HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jun 1, 2019, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Dont forget Palomar, But yeah if Barrister, the Hines project and of course X and Block 23 get built and filled all those places will have plenty of business.
Not to mention Kennect! shoot, The Stewart should even help in the mean time.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2019, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Locked: https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...among-top.html

Uber already has a large and lasting office downtown; would be great to have 500k sqft downtown of a big company like Uber.
So the proposal for Central & Indian School had a building with enough room for this no? Could be an awesome anchor for that development!

Old Posted Jun 2, 2019, 12:21 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymox View Post
So the proposal for Central & Indian School had a building with enough room for this no? Could be an awesome anchor for that development!
Are we talking about the northeast corner of Central & Indian School? I just noticed this coverage in the North Central News, although there's no mention of Uber:

http://northcentralnews.net/2019/fea...-central-park/

Old Posted Jun 2, 2019, 3:49 PM

I know Najafi. He is a great person and I respect him totally. With him at the helm, hopefully his vision will be not only chosen but come to fruition. Knowing he is part of a possible plan makes me very excited.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2019, 5:18 PM

https://azbigmedia.com/banner-urgent...=ReviveOldPost

Urgent Care on its way to downtown, NW corner of Washington and 1st St. I think is the former Duck and Decanter space.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2019, 10:04 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
https://azbigmedia.com/banner-urgent...=ReviveOldPost

Urgent Care on its way to downtown, NW corner of Washington and 1st St. I think is the former Duck and Decanter space.
Interesting development. When D&D first moved out, there was supposed to be a new restaurant there. I can't remember the name, but the plan seems to have been unrealized. In terms of promoting a vibrant downtown, an urgent care center will do more good than another restaurant. If there are places to walk to for groceries, health care, and other basic needs, an urban lifestyle becomes a more viable and appealing option.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2019, 11:24 PM

The last thing they need downtown is another restaurant. There are so many awful restaurants that should be upping their game anyway.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 4:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
The last thing they need downtown is another restaurant. There are so many awful restaurants that should be upping their game anyway.
Just out of curiosity- which restaurants are you throwing into the awful category?

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 6:39 AM

Jimmy John's, Yogi's, Coney island, a whole bunch of bad plans for lunch downtown.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Jimmy John's, Yogi's, Coney island, a whole bunch of bad plans for lunch downtown.
Are you also thinking of actual sit down restaurants, rather than fast food joints? That's what I'd be curious about.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 2:38 PM

I'm thinking of the kind of places most of us with offices downtown actually frequent. Sit down or counter order doesn't really matter. It's better these past few years but it still seems like the old holdouts are dragging the average quality of selection down.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 3:21 PM
E pluribus unum

Yeah, I was about to say "...almost everything in Cityscape" but biggus beat me to it.

For what it's worth, I generally appreciate the role Cityscape plays in Downtown Phoenix and am in no way above eating at Jimmy Johns or Chipotle, but I can get those damn-near everywhere else in Arizona.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 3:28 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
I'm thinking of the kind of places most of us with offices downtown actually frequent. Sit down or counter order doesn't really matter. It's better these past few years but it still seems like the old holdouts are dragging the average quality of selection down.
There has been a shift over the past five years away from an old downtown business model of being able to pay the rent based on serving lunch and maybe breakfast but never being open past 3 PM or at all on weekends. The Hero Factory, Focaccia Fiorentina, Duck & Decanter and the Downtown Deli -- all longstanding establishments -- were unable or unwilling to change to accommodate contemporary expectations of staying open nights and weekends, and the landlords of their spaces looked for different tenants who would cultivate a clientele beyond the office crowd.

As I remarked earlier in this thread, there are some parts of downtown where this transition is essentially complete. At Central & Monroe, everyone is open at night. In fact, Nook doesn't even serve lunch, perhaps swinging the pendulum too far in the other direction. At Central & Adams, however, half the places are still operating under the old model.

Aside from hours of service, the next frontier is downtown restaurants that people want to visit as a destination for a good meal, rather than a place that people merely settle for because it's near their office or an event venue. In some places, that has already happened, but not everywhere. The Arizona Center in particular seems to rely on a captive audience for its restaurants, and I haven't seen much sign of that changing, even with all the renovations there.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 5:47 PM
Skyriser

^ I was never under the impression Downtown retail vacancies let landlords be selective with their tenants but as part of the overall neighborhood boom it doesn't surprise me.

There are countless lunch only spots here of varying quality, but nobody's questioning the office market. A crummy older place in Phoenix depending on forces of habit from employees that are being relocated or retire can't survive a demographic shift, something Duck and Decanter pointed to when they closed their midtown location.

I would actually think the return to lunch spots would signal renewed health in the downtown office market rather than places banking on new residents to fill their tables who have *lots* of options.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 6:00 PM

Look how spoiled we are

10 years ago downtown hardly had a bar and not a Chipotle.

I agree that a decent sit down restaurant downtown would do well with the new population give it time.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 6:07 PM

I am on the computer now and can type out a decent response explaining my position.

I'm generally unhappy with the downtown food selections. We have a giant gap in offerings. As mentioned in a previous post all the things around Central and Adams are relics of days gone by that are open for lunch and breakfast. There are then a lot of all-day restaurants that frankly are either not that good or exorbitantly expensive for what they are; Kettle Black, Blue Hound and Arrogant Butcher are fine if you need to entertain a client but at $15-$18 for a sandwich with tip it's definitely not an every day thing. There are some more casual options but they aren't really any less costly, it adds up if you're trying to out most days rather than bring your own lunch to the office. $12 sandwich at Cafe, $11 poke bowl at that place that seems like it will go out of business any day next door to the old Even Steven's location.

If you want to have lunch downtown for less than $10 you have very few options and some of them are not worth it even if they are free. Bowl of Greens is fantastic but Subway, Chick Fil A, Chipotle, etc. are extremely uninteresting. I resort to visiting the grab and go market at The Grand about 2-3 times a week for an average-at-best sandwich from the cooler for $5

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 6:10 PM

Quote:
I am on the computer now and can type out a decent response explaining my position.

I'm generally unhappy with the downtown food selections. We have a giant gap in offerings. As mentioned in a previous post all the things around Central and Adams are relics of days gone by that are open for lunch and breakfast. There are then a lot of all-day restaurants that frankly are either not that good or exorbitantly expensive for what they are; Kettle Black, Blue Hound and Arrogant Butcher are fine if you need to entertain a client but at $15-$18 for a sandwich with tip it's definitely not an every day thing. There are some more casual options but they aren't really any less costly, it adds up if you're trying to out most days rather than bring your own lunch to the office. $12 sandwich at Cafe, $11 poke bowl at that place that seems like it will go out of business any day next door to the old Even Steven's location.

If you want to have lunch downtown for less than $10 you have very few options and some of them are not worth it even if they are free. Bowl of Greens is fantastic but Subway, Chick Fil A, Chipotle, etc. are extremely uninteresting. I resort to visiting the grab and go market at The Grand about 2-3 times a week for an average-at-best sandwich from the cooler for $5
I think your concept of the cost of food out is wildly off.

Its hard to have a meal at McDonald's for under 10$ unless you are using dollar menu's off drive thru's

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 6:13 PM

Quote:
I think your concept of the cost of food out is wildly off.

Its hard to have a meal at McDonald's for under 10$ unless you are using dollar menu's off drive thru's
How much do you eat?

I don't go to McDonald's but I routinely see ads for $5 (or less) meals.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 8:14 PM
Skyriser

I can easily eat three double cheeseburgers and I like McDonald's coke. I don't get fries which are just empty carbs and fat. That's definitely more than $5.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 9:47 PM

Quote:
How much do you eat?

I don't go to McDonald's but I routinely see ads for $5 (or less) meals.
You are being disingenuous the average "meal" from McDonalds is close to 10$ if you are talking a sandwich fries and a drink.

You can obviously buy a single burger and 1$ fries off of a dollar menu as I said but if you are talking about their pricing and marketing for an actual meal (which you are) the cost per person at most fast food is right around $10 a person.

If you think 20-30$ for a decent lunch at an actual restaurant is unreasonable I think you maybe dont go out to eat much.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest