HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted May 15, 2019, 8:40 PM
Skyriser

I swear I'm not getting senile in my advancing age. I've only ever had this latest incarnation as a single-phase project but they do what they want without telling me.

Old Posted May 15, 2019, 8:41 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
PHX business journos get half their info from us anyway
I agree!

Old Posted May 15, 2019, 9:09 PM

I noticed today that there is TI work going on at the old Tom's Tavern space at Ren Square. I don't think anything has been announced yet for that corner??

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 4:07 AM

Today I noticed a chain-link fence around the lot on the southwest corner of 3rd Avenue and Roosevelt. I don't know if that means it's about to be demoed.

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 2:31 PM
Modulator

Took a gander at the X Phoenix site last night. Fencing is up and a full bulldozers and a backhoe are onsite. Construction is being done by UEB (not surprising), so I'd expect a webcam to go up on UEB's site soon. On a side note, X is going to have a massive footprint. I didn't realize how big the site is. Awesome to see this site actually moving after the Golub proposal never happened...which I am glad!

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 4:17 PM
self-important urbanista

This morning, I observed a crew taking down the big three-way billboard at Central & Camelback. Unfortunately, I don't think this should be seen as sign of imminent development. Instead, it's part of an
interim plan to improve the vacant lot on the southwest corner while the owner continues to bank the land.

http://northcentralnews.net/2018/com...eded-makeover/

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
This morning, I observed a crew taking down the big three-way billboard at Central & Camelback. Unfortunately, I don't think this should be seen as sign of imminent development. Instead, it's part of an
interim plan to improve the vacant lot on the southwest corner while the owner continues to bank the land.

http://northcentralnews.net/2018/com...eded-makeover/
The Business Journal posted a list of apartments in the pipeline a few days ago, I believe someone posted the article on the forum, within the article was a list of perspective apartment building that Kasten Long Commercial Group had put together, which was done last August, anyway it lists 120 units on the SW corner of Central and Camelback. I looked through the list to see if they were referring to the lot that was cleared just south of the intersection a couple years ago, but that one, “Omninet West” is shown separately. Omninet East and One Camelback are also shown. Not sure if this means something is finally moving forward on the property as no one has posted any permits... but there appears to be something in the works.

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 5:44 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxMatt View Post
The Business Journal posted a list of apartments in the pipeline a few days ago, I believe someone posted the article on the forum, within the article was a list of perspective apartment building that Kasten Long Commercial Group had put together, which was done last August, anyway it lists 120 units on the SW corner of Central and Camelback. I looked through the list to see if they were referring to the lot that was cleared just south of the intersection a couple years ago, but that one, “Omninet West” is shown separately. Omninet East and One Camelback are also shown. Not sure if this means something is finally moving forward on the property as no one has posted any permits... but there appears to be something in the works.
120 units sounds about right if the plan is to go with something around six stories. In the last boom, there were ambitious plans for something far taller, but there was inevitable neighborhood opposition from the adjacent historic districts.

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 5:50 PM

Demo permit issued yesterday for the 'West Tower' at Banner. I assume that's the space-age-looking tower? Not something I'm going to protest, but it is kind of too bad--I like the look of it. Same time, I imagine its not very in line with current hospital requirements/expectations.

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Demo permit issued yesterday for the 'West Tower' at Banner. I assume that's the space-age-looking tower? Not something I'm going to protest, but it is kind of too bad--I like the look of it. Same time, I imagine its not very in line with current hospital requirements/expectations.
I was under the impression the old tower would eventually be demo'd to make way for another new tower... can't remember where I got that from though.

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 6:29 PM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxMatt View Post
The Ominnets are dead last I checked and owned separately. I believe on the actual SWC of Central and Camelback the city forced the property owners into a cleanup of that intersection while they move forward with a high rise project that will never get funded.

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 6:40 PM
Modulator

I posted an update on the Banner demo a few weeks ago. The old 11 story tower is staying for another 10 to 11 years. They are demo'ing the West tower which is the 6 story tower just in front of the new tower.

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
I posted an update on the Banner demo a few weeks ago. The old 11 story tower is staying for another 10 to 11 years. They are demo'ing the West tower which is the 6 story tower just in front of the new tower.
Oh you know what I remember that now, my bad. Nice that we can have the 11 story at least a few more years.

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 7:00 PM
Skyriser

Didnt they build the West Tower as part of their ER expansion like 10 or 15 years ago?

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 8:26 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
The Ominnets are dead last I checked and owned separately. I believe on the actual SWC of Central and Camelback the city forced the property owners into a cleanup of that intersection while they move forward with a high rise project that will never get funded.
That's my impression as well. The removal of the billboard is one of several steps to make the vacant lot slightly less ugly while waiting for big plans to be realized. Other actions that have already occurred include the creation of pedestrian paths between the corner and the light rail platforms, installation of a bike rack, and the addition of an ADA parking lot that is closer to the platforms than the current park-and-ride.

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 9:08 PM

those "omninet" parcels were clearly a land-grab by someone who saw the demand coming and wanted to flip a build-ready parcel.

Old Posted May 18, 2019, 11:05 PM

Noticed last night the Stewart had colorful alternating lights for the shade-like structure atop the building. Easily seen from a distance and looks really nice, glad to see this project finally wrapped up and tenants moving into the building.

Next, the Link phase 1!

Old Posted May 18, 2019, 11:14 PM

Scrolling around, found out that the bar opening in the former Short Leash Space will be called The Theodore. Judging by its logo, it's somewhat based on the more adventurous of the Roosevelts'. It'll be a beer and wine bar, with a delivery date in August.

Old Posted May 19, 2019, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
Scrolling around, found out that the bar opening in the former Short Leash Space will be called The Theodore. Judging by its logo, it's somewhat based on the more adventurous of the Roosevelts'. It'll be a beer and wine bar, with a delivery date in August.
It’s the Wandering Tortoise owner. So expect along those lines.

Old Posted May 19, 2019, 7:34 PM

Is it just my imagination, or have there been a huge amount of trees planted along sidewalks in downtown very recently? Especially Chinese Pistachio, which I think are really cool trees in those settings.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest