HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jun 20, 2024, 2:50 AM

Looks like the City is considering substituting the uptown growth node, that was in the knowledge park area, for the area around Doak Road, since there has been basically no residential development in that uptown growth node.

They have a tender out for consultation services to do a feasibility study and possibly a secondary municipal plan.

I have to admit that I was looking forward to mix-use developments in that area that has so many amenities in walking distance.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2024, 12:10 PM

Yeah, it's strange there's been no interest there, seems like an ideal location. Being walking distance to everything you'd ever need on a day to day basis. Immediately adjacent to Grand Harvey, turf soccer field, and indoor tennis court. Along with UNB woodlot in your backyard.

It's better than "Ontario land", aka Ridgeline Crescent or those garden homes packed together overlooking the highway on Kimble Drive that are recent developments.

Is the land just priced too high and deterring developers? Utilities must all already be in place as well, which I assume wouldn't be the case along Doak rd.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2024, 12:34 PM

The land is all owned by UNB and I'm not sure if that complicates things. I'm not sure but developers may have to lease the land rather than purchase it.

The zoning is also a bit nonsensical. They have "Endowment Conservation" and "Endowment Development" areas and they are spread out throughout the UNB woodlot. Most of the area along Knowledge Park is zoned for development though.

See here: https://www.arcgis.com/apps/OnePane/...dbb525b6e012aa

It is a bit strange that the Knowledge Park area has zero housing considering it is the second largest employment centre in the city with the forestry complex, five office buildings, RCMP HQ, the mall, Corbett Centre, etc. Quite dumb that no housing has been built there.

But the Doak Road area makes sense for development as well, especially if you can figure out a good mixed-use pattern. There's lots of relatively flat land there and there's already some amenities in the area (Co-op, two proposed churches, a few smaller employers), there's easy access to the highway, etc. It's one of the places in the city that's not great to live in right now but down the road certainly could be.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2024, 3:08 PM

Demolition fencing is up at McLeod House at the top of UNB on Montgomery. I wasn't aware of any plan to tear that down but the windows are boarded up and I don't think it was occupied this year.

It's a shame what's happened to on-campus housing. 20 years ago UNB had a campus plan that included a handful of entirely new residences on an extension of Garland Ct, but the only thing that got built was Parr-Johnston and it was built in such a way as to block the future possibility of expansion to the southeast. Instead, more and more students live off-campus, worsening the housing crisis and encouraging landlords to market apartments exclusively to students, making it harder to find housing for working adults or low-income families.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2024, 3:55 PM

The UNB construction map confirms it is being demolished: https://www.unb.ca/capitalplanning/construction-map/

I wonder if that means they are going to build something to replace it?

Old Posted Jun 20, 2024, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401 View Post
Demolition fencing is up at McLeod House at the top of UNB on Montgomery. I wasn't aware of any plan to tear that down but the windows are boarded up and I don't think it was occupied this year.

It's a shame what's happened to on-campus housing. 20 years ago UNB had a campus plan that included a handful of entirely new residences on an extension of Garland Ct, but the only thing that got built was Parr-Johnston and it was built in such a way as to block the future possibility of expansion to the southeast. Instead, more and more students live off-campus, worsening the housing crisis and encouraging landlords to market apartments exclusively to students, making it harder to find housing for working adults or low-income families.
They're been demoing for months now. They've been removing anything of value, along with asbestos since snow disappeared. A crawler crane (I was told was just used to tear down a building in Newfoundland) is being shipped to the site to tear it down.

The building was last used as a covid quarantine site and has been vacant since then.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401 View Post

In regards to the on-campus housing. I speak with the faculty members on occasion. They mentioned how UNB is desperate for additional on-campus housing. Essentially 10-15 years ago they were saying they had too much but nowadays they're scrambling to come up with the capital to build more residential space.

Here's the current condition of the building, along with the demo crane stationed out back.
20240621_121240 by Optimus Prime, on Flickr

20240621_121254 by Optimus Prime, on Flickr

Last edited by NB_ExistsToo; Jun 21, 2024 at 3:37 PM. Reason: added information

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatelyElms View Post
Something's being demolished at UNB's Central Heating Plant. Not sure what all the components of the building are, but the tall, lightly-coloured rounded building in behind it is about a quarter or so demolished as of today.
View of this ongoing demo

20240621_121506 by Optimus Prime, on Flickr

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 5:06 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

According to this Retail Insider article, Moxie's is apparently interested in opening new locations in Fredericton and Charlottetown

https://retail-insider.com/retail-in...nton-flagship/

The chain is rolling out a new concept restaurant. They are planning on 15-18 new locations, mostly in the US, and in Vancouver and greater Toronto, but, did also mention these two Maritime cities.

I like Moxie's. Moxie's and Milestones are favoutites of mine in Moncton.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 5:32 PM

Southside is the most likely spot for it; that's certainly the busier area of the city but I'm not sure where they would find a spot. Corbett and Regent are pretty full as far as restaurant pads go. Maybe they could find a spot along Prospect.

A long shot would be along 2NC. It's less traffic and 'out of the way', but both Smart Centres and the new minimall on Cliffe Street/2NC have restaurant pads staked out, so they might be a possiblity of setting up there.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
Southside is the most likely spot for it; that's certainly the busier area of the city but I'm not sure where they would find a spot. Corbett and Regent are pretty full as far as restaurant pads go. Maybe they could find a spot along Prospect.

A long shot would be along 2NC. It's less traffic and 'out of the way', but both Smart Centres and the new minimall on Cliffe Street/2NC have restaurant pads staked out, so they might be a possiblity of setting up there.
Yeah the Cliffe/2NC development specifically has a "pub style eatery" on the site plan, or something like that.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 5:56 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

How about a downtown location somewhere close to the new performing arts centre???

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 6:11 PM

Possible, but space downtown is relatively tight, and most of it is earmarked for denser development that will not be ready for years.

The Brunswick/Regent corner behind the PAC for example is 'available' but it is earmarked for multistory mixed use.

TD Tower II has similar plans.

Maybe you could squeeze it in some of hte smaller locations, like the old Issaac's Way lot, but that may not be accessible enough for what they're looking for.

King's Place has a lot of empty spots so maybe something could be done there; but I'd almost prefer the mall management planned a more ordered facelift of that mall (not that that's likely to happen any time soon).

Maybe the magnifying glass building next to King's Place (on Carleton) might be an option. I don't think its ground floor slots have been taken up yet.

Or maybe if the Brewbakers building could be sorted out, they might consider taking over that space. Still tight, but it's right next to the Courthouse and PAC, and has a history of fine dining already.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 6:41 PM
New Brunswick booster!

Up by Popeye's perhaps? Or that empty lot for sale on Prospect by Swiss Chalet.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 6:42 PM

The new building on Carleton has a vacant space on the main floor but the prime corner space is taken now.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 6:45 PM

I was thinking the spot next to Swiss Chalet.

The lot behind Popeyes (across from Pur and Simple) is another possibility I hadn't really considered.

Bottom of Smythe, the old Ultramar, is available too and might be a spot they might consider. Maybe they could buy up the Maritime Bus terminal and get a bigger lot. (Maritime Bus doesn't seem particularly tied to the corner)

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
I was thinking the spot next to Swiss Chalet.

The lot behind Popeyes (across from Pur and Simple) is another possibility I hadn't really considered.

Bottom of Smythe, the old Ultramar, is available too and might be a spot they might consider. Maybe they could buy up the Maritime Bus terminal and get a bigger lot. (Maritime Bus doesn't seem particularly tied to the corner)
Would Regent Mall be an option ie a new addition or a stand alone in the north parking lot that is not fully utilized?

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:15 AM
New Brunswick booster!

I see there is a Booster Juice opening by the RBC on Prospect. I wonder if the one in the mall will stay open?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces