HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 1, 2011, 4:35 PM
Baltimore

I never understood why the superbowl loves to come to Miami. I have lived here for over five years now I agree there is a lot to do, but the location is horrible to host events. The stadium is in the middle of suburban slum and parking lots which is half way between Miami and Fort Lauderdale. NOLA has a much better set up. I guess white sandy beaches can go a long way when attracting events.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2011, 3:24 AM

Imagine how upset other cities would be if the Superbowl were permanently held in NO.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2011, 5:29 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisianaRush View Post
I never understood why the superbowl loves to come to Miami. I have lived here for over five years now I agree there is a lot to do, but the location is horrible to host events. The stadium is in the middle of suburban slum and parking lots which is half way between Miami and Fort Lauderdale. NOLA has a much better set up. I guess white sandy beaches can go a long way when attracting events.
Miami is sexy. New Orleans, in the minds of visitors, is sleazy. Just look at how many "fashion" hotels we have (maybe 2 or 3) compared to the tons of slick, classy, new or renovated places in Miami Beach.

I wonder if Miami/NOLA/LA's combined dominance (26 Super Bowls) will erode now that many, more populous Northern cities have domed stadiums. Detroit, New York, Indy, St. Louis, and Minneapolis all have domes now.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2011, 6:44 AM

new york's new stadium does not have a dome

Old Posted Jan 2, 2011, 10:00 AM
TL;DR

You're right, I was thinking of Phoenix. New Meadowlands is open-air.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2011, 6:38 PM
Baltimore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Miami is sexy. New Orleans, in the minds of visitors, is sleazy. Just look at how many "fashion" hotels we have (maybe 2 or 3) compared to the tons of slick, classy, new or renovated places in Miami Beach.

I wonder if Miami/NOLA/LA's combined dominance (26 Super Bowls) will erode now that many, more populous Northern cities have domed stadiums. Detroit, New York, Indy, St. Louis, and Minneapolis all have domes now.
Oh I agree Miami is sexier, but everything is so spread out. When we held it last year the events were spread out from Miami to Fort Lauderdale to Palm Beach. I hope one day we build a new stadium closer to downtown like the new Marlins stadium, but that is not going to happen any time soon because Sun Life is too new (built in the 80's).

Old Posted Jan 3, 2011, 7:16 PM

Saw that work has started on the old St.Charles Hospital renovation near touro. Was able to find a rendering.

http://www.touro.com/content/pressre...inor=0&major=1

http://jackieclarkson.com/blog/page/6/

Old Posted Jan 3, 2011, 7:32 PM
-

Someone should put a restaurant on top of that thing. Views would be pretty great Id imagine.

A little off topic but does anyone have any suggestions on a great site to host pictures from. id like to post pictures Im taking for use on the forum and wanted to get recommendations for a site. Was thinking Flickr but curious if there is anything else.

Thanks

Old Posted Jan 3, 2011, 8:06 PM

Don't know a lot of them but I think imageshack is pretty good. Would love to see the pics.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2011, 10:13 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by sguil1 View Post
Don't know a lot of them but I think imageshack is pretty good. Would love to see the pics.
Dont get too excited lol but I would like to post pics of some of the things I have on my iphone.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2011, 10:14 PM
TL;DR

Not the most attractive renovation (why do doctors offices need balconies?) but I'm glad to get that creepy abandoned thing back in business.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2011, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Dont get too excited lol but I would like to post pics of some of the things I have on my iphone.
http://imageshack.us/ is the website I use to upload photos from my computer or iphone to put on this website.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2011, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
A little off topic but does anyone have any suggestions on a great site to host pictures from. id like to post pictures Im taking for use on the forum and wanted to get recommendations for a site. Was thinking Flickr but curious if there is anything else.
Panoramio (http://www.panoramio.com) is pretty cool. You can tag your pictures with its location so it'll pop up on a google map as people zoom into the area.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2011, 1:33 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgpatel View Post
Panoramio (http://www.panoramio.com) is pretty cool. You can tag your pictures with its location so it'll pop up on a google map as people zoom into the area.

Thanks I never knew that may have to try that one...

Also, ardecila I could be wrong but I think that building has balconies already....

Old Posted Jan 4, 2011, 3:32 AM
TL;DR

It does have balconies already. But they're already gutting the building to its concrete skeleton, so they could remove the balconies easily by cutting back the floor slabs. They're odd for a medical building.

I guess they're okay. I can't really tell from the rendering what the railing is made of, but it looks kinda like the chunky wooden balustrade that's up there now. It looks awful. They should put in something a bit more modern.

I just noticed the entrance canopy on the ground level. That's pretty neat, and it reminds me of the modernist one at St. Charles and Jackson.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2011, 4:45 AM

Balconies

Quote:
It does have balconies already. But they're already gutting the building to its concrete skeleton, so they could remove the balconies easily by cutting back the floor slabs. They're odd for a medical building.

I guess they're okay. I can't really tell from the rendering what the railing is made of, but it looks kinda like the chunky wooden balustrade that's up there now. It looks awful. They should put in something a bit more modern.

I just noticed the entrance canopy on the ground level. That's pretty neat, and it reminds me of the modernist one at St. Charles and Jackson.
This may be a historic district thing (not sure if this section of St. Charles falls into it). Lots of new buildings get built with awkward balconies and columns and end up horribly faux historic. (see also the hideous First NBC branch at St. Charles and Louisiana)

Old Posted Jan 4, 2011, 4:49 AM

Life inside the footprint

I found this blog which is pretty good for keeping up with the clearing of the VA and LSU footprints. The guy pretty much hates the project (given his circumstances, this is understandable) but he does bring up many of the same points others have brought up. Hopefully he keeps this level of documentation up during construction (not sure if he has to move or lives near by. Anyway the site is (not sure if it's going to censor me here) : http://insidethefootprint.blogspot.c...footprint.html

I was going to take some pictures for the forum, but this site pretty well somes it up.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2011, 5:06 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueingreen View Post
This may be a historic district thing (not sure if this section of St. Charles falls into it). Lots of new buildings get built with awkward balconies and columns and end up horribly faux historic. (see also the hideous First NBC branch at St. Charles and Louisiana)
First NBC should fire whoever is designing their banks. Must be the ugliest things Ive seen built in a long time.

BTW, I wonder when we are going to get updated design info for the University Medical Center?

Old Posted Jan 4, 2011, 5:15 AM
TL;DR

I don't have a huge problem with the First NBC building. It's tacky and faux-historic, but it's exactly the right size and shape for its corner location. The building comes right up to the corner, and the drive-thru curb cuts are kept small. Too bad the city couldn't coordinate the curb cuts with the McDonalds next door.

In contrast, the Capital One at Napoleon is very well-designed for a traditional building, but it's underscaled (much shorter than the mansions around it) and it sits on a sea of pavement because the drivethru is a massive six-lane monstrosity.

Good site planning is just as important as good architecture - maybe even more so, because it controls how the city functions, not just how it looks.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2011, 6:39 PM
-

Quote:
I don't have a huge problem with the First NBC building. It's tacky and faux-historic, but it's exactly the right size and shape for its corner location. The building comes right up to the corner, and the drive-thru curb cuts are kept small. Too bad the city couldn't coordinate the curb cuts with the McDonalds next door.

In contrast, the Capital One at Napoleon is very well-designed for a traditional building, but it's underscaled (much shorter than the mansions around it) and it sits on a sea of pavement because the drivethru is a massive six-lane monstrosity.

Good site planning is just as important as good architecture - maybe even more so, because it controls how the city functions, not just how it looks.
We will just have to agree to disagree on that one. I can understand your scaling thoughts, but at the end of the day that First NBC will age horribly and is going to look worse than the Rite Aid on Lousiana and St Charles. The other branches they have built around the metro area are even uglier too.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations