HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Nov 16, 2023, 4:30 PM

Very good news if it's true. Moncton developers seem to have a better track record for getting projects built in a timely fashion. We seem to have a lot of big announcements here in SJ followed by..........crickets..............or at best painfully slow progress

I wonder how much of a positive effect these builds will have on the street level social issues plaguing Waterloo. Certainly can't hurt.

Wish a Moncton developer would buy 99 King!

Old Posted Nov 16, 2023, 4:43 PM

Last edited by adamuptownsj; Nov 16, 2023 at 5:43 PM.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2023, 10:32 PM

The revised proposal for 1429 Loch Lomond Road is in the PAC agenda for next week. https://pub-saintjohn.escribemeeting...cumentId=16121

Quote:
"The applicant has revised the proposed development to increase the number of units from 82 to 104 and to change the building topology in the eastern portion of the site. The two multiple unit buildings in the western portion of the site will increase in height from three to four stories and from 30 to 40 units per building. In the eastern portion of the site, the developer is proposing to construct three, eight-unit townhouse buildings that will be two stories in height and are proposed to have ownership tenure. As with the initial proposal, the site will be accessed via a private street with the street now located approximately 20 metres further to the west than the approved concept".

Last edited by DyAm00394; Nov 16, 2023 at 10:44 PM.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2023, 10:56 PM

Proposal for new self storage facility at 1250 Fairville Blvd is in the upcoming PAC agenda next week.

Quote:
"The applicant is proposing to construct a self-storage facility on the currently vacant site. The buildings would be the common typology of associated with a self-storage facility, with units accessed from the exterior of the buildings. The development would also include an associated office building and a parking lot created in the eastern portion of the site".

Old Posted Nov 17, 2023, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyAm00394 View Post
Proposal for new self storage facility at 1250 Fairville Blvd is in the upcoming PAC agenda next week.

Bit of a shame that we aren't getting a few more housing proposals along fairville. But anything is better than a vacant lot.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2023, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgeoftea View Post
Bit of a shame that we aren't getting a few more housing proposals along fairville. But anything is better than a vacant lot.

IDK. I've always seen the Golden Mile as more of Rothesay Ave West (commercial, strip malls, light industrial etc).....Not a particularly desirable place to live. The AQ build surprised me for this reason.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2023, 1:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor734 View Post
IDK. I've always seen the Golden Mile as more of Rothesay Ave West (commercial, strip malls, light industrial etc).....Not a particularly desirable place to live. The AQ build surprised me for this reason.
I think part of it lends itself to residential or mixed-use with increased density, but the area where this proposal is (next to the Eldridge's building) is pretty desolate and basically at a highway offramp, so not exactly a great place to build residential. It's such a wide road though, it's nearly double the width of Rothesay Avenue and really unappealing as a neighbourhood compared to a lot of areas nearby on the West Side.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2023, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkharbour View Post
I think part of it lends itself to residential or mixed-use with increased density, but the area where this proposal is (next to the Eldridge's building) is pretty desolate and basically at a highway offramp, so not exactly a great place to build residential. It's such a wide road though, it's nearly double the width of Rothesay Avenue and really unappealing as a neighbourhood compared to a lot of areas nearby on the West Side.
It also faces a sewage lagoon.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2023, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuptownsj View Post
It also faces a sewage lagoon.
Doesn't seem to hurt K Park or Sagamore Point. Of course Rothhhhesay sewerage doesn't stink

Old Posted Nov 17, 2023, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Doesn't seem to hurt K Park or Sagamore Point. Of course Rothhhhesay sewerage doesn't stink
It will soon when Rothesay starts work on upgrading the Sagamore Pt. lagoon next year and it requires drying out the old lagoons in mid-Summer

Old Posted Nov 18, 2023, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkharbour View Post
It will soon when Rothesay starts work on upgrading the Sagamore Pt. lagoon next year and it requires drying out the old lagoons in mid-Summer

Old Posted Nov 18, 2023, 7:35 PM

Anyone have updates on the following:
- 54 unit housing development off of Dever Rd
- Leinster/Crown 6 story
- Catholic Diocese building conversion to apartments
- Agar Place development

Old Posted Nov 18, 2023, 8:00 PM

Any updates on Saint John's application to the Federal Housing Accelerator fund? I know they applied for 16 million. Moncton just got 15 so I'm guessing whatever comes our way will be less. Especially as we have one shaky Liberal seat held by a "non team player" surrounded by Tory blue vs Moncton's red with cabinet representation.

Last edited by sailor734; Nov 18, 2023 at 9:24 PM.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2023, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Any updates on Saint John's application to the Federal Housing Accelerator fund? I know they applied for 16 million. Moncton just got 15 so I'm guessing whatever comes our way will be less. Especially as we have one shaky Liberal seat held by a "non team player" surrounded by Tory blue vs Moncton's red with cabinet representation.
Should be soon - SJ applied in early July (well before deadline) for $15m over 3 years.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2023, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnguys View Post
Anyone have updates on the following:
- 54 unit housing development off of Dever Rd
- Leinster/Crown 6 story
- Catholic Diocese building conversion to apartments
- Agar Place development
Dever Road is somewhere in the financing process, last thing I heard. Still very real. Odd place for density but there is a townhome market nobody is going after.

Leinster/Crown may be vaporware. I wouldn't count on it... not a word since it was approved by PAC I believe.

Diocese building is starting this winter. Supposed to all be senior's apartments I think. Not sure if that was posted here before.

Agar Place, I've heard nothing about since it was proposed.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2023, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnguys View Post
Thankfully a Moncton developer lol. Might be finished by the time Steepleview is finished
There was an item on yesterday’s council agenda to remove restrictions on the property so it can be sold
I heard from a fairly reliable source that the buyer of St. Vincent's is the same buyer as St. Pats School on the west side...

Old Posted Nov 21, 2023, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuptownsj View Post
Dever Road is somewhere in the financing process, last thing I heard. Still very real. Odd place for density but there is a townhome market nobody is going after.

Leinster/Crown may be vaporware. I wouldn't count on it... not a word since it was approved by PAC I believe.

Diocese building is starting this winter. Supposed to all be senior's apartments I think. Not sure if that was posted here before.

Agar Place, I've heard nothing about since it was proposed.
661 Dever Road appears to be very real and likely starting soon...

I've heard that Leinster/Crown is working through approvals processes and is still a very real project...

The diocese building and Agar Place development are the same proponent I believe and I think one will need to be completed before the other begins, but I could be wrong...

Old Posted Nov 21, 2023, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevEngSJ View Post
I heard from a fairly reliable source that the buyer of St. Vincent's is the same buyer as St. Pats School on the west side...
It is the same buyer. It's in the news today, and posted over in the Uptown thread. 60-70 units planned for St. Vincent, with some affordable housing elements at both properties.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2023, 1:36 AM

Development activity update from January 2023 - October 2023. (From the upcoming Growth Committee Meeting).

Old Posted Nov 21, 2023, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevEngSJ View Post
661 Dever Road appears to be very real and likely starting soon...

I've heard that Leinster/Crown is working through approvals processes and is still a very real project...

The diocese building and Agar Place development are the same proponent I believe and I think one will need to be completed before the other begins, but I could be wrong...
Not sure what approvals are left for Crown/Leinster - already passed PAC and council. Based on design, I’m pretty sure it’s the same developer as the AQ tower - so maybe they want to get that one closer to completion before starting uptown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces