HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Oct 27, 2023, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkharbour View Post
Very exciting to see that on the table, I had been working to try and get designs for that years ago but the viaduct at Haymarket was always the stumbling block. As a resident of Mount Pleasant who goes to Lily Lake with my dog every day and also walks Uptown to work, this is a dream for the future of my neighbourhood.

I have mixed feelings about Harbour Passage. In one way it is a great way to go for a walk away from traffic noise and provides access to the water and water views. At the same time it also seems to me to be lacking in any vibrancy or energy.

I once read an op ed piece by an urban planner (can't remember where or when) about Vancouver's seawall. He was taking the view that it should have sections that were more like Baltimore's inner harbour or Halifax's boardwalk (food and retail stalls, bike and scooter rentals, restaurants/bars with patios etc etc...........more of a market/fair like atmosphere and less of a walking/bike path, a bit of greenspace and nothing else. As things are the slightest suggestion of any commercialization bring out the torches and pitchforks.

He took the position that the fierce opposition to any development whatsoever (largely from adjacent condo owners who regard it as their "backyard") was unfair to the rest of the city. I think in this case it was over something as benign as a proposal to install some tennis or volleyball courts adjacent to the seawall.

I realize Harbour Passage is much too long for the Halifax type of thing everywhere but along the part in the heart of the city ( east side of Long Wharf, Market Sq., Fundy Quay and along Pugsley wharf to the cruise ship terminals I think it would add a draw to get people there.

Hopefully Fundy Quay will incorporate some commercial stuff bordering directly on Harbour passage.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2023, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Very exciting to see that on the table, I had been working to try and get designs for that years ago but the viaduct at Haymarket was always the stumbling block. As a resident of Mount Pleasant who goes to Lily Lake with my dog every day and also walks Uptown to work, this is a dream for the future of my neighborhood.
I also live in the Mount Pleasant/Rockwood area. In my opinion, the better option to connect Harbour Passage and Rockwood would be to utilize the Stanley Street walking bridge (which could stand to be refurbished). Easy connection to Harbour Passage at Long Wharf. Whenever I walk uptown that is the route that I use; I never walk down the overpass to Haymarket Square.

Last edited by JakeNB; Oct 27, 2023 at 1:07 PM.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2023, 1:13 PM

To both of the above...

I am pretty sure Fundy Quay will have commercial space facing Harbour Passage. Not sure about the first building but the second will. The Market Square restaurants will open up directly onto it too, now. Or like 50 feet from it.

The lack of business activity along it is partially geography, right? From Long Wharf to Ocean Steel it basically weaves along the water below an arterial. Any future Long Wharf development will likely include moving the path to along the perimeter of the site and away from the tracks, like at Fundy Quay.

Not sure about the connection point. The outdoor rink, skate park, Harbour Station, and maybe the bus terminal/fantasy land train terminal, would all be excellent things for the trail to tie together. But after that, along City Road for half a kilometre, it's desolate. Then again, that's better than going 600m down Crown and then another 800m along an overpass. I thought the original plan was to use Marsh Creek? Maybe that was an ACAP idea only.

Were you thinking Stanley>Wright>Gooderich>Mount Pleasant, or Stanley>Wright>Gooderich>Seely>through the Public Gardens? I'm partial to the latter, the Public Gardens should be more visible and the gradient is more typical of the path.

Lastly, I was just over in that area the other day and it's looking a lot nicer than I remember. Slept-on neighbourhood. The city should work with the province on fixing the Winter St ramps and making it a more typical highway set up. A doodle I made last year would restore the old Winter alignment, signalize the Rockland/Winter/Paradise/on-ramp intersection, and open up some commercial space in a high-vis area: https://imgur.com/a/uNMwOvi

Old Posted Oct 27, 2023, 1:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuptownsj View Post
Were you thinking Stanley>Wright>Gooderich>Mount Pleasant, or Stanley>Wright>Gooderich>Seely>through the Public Gardens? I'm partial to the latter, the Public Gardens should be more visible and the gradient is more typical of the path.
Actually I was thinking Stanley>Wright>Spruce>Public Gardens>Rockwood

Old Posted Oct 27, 2023, 7:56 PM

A new development is proposed for 1440 Loch Lomond Road. This development will be a mix of Four 4-story apartment buildings, (52 units each) and townhouse clusters.

The applicant is Slopeside Holdings Ltd. / Erik de Jong.

https://pub-saintjohn.escribemeeting...eikotO1vDgLCco

Last edited by DyAm00394; Oct 27, 2023 at 8:12 PM.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2023, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyAm00394 View Post
A new development is proposed for 1440 Loch Lomond Road. This development will be a mix of Four 4-story apartment buildings, (52 units each) and townhouse clusters.

The applicant is Slopeside Holdings Ltd. / Erik de Jong.

https://pub-saintjohn.escribemeeting...eikotO1vDgLCco

Balcony style and colour scheme look remarkably like Seabird in Millidgeville. Is this a "one size fits all" design?

Old Posted Oct 31, 2023, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor734 View Post
Balcony style and colour scheme look remarkably like Seabird in Millidgeville. Is this a "one size fits all" design?
If you have 9 minutes, this is a good video that may answer a portion of your question above
https://youtu.be/mrxZqPVFTag?feature=shared

Last edited by cdnguys; Oct 31, 2023 at 5:04 PM.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2023, 3:47 PM

Quote:
If you look around there are a lot of these popping up in Fredericton and Moncton too, it's a common balcony design these days.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2023, 4:09 PM

New life for former Cherry Brook Zoo in Saint John

Quote:
"A former New Brunswick zoo will be turned into a nature-based early learning and childcare campus.

Origins Natural Learning Childcare has purchased the former Cherry Brook Zoo property in Saint John.

“We are thrilled to embark on the incredible journey of transforming the former Cherry Brook Zoo property into a vibrant space for young minds and bodies to play, learn and thrive outside,” CEO Erin Schryer said in a news release on Tuesday.

“We look forward to nurturing the next generation of curious explorers in this beautiful outdoor space.”

It is being described as a unique and innovative project for one of New Brunswick’s largest early learning and childcare companies.

The project will emulate The Woods project in nearby Quispamsis, where infants, toddlers and preschoolers spend most of their outside with access to outdoor classroom environments.

Schryer said they recognize the pressing need for accessible, high-quality childcare services in the community.

“We have seen first-hand the positive impact high-quality early education has on children, but also on our communities and our province,” she said.

“We’re proud to offer this vital service to families and we imagine creating over 100 spaces designed to meet the needs of families, employers and importantly, children.”

Work to reimagine the space is expected to begin later this year following the close of the sale.

Schryer said childcare space requests are not currently being accepted, but they will announce when registration is open".
https://www.country94.ca/2023/10/31/...in-saint-john/

Old Posted Oct 31, 2023, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnguys View Post
If you have 9 minutes, this is a good video that may to answer a portion of your question above
https://youtu.be/mrxZqPVFTag?feature=shared
Interesting. I had heard about the new code allowing taller wood framed. Didn't realize how noisy they are until I talked to someone who lived in one of the Cavanaugh build ones off of University. They actually got a notice asking them not to wear shoes in their apartment. My only experience with apartments have been concrete highrises in Halifax 40+ years ago and my daughter's condo in Van. Both were/are extremely quiet

Old Posted Oct 31, 2023, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Interesting. I had heard about the new code allowing taller wood framed. Didn't realize how noisy they are until I talked to someone who lived in one of the Cavanaugh build ones off of University. They actually got a notice asking them not to wear shoes in their apartment. My only experience with apartments have been concrete highrises in Halifax 40+ years ago and my daughter's condo in Van. Both were/are extremely quiet
Nothing beats concrete sound and insulation wise.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2023, 12:58 PM

AllNewBrunswick is reporting that Newfoundland-based energy firm, North Atlantic, has expanded to Saint John, NB. https://northatlantic.ca/

Old Posted Nov 3, 2023, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyAm00394 View Post
AllNewBrunswick is reporting that Newfoundland-based energy firm, North Atlantic, has expanded to Saint John, NB. https://northatlantic.ca/
I don’t have a subscription - any idea if they’ll have a branded station or just home heating ?

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 7:43 PM

Aerials of Burlington Flats at 50 Technology Dr visible on LinkedIn. First floor framing going up.

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/nextp...member_desktop

Old Posted Nov 11, 2023, 2:28 PM

Tipsy Tomato apartments

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Nov 11, 2023, 2:30 PM

Current: The Vistas on Technology

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Nov 11, 2023, 2:35 PM

Construction has broken ground on Barrack Green Residences

Old Posted Nov 11, 2023, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnguys View Post
Construction has broken ground on Barrack Green Residences
For a split second I thought you meant The Landmark down at the end of Sydney had started and I almost fell out of my chair.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2023, 3:54 PM

Quote:
For a split second I thought you meant The Landmark down at the end of Sydney had started and I almost fell out of my chair.
I think we were all duped on that one. Kinda got a hint when I saw the amateur’ish renderings. Now some absentee landowner from BC owns one of the most prime pieces of property in SJ which will sit vacant for 30 years

Old Posted Nov 11, 2023, 4:07 PM

We can fix a lot of this by adding a zero to the property tax rate on vacant land in the PDA, and assess it based on the central peninsula plan or something.

I say this as a vacant land owner. I pay like a hundred bucks a year for each of two smallHarding lots, under $800 for two large ones on Waterloo. Pennies.

Good to see Barrack Green starting. Lots more infill opportunity down here.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces