HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Dec 17, 2022, 1:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merewether View Post
Nighttime photos likely to appeal to this group. Photography credit to @grallon instagram, alert courtesy Downtown Alliance who say photographers are Chris Williams and Scott Taylor.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CmM9Z1qu...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
This is probably a dumb question, but does the top of the CCH light up? In several of those photos, the top appears to be lit up red.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2022, 3:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileybo View Post
Communities and “downtowns” aren’t built in a day. If the Point actually manifests, which I doubt it will… it will be a glorified office park.
I’d have to disagree. The master plan (as it is displayed) is taking specific steps to avoid becoming just another office park. It has an elaborate network of parks and green space, planned retail and entertainment centers, and thousands of residential units in a very transit rich and bikeable neighborhood. I really can’t say anything about what is actually going to be built at this point, but if everything follows the existing guidelines, this could be a really amazing addition to the state. But what do I know?

Old Posted Dec 17, 2022, 5:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBison View Post
This is probably a dumb question, but does the top of the CCH light up? In several of those photos, the top appears to be lit up red.
Those are just AOL/AWL's, no?

Old Posted Dec 17, 2022, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Scorpion Critic View Post
I’d have to disagree. The master plan (as it is displayed) is taking specific steps to avoid becoming just another office park. It has an elaborate network of parks and green space, planned retail and entertainment centers, and thousands of residential units in a very transit rich and bikeable neighborhood. I really can’t say anything about what is actually going to be built at this point, but if everything follows the existing guidelines, this could be a really amazing addition to the state. But what do I know?
Okay, so it’s a few patches of grass stringed together, a Target, a Michael’s, a sports clips, a cinemark theater, block housing, corporate offices, a concrete platform and some benches for UTA travelers, and a couple bike lanes. Jordan Landing 2.0 is what we can expect if anything resembling the current plan comes to fruition.

I like how on their website, the point squad claim that they’ve taken the best and brightest ideas from developments around the world and this is the dream plan.

What do I know, either?

Old Posted Dec 18, 2022, 3:55 PM

South Downtown & Central 9th construction update - plus a few skyline shots at the end:

Video Link

Old Posted Dec 18, 2022, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTO View Post
Those are just AOL/AWL's, no?
Ah, that makes sense. Thanks!

Old Posted Dec 19, 2022, 4:07 AM
Verticle

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkSLC View Post
South Downtown & Central 9th construction update - plus a few skyline shots at the end:

Video Link
AWESOME, AMAZING, MORE MORE MORE PLEEEAAASE!!!!! Excellent update. Thank you. Those pics of Astras core just visible on the skyline gave me an absolute thrill! Cannot wait to see it pulling up the center perspective.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2022, 4:18 AM

Quote:
Okay, so it’s a few patches of grass stringed together, a Target, a Michael’s, a sports clips, a cinemark theater, block housing, corporate offices, a concrete platform and some benches for UTA travelers, and a couple bike lanes. Jordan Landing 2.0 is what we can expect if anything resembling the current plan comes to fruition.

I like how on their website, the point squad claim that they’ve taken the best and brightest ideas from developments around the world and this is the dream plan.

What do I know, either?
Come on, this is disingenuous and you know it. A project can be criticized without just straight up lying about it.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2022, 6:16 AM
Exit 298

I hate to say it, but from the rendering, it sure looks more likely to turn out as Jordan Landing II than anything of significant "new urban" value. I don't think that assumption is so far removed from reality to be called a "lie."

I got sold in a BIG way that Fairbourne Station would become this fantastic urban campus creating the long-desired "Downtown West Valley." And it's a huge disappointment. Most everyone enters and exists with their car to spaces in a parking garage. There's no grid. There's no street-level interaction. If anything, the outparcels in the freaking MALL parking lot across 27th are more engaging.

No matter what is planned, we're going to wind up with less. That's just the nature of plans. And if this rendering above is the level-one "dream" plan? I'm prepared to be horribly disappointed.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2022, 6:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
Come on, this is disingenuous and you know it. A project can be criticized without just straight up lying about it.
What am I lying about exactly?

Old Posted Dec 19, 2022, 2:32 PM

Quote:
What am I lying about exactly?
Who really knows how it will turn out. So you’re neither a liar or a truth sayer. Does history repeat itself often. Yes. But in this case I’ll be optimistic it turns out to be more than a mall and a few office buildings considering there is no mall included in these initial plans, there is less parking than Jordan landing or valley fair, and it claims to be transit/work where you live focused. The work where you live I am skeptical about but who knows. Maybe the Point will turn out better than Jordan’s landing, or maybe it will look like “downtown Sandy” and we can all criticize it then. For now I’ll choose to let things develop instead of rub my crystal ball and foretell the future.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2022, 5:54 PM
SLC Lifer

The point

I think we can surmise a few things about the point: Any tower development will not happen. It will be a more dense version of Daybreak but with multiple uses. Transit will be good. They will bounce around between a number of connected developers. There will be rampant corruption involved. They will probably build our MLB stadium there unfortunately. And everything will be fine.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2022, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvland View Post
I think we can surmise a few things about the point: Any tower development will not happen. It will be a more dense version of Daybreak but with multiple uses. Transit will be good. They will bounce around between a number of connected developers. There will be rampant corruption involved. They will probably build our MLB stadium there unfortunately. And everything will be fine.
I am generally fine with it BUT 1) wish they hadn’t scrapped trax and 2) don’t want a stadium there over downtown

Old Posted Dec 19, 2022, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-215 View Post

I hate to say it, but from the rendering, it sure looks more likely to turn out as Jordan Landing II than anything of significant "new urban" value. I don't think that assumption is so far removed from reality to be called a "lie."

I got sold in a BIG way that Fairbourne Station would become this fantastic urban campus creating the long-desired "Downtown West Valley." And it's a huge disappointment. Most everyone enters and exists with their car to spaces in a parking garage. There's no grid. There's no street-level interaction. If anything, the outparcels in the freaking MALL parking lot across 27th are more engaging.

No matter what is planned, we're going to wind up with less. That's just the nature of plans. And if this rendering above is the level-one "dream" plan? I'm prepared to be horribly disappointed.
How are these two similar? One story big boxes surrounded by surface asphalt versus structured parking and multistory buildings?

Old Posted Dec 19, 2022, 6:57 PM
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Sunny in SLC View Post
How are these two similar? One story big boxes surrounded by surface asphalt versus structured parking and multistory buildings?

It’s like you’re building 5 Jordan landings on top of each other. The car centricity of it is the same.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2022, 8:13 PM

370 S. W Temple Tower update

I drove by the site at lunchtime, and there was a soil boring drill in operation on the taller tower site, not the shorter hotel portion.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2022, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
I drove by the site at lunchtime, and there was a soil boring drill in operation on the taller tower site, not the shorter hotel portion.
Thanks for the update. That would be exciting if that project gets underway in the next few months.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2022, 8:44 PM

The Point's renderings has mostly structured parking, multi-story office and residential buildings, planned green spaces, commercial mostly confined to the bottom floor of multi-story buildings, at least some level of pedestrian connectivity, and planned direct integration of transit.

Jordan Landing has no residential, very little office space, no pedestrian-oriented development whatsoever, basically no transit access, no green space, and way way more surface parking. It is 100% a suburban strip mall with a couple of hotels and a tiny bit of office space.

I agree it's underwhelming. I've expressed my opinion on The Point before. But yes, saying it's going to be like Jordan Landing is just misleading and disingenuous. Maybe it was harsh to say it was a lie, but based on what we've seen, it's just a flat-out incorrect statement.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2022, 11:34 PM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattreedah View Post
I am generally fine with it BUT 1) wish they hadn’t scrapped trax and 2) don’t want a stadium there over downtown
Don't worry. Salt Lake isn't getting a MLB team anytime soon. Probably not for a couple decades and who knows what the valley's landscape will look like at that point?

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 1:02 AM

Am I being disingenuous, or have I lived here long enough to see every planned development get down graded? If completed, The Point will be less than what’s shown in renderings, and what’s seen in the renderings now already ain’t anything to look forward to.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West