HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 6, 2023, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJXN View Post
I agree 100%. The fact that citywatch, who has been doing the same bullshit routine of derailing this thread FOR YEARS gets suspended while LA21st gets banned because why exactly? His posts gets deleted yet Jerry Springer still lurks from the underworld.

This thread really has gone downhill. I mean moreso than usual.
Wow…this is insane. Very unfortunate. I’m thinking the moderators meant to ban citywatch, instead of LA21. Let’s hope for the best.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2023, 4:40 PM
Los Angeles Aficionado

1340 S Hill Street

https://twitter.com/LA_Construct/sta...56352090574851

1340 S Hill Street in DTLA . Facing west on Broadway st. Looks like exterior work is in process for this new apartment complex in southpark.

Go Dodgers! | Go Lakers! | Go Rams! | Go Kings!

[♥][♦][♣][♠][♥][♦][♣][♠][♥][♦][♣][♠][♥][♦][♣][♠][♥]

Old Posted Jul 7, 2023, 9:56 PM

Hi everyone, long time lurker here. Been visiting and keeping up with this forum for at least a decade, quite a bit longer really, and have never posted. I don't want to drag out this topic any longer than it has to, but I wanted to chime in. I think it's fine if someone posts something somewhat off-topic once in a while, so long as it's somewhat related to the topic of development/downtown.

It used to be interesting to open up this thread, check out what's going on with development, especially the whispers and rumors of what might be going on next. That's not what this thread is is anymore. It's essentially turned into one person's blog, and it's terrible. Sad to see that the moderation team isn't able to keep this in check, and stop one particular user from derailing the conversation.

With all that being said, if I have to read one more post complaining about fountains being switched off, I'm going to fucking off myself.

Talk to you guys in another decade

Old Posted Jul 7, 2023, 10:04 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

1340 S Hill Street has also been called The Eden. The renderings are promising, hope they don't value engineer the facade too much.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jul 7, 2023, 10:11 PM
Los Angeles Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
1340 S Hill Street has also been called The Eden. The renderings are promising, hope they don't value engineer the facade too much.
That's right. I really hope there is more development boom in that area

Go Dodgers! | Go Lakers! | Go Rams! | Go Kings!

[♥][♦][♣][♠][♥][♦][♣][♠][♥][♦][♣][♠][♥][♦][♣][♠][♥]

Old Posted Jul 7, 2023, 10:28 PM

Here's a blurb on 1340 S. Hill from Urbanize LA for those (like myself) who didn't notice it until now:

235-unit Eden development on the rise at 1340 S Hill Street in DTLA

The mixed-use project at 14th and Hill broke ground last year

Steven Sharp
Urbanize Los Angeles
May 10, 2023

After more than a half-year of work, wood framing is now rising for the Eden apartments at 14th and Hill Streets in Downtown Los Angeles.

The development from Suncoast Ventures, located on an L-shaped with the address of 1340 S. Hill Street, will eventually consist of a seven-story building featuring 235 apartments above 9,200 square feet of ground-floor retail space. Parking for residential and commercial uses will be located in a subterranean garage.

As required by the provisions of the Greater Downtown Housing Incentive Ordinance, the Eden will set aside 25 percent of its housing at rents below market rate. That includes 12 units of designated very low-income affordable housing, as well as 47 units of workforce housing targeting residents earning up to 150 percent of the area median income level.

Humphreys & Partners is designing the contemporary podium- type structure, which will include units with floor plans ranging between 375 and 1,093 square feet. Planned amenities include courtyards, a fitness center, a swimming pool, and a rooftop deck.

The new apartment complex would rise a block south of a stretch of Pico Boulevard which has seen the construction of a half-dozen similar mixed-use buildings in the past decade, and directly across Hill from Emerald, a 154-unit apartment complex.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2023, 10:37 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

The Emerald at 1340 S. Olive is wrapping up or near to opening just across Hill Street from this and Wren (2 buildings) is 1 block to the north and one block west. So while this isn't quiet a residential neighborhood, per se, it's building the bones of it with some loosely connected contiguous developments.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jul 9, 2023, 1:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
Here's a blurb on 1340 S. Hill from Urbanize LA for those (like myself) who didn't notice it until now:

235-unit Eden development on the rise at 1340 S Hill Street in DTLA

The mixed-use project at 14th and Hill broke ground last year

Steven Sharp
Urbanize Los Angeles
May 10, 2023

After more than a half-year of work, wood framing is now rising for the Eden apartments at 14th and Hill Streets in Downtown Los Angeles.

The development from Suncoast Ventures, located on an L-shaped with the address of 1340 S. Hill Street, will eventually consist of a seven-story building featuring 235 apartments above 9,200 square feet of ground-floor retail space. Parking for residential and commercial uses will be located in a subterranean garage.

As required by the provisions of the Greater Downtown Housing Incentive Ordinance, the Eden will set aside 25 percent of its housing at rents below market rate. That includes 12 units of designated very low-income affordable housing, as well as 47 units of workforce housing targeting residents earning up to 150 percent of the area median income level.

Humphreys & Partners is designing the contemporary podium- type structure, which will include units with floor plans ranging between 375 and 1,093 square feet. Planned amenities include courtyards, a fitness center, a swimming pool, and a rooftop deck.

The new apartment complex would rise a block south of a stretch of Pico Boulevard which has seen the construction of a half-dozen similar mixed-use buildings in the past decade, and directly across Hill from Emerald, a 154-unit apartment complex.
We need a few more of these...I was walking over there a few weeks ago and noticed the two complexes they are building and was like these two are flying under the radar. It's pretty cool for that area.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2023, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
We need a few more of these...I was walking over there a few weeks ago and noticed the two complexes they are building and was like these two are flying under the radar. It's pretty cool for that area.
We need a thousand more projects like Eden. Like most everyone else, I get excited by skyscraper projects like the 1000 S. Hill development, but it is actually buildings like this that will truly allow more people across a broader economic spectrum to live downtown.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2023, 1:17 AM
Ascension

Remember when there were like 5 or 6 of the so called '7 story shit boxes under construction at the same time maybe 5 or so years ago? There were quite a few complaints on how they're too short among others. Personally, they seem to fit in just fine. There are all kinds of parking lots that would benefit from not existing anymore.

Last edited by BrandonJXN; Jul 10, 2023 at 3:26 AM.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2023, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
We need a thousand more projects like Eden. Like most everyone else, I get excited by skyscraper projects like the 1000 S. Hill development, but it is actually buildings like this that will truly allow more people across a broader economic spectrum to live downtown.
+1

Very well said and very true.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2023, 6:23 AM
Non Registered User

No we dont need 1000 more generic shoe boxes with foot prints that hog up half of or entire blocks. Are you guys kidding me???

Old Posted Jul 13, 2023, 6:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morty McDuncy View Post
No we dont need 1000 more generic shoe boxes with foot prints that hog up half of or entire blocks. Are you guys kidding me???
That’s what I’m saying.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2023, 3:22 PM
Ascension

I'd go as far to say that 7 stories should be the benchmark height for residential in DTLA. You want to build a residential project? Cool as long as it's 7 stories and above. South Park especially. LA's parking lots are quite large. When you look at a building like 8th and Fig, you can very easily see that the site could easily fit 2 buildings plus a low rise component.

Plus, they are more reachable to most people in terms of economics. You and I can't afford to live in the Beaudry but something like Eden? Possibly maybe.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2023, 4:00 PM
你的媽媽

As skyscraper fans, as much as we'd like to see 40-50 story residential towers sprout up all over DTLA, the simple matter is that building such towers is not only expensive for developers but expensive for prospective residents. There simply aren't enough super wealthy buyers/renters to fill up a sea of high end luxury residences, unless a significant percentage of these units are set aside as affordable.

To tackle the housing affordability crisis, we need to build proportionally and intentionally in line with the socioeconomic demographics of the region. Target middle and low income buyers/renters. Non-luxury mid-rises are far cheaper to build for developers, and thus far more affordable to the vast majority of those living in LA. Yes, it would be nice if contemporary mid level high density housing vernacular were more architecturally inspiring, but it is what it is. Cost reduction has to come from somewhere.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2023, 4:22 PM

Given the costs of land, materials, and labor, new construction in a city like LA is almost never going to be affordable to middle and low income residents unless the development is deeply subsidized. It's misguided to think otherwise. That said, I agree that we need a variety of housing types in the city, including downtown. The ultra-luxury market is indeed limited, and there is so many other desirable places around town that those types of people would be drawn to. It's not like Chicago where downtown really is the main draw. The wealthy here are split between the coast, the hills, and upscale west side communities. If I was wealthy there's no way I'd opt to live in DTLA...

Old Posted Jul 13, 2023, 9:49 PM

In September of last year California passed new building codes allowing for up to 18 story buildings built with mass timber. Hopefully we start to see some new type proposals soon. It’s quicker and cheaper than building with steel and concrete, but not cheap like 5 over 2’s.

It will be interesting once to see how many developers take this on

https://www.bdcnetwork.com/californi...mber-buildings

Old Posted Jul 13, 2023, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughfb3 View Post
In September of last year California passed new building codes allowing for up to 18 story buildings built with mass timber. Hopefully we start to see some new type proposals soon. It’s quicker and cheaper than building with steel and concrete, but not cheap like 5 over 2’s.

It will be interesting once to see how many developers take this on
That, plus the new Downtown Plan that eliminates mandatory parking minimums, may lower the cost of building (and buying/renting) downtown housing enough to spur a new wave of construction. Here's hoping. I've read that constructing a single parking space in a new development can cost $20-30k, which the developer must then recoup in sales cost or rent.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2023, 5:47 PM
你的媽媽

Last edited by homebucket; Jul 14, 2023 at 6:28 PM.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2023, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
This is great…hopefully you can repost it on this page.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations