HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 27, 2024, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-V-R View Post
I have long wished Winston would purchase the out of use rail line that goes from downtown out to Stratford Road and ultimately to Clemmons. It starts in the Industry Hill area then goes through West End right past the Hawthorne Hill medical campus, down Stratford past Ardmore, Thruway and Hanes Mall. You could figure out a way to extend it from Industry Hill to the IQ and then north to Wake Forest and you'd have about 80% of everything you want covered by light rail. This is the line I'm referring to:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...547213156&z=14
I like the idea. Has it been put forward to city leadership?

Old Posted Aug 28, 2024, 1:39 PM
Fourth and Main

That rail line is one of the two lines being studied to return Amtrak service to Winston-Salem (Charlotte to Winston-Salem service). The railroad still sees value in the line (for freight), even though a wooden trestle would have to be replaced to bring it back into service, along with other upgrades. The idea being pitched (I think I posted this last year?) would create a bike and walking trail next to that rail line, while keeping the rail line for any future rail transportation and freight uses. I haven't seen an update on the trail since then, but the Amtrak project for that line was in the news a month or two ago, when it became an NCDOT Winston-Salem UA transportation priority project. Those are the projects locals prioritize for future NCDOT funding. I worked with a social media friend to get the word-out about the rail project among local rail supporters and move it to the top of the list.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2024, 2:49 PM

Well, this is a great idea, but I reckon the owning railroad is just sitting on it in case they want to make a dollar or two. It’s difficult to imagine major freight activity through this are especially Stratford Road. I reckon there’s nothing that can be invoked for situations like this such as eminent domain.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2024, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
That rail line is one of the two lines being studied to return Amtrak service to Winston-Salem (Charlotte to Winston-Salem service). The railroad still sees value in the line (for freight), even though a wooden trestle would have to be replaced to bring it back into service, along with other upgrades. The idea being pitched (I think I posted this last year?) would create a bike and walking trail next to that rail line, while keeping the rail line for any future rail transportation and freight uses. I haven't seen an update on the trail since then, but the Amtrak project for that line was in the news a month or two ago, when it became an NCDOT Winston-Salem UA transportation priority project. Those are the projects locals prioritize for future NCDOT funding. I worked with a social media friend to get the word-out about the rail project among local rail supporters and move it to the top of the list.
Curious what the other rail line being studied is? There is a line that goes directly south from Union Station through Lexington and Salisbury on its way to Charlotte, so to me that one would make more sense than going west through town for a intercity rail service. I have no experience in rail management, so that could be wildly off and I'm pretty sure that line is in use for freight so it may not be compatible with passenger service.

Regardless this is all wishful thinking as it relates to a light rail and while it would be cool, I'm not sure we even need it at this point. I'm just saying that line is set up perfectly to connect the most important areas of the city and it isn't even in use.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2024, 8:19 PM

Quote:
The Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Schools Board of Education approved on Tuesday a $36.4 million construction bid for a new Brunson Elementary School, a long-awaited replacement for the current, aging school that sits on a floodplain on North Hawthorne Road.

The vote was split 6-3.
https://journalnow.com/news/local/ed...home-top-story

Old Posted Aug 29, 2024, 4:11 PM

Matthew, any update on whether construction on Byrum Apartments is still scheduled to begin by the end of this year?

Old Posted Aug 30, 2024, 12:59 AM
Fourth and Main

The Amtrak project is divided into two lines: A line from Winston-Salem's Union Station to Raleigh and another line from Winston-Salem's Union Station to Charlotte.

The last news/update I heard on The Byrum was: Demolition would start this summer, but we wouldn't see construction until next year. Have they started any demolition? I'm in another state, so I don't drive or walk past the site to know what is happening. Are workers removing anything for recycling or any workers removing remaining building contents or are any workers at the site?

I've heard nothing at all on Brookhyrst. That project has gone silent...

Old Posted Sep 1, 2024, 4:25 PM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these updates won't happen. I don't make any money from this and these updates are to share, with both locals and out-of-towners, what is happening in the city they love. Many people reading this are far-away and this allows them to see the projects. If you can, please support any local businesses or follow social pages sharing photographs and thank them.

I'm looking for details on a "Mystery Rendering" from STITCH Design Shop and, this week, we have a lot of updates on projects we haven't heard from in a while and maybe a project or two I didn't think we would find updates on! Lets get updated!

Video Link

Bailey Power Plant Tenants:

The Dutch Light is moving closer to completion. The stairs are the work of Viator Design & Construction and are now in place. Dutch Light said, "Murals, inspections, furniture deliveries…getting closer everyday!" The mural artist is Christina Parrish.

Credit: frontstreetcapital

Credit: frontstreetcapital

Credit: thedutchlightbar

4th and Green Apartments & Retail:
I don't see the tower crane on the downtown skyline, so I think they may have taken-down the tower crane? No, of course there aren't any photographs of this apartment and retail development. No one photographs this construction site and there isn't anything near it for it to appear in the background of photographs. Even the developer and general contractor haven't photographed this site since July and they restrict the site camera. They really insist on not getting any free advertising!

Stevens Center Renovation:

Credit: lunchboxdreamsmedia

Davidson County Growth:
3,000 housing units are under construction in Davidson County, with most of that growth in the northern part of the county, near Winston-Salem. They are looking into school construction and expansion.

Video Link

Metropolitan Mixed-use:

Thank you to my friend Winston Watchman for an update on this residential/retail/office development:

Credit: winstonwatchman

Transportation Technology Center:
Forsyth Tech will spend $7.3 million to expand its Transportation Technology Center. Workers will add 22,000-square-feet of new space and renovate 8,000-square-feet of existing space.

Salem Gymnastics Expansion:

This project is now under construction:

Credit: Salem Gymnastics & Swim

New Brunson Downtown Elementary School:
Shelco will start on this $36.4 million ($39.4 million including FFE) elementary school this month and it will be completed in Spring 2026, with first classes starting in Fall 2026. It will replace the former Thomasville Furniture Factory on the industrial far north end of downtown that was already demolished. This will be the first school constructed on a brownfield site in North Carolina.

Video Link

Video Link

Ziehl-Abegg North American Headquarters: Built!

This project is now completed!

Credit: landmarkbuildersinc

Downtown Housing Market:
Fader Real Estate is reporting: "We are happy to report that our downtown is back on track in a big way! Just this weekend we put three new downtown condos on the market. All three sold within 48 hours!"

Nucor Steel Mill:

Credit: Nucor

Credit: Nucor

Mystery Rendering:
I was informed that STITCH Design Shop is working on a tall building design at their Winston-Salem office. It's a reddish brick-colored design, with a podium and mid-rise tower rising above it. It could be a redesign of The Depot Hotel & Residences, across from Bailey Park, or maybe a proposal for the Hall of Justice site or maybe it's something completely different and not connected to those projects? I was told it's around the same (16-storey) height as The Depot Hotel & Residences renderings we've seen and it has that same red brick and red terracotta look. Maybe they reduced the podium to keep the alley and redesigned the tower for current residential/hotel demand? The tower is a little different, with a taller half and a slightly shorter extension on the side of it. I guess we shall see. If you have any information on this, you can message it to me confidentially. We all would like to know if it's something to be excited over. If you have information you can post below, please do so.

Radel North American Headquarters:
Did you think we would ever see an update on this project? Here it is! Thanks to Red Clay Design, we have photographs of their office space, a digital model, and a construction update from this summer! This is the North American headquarters for the rail, mining, defense, and industrial vehicle company.

Credit: redclaydesign

A look inside at their office space:

Construction Progress:

Your City

Old Posted Sep 3, 2024, 8:04 PM

Great update as usual, and thanks.

I go by the Byrum site almost daily going to Tuckers Tapyard and there has been no movement at all. I keep hoping to at least see some utility demarcation paint or something, but nothing yet.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2024, 1:36 AM

I heard that there has been a lot of interest in Fourth and Green Apartments and leasing has gone well. I think some active adult housing is a good mix for downtown. I have also heard some of the other apartment buildings are really loud either from downtown establishments or young residents. It is nice to have somewhere that hopefully is suited for more quiet, yet active residents.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2024, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston's finest View Post
I heard that there has been a lot of interest in Fourth and Green Apartments and leasing has gone well. I think some active adult housing is a good mix for downtown. I have also heard some of the other apartment buildings are really loud either from downtown establishments or young residents. It is nice to have somewhere that hopefully is suited for more quiet, yet active residents.
Good to hear Fourth and Green is leasing well. I hope lowering interest rates and a resilient economy will spur construction to begin soon on Byrum. With the completion of Fourth and Green, downtown now needs some major construction activity.

Last edited by DCMetroRaleigh; Sep 6, 2024 at 11:41 PM.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2024, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Colfax fresh produce distributor Foster USA committed Friday to opening a 165,000-square-foot facility on Lowery Street in Winston-Salem where it has pledged to create 165 jobs and relocate 140 jobs.

The company projects beginning construction of its new ripening rooms in December, with the new facility fully online in March.

Foster, which also operates as Foster Caviness Co. Inc., provides food for importers, retailers, food service operations, schools, prisons and restaurants.
https://journalnow.com/news/local/bu...home-top-story

Old Posted Sep 8, 2024, 1:31 PM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these updates won't happen. I don't make any money from this and these updates are to share, with both locals and out-of-towners, what is happening in the city they love. Many people reading this are far-away and this allows them to see the projects. If you can, please support any local businesses or follow social pages sharing photographs and thank them.

There are a lot of projects under construction, but not many photographs of their construction. I'm talking billions-of-dollars worth of construction! There's a 9-storey building under construction, but I can't find photographs of it! This week's update shows a few projects we haven't seen in a while. And, get ready for those Midtown renderings... In just two days! Let's get updated!

Lauren didn't give me a song for this week, so I get to pick one...
Video Link

4th and Green Apartments & Retail:
Remember Roediger House from WSTB? He read last week's post and wanted to share these with everyone here! An update on every side of the new apartment and retail building.

Credit: Roediger House

The Balladeer Hotel:
We haven't seen an update on this project in a long time! It's under construction and should open in 2026.

A new rendering of the lobby (look at the music/recording themes!):

Credit: Interior Image Group

Credit: ADA Drone

Credit: ADA Drone

Fogle Commons / IQ Infrastructure:

Credit: Jeff Nienaber

Midtown at Wake Forest University:
Excitement is building for this $500 million development, which includes a 100,000-square-foot office building, apartments, and retail village. We should have official renderings in two days and ground breaking is still set for later this year!

Stevens Center Renovation:

Credit: Sharon Williams Eng

Credit: William Crawford

Foster Cavannis Headquarters:
Foster Cavannis will move their headquarters to Winston-Salem and launch their Foster360 operation in Winston-Salem, in the former Purple Crow location at 2900 Lowry Street. The new location is at Salem Lake and on the Salem Creek Greenway.

Bailey Power Plant Tenants:
The Dutch Light Bar will have "a crafted cocktail menu highlighting herbal and floral flavors, an expansive wine list, draft & bottled beers, and carefully curated non-alcoholic options." ...for the growing number of young professionals who don't drink alcohol.

Credit: The Go-To Winston-Salem

African-American History Museum:
"Restoration is here! After almost a decade-long journey, the historic preservation of the Shotgun House Legacy Site is underway. Items such as the original bricks and interior window frames are all being salvaged and restored to their original glory. Stay tuned for the first ever Shotgun House site community event & activation in September!"

The photographer added a blur to the sides of the first two photographs... I'm not sure why?

Credit: triadculture

New Tenants/Leases:

Transworld Business Advisors has leased space on the 10th floor of Liberty Plaza in downtown Winston-Salem.

Salem Creek Business Park has another tenant! Landmark Builders will construct a 2,400-square-foot building for Aspire Heating and Cooling of Clemmons. The location is 2492 Salem Park Drive in Winston-Salem.

LAMBERT Architecture + Interiors will convert a flower shop at 816 Burke Street into a take-out restaurant called Thank You Restaurant. At roughly 780-square-feet, it's a small space that only works for take-out. At nearly $400,000 it's a big upfit, though much of that is likely expensive kitchen equipment? Burke Street wants more restaurants, so this should be a welcomed addition.

Thomasville Furniture Industries Site Redevelopment:
The old Thomasville Furniture Industries complex, in Davidson County, was demolished recently, as the City of Thomasville gets serious about reusing or demolishing vacant industrial buildings. According to the city, this site is well located for a mixed-use development.

Video Link

1007 South Marshall:
1007 South Marshall Street is ready to start on their parking.

Thomasville Wellness & Education Center:
This is the $17.2 million adaptive-reuse of the 18,000-square-foot former Davidson County Health Department Building by Novant Health. Chronic disease management, behavioral health, a rehabilitation gym, education, and more will be the new uses for the building. It will also have Davidson County's first outpatient intensive therapy program. Education will include nutrition classes and a conference space. This building should reduce the load on the Novant Health Thomasville Medical Center emergency department, while also lowering the cost of care. Shelco is the General Contractor and completion is set for Spring 2025.

Credit: Novant Health

Credit: Thomasville Chamber of Commerce

Video Link

1913 Lord & Burnham Conservatory Restoration:

Credit: winston_360

Credit: winston_360

Alternative Transportation:

Crosswalk at Northwest & Hawthorne:
Designs seeking NC DOT approval for the crosswalk at Wiley Middle School's Northwest Boulevard and Hawthorne Road intersection. The "Twist" design is favored, since it's most likely to gain NC DOT approval.

Credit: Elizabeth Coyne & Sarah Snider Green

Rails-to-Trails Bicycle Commuter Highway Expansion:
The City has hired Kimley-Horn and Associates Inc., to design the extension, with groundbreaking scheduled for the fourth quarter of 2025. Construction is expected to take roughly one year, with completion set for the end of 2026. In breaking news: They want to extend this path north of Twenty-fifth Street, which requires negotiations with the North Carolina Railroad. Right now, City Council wants to be sure this doesn't threaten any possibility of bringing passenger rail service to the rail line next to the path.

Salem Parkway Bike & Pedestrian Path:

Credit: AM2GfgCyKt0

Off-Subject:

Creative Corridors:
Remember the dandelion project, with a 40 foot/12.2 metre dandelion at the Salem Parkway ramp (near the ballpark) and dandelion bouquets on the Church Street Bridge? Yes, it's still active! The artists are on schedule, but they can't install the sculptures until every project on this end of Salem Parkway is completed, which is likely some time in 2025? And they need a contractor to complete the installation work, which they are having issues getting bids for. It does appear as if this project will happen. We just have to wait on it.

Utility Box Art:

Approved artwork for utility boxes (Sorry, I don't have the address for the last image's utility box):

Credit: City of Winston-Salem

Your City

Old Posted Sep 9, 2024, 9:24 PM

Thanks for the great update, Matthew. So, the Wake Forest Midtown development is confirmed to be announced tomorrow?

Old Posted Sep 9, 2024, 10:13 PM

100,000 sf of office space? That would almost have to be build to suit. Maybe Wake Forest is going to take most or all of it? Still seems incredibly difficult to pull off in the current environment.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2024, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Huntington [Bank] said in a legal notice Sept. 3 that the branch would be located in the 751 West Fourth commercial building that’s on the corner of Fourth and Broad streets in the West End neighborhood. The application was filed Aug. 27 to the U.S. Office of the Comptroller of the Currency.
https://journalnow.com/news/local/wi...home-top-story

Old Posted Sep 10, 2024, 2:20 AM
Fourth and Main

If you want to see how long it takes the local news to catch-up with my social media posts and this thread at SSP, look at this (Huntington Bank at 751 West Fourth was reported May 19, 2024 on this thread!): https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...postcount=1311

Nearly four months before the local news covered it! That building is also considered downtown.

My reaction to "100,000-square-feet of office space" at the Midtown project was: What building or buildings will they take a tenant or tenants from? It does show that office vacancy rate doesn't matter. If a tenant wants new build-to-suit space or tenants are looking for newer space with the latest amenities, developers can build new office buildings. I would prefer to have this downtown in a mixed-use building at the courthouse site, though. If it brings one or more new office tenants to the city, I will be happy anywhere it's located. It should strengthen the Whitaker Park area as a place to work, while also helping to add more live and maybe play options.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2024, 11:50 AM

Is a press conference scheduled for the Midtown Wake Forest development?

Old Posted Sep 10, 2024, 1:25 PM

Here it is. Midtown Wake Forest is to be known as "The Grounds".
https://www.visitthegrounds.com/news...loqua&rid=3956

Old Posted Sep 10, 2024, 1:30 PM

It looks great. The office space will be leased to WFU, which makes sense. I believe their campus master plan is converting some office space to academic space, and that office space has to go somewhere. Putting it here, in what will be an attractive building surrounded by retails/restaurants and still linked to campus, should help with hiring.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations