HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 14, 2021, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Forumer View Post
I agree. The other towers around it have that... brutalist style... looks like they belong in China or Russia.
Keep in mind that the buildings in the foreground have been edited to appear dull gray so that the rendering will stand out.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2021, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCReid View Post
Seems like Atlanta is starting up a decade long boom, like the 1990-2000 period. This time it seems like boom is including the city. The metro may surpass Philly, Miami and DC over the next decade to become the 6th most populous.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2021, 3:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCReid View Post
Seems like Atlanta is starting up a decade long boom, like the 1990-2000 period. This time it seems like boom is including the city. The metro may surpass Philly, Miami and DC over the next decade to become the 6th most populous.
I wouldn’t go that far...especially when it comes to Miami. Miami has maybe the 3rd or 4th largest skyline in the U.S. Keep in mind, Atlanta isn’t the only city that’s building. But Atlanta, has other things that makes it special and unique. I know it’s hard, but we really shouldn’t compare our city to others. I’m guilty of doing that myself.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2021, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
I wouldn’t go that far...especially when it comes to Miami. Miami has maybe the 3rd or 4th largest skyline in the U.S. Keep in mind, Atlanta isn’t the only city that’s building. But Atlanta, has other things that makes it special and unique. I know it’s hard, but we really shouldn’t compare our city to others. I’m guilty of doing that myself.
While you're absolutely right, I'm pretty sure DCReid does not live here.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2021, 12:00 PM

Quote:
to be fair, the context of surpass, was in population, but also to be fair, these are a very large metros, at some point, who cares?

Old Posted Mar 15, 2021, 5:15 PM

After November and January, I don't think Atlanta needs to do anything to prove its status in the US. Ever again.

The 12th/juniper high rise isn't about the actual restaurants there and whether they'll be replaced with other restaurants, or find other locations. It's that part of the distinctive character of Midtown is old, large houses converted into restaurants. They're all over the place: Lure, Babs, South City Kitchen, Pasta Pulcinella still exist (and I could name about a dozen more), but in a decade or two it's not inconceivable these could mostly be gone.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2021, 10:03 PM

I could see more of the SFH district between 10th & Ponce be converted to commercial use over that time, like bed and breakfasts and restaurants. Property taxes will continue to rise in the area. Atlanta’s property taxes are well behind their market rates. Delaying that increase will just make it hurt more when it does rise to market rate.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2021, 3:27 AM

Quote:
Talking total population only...barring some massive surprise, Atlanta metro WILL surpass Philadelphia metro in the next five years.

At current growth rates, we could pass Miami and DC in the next 10 yrs, but I wouldn't sleep on those cities. They're going to keep growing quickly just like Atlanta.

The 384 "metropolitan statistical areas" of the United States[2]

Rank Metropolitan statistical area 2019 estimate 2010 Census % change Encompassing combined statistical area
1 New York City-Newark-Jersey City, NY-NJ-PA MSA 19,216,182 18,897,109 +1.69% New York-Newark, NY-NJ-CT-PA CSA
2 Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim, CA MSA 13,214,799 12,828,837 +3.01% Los Angeles-Long Beach, CA CSA
3 Chicago-Naperville-Elgin, IL-IN-WI MSA 9,458,539 9,461,105 −0.03% Chicago-Naperville, IL-IN-WI CSA
4 Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX MSA 7,573,136 6,366,542 +18.95% Dallas-Fort Worth, TX-OK CSA
5 Houston-The Woodlands-Sugar Land, TX MSA 7,066,141 5,920,416 +19.35% Houston-The Woodlands, TX CSA
6 Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV MSA 6,280,487 5,649,540 +11.17% Washington-Baltimore-Arlington, DC-MD-VA-WV-PA CSA
7 Miami-Fort Lauderdale-West Palm Beach, FL MSA 6,166,488 5,564,635 +10.82% Miami-Port St. Lucie-Fort Lauderdale, FL CSA
8 Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington, PA-NJ-DE-MD MSA 6,102,434 5,965,343 +2.30% Philadelphia-Reading-Camden, PA-NJ-DE-MD CSA
9 Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Alpharetta, GA MSA 6,020,364 5,286,728 +13.88% Atlanta–Athens-Clarke County–Sandy Springs, GA-AL CSA

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...tistical_areas

Old Posted Mar 16, 2021, 5:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpk1292000 View Post
Talking total population only...barring some massive surprise, Atlanta metro WILL surpass Philadelphia metro in the next five years.

At current growth rates, we could pass Miami and DC in the next 10 yrs, but I wouldn't sleep on those cities. They're going to keep growing quickly just like Atlanta.

The 384 "metropolitan statistical areas" of the United States[2]

Rank Metropolitan statistical area 2019 estimate 2010 Census % change Encompassing combined statistical area
1 New York City-Newark-Jersey City, NY-NJ-PA MSA 19,216,182 18,897,109 +1.69% New York-Newark, NY-NJ-CT-PA CSA
2 Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim, CA MSA 13,214,799 12,828,837 +3.01% Los Angeles-Long Beach, CA CSA
3 Chicago-Naperville-Elgin, IL-IN-WI MSA 9,458,539 9,461,105 −0.03% Chicago-Naperville, IL-IN-WI CSA
4 Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX MSA 7,573,136 6,366,542 +18.95% Dallas-Fort Worth, TX-OK CSA
5 Houston-The Woodlands-Sugar Land, TX MSA 7,066,141 5,920,416 +19.35% Houston-The Woodlands, TX CSA
6 Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV MSA 6,280,487 5,649,540 +11.17% Washington-Baltimore-Arlington, DC-MD-VA-WV-PA CSA
7 Miami-Fort Lauderdale-West Palm Beach, FL MSA 6,166,488 5,564,635 +10.82% Miami-Port St. Lucie-Fort Lauderdale, FL CSA
8 Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington, PA-NJ-DE-MD MSA 6,102,434 5,965,343 +2.30% Philadelphia-Reading-Camden, PA-NJ-DE-MD CSA
9 Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Alpharetta, GA MSA 6,020,364 5,286,728 +13.88% Atlanta–Athens-Clarke County–Sandy Springs, GA-AL CSA

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...tistical_areas
That list is absurd...it includes Clarke County as part of the metropolitan area. Just look at population by cities. We are still relatively high up considering. I know a few of these cities, keep in mind Wikipedia is not a reliable source...anyone can make changes to that site.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2021, 6:56 AM

Quote:
That list is absurd...it includes Clarke County as part of the metropolitan area. Just look at population by cities. We are still relatively high up considering. I know a few of these cities, keep in mind Wikipedia is not a reliable source...anyone can make changes to that site.
It is almost as 'absurd' as bringing up skylines when someone with DC in their screenname predicts the population of three metros of 6mil people that are separated by 150k. And deeming that the person with DC in their name is an Atlantan.

Also, St. Lucie County is included in Miami CSA just as Clarke County is included in Atlanta CSA and not Atlanta MSA as you stated. Take a look at the Wikipedia table and its a little clearer.

But I do concur that when comparisons are made it should be done with careful consideration and that Wikipedia is not the best source. Also, Atlanta is unique (like many places) and it's really hard to compare it to anywhere else which I feel that DCReid wasn't really doing anyway.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2021, 11:37 AM

Quote:
LOL!!!! That same absurd list appears right here in a census.gov publication: https://www.census.gov/content/dam/C...est-table4.png

Old Posted Mar 16, 2021, 12:45 PM

Old Posted Mar 16, 2021, 12:58 PM

Quote:
... keep in mind Wikipedia is not a reliable source...anyone can make changes to that site.
Quote:
Originally Posted by L41A View Post
...and that Wikipedia is not the best source.
Wikipedia is a reliable source. This has been studied academically and anecdotally for years and every time they come to the same conclusion, that Wikipedia is reliable.
Washington Post article from 2015

While I wouldn't site it as a primary source on a paper for a class, I would certainly go there to gain general knowledge on a wide variety of topics. US Metro populations is one of those topics. The US Census Bureau's website was cited and linked in the page, and every edit is monitored and checked.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2021, 3:07 PM

Sovereign Buckhead Repairs

Does anyone know what is happening with the Sovereign balconies? Seems like the scaffolding along Peachtree has been there for literally years, and the balconies look like they have been under some kind of repair with no visible progress. Big eyesore for that stretch of Peachtree.

IMG_20210315_164927008_HDR by ATL Gator, on Flickr
sovereign1 by ATL Gator, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 16, 2021, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorsnake View Post
Does anyone know what is happening with the Sovereign balconies? Seems like the scaffolding along Peachtree has been there for literally years, and the balconies look like they have been under some kind of repair with no visible progress. Big eyesore for that stretch of Peachtree.
Wow, it's STILL there?? It has been that way since 2017.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2021, 4:26 PM

If all of Atlanta's road-capping park dreams happen, it would look like this:

https://urbanize.city/atlanta/post/a...ntown-buckhead

Old Posted Mar 17, 2021, 4:53 AM

Quote:
No. It's not.

The Atlanta CSA, indicating a close economic link between metro areas, is what is listed on the right of the list above (2019 estimate 6.7 million). The Athens-Clarke County metro is included in Atlanta's CSA as are the Gainesville and Rome metro areas.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2021, 12:18 PM

Quote:
You are confusing MSA with CSAs-- The MSA is a census defined, reasonable measure of an area's size and applies to every metro area-- Its pretty hard to argue with the census bureau and I know of no better way to compare sizes. City limits are utterly arbitrary political boundaries-- places like Louisville and Jacksonville annexed their suburbs long ago-- they are definitively NOT bigger than Atlanta--

CSAs in some ways are even better-- who would dispute that San Jose/ San Francisco are really one area-- it is here that Gainesville and Athens are included-- given the fairly continuous level of development between Atlanta's core and these places I would agree that they be included-- by this measure Metro Atlanta's CSA has close to 7 million people-- not 6--

Old Posted Mar 17, 2021, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
Wow, it's STILL there?? It has been that way since 2017.
Window cleaning-- and no the need will never go away--
Someone says otherwise-- true perhaps if there is still scaffolding at ground level(?)

Last edited by Verge; Mar 17, 2021 at 5:31 PM.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2021, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newuserbuckhead View Post
Wikipedia is a reliable source. This has been studied academically and anecdotally for years and every time they come to the same conclusion, that Wikipedia is reliable.
Washington Post article from 2015

While I wouldn't site it as a primary source on a paper for a class, I would certainly go there to gain general knowledge on a wide variety of topics. US Metro populations is one of those topics. The US Census Bureau's website was cited and linked in the page, and every edit is monitored and checked.
Wikipedia exactly matches the Census Bureau in this case-- again Metro areas are a viable way (perhaps the only one) of comparing relative sizes of places. CSA's may be even better, but include more far flung areas. Believe me this is something that I know about (as a Class A demographics nerd)--
If you don't believe it, stop being lazy and look at it for yourself--
Metro Areas and CSAs: https://www.census.gov/data/tables/t...cal-areas.html

City limits are absolutely meaningless for determining size since they arbitrarily limit area to political boundaries-- Some cities have more or less annexed their suburbs, most have not-- Atlanta is still the small small size (geographically) that it was in 1950 after Buckhead was annexed-- and population-wise is at 500,000 (2019 estimate- 506,811, about what it was in 1970, before it dropped to 420,000 in 2010, it is now growing again)-- the metro is over 6 million (2019 estimate- 6,020,364) , the CSA at almost 7 million (2019 estimate- 6,853,392)-- Metro areas grow and shrink with relative population expansion or contraction, making them ideal for determining relative population size-- If you would like to discuss further we can-- like I said demographics nerd ;-)

The next actual census report for 2020-- comes out in May, but ironically, because of the Pandemic may be less accurate than the estimates-- We will see soon--

Last edited by Verge; Mar 17, 2021 at 1:04 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations