HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 14, 2017, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkydivePilot View Post
Let's keep our fingers crossed. 👍
Probably need a few U.S. flights restored first.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Probably need a few U.S. flights restored first.
Would it not help restore those flights having U.S customs in place or is it that you need the flights to make the U.S customs there viable? Could it be the plan to secure an American carrier AND launch U.S customs at the same time?

Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
Would it not help restore those flights having U.S customs in place or is it that you need the flights to make the U.S customs there viable? Could it be the plan to secure an American carrier AND launch U.S customs at the same time?
Do you think it would be viable for USCBP officers to be set up at our two airports? Even if we had a couple of extra flights, it doesn't seem like it would make sense economically to me anyway.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robag View Post
Do you think it would be viable for USCBP officers to be set up at our two airports? Even if we had a couple of extra flights, it doesn't seem like it would make sense economically to me anyway.
At Saskatoon it would probably be two half day shifts one from 4:00 AM in the morning until 8:00 AM and another from 2:00 pm to 5:00 pm to cover the Delta flights. The Las Vegas flights fit somewhere in their. Each shift would process under 100 passengers. You probably don't need a lot of people, but still I don't see it working for a number of years.

The USCBP officers are also Americans that are posted in these locations for a couple of years before rotating back home. Recruiting for Saskatoon and Regina is a little bit more challenging that the bigger cities.

Not certain it works but who knows.

Here in Victoria we have pre-clearance at two port locations covering three lines (the Black Ball Line, Washington State Ferries and the high-speed catamaran service).

Vancouver has pre-clearance at the airport, train station and cruise ship port. I believe it is a single pool of people that get split between location as needed.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2017, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bess View Post
I don't think this will happen.

Honestly, i find adding US CBP at places like YXE and YQR is a waste of time. There are what, a few hundred passengers/ day travelling to the States from these locations.

it's a waste of time and resources, especially YQR, which doesn't have a single US carrier and only seasonal service by WS. It's not going to be US CBP that will bring a flurry of US carriers or US destinations back to YQR. It's the economy and the willingness of the community to travel.

Even YQB, which is busier than YXE or YQR and has up to 6 carriers operating services to the US, is marginal in my books in terms of adding US CBP.

I understand YTZ's business case for US CBP. YTZ is an overall busier airport, has more flights to the States, and caters to a business community that would benefit greatly from this, but I fail to see how US CBP will add US flights to YXE and YQR that they don't already have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robag View Post
100% agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
At Saskatoon it would probably be two half day shifts one from 4:00 AM in the morning until 8:00 AM and another from 2:00 pm to 5:00 pm to cover the Delta flights. The Las Vegas flights fit somewhere in their. Each shift would process under 100 passengers. You probably don't need a lot of people, but still I don't see it working for a number of years.
This right here is reason enough not to put US CBP at YXE or YQR. If they have to work "split shifts" in order to cover 1 or 2 flights, that's reason enough to can this project.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2017, 4:42 PM

The main thing you are overlooking is that the US want it to be in Canada. The entire policy is based on keeping people out of the United States completely if wanted.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 7:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoflyzone View Post
It's the economy and the willingness of the community to travel [from YQR].
From what I understand, Delta's and United's load factors were plenty fine, over 80% if I trust what I recall. There was nothing wrong with the Saskatchewan economy in this regard, nor the willingness of the community to travel.

What was wrong was that the US subsidizes small US airports, so the US airlines could make more money flying their small jets to US cities with subsidies.

The fact that YQR airport traffic increased despite losing 200 US seats a day for most of the year last year bodes well for the return of US carriers, and the more I think about it, the more it makes sense that Alaska is that airline.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 1:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
From what I understand, Delta's and United's load factors were plenty fine, over 80% if I trust what I recall. There was nothing wrong with the Saskatchewan economy in this regard, nor the willingness of the community to travel.

What was wrong was that the US subsidizes small US airports, so the US airlines could make more money flying their small jets to US cities with subsidies.

The fact that YQR airport traffic increased despite losing 200 US seats a day for most of the year last year bodes well for the return of US carriers, and the more I think about it, the more it makes sense that Alaska is that airline.
I completely agree! I flew Regina to Denver often throughout the year when united was operating and it was a packed flight every time.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2017, 8:41 PM

Another award for Saskatoon airport

http://saskatoon.ctvnews.ca/saskatoo...gers-1.3312611

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 6:15 PM

If this really happens this could be good for Regina and Saskatoon, time will tell

http://www.bnn.ca/sky-s-the-limit-fo...rline-1.689782

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 6:56 PM

Quote:
If this really happens this could be good for Regina and Saskatoon, time will tell

http://www.bnn.ca/sky-s-the-limit-fo...rline-1.689782
Sounds just like New Leaf, which was a bust

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 7:44 PM

Thanks for nothing Stormer, I was going to say that

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 1:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Sounds just like New Leaf, which was a bust
Except New Leaf is just leasing planes, and I would love Canada Jetlines to succeed as New Leaf sure left a sour taste in everyone's mouths regarding Sask. I would love a third option from Regina to the Toronto area.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 3:40 PM

We should give Canadian Jetlines a chance; you never know. Westjet was once very small during its infancy.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 4:15 PM

Quote:
We should give Canadian Jetlines a chance; you never know. Westjet was once very small during its infancy.
Agreed!

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 7:01 PM
ConstructionPete

Quote:
Another award for Saskatoon airport

http://saskatoon.ctvnews.ca/saskatoo...gers-1.3312611
I wonder if these awards actually produce any positive outcome for the airport other than a trophy and a news story. The awards they received last year does not appear to have produced any results I.e additional flights or carriers. Looks like another participation ribbon in a popularity contest.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 7:18 PM

Quote:
As long as Canadian Jetlines doesn't pull the "we fly here, or wait changed or mind no we don't" approach New Leaf has been using they should have better success off the start. I might be willing to accept some of the other things you give up with an ultra low cost carrier but not knowing if your scheduled flight home will never occur because the airline changed in business plan with minimal notice is going to keep me well away from New Leaf.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2017, 5:33 PM

YXE Baggage Handling

YXE can promote their renos and passenger counts and and marketing awards, but until they figure out how to unload your baggage in less than 30 minutes they will be nothing more than a dinky little airport, in my eyes.

Flew back Sat. Night from Toronto & another flight from Vancouver arrived 5 minutes before us, so their baggage handling "system" was to unload all the YVR baggage first, then the Toronto baggage after that - and all on the same carousel. Why?! Why can't they unload more than one flight at at time? Why can't they use more than one carousel? It was well and truly 30 minutes before we got our bags and ours were among the first off the Toronto flight. Honestly I've flown into YQR and their baggage handling is actually more efficient.

YXE's new marketing slogan should be "we'll show you 3 shiny baggage carousels, but we'll only ever use one!"

Old Posted Mar 12, 2017, 10:48 PM
ConstructionPete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidson View Post
YXE Baggage Handling

YXE can promote their renos and passenger counts and and marketing awards, but until they figure out how to unload your baggage in less than 30 minutes they will be nothing more than a dinky little airport, in my eyes.

Flew back Sat. Night from Toronto & another flight from Vancouver arrived 5 minutes before us, so their baggage handling "system" was to unload all the YVR baggage first, then the Toronto baggage after that - and all on the same carousel. Why?! Why can't they unload more than one flight at at time? Why can't they use more than one carousel? It was well and truly 30 minutes before we got our bags and ours were among the first off the Toronto flight. Honestly I've flown into YQR and their baggage handling is actually more efficient.

YXE's new marketing slogan should be "we'll show you 3 shiny baggage carousels, but we'll only ever use one!"
I guess this would be something to share with SAA. Obviously they'd not be happy to know the baggage handlers aren't using the equipment that they spent tens of thousands of dollars on; thus providing poor service to the travelling public.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 4:40 PM

YXE Baggage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidson View Post
YXE Baggage Handling

I have never had any delay in Saskatoon in getting my baggage and I can't recall ever having to wait more than 15 minutes let alone 30 minutes. I hope your experience is by far the exception. A couple of weeks ago I flew in from Las Vegas. Our bags were on the carousel before we got through customs and we were close to the front of the line.

Last time I flew into Phoenix it took 15 minutes to walk from the gate to the baggage carousel and then it took another 45 minutes for the bags to arrive. A full hour from walking off the plane to walking out of the airport.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan