HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 11, 2022, 6:09 PM

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...ents-1.6609741

Infrastructure minister pushed through an access point to 18th street/Hwy 10 in Brandon for a private commercial development, despite objections from provincial engineers saying it is unsafe.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2022, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...ents-1.6609741

Infrastructure minister pushed through an access point to 18th street/Hwy 10 in Brandon for a private commercial development, despite objections from provincial engineers saying it is unsafe.
What a joke. Everything you need to know about Manitoba's highways in a nutshell right there.

Speaking of Brandon, what's going on with the TCH north of town? I drove through there on the weekend and it is in deplorable shape. Everything from the state of the pavement, to the condition of the signs and landscaping. It's horrendous. Are there any plans to fix any of this?!

Old Posted Oct 11, 2022, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
What a joke. Everything you need to know about Manitoba's highways in a nutshell right there.

Speaking of Brandon, what's going on with the TCH north of town? I drove through there on the weekend and it is in deplorable shape. Everything from the state of the pavement, to the condition of the signs and landscaping. It's horrendous. Are there any plans to fix any of this?!
There probably isn't anyone giving our politicians donation money to repave the TCH, unlike what was implied with this access point.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2022, 8:50 PM

Nothing. Nothing.. Esquire haha

The 18th St thing is in the southwest. So at least won't affect whatever they end up doing at the TCH.

If you read the article, the Brandon City councilor doesn't necessarily disagree with the decision. Just not in the heavy handed manner Doyle P went about it. This is within Doyles Legislative district I believe. Which makes things murkier.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2022, 10:32 PM
What could go wrong?

To follow up on my post in the WPG Construction about going to Fargo.

The southbound lanes on Hwy 75 to the border should be shut down. They are an embarrassment and dangerous. I was down in Minneapolis in April and the way south was in such horrible shape a 3 ft pothole shredded one of my tires on my truck (305/55/20 it is a big heavy duty tire).

It was in just as bad shape this weekend - 6 mths later. The potholes and surface breaks were basically every 20 ft. The road would be better served if they just shifted everything over to the north bound lanes which are in great shape. I would much prefer a safer smoother drive on two lanes (one each way) than drive on that road again.

I know they are planning to redo the southbound lanes in question in 2023, but the shape of our second most important hwy in the province is beyond what should pass as a safe drive-able road.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Oct 12, 2022, 4:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Nothing. Nothing.. Esquire haha

The 18th St thing is in the southwest. So at least won't affect whatever they end up doing at the TCH.

If you read the article, the Brandon City councilor doesn't necessarily disagree with the decision. Just not in the heavy handed manner Doyle P went about it. This is within Doyles Legislative district I believe. Which makes things murkier.
Piwniuk is actually MLA for Turtle Mountain, a riding southwest of Brandon, although it is nearish.

VBJ is one arm of large (for Brandon) conglomerate Jacobson and Greiner.

The development in question has been discussed for years. The land was actually annexed from the adjacent RM. Various iterations of the site plan have shown a large big box store with a distinctive sheared off corner (cough, cough, Costco).

The development is inside the "Brandon Bypass"/Highway 110 (It's actually the designated dangerous goods route for heavy industry like Koch, etc.) Whether they ever build the western half of it is unknown, but it is not a great surprise that development would be allowed in this area with future planned speed limit reductions. Think Portage Avenue in Headingly west of the Perimeter.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2022, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavefromSt.Vital View Post
The development is inside the "Brandon Bypass"/Highway 110 (It's actually the designated dangerous goods route for heavy industry like Koch, etc.) Whether they ever build the western half of it is unknown, but it is not a great surprise that development would be allowed in this area with future planned speed limit reductions. Think Portage Avenue in Headingly west of the Perimeter.
To me, it seems like a major shortcoming of our highways that they turn into local streets the moment you approach a town or city. In other provinces, highways typically remain highways until you're well into the urban area. Or at least, that is the goal even if it isn't always executed perfectly.

However, in Manitoba, we are just repeating the mistakes of the past... it would take so little to have our cake (the development) and eat it too (have a fast flowing, safe highway). But as usual the path of least resistance is taken.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2022, 6:43 PM

We talked recently about PTH 8 and how terrible the southbound lanes are. This study is up for feedback from the Province. The stretch from 101 to St. Andrews airport will get the access point treatment the Perimeter is undergoing.

https://engagemb.ca/pth-8-functional...y?preview=true

Direct link to the PDF presentation.
https://manitoba.ca/asset_library/en...ntation_en.pdf

Old Posted Oct 12, 2022, 6:46 PM

^ That's good news. That stretch of highway is practically unchanged since the 80s despite higher traffic volumes. It was pretty decent for those days but it appears deficient by modern standards. Widening the shoulders and reducing the large number of access points are musts.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2022, 6:51 PM

Ya. It's basically adding a service road on the west side and improving intersection geometry at the 5 locations. All other access is removed. No interchanges. Which is fine as nothing would happen here for millennia anyways.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2022, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Ya. It's basically adding a service road on the west side and improving intersection geometry at the 5 locations. All other access is removed. No interchanges. Which is fine as nothing would happen here for millennia anyways.
While interchanges would make sense at Grassmere Road, Parkdale Road and PR 230 to Selkirk, yeah, I have zero expectation that's going to happen anytime soon.

Just doing the most basic things like the service roads and proper shoulders would be enough of a win in my books.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2022, 1:04 PM

^^

Sad that our expectations for Manitoba Highways is so low.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2022, 1:23 PM

Yup. Can't do everything at once though. Not every hwy needs to be a freeway either. This stretch would be far down the list IMO.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2022, 5:47 PM

Quote:
No interchanges. Which is fine as nothing would happen here for millennia anyways.
Even flyovers with exit and entry lanes to PTH 8 feels like it would be excessive.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2022, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Even flyovers with exit and entry lanes to PTH 8 feels like it would be excessive.
Are you describing a diamond interchange?

Old Posted Oct 14, 2022, 4:50 AM
BANNED

The Deacons Corner construction is moving at a snails pace, doubt its even finished the fall and construction began sometime in mid spring, unbelievable actually for such a relatively small job!

Old Posted Oct 14, 2022, 1:41 PM

Seriously. They spent half the summer doing the detour work. Haven't been out that way for a while now.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2022, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
The Deacons Corner construction is moving at a snails pace, doubt its even finished the fall and construction began sometime in mid spring, unbelievable actually for such a relatively small job!
Funny enough, today is their contractual completion date, according to the original tender. This was a big job for that particular contractor. I haven't seen it, do they have lots of work left?

Old Posted Oct 14, 2022, 2:42 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
To follow up on my post in the WPG Construction about going to Fargo.

The southbound lanes on Hwy 75 to the border should be shut down. They are an embarrassment and dangerous. I was down in Minneapolis in April and the way south was in such horrible shape a 3 ft pothole shredded one of my tires on my truck (305/55/20 it is a big heavy duty tire).

It was in just as bad shape this weekend - 6 mths later. The potholes and surface breaks were basically every 20 ft. The road would be better served if they just shifted everything over to the north bound lanes which are in great shape. I would much prefer a safer smoother drive on two lanes (one each way) than drive on that road again.

I know they are planning to redo the southbound lanes in question in 2023, but the shape of our second most important hwy in the province is beyond what should pass as a safe drive-able road.
Drove that stretch a couple days ago and I actually think 75 south is in much better shape than it was back in early July when I drove it last! At least it wasn’t flat out dangerous as it was earlier, I’m guessing the south bound lanes were under water in April-May?

Expansion joints all seem to have been redone, although not great far better than it was where softball sized chunks of concrete littered the highway in June-July!

I-94 from Fargo to Mipls. Not exactly in the greatest shape either!

Last edited by rrskylar; Oct 14, 2022 at 2:53 PM.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2022, 2:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
Funny enough, today is their contractual completion date, according to the original tender. This was a big job for that particular contractor. I haven't seen it, do they have lots of work left?
Lots of work left would be an understatement

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan