HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Jun 26, 2011, 8:44 PM
Seek The Upward Horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traynor View Post
I Googled "Mature White Oak" which I believe they are and got this image. So maybe you won't get conical-shaped trees for very long:

(Image found here: http://www.porkyfarm.com/whiteoak.asp )
I guess there are variations. The ones at the memorial are Swamp White Oaks, and this is what I found for that:

http://www.higginsoutdoors.com/image...wamp-white.jpg

So we at least know it's possible for them to retain conical shape.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2011, 1:39 AM
Grand is Golden!

You know, I would like this memorial better if the trees vary in size and shape. This would make it look like a real forest. The current renders on wtc.com have trees in all kinds of sizes, big, small, skinny and fat. I like what I'm seeing in those renderings than the actual photos itself, to be honest. It gives a little variety, plus it also makes the memorial look more "natural".

By natural, I meant that the memorial plaza looks more like it's been molded by nature, and not in the hands of construction workers.

Furthermore, it looks like Ground Zero is untouched by urbanization and the concrete jungle, like a mini-Central Park.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2011, 2:01 AM
Back to Basics

I agree with this. I would have preferred a more nature-like surrounding, rather than the structured layout as designed.

I believe the inspiration may have been this park in Bordeaux, France.

(Image courtesy Soloman found here: http://individual.utoronto.ca/soloman/more8.html )

Old Posted Jun 27, 2011, 2:29 AM
Grand is Golden!

Quote:
I agree with this. I would have preferred a more nature-like surrounding, rather than the structured layout as designed.

I believe the inspiration may have been this park in Bordeaux, France.

(Image courtesy Soloman found here: http://individual.utoronto.ca/soloman/more8.html )
Exactly. A more random layout and dispersal of the trees will accomplish this idea and design. It makes the memorial look like it came fresh from the forest. A few clumps of trees here, a random layout of trees here, and empty space here- it would look like an actual forest.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2011, 2:49 AM

Keep in mind that the memorial will change greatly as those trees mature.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2011, 2:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grand Architect View Post
You know, I would like this memorial better if the trees vary in size and shape. This would make it look like a real forest. The current renders on wtc.com have trees in all kinds of sizes, big, small, skinny and fat. I like what I'm seeing in those renderings than the actual photos itself, to be honest. It gives a little variety, plus it also makes the memorial look more "natural".

By natural, I meant that the memorial plaza looks more like it's been molded by nature, and not in the hands of construction workers.

Furthermore, it looks like Ground Zero is untouched by urbanization and the concrete jungle, like a mini-Central Park.
I think (and I at least hope) it will get that forest vibe eventually. I really want that tree canopy to get thick and cover everything so that the voids of the fountains really stand out. But on the ground you'd get that great sense of enclosure...which will come with time.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2011, 3:00 AM
Grand is Golden!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
I think (and I at least hope) it will get that forest vibe eventually. I really want that tree canopy to get thick and cover everything so that the voids of the fountains really stand out. But on the ground you'd get that great sense of enclosure...which will come with time.
Same here. It will surely create a serene atmosphere, and at the same time, provide an escape from the hustle-and-bustle of the city.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2011, 4:54 AM
Back to Basics

As others have said: The cladding for the air vents pales in comparison to the museum, which looks much better from the exact same camera. So their opinion is validated with empirical evidence.

Last edited by Traynor; Jun 28, 2011 at 10:43 PM. Reason: sp

Old Posted Jun 27, 2011, 5:16 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
Well NYC does have its fair collection of tree canopy parks to use as examples.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2011, 5:47 PM
Back to Basics

Today they are testing the North Pool by running it and throwing tons of coloured paper in the water.

Perhaps they read these sites and finally realized people will throw lots of crap into these when they open. They must be seeing how the pumps and filters handle the flotsam thrown in.

(Closeup screen capture from KPI TV webcam here: http://evsdatacenter.netfirms.com/kpitv/silver.htm )

Old Posted Jun 27, 2011, 8:09 PM

Location: Born and raised Clevelander, former Atlantan and Dallasite, and now 'probational' New Yorker, ha
The museum facade looks complete and great from a distance. Anyone able to get some higher rez pics of it?

From Gothamist by Jake Dobkin

www.UrbanImpressionist.com ______ Twitter: @UrbanImpress ______ UrbanImpressionist on Facebook______ UrbanImpressionist on Youtube

Old Posted Jun 27, 2011, 8:47 PM
A before E

Quote:
Today they are testing the North Pool by running it and throwing tons of coloured paper in the water.

Perhaps they read these sites and finally realized people will throw lots of crap into these when they open. They must be seeing how the pumps and filters handle the flotsam thrown in.

(Closeup screen capture from KPI TV webcam here: http://evsdatacenter.netfirms.com/kpitv/silver.htm )
Nah, that is just a typical way of testing draining to make sure everything is flowing correctly and there is no unseen backup spots.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2011, 8:55 PM

That looks like reflection from the sun to me.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2011, 9:00 PM
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by uaarkson View Post
That looks like reflection from the sun to me.
Very possible. However, when I zoomed in all the way, some of the spots appeared to be under the water, as if they had sunk to the bottom.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2011, 9:25 PM

Not sure if this was posted, but cool time-lapse of the site.

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 27, 2011, 11:06 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanImpressionist View Post
The museum facade looks complete and great from a distance. Anyone able to get some higher rez pics of it?

From Gothamist by Jake Dobkin

According to this slideshow, the trees will reach 60 feet tall. Their height will likely be controlled by the size of their root boxes. They can't get bigger than their roots and water system will allow, so they've probably been designed to stabilize at that height. That should be plenty to achieve a canopy which is what everyone wants.

On a side note, I'd love to know how they plan to keep the root from rotting because it looks like the boxes are paved-over with only a very unforgiving hole for the current sizes of the trunks which will outgrow them eventually. These features make life very unnatural for the trees (no exposed areas for evaporation and natural watering to occur)...

Old Posted Jun 28, 2011, 12:35 AM

^ If I recall correctly, I read that they designed the plaza in such way that the plaza surface is suspended over the soil as not to be compacted by the weight of the concrete. I'll try to find where I read this.

Edit: Found it at the 9/11 memorial website. There's also a section in which they talk about the trees they've selected, I think it's worth checking out.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2011, 11:03 AM

June 26, 2011

June 27, 2011

Old Posted Jun 28, 2011, 3:22 PM
Back to Basics

I would say this morning's test is for anti-foaming additives for the water, but that one probably isn't the formula they will go with.

(Screen capture from KPI TV webcam here: http://evsdatacenter.netfirms.com/kpitv/silver.htm )

Old Posted Jun 28, 2011, 11:16 PM

June 28, 2011

20th Floor of Seven World Trade Center

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture