HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 28, 2018, 6:11 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderOz View Post
So by getting a hotel designation, they can turn the building over to another company to become all STRs, and they don't have to worry about the new ban on new STR applications?
theres no ban on strs in commercial zoning right now other than it cant be a unit on the first floor of a multistory, multi unit residential building .. but what im saying is its not considered STR technically though because its a company that leases all the units out and rents them like hotel rooms but these rooms are basically apartments.also to rent them you have to go to their sites not air bnb etc . it doesnt have anything to do with the current str rules; its just this is their preferred way to designate this type of property.. its really like air bnb and extended stay hotels had a baby! lol

does that help any? also this particular property is in a cbd zonign that has commercial STRs and hotels as a conditional use... so whatever one they went with would be conditional.. hotel designation just makes more sense than an str

Last edited by tennis1400; Jun 28, 2018 at 6:30 AM.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2018, 7:41 AM
TL;DR

At that point it basically IS a hotel, just a new building purpose-built for lodging purposes. The rooms just happen to be suites with full kitchen and/or separate bedroom, and there may or may not be a front desk with clerk. Very much a gray area of what is short-term rental and what isn't... most people would agree that a building containing permanent residents where only a handful of units are leased to visitors is STR, or when a shotgun apartment on a residential block gets the same. But nobody applies that same standard to the Warehouse District where large-scale buildings and big tourist hotels have existed for decades.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2018, 2:18 PM

So, plans for a Target on Tchoup have moved across my desk. I hadn’t heard it mentioned anywhere else.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2018, 2:24 PM
NOLA Razorback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptowner View Post
So, plans for a Target on Tchoup have moved across my desk. I hadn’t heard it mentioned anywhere else.
You don't sayyyyy, where at on Tchoup?

Old Posted Jun 28, 2018, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjslonaker View Post
Riverside Market.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2018, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjslonaker View Post
Has to be in the Winn Dixie shopping center uptown. Why else would both walgreens and steinmart not get their leases renewed? Just my speculation anyway but no matter where it goes a target would be a nice retail win for the city.

I have also been hearing some rumors about a trader joes on freret street in either the old blooming deals which just closed, or the old public house spot. Either way Freret makes no sense to me. Neither sight has enough vehicle traffic or parking for a large out of state retailer to set up shop on freret in my mind. Anyone else heard anything?

Old Posted Jun 28, 2018, 3:07 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickapedia View Post
Has to be in the Winn Dixie shopping center uptown. Why else would both walgreens and steinmart not get their leases renewed? Just my speculation anyway but no matter where it goes a target would be a nice retail win for the city.

I have also been hearing some rumors about a trader joes on freret street in either the old blooming deals which just closed, or the old public house spot. Either way Freret makes no sense to me. Neither sight has enough vehicle traffic or parking for a large out of state retailer to set up shop on freret in my mind. Anyone else heard anything?
Trader joes can squeeze into many spaces though so who knows ... i think trader joes would like two or three stores in the city

Old Posted Jun 28, 2018, 3:08 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptowner View Post
Riverside Market.
Fullsize target or the city target ?

Old Posted Jun 28, 2018, 3:12 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
At that point it basically IS a hotel, just a new building purpose-built for lodging purposes. The rooms just happen to be suites with full kitchen and/or separate bedroom, and there may or may not be a front desk with clerk. Very much a gray area of what is short-term rental and what isn't... most people would agree that a building containing permanent residents where only a handful of units are leased to visitors is STR, or when a shotgun apartment on a residential block gets the same. But nobody applies that same standard to the Warehouse District where large-scale buildings and big tourist hotels have existed for decades.
Correct ... at least in big cities like Nola i believe the str market will be dominated by this category in the near future .. which is funny because its basically a hotel again . All things go full circle! Sonder for example is exploding with growth and employment in Nola right now ... if you stay at one of their places you wont bother with a random str unless its really unique . The main reason people used strs is location and the homelike atmosphere of the place... sonder stay adam et al offer this but with professional decorating , profeasional cleaning and other services of a hotel ... so you dont have to worry about what the place is like or if there are secret cameras recording you

Old Posted Jun 28, 2018, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Trader joes can squeeze into many spaces though so who knows ... i think trader joes would like two or three stores in the city
As for Target, the Riverside Market is pretty tight, so it would have to be a very scaled down version. I doubt they'd consider two floors, but maybe that could work. I'm surprised they haven't tried something closer to the Convention Center on Tchoup. I think there are enough people who would go out of their way to avoid Walmart to make it work.

Trader Joe's on Freret would make a killing. The walking/biking college student population alone would fill it up and there is almost no grocery store between Mid City and the river. I was hoping with all of the new developments they'd find a space near upper Canal/Treme. Between the hospitals and FQ there's a big market.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2018, 3:42 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
this is correct.. Im just pointing out that commercial STR and Hotels are Conditional uses in CBD-5 in the new CZO.. i think its the only CBD zoning that it is otherwise these uses are permitted

Old Posted Jun 28, 2018, 3:43 PM
TL;DR

Will not be a full-fledged Target store but a CityTarget format, closer to Walgreens in square footage but with a bigger selection of groceries and general merchandise, less health and beauty. They don't use the CityTarget brand anymore, it's all just Target now but the format remains the same. We've got several of these in Chicago and more on the way.

Trader Joe's is interesting, it's about time! Bloomin Deals is too small of a building for them at only 8000sf and 30 parking spaces, but Publiq House is 10000 sf and 40 parking spaces which would fit the bill. Plus it would be more of a urban format with an entrance facing the sidewalk, Bloomin Deals should really get redeveloped from the awful suburban format that kills the sidewalk. TJ's notoriously has small parking lots, but it helps keep costs down and their customers are willing to put up with it. My only concern is whether the neighbors will allow it to go in or if they will kill it for traffic/parking reasons or because they're worried about delivery trucks. I'm pretty sure TJ's will need a variance to reduce parking in order to make that site work.

TBH I'm surprised they're not looking at sites on Claiborne. Still a handful of large vacant sites there and it's close to wealthy Uptown shoppers, plus it would not arouse the anger of the neighborhood.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2018, 3:45 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokowave View Post

Trader Joe's on Freret would make a killing. The walking/biking college student population alone would fill it up and there is almost no grocery store between Mid City and the river. I was hoping with all of the new developments they'd find a space near upper Canal/Treme. Between the hospitals and FQ there's a big market.
it certainly would .. i could see it anchoring the publiq house or bloomindeals but public house makes more sense if they want easy striplike parking .. whatever is built on bloomindeals if they bulldoze the site wouldnt be allowed to rebuild in that form so it would have to basically reuse the current space

Old Posted Jun 28, 2018, 10:36 PM

I wish they would put a Target or Trader Joe’s across from Walmart in the East on Bullard!
That would be very nice.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 2:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee32 View Post
I wish they would put a Target or Trader Joe’s across from Walmart in the East on Bullard!
That would be very nice.
Target would make an absolute killing there. The Walmart is insanely busy. New Orleans East is severely lacking in retail for an area around the same population as Kenner.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 8:00 PM
NOLA Razorback

Bywater Condos

This is a much improved design over the previous renderings.
http://canalstreetbeat.com/luxury-by...gh-end-design/

Also the Four Seasons finalized funding today and will begin fully immediatley, and I saw from a project managers social media that the Odeon also finalized funding this week and the pilings will start to be shipped in ASAP!

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 8:27 PM

Residence Inn Progress (316 St. Charles)

I found these progress pictures posted in another forum by mezrmex2010. I figured some of you here would like to see them as well.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 11:55 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightech1217 View Post
I found these progress pictures posted in another forum by mezrmex2010. I figured some of you here would like to see them as well.

Nice pics .. looks like about 3-4 floors left to go

Old Posted Jul 1, 2018, 5:34 PM
TL;DR

Nice! What an embarrassing vacant lot that was, right on St Charles. Exposed wall of a parking garage, ugh.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2018, 3:20 AM

A chain-linked fence now surrounds the property on Annunciation in the Lower Garden District. Hopefully this means demolition of the grocery store will begin soon.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations