HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Jun 21, 2011, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersar View Post
And yes, most McDonalds are undergoing a good reno. 17th Ave was closed a month or so ago for about a week, and Crowfoot has been closed for probably a good 3 or 4 months now (they are doing a full reno including kitchen there)
They did a full reno to the McDonalds on 17th??? Please don't tell me they did away with the awesome 50s retro interior. I have many fond memories of eating a Big Mac during my 4th period spare during high school in one of those fake car tables they had in there....

Old Posted Jun 21, 2011, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outoftheice View Post
They did a full reno to the McDonalds on 17th??? Please don't tell me they did away with the awesome 50s retro interior. I have many fond memories of eating a Big Mac during my 4th period spare during high school in one of those fake car tables they had in there....
No, just a minor reno. It was only closed about a week. Interior is pretty much the same from what I can see (if I go there its just the drive through, I never go inside)

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Jun 22, 2011, 4:55 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
No, just a minor reno. It was only closed about a week. Interior is pretty much the same from what I can see (if I go there its just the drive through, I never go inside)
All that I can see has happened is the addition of the McCafe menu- so they had to bring in the new coffee/cappuccino/iced cap machines. Otherwise everything looks exactly the same.

"McCafe" in Germany and Argentina (the only ones I've visited) actually entail separate cafes, but I'm not sure that model would work in Calgary or much of urban Canada since, in those countries, the quality of, say, an espresso at a McCafe is about the same as you'd get at most actual coffeehouse- which is to say, terrible. Now the brewed and iced coffees at McDonalds are very good, for fast-food coffee.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2011, 6:44 AM
not a NIMBY

The McDonald's at 17 X 14 SW used to be a Safeway store.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2011, 3:34 PM
I'm the bear on the right

Quote:
McD's renovated the location at 17th & 35th St SW as well. They reconfigured the counter space and added a self-serve soft drink counter. The rest of the restaurant is the same as before and still looks dated.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2011, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Every time I drive by that MacDonalds I think of Wesley Willis (RIP)

and this is why I think of Wesley Willis
Video Link

Rock over London, Rock on Chicago. Wheaties The Breakfast of Champions.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2011, 3:39 PM

My girlfriend's dad has the contract for tile work at about 60 McDonald's right now. He said he has crews all through Calgary, Alberta, and into Saskatchewan working on tile. Quite the reno project I'd say.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2011, 3:46 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Crowfoot has been closed for probably a good 3 or 4 months now (they are doing a full reno including kitchen there)
OK, I'm not crazy then. The sign outside says "enjoy our shamrock shakes"... I was like WTF. You've been closed for 3 months?? That's an eternity in fast food/retail.

Rock and Roll McDonald's....

Old Posted Jun 22, 2011, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
OK, I'm not crazy then. The sign outside says "enjoy our shamrock shakes"... I was like WTF. You've been closed for 3 months?? That's an eternity in fast food/retail.

Rock and Roll McDonald's....
Don't worry, the burgers and fries that were cooked before they closed will still be edible when they reopen.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2011, 5:41 PM
not a NIMBY

The 24 hour McD's on Mac is closed for renos too.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2011, 5:56 PM

Apparently Scotch and Soda is opening store in the next few weeks at Chinook Centre

http://www.scotch-soda.com/

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 7:47 AM
Hare Expert

Quote:
I NEVER GET TO SIT IN THE CAR. (And I never had a spare, my McDonalds time was Friday after school every so often)

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 2:32 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vascilli View Post
I NEVER GET TO SIT IN THE CAR. (And I never had a spare, my McDonalds time was Friday after school every so often)
Dude, what kind of psychotic guidance did you receive as a youth? Spares are half the point of high school!

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 3:12 PM

Mall update:

Victoria's Secret is opening a full line Victoria's Secret at Southcentre
PINK by Victoria's Secret opening at Chinook
'Express' opening stores at Market Mall, Southcentre and Chinook

Sources - current online job postings

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vascilli View Post
That's what you get for being an over achiever. Half my time in high school was spares. Mind you I never did graduate. Luckily that was back when one could still get into post-secondary as a mature student.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plus15 View Post
Mall update:
Victoria's Secret is opening a full line Victoria's Secret at Southcentre
2 miles down the road from the one at Chinook!?!

I wish some of these good stores would open at Market... my wife's mall of choice to drag me to every other weekend!

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 9:07 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
That's what you get for being an over achiever. Half my time in high school was spares. Mind you I never did graduate. Luckily that was back when one could still get into post-secondary as a mature student.
Interesting - I always thought "mature student" meant your grades could be shit... didn't realize you could get in with no grade 12 at all (or equiv).

Totally OT, but I don't care. It's cool to see something rational but unexpected in the educational system.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 9:09 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay in Cowtown View Post
2 miles down the road from the one at Chinook!?!

I wish some of these good stores would open at Market... my wife's mall of choice to drag me to every other weekend!
I thought you were exaggerating... they're only 5km apart (3 miles, close enough). Wow. What a bizarre market spread.

Mind you, do you really WANT more stuff at Market, she'd just drag you there more often.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Interesting - I always thought "mature student" meant your grades could be shit... didn't realize you could get in with no grade 12 at all (or equiv).

Totally OT, but I don't care. It's cool to see something rational but unexpected in the educational system.
I barely had grade 11. I went all 3 years, but failed/dropped so many classes I had less than half the number of credits needed. I was going to go back for a 4th year, but I whilst tripping balls on shrooms, I had an epiphany.

I basically charted my life for the next 4 years. The rough outline was to move out, continue to work a bunch of dead end jobs and party my face off for a few years. Then once I had the partying out of my system, return as a mature student and take computers. I pretty much followed it to a T. I think I moved out within a week. Never really did get the partying out of my system though.

I was accepted to NAIT for 2 reasons, I initially enrolled in a 4 month upgrading course called pre-technology and I submitted a kick ass letter with my application. I passed pre-tard with honours and applied for Computer Systems Technology. My grade advisor tried to talk me out of it, as they had never had a pre-tard student graduate from CST. At the time, CST had an unbelievable fail rate. Less than 50% would graduate in the required 2 years.

I didn't care, as I knew it was my last chance and wasn't going to fuck it up. It was the hardest thing I ever did, but I graduated in 2 years and came very close to honours. I guess all those comments about me "having the aptitude but not the atitude" on my high school report card had some truth to them.

Sorry for rambling on, but thinking about that time really brought back some memories.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2011, 12:30 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

Sorry to continue that OT, but what are "spares"? That wasn't on the citizenship exam.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy