HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classical in Phoenix View Post
Looks like a pie in the sky plan from 1983 but, hell if something like that gets built ill be happy LOL

considering the toll brothers are building 400 units across the street on a bigger parcel.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Looks like a pie in the sky plan from 1983 but, hell if something like that gets built ill be happy LOL

considering the toll brothers are building 400 units across the street on a bigger parcel.
I think "pie in the sky" is a good description. As for Toll Brothers, I agree with what Biggus said on the other thread, let's see them do something with Thomas. Also, I believe the last we heard they were going to break ground on Filmore in April.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 5:04 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classical in Phoenix View Post
I think "pie in the sky" is a good description. As for Toll Brothers, I agree with what Biggus said on the other thread, let's see them do something with Thomas. Also, I believe the last we heard they were going to break ground on Filmore in April.
Yea. I also agree with Biggus on this. Plus, I think the Toll Brothers apartments are way too suburban for this area. That design needs to be revisited. I think we are way past this kind of development. People are flocking to the core. We don't need just anything we can throw on that lot built. At least a couple ground retail spots and garage instead of all that sun baking pavement.

As for the bigger development, I'm sure we are going to see lots of tweaks and design changes to this. I personally think the taller towers need to be on the corner addressing the road instead of in the back against the park. As is, the Block the Tower people are going to have a field day with this.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 9:31 PM
Skyriser

Toll Brothers is not working on Fillmore, that's the Trammel Crow project that isn't going anywhere. Toll's project downtown is on Van Buren where that building burned down.

I was not aware their project on Thomas had a public rendering although the curb cuts were annoying some of the urbanists.

If that indian school project is trying to go for walkable urban there's no way the original rendering will pass muster. WU is the complete opposite of that 1980s crap that was in the original.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 10:00 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
Toll Brothers is not working on Fillmore, that's the Trammel Crow project that isn't going anywhere. Toll's project downtown is on Van Buren where that building burned down.

I was not aware their project on Thomas had a public rendering although the curb cuts were annoying some of the urbanists.

If that indian school project is trying to go for walkable urban there's no way the original rendering will pass muster. WU is the complete opposite of that 1980s crap that was in the original.
Not too mention, I think that lot currently has a 305' max height according to the Indian School Plan. Not sure if this has changed or if this is what the developer is trying to get changed. But no way they are going to raise this lot to 490' with the tallest buildings on the backside against the park (which is completely opposite the inclined plane that the plan requires):

Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 10:07 PM
Skyriser

The rezoning abandons that specific plan for the walkable urban district.

I wasn't aware there was a specific plan for that area but it's obsolete.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 10:15 PM

[QUOTE=combusean;8548688]Toll Brothers is not working on Fillmore, that's the Trammel Crow project that isn't going anywhere. Toll's project downtown is on Van Buren where that building burned down.

That's right. Got it mixed up.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
Not too mention, I think that lot currently has a 305' max height according to the Indian School Plan. Not sure if this has changed or if this is what the developer is trying to get changed. But no way they are going to raise this lot to 490' with the tallest buildings on the backside against the park (which is completely opposite the inclined plane that the plan requires):

Dear God no - not 490! That is insanely tall. thank God the mean height variance in DT will remain flat and +/1 50'

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 1:19 AM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by somethingfast View Post
Dear God no - not 490! That is insanely tall. thank God the mean height variance in DT will remain flat and +/1 50'
Not sure if that was sarcasm, lol. I'm OK with 490' or even more...just not bordering up against the back where there is nothing around it but green space. Switch the 490' towers to front the corner and reduce the height as they go towards Indian Steele. Basically, just lay it out opposite of what the proposed renderings we saw. Then remove the massive podium and add some underground parking and add retail along Indian/Central.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
Not sure if that was sarcasm, lol. I'm OK with 490' or even more
Definitely sarcasm lol! Would be ECSTATIC to see a new tallest by even 1 inch haha!

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 11:02 PM

America's 10 Fastest-Gentrifying Neighborhoods
Kinda Surprised this its Encanto over Camelback east, considering Encanto was already fairly gentrified before now and the changes in Camelback east seem much more significant to me.

https://www.realtor.com/news/trends/...ds-in-america/

Quote:
ZIP code: 85006
Median list price: $315,100
5-year median sale price change: +98.3%
5-year median household income change: +53.1%
5-year change in the share with bachelor's or higher degree: +61.5%

No city in America has more residents moving in than Phoenix. They're coming to escape high costs in places like California, for better jobs or because they want to retire someplace warm where their dollars will stretch.

But all those new faces are changing the character—and affordability—of the city's neighborhoods. Over the past few years, the eastern section of Encanto Village, where residents have the lowest household incomes, has experienced some of the biggest price hikes. Buyers are drawn to its bungalow-style homes built in the 1920s in the Coronado Historic District and priced for around $300,000. This area is just a short walk to several light-rail stations, and lots of new coffee shops and nightlife venues

"New condos and apartments drove up prices. ... Longtime residents are taking advantage of increased prices and getting significant returns [on the sales of their homes]," says Sue Flucke, president of Phoenix Realtors®. Many of these sellers are taking off for affordable suburbs outside the city.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 11:13 PM

Not too surprising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
America's 10 Fastest-Gentrifying Neighborhoods
Kinda Surprised this its Encanto over Camelback east, considering Encanto was already fairly gentrified before now and the changes in Camelback east seem much more significant to me.

https://www.realtor.com/news/trends/...ds-in-america/
Some of these big-money real estate buying funds have been buying everything south of $300k in the central city for a few years (I think one of them is Dan Quayle's Cerebrus fund). Doesn't surprise me at all that this area has just been pushed north of $300k.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 1:10 AM

Sheraton Grand, Arizona's largest hotel, to get major overhaul

The new renderings of the rooms look nice. Nothing about a new exterior paint job however lol

Also, looks like they are doing some street activation on Van Buren side...

https://www.azcentral.com/story/trav...ce/3553059002/

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 2:24 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
The new renderings of the rooms look nice. Nothing about a new exterior paint job however lol

Also, looks like they are doing some street activation on Van Buren side...

https://www.azcentral.com/story/trav...ce/3553059002/
Let's just hope if they do the exterior, it's better than Hyatt's

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 8:52 PM

Was snooping around on the community map provided by the Phx Planning and Development site and found a bit of permitting activity around the Roosevelt Arts District.

- Permit to allow bar (Brother's Pub) at 817 N 2nd St. This is currently the empty building immediately S of Sazerac.

- Permit to allow bar (Pemberton house) 1121 N 2nd St.

- Permit to allow bar (Knipe House) which is expected to be Petite Joe later this year

-Permit to allow brewery (Greenwood) 425 E Roosevelt St

And another permit for a bar at 1001 building on the NE corner of Central and Roosevelt. Curious where it will be orientated in the building and how the public will interact with it.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
Was snooping around on the community map provided by the Phx Planning and Development site and found a bit of permitting activity around the Roosevelt Arts District.

- Permit to allow bar (Brother's Pub) at 817 N 2nd St. This is currently the empty building immediately S of Sazerac.

- Permit to allow bar (Pemberton house) 1121 N 2nd St.

- Permit to allow bar (Knipe House) which is expected to be Petite Joe later this year

-Permit to allow brewery (Greenwood) 425 E Roosevelt St

And another permit for a bar at 1001 building on the NE corner of Central and Roosevelt. Curious where it will be orientated in the building and how the public will interact with it.
Brothers Pub will require a bunch of work to make it anything resembling a bar.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2019, 6:35 PM

There's a rendering today in the AZ Brew for the "Alta Warehouse" project.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2019, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
There's a rendering today in the AZ Brew for the "Alta Warehouse" project.
Link: https://brewaz.com/

If anyone can pull the renderings that would be grand.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2019, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
From the coming April 17 City Council Agenda:
I went back to the video of the City Council agenda and confirmed that Derby got its extension. I did chuckle that DiCiccio, on literally the agenda item previously considered (Central Station), did his grandstanding about corporate welfare on a development where the land is already owned by the City, and thus isn't really your traditional GPLET, and then he voted yes on Derby, breathing new life into a development that is arguably much more egregious as corporate welfare, given it has a GPLET and is the subject of the Goldwater Institute litigation.

Old Posted May 1, 2019, 3:30 AM

Welp, looks like we know now what will be going in the former Shell Gas Station on 7th St n Roosevelt. Downtown Voices Coalition recommended APS’s new substation go in this space, an extension of existing substation to the south. Also, I think biggus had mentioned this but APS will also be expanding their other substation on 2nd St into the land where Revolver Records is

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12J_...O2M2Ii8LT/view

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest