs more. Re-using bricks is a constant waste of money. Yes, you don't have to pay forty cents for a new brick. But you do now have to pay somebody to clean all the old mortar off of them, move them and put them on palettes for re-use, which costs more than forty cents a brick. If it's a historical building, then OK, there's reason. But if not, I never much see the point, particularly with Chicago Common, which has to be some of the ugliest brick you'll ever see anywhere.

Probably my favorite is when architects want to re-use doors, but reverse the swing. This isn't so bad if you've got residential stuff and it's all wood (though that's still a lot of cutting and patching, too) but give it a try with hollow metal sometime and see how far you get. It's almost always cheaper to just demo and get new.

But practicality doesn't ever make much difference in these types of "Architectural Big Ideas as Art Projects" anyway. It solidifies Gang as a Big Thinker among the Architectural Intelligentsia, which is what she needs to do to advance her career at this point. She's on pace to be up there with Adrian Smith and Lord what's his name out of London, and comically enough, this is the kind of stuff that will put her there.

Free Nowhereman...fat girls need lovin' too

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aic4ever View Post
A lot of people, architects in particular, savagely overvalue the term "salvage." Often times it is not cheaper or easier to salvage existing materials for re-use in some new configuration of the building, and almost always the fact that these materials are in fact scrapped for re-use elsewhere, or recycled anyway, as part of demolition, is ignored entirely. From a cost standpoint, the maybe $100,000 - $150,000 you'd spend to just tear the damn place down will likely be exceeded in re-purposing existing elements into the new structure.

Re-using steel trusses from the factory is almost certainly completely ludicrous in this scenario. They were designed to carry roof and snow loads at most, which come to about 40 psf in Chicago, and may even have been less per code when the factory was built. The live and dead load combination they'd have to carry in the new building are going to be at least triple that. This is to say nothing of the sheer man and machine power it would take to dismantle them carefully, move them, rework them in the field for re-use in the new building (probably around $40/hour more than shop work) and then re-install. Equipment-wise, you're using all kinds of cranes and lifts and other equipment to basically de-erect a building rather than the one large excavator you're probably using to just rip it down.

You see this kind of thinking in the City all the time, and it almost always costs more. Re-using bricks is a constant waste of money. Yes, you don't have to pay forty cents for a new brick. But you do now have to pay somebody to clean all the old mortar off of them, move them and put them on palettes for re-use, which costs more than forty cents a brick. If it's a historical building, then OK, there's reason. But if not, I never much see the point, particularly with Chicago Common, which has to be some of the ugliest brick you'll ever see anywhere.

Probably my favorite is when architects want to re-use doors, but reverse the swing. This isn't so bad if you've got residential stuff and it's all wood (though that's still a lot of cutting and patching, too) but give it a try with hollow metal sometime and see how far you get. It's almost always cheaper to just demo and get new.

But practicality doesn't ever make much difference in these types of "Architectural Big Ideas as Art Projects" anyway. It solidifies Gang as a Big Thinker among the Architectural Intelligentsia, which is what she needs to do to advance her career at this point. She's on pace to be up there with Adrian Smith and Lord what's his name out of London, and comically enough, this is the kind of stuff that will put her there.
I was assuming recycling steel on site, not reusing the actual members. I'm not aware of any structures in Chicago that contain any type of truss that could be repurposed in the way shown. But again, it's a concept getting people to think out of the box, not dive into the details.

The economy, politics, and environment would create an end result completely different from this.

I really shouldn't bother to comment when these concepts get posted. People take them too literally here. But the big ideas of material re-use of onsite materials or converting industrial land back to wetlands has been going on for decades and I find that to be a reasonable endeavor for architects to pursue.

I should post before and after photos of the decommissioning of the Saginaw Malleable Iron Foundry.

----------------------------------------

In other news, snapped this pic of Esquire

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 4:52 PM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
What makes you think Gang has some underlying desire to be Chicago's finest purveyor of tract housing?
From her Feb. 10 piece in the New York Times:

Too often during the bubble, banks and builders shunned thoughtful architecture and urban design in favor of cookie-cutter houses that could be easily repackaged as derivatives to be flipped, while architects snubbed housing to pursue more prestigious projects.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 5:08 PM
just a pool of mushy goo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
In other news, snapped this pic of Esquire
Obviously not comparable in architectural terms, but I couldn't help this reminding me of that most egregious movie palace turned parking garage in Detroit that most have seen:

Linker

Trumpism is the road to ruin

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 5:19 PM

Yeah the parking garage in Detroit is crazy. I've been in there before and there's lots of hidden rooms and interesting spaces above what was hacked up into parking. Interestingly the Michigan Theater came to mind when I took the photo

Ironically the theater almost deserved its fate. When that theater was constructed, it replaced Henry Ford's automotive workshop...a site with far more historical importance than the theater itself

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 6:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
From her Feb. 10 piece in the New York Times:

Too often during the bubble, banks and builders shunned thoughtful architecture and urban design in favor of cookie-cutter houses that could be easily repackaged as derivatives to be flipped, while architects snubbed housing to pursue more prestigious projects.
OK, but she is in no way wondering why she didn't get commissions for those houses. She is saying the exact opposite: that architects "snubbed" designing what you called production housing in favor of more prestigious projects. In fact, that quote reiterates exactly what I just said: Gang doesn't give a shit about designing tract housing, she wants to design the Aqua's and Starlight Theaters of the world.

So I'm still not sure where you are getting the idea that she is "puzzled" about anything.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 7:39 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Hmm, so Moscow has those palacial subway stations, and in the U.S. we have palacial parking garages ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Obviously not comparable in architectural terms, but I couldn't help this reminding me of that most egregious movie palace turned parking garage in Detroit that most have seen:

Linker

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
A blueprint for a new American dream
Will Jeanne Gang's inventive ideas for Cicero work in the real world?

Blair Kamin

February 13, 2012
Cicero, infamous for its history of corruption, and Jeanne Gang, famous for her futuristic buildings, would seem an unlikely pair. But something unexpected has brought them together: America's foreclosure crisis.

On a recent morning, Gang drove her gray Toyota Prius past the town's sturdy but overcrowded brick bungalows and envisioned something different: a high-rise resembling a Rubik's Cube, its profile constantly shifting as affordable units for living and working are plugged into its superstructure, each tailored to the needs of residents.

A concept rather than a blueprint, her plan will be prominently featured in an exhibition, "Foreclosed: Rehousing the American Dream," that opens Wednesday at New York's Museum of Modern Art and is sure to be provocative.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,3287005.story

Interesting...thx for posting!!

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 9:29 PM

Tons of digging going on at East-West University dorm site by 9th and Wabash.

Looks like most of the mat is done at the Jones College Prep High School. Rebar starting to go up on the north side walls of the excavation.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 9:50 PM
BANNED

^^^ Excellent, glad to see these two slowpokes finally get rolling.

Are they drilling at East West yet or just site prep? We need to keep an eye out for when construction officially begins on that one.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2012, 2:52 AM

No drilling yet at East West. Just two excavators digging like crazy.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2012, 9:54 PM

Renovation/New Construction at what used to be Blackies

Free Nowhereman...fat girls need lovin' too

Old Posted Feb 15, 2012, 10:17 PM

Damn, I really liked the look of Blackies. It had a cool film noir look like the Green Mill. I always used to take people there alot.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2012, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Nice to see that little strip of parking bit the dust.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2012, 10:47 PM

Quote:

What's it going to be?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development