HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jan 17, 2022, 8:41 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugsley View Post
Does anyone have any background infor or insights into this? Would be great to get a faster direct link to New England for Southern New Brunswick and Saint John.
The short answer is that there isn't anything planned to twin Route 9 from Bangor to Calais. My understanding is that there's been incremental work on passing lanes and various small improvements over the years.

There are current plans to connect the I-395 to Route 9 east of Brewer/Bangor - an extension of roughly 8km. Plans can be found here: https://www.maine.gov/mdot/projects/I395rt9connector/

AFAIK there isn't enough AADT on the route to warrant much. The AADT counter in Beddington, roughly equidistant between Calais and Bangor, registers roughly 1.3K daily trips these days. Pre-COVID the trips sat between 2.7-2.8K daily.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2022, 9:33 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

I find that plan a bit ironic because, at that point, I-395 parallels I-95 so much that it may be better off building a connector between ME-9 and I-95 instead.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2022, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
I find that plan a bit ironic because, at that point, I-395 parallels I-95 so much that it may be better off building a connector between ME-9 and I-95 instead.
I-395 also connects people with route 1a which takes the travelling public to costal Maine, Ellsworth /bar Harbor etc. I agree a highway from route 9 to route 95 20 miles on this side of Bangor would be helpful.

Last edited by PEI highway guy; Jan 17, 2022 at 10:42 PM.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2022, 12:39 AM

Yeah it’s funny there isn’t a single crossing of the penobscot River between Bangor and Old Town. That would surely help alleviate some of the traffic problems.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 5:48 PM

Here are some interesting news stories from the 80s to the late 90s regarding NB's highway history.:

https://www.cbc.ca/archives/when-n-b...hway-1.5660357

https://www.cbc.ca/archives/how-n-b-...oths-1.4966224

Does anyone remember where the toll booth in the second story was? All I know is somewhere between Moncton and Fredericton.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 5:58 PM

Hmm I was out of the province when it went through its Toll phase. I vaguely remember one set of tollbooths outside Fredericton, but on the Freddy-Woodstock stretch. (I think that Link is where it was, on that wide curve with a big rock cutout/flattened area)

The News Article above mentions River Glade, NB which would be where the TCH and Route 1 meet up. Looking on Google Maps there is a cleared part just before the junction where maybe toll booths used to be. Otherwise I have no clue.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 7:14 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

I remember watching one of those a few year ago!
By the way, were there toll booths at the interchange with N.B.-101 outside of Freddy? That interchange looks weird otherwise.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
Hmm I was out of the province when it went through its Toll phase. I vaguely remember one set of tollbooths outside Fredericton, but on the Freddy-Woodstock stretch. (I think that Link is where it was, on that wide curve with a big rock cutout/flattened area)

The News Article above mentions River Glade, NB which would be where the TCH and Route 1 meet up. Looking on Google Maps there is a cleared part just before the junction where maybe toll booths used to be. Otherwise I have no clue.
Yes, IIRC they were just east of the junction and west of the Homestead Road overpass.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
I remember watching one of those a few year ago!
By the way, were there toll booths at the interchange with N.B.-101 outside of Freddy? That interchange looks weird otherwise.
Nope, they were somewhere west of the city although I can't remember exactly where. I'm not sure I ever drove through those.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 7:46 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
It was located between River Glade and Salisbury. Any evidence of the toll booths has been completely eradicated. I only ever went through the toll booth once. They only existed for a few months before the "shadow tolls" were instituted.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
Yes, IIRC they were just east of the junction and west of the Homestead Road overpass.
I believe you are correct. I remember when the first phase of the highway opened and the highway ended at the Homestead road and then they built the tolls right there when the next section opened.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 11:01 PM

There were two toll booths. The eastern ones were in fact between River Glade and Salisbury, and I suspect they were about here. Google Earth low-res archival images show a blob there built when that section opens and disappearing a few years later.

As for the western one, I don't think it was at the spot indicated by Taeolas, simply because it wouldn't be on a curved stretch. It was however somewhere between exits 258 and 280, as Longs Creek is where the MRDC section ends.

The shape of the New Maryland interchange is another interesting question. The elongated ramp was apparently built 1-2 years after the others, though I can't figure out why. A quick look on GeoNB shows parcel boundaries that could fit another WB onramp, but this was never built. The awkward intersection of those ramps seems improvised or modified after the fact, so it may have been a safety improvement once the highway was fully open. The rumour I've heard from New Maryland residents a few times is that this is due to an indigenous burial site being discovered, but that doesn't explain why this would be built afterward. A similar situation played out at the Route 2/Route 7 interchange in Oromocto, as the land acquired from the military leaves plenty of room and the correct shape for a larger, fully directional ramp from Route 2 WB to Route 7 SB.

Another curiosity is a pre-1990 planned alignment of Route 2 immediately west of Fredericton.

This seems to have been cleared before 1985 and is still visible when driving along Deerwood Drive. Is there anybody who can remember what happened here? Was there a Hatfield-era attempt at twinning Route 2? Another thing I've struggled to clarify is the previous configuration of ramps at the former Route 2(current Route 8) interchange with Hanwell Road.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2022, 4:51 PM

Apparently Nova Scotia's Highway 102 Exit 8A (Lantz Connector) opened last month.

Quote:
The Lantz interchange officially opened today, December 23. The completed project includes:

four new ramps forming a diamond interchange
a roundabout at each intersection of on- and off-ramps
a kilometre-long controlled access connector road linking Highway 102 to Trunk 2
a roundabout at Trunk 2
two new three-lane bridges over Nine Mile River on Highway 102
widening of both the northbound and southbound lanes of Highway 102.
Press Release

Google Maps

Shows how much of a lockdown we're in. Usually I travel the full length of 102 regularly.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2022, 10:49 PM

Bathurst Bypass, Route 11, New Brunswick
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBtN7R1jHdQ

Old Posted Feb 19, 2022, 8:51 PM

Moncton, Route 15 and Trans-Canada Highway 2.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0d4gH4qKC8

Old Posted Feb 19, 2022, 10:13 PM

Short video I took showing Nova Scotia's newest interchange;

Highway 102 Exit 8A - Lantz Connector

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 18, 2022, 9:51 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

I just noticed: The newly twinned portion of N.S.-103 still has a speed limit of 100 km/h…
https://goo.gl/maps/wAt91KcpKqWDhFAJ7

Old Posted Apr 12, 2022, 7:03 PM

Hello, I've been reading forms on Skyscraper for a few years now but this is my first post.

Just this last weekend, I traveled to Halifax entering on the 102 and noticed that Halifax has changed a lot since I was last there. It felt like traffic is heavier then I remembered. Is there any traffic counts for highway 102 between 101 & 103 for 2022? I feel like its justifiable to have three lanes in each direction in this area. Thoughts? Dose the city or province have any future plans for the 102?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2022, 7:11 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Old Posted Apr 12, 2022, 7:14 PM

Thank you!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces