HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 10:15 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
Nope. This only proves that a memorial can have a practical use as well. This means that a memorial can also be an office building.
But is there one single office building in the world that is currently a successful memorial too? Feel free to answer that question when you figure out if there is an actual office building doing such a thing....and for the love of god, do not say the pyramids because they are not office buildings.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 10:29 PM
Twin Towers crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
But is there one single office building in the world that is currently a successful memorial too? Feel free to answer that question when you figure out if there is an actual office building doing such a thing....and for the love of god, do not say the pyramids because they are not office buildings.
I don't know of any. But everything can be a "1st time ever" case. One memorial had to be the first memorial ever and one tourist attraction-memorial hybrid had to be the first tourist attraction-memorial hybrid ever. The only thing I wanted to say with my posts about the pyramids was that a memorial can have a commercial function.
America and New York deserve to have twin towers again! I am boldly resisting the twin towers taboo enforcers - a.k.a. the bullies who harass folks on this forum just because they have different opinions than these bullies do!
Recipe for the best syrup in the world:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=191318

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 10:47 PM
Back to Basics

Lightbulb

Not really liking the colour or effect of the vent's cladding so far. Ooooppps sorry... I forgot no one is allowed to critique this unless they have stood three feet in front of it.

(Screen capture closeup from HD webcam here: http://evsdatacenter.netfirms.com/kpitv/silver.htm )

Old Posted Jun 24, 2011, 2:32 AM

One if the supercolumns is uncovered - could be an exciting night.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2011, 3:03 AM
Ω

This might sound a bit morbid, but I think people are going to jump into the pools to commit suicide.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2011, 3:31 AM

Even if they could, I'd really hope they wouldn't. We don't need a memorial blocked off by a fence.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2011, 5:55 PM
Seek The Upward Horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerton View Post
This might sound a bit morbid, but I think people are going to jump into the pools to commit suicide.
That had occurred to me too. And for every straightforward jumper, you get x number of people who stand on the edge and merely threaten to jump, forcing everything around them to stop so they can be talked down. Then you get y number of people who will just do incredibly obnoxious and insensitive things, like get wasted and piss into the pools, throw in beer bottles, spit out their gum / candy into them, flick cigarettes into them, etc. etc.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2011, 6:26 PM
Back to Basics

Question

I am in complete agreement that over time all of the above, plus flowers, mementos, photographs, letters, stuffed animals and spare change in exchange for a wish, will all find their way into the pools on a regular basis... But despite my low opinion of the average person's intelligence, I find it hard to believe that anyone contemplating ending it all would consider a fall of 25 feet into a foot of water as sufficient for the task.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2011, 7:21 PM
Seek The Upward Horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traynor View Post
But despite my low opinion of the average person's intelligence, I find it hard to believe that anyone contemplating ending it all would consider a fall of 25 feet into a foot of water as sufficient for the task.
That would only increase the likelihood of people jumping. It's a dramatic venue, and far enough down to look truly dangerous without being certain death - the perfect recipe for emo drama queen behavior.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2011, 9:25 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubadour View Post
That would only increase the likelihood of people jumping. It's a dramatic venue, and far enough down to look truly dangerous without being certain death - the perfect recipe for emo drama queen behavior.
I think you are worrying about a non-issue. Do you know how many people a year jump off parking garages here in Portland? I don't because the city actually doesn't really talk about them and often times is very good at a quick clean-up. I am sure NYC has dealt with plenty of suicides you will never hear about and something like this would probably be dealt with very swiftly as well.

Besides, I could imagine someone would be looking for a tall parking garage or bridge more than anything else.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2011, 4:10 PM
BROOKLYN

People aren't going to jump! Jesus Christ!

Old Posted Jun 25, 2011, 4:29 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerton View Post
I think an asshole is going to walk into the middle of the memorial and detonate a suicide vest...... but you mitigate both risks with the same solution: a lot of surveillance and aggressive policing of the site.

Traynor, I agree with the cladding on the vents, it just...meh. I was hoping that it's cladding would of mirrored the museum pavilion.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jun 25, 2011, 7:38 PM
Grand is Golden!

You guys are making a big deal out of something that is probably never going to happen. And even is someone would do such a thing, they would probably pick another place.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2011, 8:59 PM
World Machine

Checked for updates and found this great discussion . . . . . . . you don't have to piggy-back on commentary over and over again

Old Posted Jun 26, 2011, 12:53 AM

They've taken apart the grade level crane.

http://evsdatacenter.netfirms.com/kpitv/silver.htm

Old Posted Jun 26, 2011, 8:20 AM

Film taken off the south side of the pavilion.
VinSchiano2009

Old Posted Jun 26, 2011, 5:55 PM
Seek The Upward Horizon

I like that the trees are showing a conical shape. A lot of the renders had showed them being like puffy fros or flat and canopy-like. Hopefully they maintain shape as they grow.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2011, 7:21 PM

Every new tree has that shape. When the upper branches extend outwards they form that draping effect, like many of the older New York trees. In the renders, they were showing what the trees would look like after they had matured(keep in mind that also in the renders, the entire site was completed).

Old Posted Jun 26, 2011, 7:22 PM
Back to Basics

The stagnant water of the North pool is already looking a little green from algae. And an interesting thing has materialized in one corner. The algae is causing a differentiation in colour on some spots where tiles may have been piled, but there is a giant Number 3 in the Southwest corner of the North Pool.

(Close-up screen capture from the KPI TV HD webcam found here: http://evsdatacenter.netfirms.com/kpitv/silver.htm )

Old Posted Jun 26, 2011, 7:28 PM
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubadour View Post
I like that the trees are showing a conical shape. A lot of the renders had showed them being like puffy fros or flat and canopy-like. Hopefully they maintain shape as they grow.
I Googled "Mature White Oak" which I believe they are and got this image. So maybe you won't get conical-shaped trees for very long:

(Image found here: http://www.porkyfarm.com/whiteoak.asp )

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture