HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

53W53 in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 20, 2011, 7:13 AM
Seek The Upward Horizon

I still don't see the big deal. It's nice and distinctive-looking, but I don't feel like I'd fawn any more over a 1200+ Tower Verre anymore than the current size. The thing is just a bunch of sharp angles, and I don't see any special gestalt that would make me go "Whoa." In fact, that comparison above with Carnegie 57 only reinforces that for me - C57 is radical, and not just odd. Every time I look at it, I think of Shigeru Miyamoto (designer of the Mario Bros games). It's fantastical and yet appealing. Looking at Tower Verre though, I'm just like, okay, this is a skyscraper with some deliberately odd angles - okie dokie.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2011, 2:45 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubadour View Post
I still don't see the big deal. It's nice and distinctive-looking, but I don't feel like I'd fawn any more over a 1200+ Tower Verre anymore than the current size.
It has to do with the New York skyline, and where the tower is located. If the tower were on the waterfront, say in a location where the Trump World Tower is located, then fine. Even at 1,050 ft, it's locked away in the mass of midtown. That extre 200 ft is what pushes the visiblity and prominence factors - both of which define the great New York skyscrapers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramsjdg View Post
Agreed. This is my favorite design for any currently proposed supertall anywhere.
Maybe if they moved MOMO to the Hudson Yards site/development they could build it to the full 1250 ft- or better yet, even taller
There's still the matter of various zoning approvals. It's not the height of the building that was subject to approvals (which the building got) but various issues with the design and ultimately the "unfinished" top.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2011, 8:59 PM

i guess it's me but i just don't like this tower.........maybe if they straighten out the top of it ??

Old Posted Feb 21, 2011, 12:49 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlippo1 View Post
i guess it's me but i just don't like this tower.........maybe if they straighten out the top of it ??
It's almost just you, but not quite. Some people don't like it, but overwhelmingly people do. In fact, even though City Planning didn't like the uncompleted top, they loved the design so much that it was pretty much locked in as is for approval. It remains to be see how true to form it will remain without losing too much space from the development. It probably wouldn't affect MOMA at all, but the residential is what Hines is looking at.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2011, 2:03 AM
King

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlippo1 View Post
I look at it as a fresh new design with throwbacks to earlier periods of architecture. And the location itself allows it to blend in perfectly.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2011, 5:57 PM
Editor

One question; I apologize if someone pointed that out earlier.

What are they actual waitung for? After my knowledge its no office building, so potential corporate tenants are necessary. Are they waiting for residential tenants or for the markets in gerneral recover? The tower itsself is approved for construction.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2011, 11:01 PM

It's not the height of the building that was subject to approvals (which the building got) but various issues with the design and ultimately the "unfinished" top. NYguy

I never did understand that bit. The top is perfect in terms of the exterior shape. I guess they could make it into some type of high-ceiling observation atrium with multiple levels and hanging gardens or something.

The building would certainly stand out more in the Hudson Yards location.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2011, 2:39 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneWorldTradeCenter View Post
What are they actual waitung for? After my knowledge its no office building, so potential corporate tenants are necessary. Are they waiting for residential tenants or for the markets in gerneral recover?
It's only approved pending a final design. They won't be getting any building permits until the CPC verifies Nouvel's final version - which he has yet to complete. Beyond that, they will have to get financing like everyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramsjdg View Post
I never did understand that bit. The top is perfect in terms of the exterior shape. I guess they could make it into some type of high-ceiling observation atrium with multiple levels and hanging gardens or something.
At the time of Nouvel's presentation, the top wasn't finalized, and the CPC didn't like the idea of mechanical space being visible at that height.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2011, 5:52 AM

Interesting! Thanks for the pics NYguy!

I was noticing how in comparison to the original 1155ft version (shown here), the top looks more compressed in the pics you provided of the plans/models for the 1250ft version (though it may just be an optical illusion).

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Feb 23, 2011, 4:09 PM
BROOKLYN

I think this is one beautiful tower.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2011, 5:45 PM
Emperor Disco I

Love this tower! Hope it gets built!

Old Posted Mar 3, 2011, 9:03 PM
BANNED

Why would it take a year to revise this tower and release the design?

Old Posted Mar 3, 2011, 9:46 PM
BANNED

They're probably lining up financing, which will be readily forthcoming for a trphy tower like this. As set forth below, yet another apartment near Central Park sold in the $6k/sf range. This market segment is hot, and Torre Verre's time has come!

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/busines...-rss&FEEDNAME=

Wahl space
Last Updated: 8:15 AM, March 3, 2011

Posted: 12:04 AM, March 3, 2011

Comments: 0 More Print Jennifer Gould Keil

GIMME SHELTER

The entourage has left the building. An apartment once rented by Mark Wahlberg at storied 15 Central Park West has just closed for nearly $6,000 per square foot.
The 26th-floor condo closed for $16.5 million in an all-cash deal. That’s $5,976 per square foot for the 2,761-square-foot, three-bedroom, 3½-bathroom condo.

The seller is hotshot real estate lawyer Warren Estis of Rosenberg & Estis. The buyer is a “glamorous European woman who prefers to remain anonymous,” a source says. Kenneth Deutsch of Ken Deutsch Real Estate, who represented Estis, declined to comment.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/busines...#ixzz1FXtosOz9

Old Posted Mar 4, 2011, 4:09 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
Why would it take a year to revise this tower and release the design?
It's up to Nouvel to get the design finalized before going back to City Planning. He'll get one chance to get it right (we know what happened last time) so there's no rush, especially considering financing isn't where everyone would like it to be. Nouvel didn't immediately rush to work on the design, another sign that Hines was taking its time with the development.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2011, 7:48 PM

Smile

I hope, at the end, that the tower can be built. Go Torre Verre.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2011, 12:09 AM

It would be a crime for this tower not to be built. It's the most exceptional piece of skyscraper architecture presented in over 70 years.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2011, 1:18 AM
BANNED

Really? I would have to say Shanghai Tower.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2011, 2:07 AM
BANNED

There is no doubt that this tower will be built. Great demand exists for these units. Moreover, chaos in the Gulf likely will lead to private financing since projects in NY and London will be safe-havens for Arab investors. Gulf money financed the Shard in London and Carnegie 57 before the political crisis in the Middle East emerged. Unlike pie-in-the-sky projects, such as the Chicago Spire which required prices several times greater than any ever seen in the market, this project is fully viable. It remains to be seen which of the following contenders for the next very high-end project will be second out of the gate after Carnegie 57:

1. Torre Verre
2. 440 Park
3. 225 W 57th
4 220 CPS

Last edited by RobertWalpole; Mar 5, 2011 at 2:47 AM.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
There is no doubt that this tower will be built. Great demand exists for these units. Moreover, chaos in the Gulf likely will lead to private financing since projects in NY and London will be safe-havens for Arab investors. Gulf money financed the Shard in London and Carnegie 57 before the political crisis in the Middle East emerged. Unlike pie-in-the-sky projects, such as the Chicago Spire which required prices several times greater than any ever seen in the market, this project is fully viable. It remains to be seen which of the following contenders for the next very high-end project will be second out of the gate after Carnegie 57:

1. Torre Verre
2. 440 Park
3. 225 W 57th
4 220 CPS
Oh yes, I'm agreement with you. I think that many future plans in New York will be financed with the Arabic money and I hope that in the future, will be space for a 2000 ft tower (like Chicago Spire). But where is Donald Trump, in this new business?

Old Posted Mar 5, 2011, 4:13 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by uaarkson View Post
It would be a crime for this tower not to be built. It's the most exceptional piece of skyscraper architecture presented in over 70 years.
Well, I don't think there's another tower that expresses the City it would be built in than this. Love it or hate, its New York.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive