HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 1:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
According to CBC, Southeast Raquet Sports wants to build a $12M facility in Dieppe by 2021, with a total of 21 indoor raquet sports courts (8 tennis, 8 badminton & 5 racquetball).

Although they want to build in Dieppe, they got some funding from Moncton for a feasibility study, and are sniffing around Riverview for financial support. The facility would require both private and public funding for construction.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...cton-1.4885361
The statement, and plans don't seem to match up Unless the 8 courts are for both Tennis, and badminton as for racquetball there seem to be 6 courts there.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 1:41 PM

That would be awesome. I'd sign up for sure
Quote:
According to CBC, Southeast Raquet Sports wants to build a $12M facility in Dieppe by 2021, with a total of 21 indoor raquet sports courts (8 tennis, 8 badminton & 5 racquetball).

Although they want to build in Dieppe, they got some funding from Moncton for a feasibility study, and are sniffing around Riverview for financial support. The facility would require both private and public funding for construction.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 1:51 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
The statement, and plans don't seem to match up Unless the 8 courts are for both Tennis, and badminton as for racquetball there seem to be 6 courts there.
There's likely a second floor above the racquetball courts.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 1:03 PM

There is a coming soon sign for Eat Clean in the strip mall where Skyzone is.

Looks like they are a healthy eating takeout restaurant

Old Posted Nov 8, 2018, 12:47 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

There's a rumour on Retail Talk & Share that Copper Branch, a Montreal based vegan restaurant chain is planning on opening a location in Place 1604 in early 2019.

There may be some credence to this rumour. I found this tidbit on the Canadian Franchise website:

Quote:
The popular Montreal-based QSR, Copper Branch, is planning additional franchise growth in Atlantic Canada with sights set on Halifax as a possible first location.

Copper Branch offers a 100% plant-based menu with gluten-free, certified non-GMO, and organic products. The chain presently has over 15 locations with several more under construction, with its highest concentration in Quebec and Ontario.

Twin Oaks Management, the Moncton based company hired by the franchisor to develop the area, is looking to open several locations in Atlantic Canada including Halifax, Moncton, Fredericton, Charlottetown, and St. John’s.

A minimum of 400 sq. ft is required for a mall kiosk location and between 600 and 2000 sq. fit for a street/strip/pad location with seating.
http://www.canadianfranchisemagazine...lantic-canada/

The management company hired to develop the region for Copper Branch is based in Moncton, so naturally they would have an affinity to locate a franchise in the Moncton region sooner than later. The chain is based in Quebec, so a location in Dieppe makes a lot of sense.

Copper Branch website;
https://eatcopperbranch.com

Old Posted Nov 8, 2018, 2:09 AM

Quote:

I don’t think they should build it in Dieppe. It should be built as close to the 4plex/CN Feilds as possible as there is already a tone of similar facilities in that area, as well as the YCMA being down the road. Perhaps the parking lot of the coliseum, or somewhere between Barker & millennium bvld. Or perhaps the site of Hillcrest school once it gets relocated. To get maximum usage, it should be as central as possible.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2018, 2:16 AM

re Copper Branch:

Awesome! Visited one of their locations in Montreal this summer. Their site lists 24 locations opening soon, with market size ranging from Rimouski to NYC.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2018, 9:51 PM
I Rise Again

We all know that the new Off Ramp for Highway 15 to Industrial St. is open but are there any plans to create an On Ramp from Industrial to Highway 15?

Old Posted Nov 8, 2018, 11:45 PM

At the time Dieppe announced the off ramp they simplly said there were no plans for an on ramp at this time, or words to that effect. Kinda left it hanging there.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 1:50 AM

Eventually there will be an on ramp yes. They left room when they bought the right of way.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 6:23 AM
I Rise Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
Eventually there will be an on ramp yes. They left room when they bought the right of way.
Perfect! I thought so, when I looked on Google maps it shows room for it and even some tree cutting.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 4:25 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierremoncton View Post
re Copper Branch:

Awesome! Visited one of their locations in Montreal this summer. Their site lists 24 locations opening soon, with market size ranging from Rimouski to NYC.
Copper Branch "somewhere" in greater Moncton in 2019 has apparently been confirmed by the company itself (response to a query from one of the contributors to Retail Talk & Share).

Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs33 View Post
That would be awesome. I'd sign up for sure
I can't imagine Riverview coming to the table considering they want to replace the existing rink and old infrastructure like the coverdale rec centre with a multi use facility. Why support something very specific to raquet sports? In fact, I had heard that the current outdoor facilities were struggling to even stay open because nobody uses them. I can't imagine there is enough support in the area that is willing to pay memberships.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenike View Post
I can't imagine Riverview coming to the table considering they want to replace the existing rink and old infrastructure like the coverdale rec centre with a multi use facility. Why support something very specific to raquet sports? In fact, I had heard that the current outdoor facilities were struggling to even stay open because nobody uses them. I can't imagine there is enough support in the area that is willing to pay memberships.
I know they talked about building a new multi use facility but I haven't heard anything new on that in quite some time. Considering they've just put a ton of money into the Byron Dobson Arena I can't see them replacing it. They just dropped $1.5 million on new icepad along with boards and glass over the summer. Along with adding in the seating in the upper a couple years ago and expanding the heated arena which has a daycare and area to watch the games away from the cold.

There's always a need for additional ice surfaces in the city so I'd expect the Dobson would stay if a new facility was built.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 4:38 PM

The latest issue of Dieppe Mag has some renderings for the new arena that seem to be different than previous ones. Looks like they may have made some changes. New images here:

https://issuu.com/esolutionsgroup/do...44186962064/12

Also I was reading in the T&T this week that Dieppe is perhaps considering a roundabout at the corner of Champlain & Acadie . I believe they are going to assess how the dogbone goes first, thankfully. I am a big fan of roundabouts but I don't know if our CroMag driving population could handle one here in such a tight high traffic area.

Te city is also considering either temporarily or permanently closing Gauvin between Acadie and Marche St to make it pedestrian only. This is a pretty good idea IMO. It's already a right turn only street anyway that is sparingly used, and closing it would open it up to more events etc in back of the city hall which are becoming bigger and more frequent.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 8:01 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

It has always seemed to me that the traffic at that intersection is only as bad as it seems because of it's proximity to Paul and Champlain, which is always backed up.

I'd add a right-turn-only lane from Champlain north onto Paul through the McDonald's parking lot.

Widen Acadie between Champlain and Olivier to extend the right-only lane further back.

Lastly, and this may be a bit controversial, but put to death anyone trying to make a left turn from or on to Champlain between Acadie and Paul. The people 'being nice' by letting others make hard turns, and people 'being assholes' who block lanes waiting for a chance to make a left both contribute hugely to the congestion in the area.

Probably isn't feasible to make the whole stretch a RIRO with a median, but a guy can dream.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 11:35 PM
I Rise Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonianSentinel01 View Post
Olivier St. in Dieppe will see a dramatic change in the near future I guess, from a source that lives on that street. Permits are supposed to be issued in the near future for the City of Dieppe of purchase most of the houses on that street for demolition. It seems that Olivier will be changed so that it is mostly a run through street that links Paul street to the corner of Acadie Avenue and Champlain street as a way of relieving congestion from the morning and suppertime rush hours. Announcement should be made in the near future. Some residents have already been notified. Overview of the streets in question here. https://www.google.com/maps/@46.0958.../data=!3m1!1e3
This probably has something to do with the traffic circle that was mentioned by Sandbagger. The rumor is probably off a bit, but probably the traffic circle will need to be large enough to handle all of the traffic and will probably have olivier attach to it as well.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 4:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonianSentinel01 View Post
This probably has something to do with the traffic circle that was mentioned by Sandbagger. The rumor is probably off a bit, but probably the traffic circle will need to be large enough to handle all of the traffic and will probably have olivier attach to it as well.
I think the rumors are based of both hopes, and also reality As the original report that is no longer available stated that Rue Saint Laurent Road was supposed to be demolished Angies was supposed to be banned do to the last bust where some of the girls where apparently found to be under 18, and the roundabout along with a the brand new Dieppe Downtown.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2018, 3:55 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Good Huddle article about the new TD Corporate Banking Centre.

https://huddle.today/new-td-centre-i...SWElqrWzhXjkeQ

Quote:
Nearly 900 workstations have been set up at TD Bank’s new centre at CF Champlain Place as it prepares to open early next year. The first 150 employees for the contact centre and the finance hub are set to begin working January 14, executives say.
Quote:
the finance centre will serve all of TD’s lines of businesses for Canada and the U.S. The finance side is not a contact centre, said VP and Head of Finance Operations Dale McErlean. She confirmed the average annual compensation for this side of the business will be $65,000, as announced in April.

“We’ll be doing all of the general accounting, the financial statements, all of the financial reporting for the bank for both Canada and for the U.S.,” she said. “We’re going to have 80 new finance employees starting in January, and then we’re going to gradually build up to the end of 2019 to just over 200, and then within three years, we’ll be up to 440.”
Quote:
In April, TD announced it will create up to 1,015 jobs at the new centre. Around 575 of those will be contact centre jobs and 440 will be high-skilled finance jobs. LeBlanc said the bank still plans to fill 1,015 roles over the next three and a half years. The jobs on both sides do not require skills in both official languages, although bilingual people are welcome.
So, when rollout is complete in about three years, this centre will have a huge impact on the community.

The 440 corporate jobs will have an average salary of $65,000
The 575 customer contact positions will have an average salary of about $38,000

This means an annual payroll of $50,450,000!

Just think of what a windfall this will be for the province and the city of Dieppe in terms of corporate and personal tax as well as property tax

Between renovation costs by Cadillac Fairview ($25M) and costs to finish fitting up the space by TD Bank ($50M), this is a $75M project.

Interesting to see in the article that TD is taking great pains to ensure that all wiring and fibre optics are located in the roof rafters of the centre (it is a flood plain after all).

The centre will include:

- Variously-sized meeting rooms with glass doors for coaching, training or video and phone conferencing;
- An open concept cafeteria spanning around 7,000 square feet with 14 microwaves, eight fridges, six dishwashers and various seating arrangements;
- An open-air patio;
- Around 10,000-square-foot of vacant space currently used for storage;
- Soft-seating area and lockers for employees
- A small library for employees;
- A multi-faith room with a water station;
- A multi-purpose room;
- A first-aid room;
- Water bottle stations and flat-screen TVs for company communications throughout the floor.

Here are a couple of images from the Huddle article. There are many more images in the actual Huddle article itself. You should check it out.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2018, 4:35 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandbagger View Post
The latest issue of Dieppe Mag has some renderings for the new arena that seem to be different than previous ones. Looks like they may have made some changes. New images here:

https://issuu.com/esolutionsgroup/do...44186962064/12
Indeed.

I took the liberty of copying one of the photos from Dieppe Mag.

To be quite honest, I likely the old render better - more classy.

And, by the way, that lady with the backpack and the two kids in the top image was recently seen visiting the (proposed) Alex Colville Park in Sackville. She sure gets around.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces