HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Aug 28, 2024, 12:58 AM
New Brunswick booster!

CBC reporting that the Fredericton fire chief wants a new fire station built in the area of Hanwell and Prospect because the high growth area is outside the 4 minute response zone of the current stations.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2024, 1:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxfordGuy View Post
CBC reporting that the Fredericton fire chief wants a new fire station built in the area of Hanwell and Prospect because the high growth area is outside the 4 minute response zone of the current stations.
The station is not going to be the problem, the extra 20 firefighters will be. Sadly most cities across the country are not increasing their Fire staff to account for increased population or use. Firefighters come with salaries and few cities are looking to increase that cost.

Moncton is still maintaining the same minimum staffing number of 21 that is has had since the 70's https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.7246221

Same could be said for Ambulance NB (actually has lost many paramedics over the past years) and other response/caring professionals.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2024, 3:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop2047 View Post
The station is not going to be the problem, the extra 20 firefighters will be. Sadly most cities across the country are not increasing their Fire staff to account for increased population or use. Firefighters come with salaries and few cities are looking to increase that cost.

Moncton is still maintaining the same minimum staffing number of 21 that is has had since the 70's https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.7246221

Same could be said for Ambulance NB (actually has lost many paramedics over the past years) and other response/caring professionals.
You are correct re the # of firefighters. This proposal includes a full review towards increasing the number of firefighters to address current and future requirements in addition to the new building

Old Posted Aug 28, 2024, 4:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatelyElms View Post

There's fill being dumped at the old brownfield lot at the corner of Queen and Smythe (I can't remember if anyone had mentioned this, but figured I'd snap a photo as I was nearby)
The Risteen Building lot above is being used to store materials for the Lower Northumberland St infrastructure rebuild around the corner currently underway by the city

Old Posted Aug 28, 2024, 10:43 PM
New Brunswick booster!

Press release from YFC August 27th:

Federicton International Airport traffic up 23 per cent

Traffic continues to soar at the Fredericton International Airport (YFC) with 23 per cent more passengers travelling through the airport between January and July compared to the previous year.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2024, 5:02 PM

Something interesting I noticed in last week's presentation to the public safety committee regarding the need for an additional fire station: They had a slide which is a map of the city which identifies potential development sites and splits them into two categories based on whether or not they will be in progress by 2029. Many of these are properties that have gone before PAC for rezoning or subdivision in the last few years.

What caught my eye is that they have identified the Irving property in Barker's Point that is currently vacant. This property is bounded on three sides by Colwell Drive and Carmen Avenue. Current zoning is a mix of R2 and R3 on the perimeter of the property and RMH (minihomes) on the interior.

I cannot imagine that someone will actually build a mini home park there – seems it would be more suitable for a mix of townhouses/semi-detached on the perimeter and apartment buildings within.

This is actually a fairly sizeable property: About 25 acres. Keep in mind that the NBEX grounds are about 30 acres. So this could support a sizeable development – certainly hundreds of units.

There has not been a lot of development in Barker's Point but this seems like a fairly prime location for housing. Quick access to both uptown and downtown via the Princess Margaret, on a bus route, with an elementary school literally a block away, etc.

With the city identifying this as a spot that will be 25% developed by 2029 I would assume they have communicated with the proponent and are working towards rezoning/subdivision?

Old Posted Sep 5, 2024, 5:47 PM

I'm surprised the North Side is projected to add new units at more than double the rate of the South Side-- 13,000 vs 6,000.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2024, 6:12 PM

Was up on 2NC running some errands last night. The minimall next to Elections NB looks pretty complete now, but its parkinglot and access points are still sketchy (in particular the back of the Elections NB lot seems to have an unbarricaded drop off there).

It does seem too they are moving earth on the corner of the lot (at the roundabout) so I suspect the next phase is ready to be built through the winter.

The Shoppers/NoFrills development is coming along well too. I hope they get the traffic lights in on that entrance soon, since that corner is going to get a lot busier soon.

The Shoppers site seems like it's almost ready for signage and to be filled. The Bank and Grocery store are still basically just shells but should be sealed up before the snow.

It got me thinking of what restaurant options might be coming, since we know a somewhat 'big' sitdown restaurant seems to be earmarked for the Cliff Street site.

While I'm hopeful it isn't it, it does seem to me that the Northside is big enough now that we should probably be getting a rotisserie chicken place over there now. A second Swiss Chalet would likely do really well; but I wouldn't be surprised if we see a St Hubert/Harveys Express move over. Especially since Harveys is the only burger joint the North side DOESN'T have yet.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2024, 9:19 PM

Went to Costco this afternoon. Completely packed. They have installed the Membership card scanners at the entrance. I scanned my phone version, pic came up and away I went. Just as easy and quick as the manual card verification

Old Posted Sep 6, 2024, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
The Shoppers/NoFrills development is coming along well too. I hope they get the traffic lights in on that entrance soon, since that corner is going to get a lot busier soon.

The Shoppers site seems like it's almost ready for signage and to be filled. The Bank and Grocery store are still basically just shells but should be sealed up before the snow.
The estimated opening date for the new Shoppers is the end of October and No Frills is mid-December. Also of note, according to the Ross Venture's site, there is only one vacant storefront (the one adjacent to Starbucks) remaining.

https://rossventures.ca/properties/highland-plaza/

Last edited by Freddypop; Sep 6, 2024 at 9:39 PM.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2024, 12:39 PM

The Science East building is for sale for $1.2M https://www.partnersglobal.com/prope...fredericton-nb

Old Posted Sep 10, 2024, 1:35 PM

A few updates, mostly on active transportation:

- Now that Golf Club Road has been repaved, painted bike lanes have been added. I have to say I'm surprised, painted lanes are out of favour since they don't add any protection, but it makes some sense. Golf Club Road isn't a high-priority trail link and it was one of the widest collector streets in the city not to have one. The lane disappears on the hills where the road narrows so it's pretty meaningless for cycling. This is just traffic calming.

- The crosstown trail is complete along Smythe and it looks like it's done along Argyle, just without the temporary barriers or paint. This leaves Westmorland to York and Carleton to Regent as the remaining gaps.

-Cuffman street is now completely built from Murray Ave to Cliffe. There's a roundabout with the collector street that'll eventually go to Marysville. The old alignment of Murray Ave is now a small trail.

- I haven't been back out to check but the new trail along Vanier Industrial Drive should be done by now.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2024, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401 View Post
A few updates, mostly on active transportation:

[...]

-Cuffman street is now completely built from Murray Ave to Cliffe. There's a roundabout with the collector street that'll eventually go to Marysville. The old alignment of Murray Ave is now a small trail.
I've been keeping an eye on the active transport plans for the area (they've been included in a couple PACs) but I still can't find anything that says whether or not the Murray Avenue bike lane will be continued down this new section. Any word on that? I wouldn't think they'd let it end abruptly like that, especially with the trail connection right there, but I've seen it happen elsewhere..

Old Posted Sep 10, 2024, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatelyElms View Post
I've been keeping an eye on the active transport plans for the area (they've been included in a couple PACs) but I still can't find anything that says whether or not the Murray Avenue bike lane will be continued down this new section. Any word on that? I wouldn't think they'd let it end abruptly like that, especially with the trail connection right there, but I've seen it happen elsewhere..
The Murray Ave lanes are so narrow it's a joke (if your lanes aren't wide enough to fit the bike symbol, they aren't wide enough for safe riding by timid or new cyclists) so I could see them giving up on it altogether. There'll still be the east-west trail on Eco Terra leading to the very slightly less sketchy Irvine Street lanes. They could build a trail on the non-sidewalk side of Cuffman, but there might not be the ROW.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces