HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 17, 2008, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketoronto View Post
...But carving up the downtown stores is not the answer. How are you suppose to make a better store by cutting it in half and basically cutting in half what you will carry. People are not going to come downtown to shop at a store that is the same size as the one at the mall and features the same selection.

I guess no more Christmas Street, where they take a large part of one floor in the downtown store, and turn it into a huge Christmas store. They won't have the room.

Mike - stop grouping the "downtown stores" together!!!! Arggghhhh....

If you're really that misty-eyed about it, go hang out in the furniture/appliance section of the Bay downtown Calgary...or Winnipeg...or Vancouver. You'll see EXACTLY why it makes sense to reduce!

Old Posted Jul 17, 2008, 7:11 PM

The following quote from the link below shows why we must worry a little the new owners of the Bay. As you can see they don't care about cities at all.

http://lostnewyorkcity.blogspot.com/...-landmark.html

"Just last November, the president of NRDC, the acronym that owns the Lord & Taylor department store chain, said he wanted to close the shopping icon's flagship Manhattan store on Fifth Avenue and 39th Street. "It's nice having a Manhattan store, but I wouldn't call it key," said President Richard Baker. "We want to be where people live, not where they work.""

"Now, NRDC is saying it wants to keep the store up and running. What changed? Well, it may have something to do with the City's Landmarks Commission announcement that it's considering making the 1914 building a landmark."

Old Posted Jul 17, 2008, 7:28 PM

the days of huge department stores are over though - the bay in vancouver has about 7 floors and the top floors are dead and the christmas street is dead year after year - most of the ornaments are still there in january unsold - me and my friend usually scoop in when things are 75% off

in portland they took an old 8 or 9 level macys and knocked it down to a reasonable amount 4 floors i think and are converting the rest into a hotel - when we visited prior to the announcement of a hotel they had sealed one level off entirely and the top levels were pretty much me and my friends looking around on our own - where as the suburban mall stores were quite busy

anyway a discount store like Zellers would do well in downtown vancouver there is nothing to compete with and a large base of customers in need of cheap offerings

Old Posted Jul 17, 2008, 7:55 PM

I don't think the age of the big store is over. I think it is stupid that 50 years down the road now, we have less selection in our retail districts, than before, eventhough we have bigger cities. You are telling me a big city can't support a big store?

This is a North American thing. It is funny how department stores in Paris not only have huge stores, but also have expanded their stores. The large department store Galleries Lafayette in Paris just bought a year or two ago a building across the street, and added even more selling space.
There is one difference though. These stores don't have suburban branch stores.

We basically have killed these stores ourselves in North America. And good owners and managers can bring them back.
The reason these department stores are losing customers is because the tiny stores they downsize to don't offer good selection.
I would not shop at department stores either if I had to contend with the tiny suburban branch stores. But the flagships offer great selection.

Don't know about Vancouver store, but the downtown Toronto Christmas Street in the Queen Street store sells out in like the first week of december if not before.

Amazing how grand department stores flourish in places like London, Paris, and even Australia. Yet you are telling me Canada can't support a grand store.

The continued downsizing like what was done in Portland will remove the grandure and reason to go downtown. It will turn downtown into nothing special, and people will have no reason to go if the stores are the same size and offer nothing different then the tiny suburban stores. You can bet the new reovated Macy's in Portland is not the same as the old store and probably has very little selection compared to before.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2008, 5:39 AM

personally i am sad to see them go but better something be done than see them dead and empty

i personally loved the european dept stores i got to visit and yes the suburban stores have totally killed off their downtown mother stores - selfridges music department was an HMV!

me and my friend were just looking at the furniture downtown in the bay last week and considering that most dwellings are small the furniture is all oversized monster house stuff - so not what anybody downtown wants to buy or could buy as they have no space

plus their pricing is pretty high - you can get much better deals at other stores

they need to revamp what they carry so you really have to shop there since its not at every other store already

we can't blame anyone but ourselves - its not the evil corporations ruining everything its the people/consumers who are behind the death nail

Old Posted Jul 18, 2008, 12:03 PM

I love the furniture section at the Bay Queen Street store. It is an entire floor, and they have different themed rooms to showcase the designs, including a Japanese room. Amazing stuff.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 6:03 AM

South Surrey descends on new Wal-Mart 'Supercentre'

A massive Wal-Mart store opens at 24th Ave and 160th Street. There are 31 check outs in the store.
Photograph by : Ian Smith/Vancouver Sun

Shoppers jammed the 1,000-stall parking lot at Wal-Mart's newest supercentre in south Surrey, the second such format store and biggest in B.C., not long after its grand opening Wednesday at 8 a.m.

The 218,000-square-foot behemoth boasts a full grocery store with bakery and deli, a first for B.C., bringing the world's largest retailer into this province's grocery wars.

"[The supercentre] format is the way of the future," Rick Mather, Wal-Mart's district manager for B.C. supercentres, said in an interview, "one-stop shopping, that's where we're going."

Replete with lower environmental impact touches such as LED lighting in exterior signage and a recycling centre, the outlet also houses a pet centre, clothing aisles, a pharmacy and automotive centre. It also leases space to a Tim Hortons, a McDonald's, a hair salon and nail salon.

Mather said B.C.'s first Wal-Mart supercentre, opened in Duncan on Vancouver Island, has had good success, and "if you look today, we're doing well [in south Surrey]."

Mather estimated that 300 to 400 people lined up to be among the first in the doors to get at opening specials such as seedless grapes for 97 cents a pound, giant packs of brand-name disposable diapers for $29.97 and 15-roll packages of brand-name paper towels for $9.97.

Mather added that Wal-Mart was drawn by the location, a large parcel of property at the southwest corner of 24th Avenue and 160th Street, in the epicentre of what has become the sprawling growth of the south Surrey and White Rock areas.

"It's accessible road-wise," Mather added, "right off Highway 99."

By late morning Wednesday, the store's 34 checkout counters were all buzzing with multi-cart lineups; for many shoppers, it was the one-stop-shopping concept that lured them.

"I actually just came in to see what was available," Surrey working mother Gurmit Athwal said, "but I ended up buying lots of stuff. I felt they were very, very, very reasonable prices."

Athwal had to make three trips to cart out all of her purchases, from king-sized bedding sets to dishwashing detergent, and reckons that the store will change the way she shops.

Juggling two jobs, Athwal said that Wal-Mart's convenient hours, 6 a.m. to midnight, will allow her to shop between shifts. The store is also conveniently located within a 10-to-15 minute drive from her home.

"I felt that I can just come to the store and get all my shopping done," Athwal said, "and I'm going to do that."

Stephen Casson also made a brief five-to-10 minute trek from his home, curious to check out the store that he has watched develop.

"It's a very large store, and I must say I'm very impressed," Casson said. "It's going to be interesting to see what happens with the local guys, the small stores, but the economy's booming out here, housing's growing."

Chander Arora, owner of Michael's Artisan Bakery & Cafe just down 24th Avenue from the Wal-Mart, is one of those small retailers concerned about how his business will be affected.

"I can't stop anybody from having a business," Arora said, but,"they have a bigger outfit, more buying power and try to undercut people."

He hopes his bakery's unique offerings - European-style breads such as spelt and caraway rye, rich baked goods such as chocolate hazelnut cheesecake - will help differentiate his business from the mega-competitor down the street.

"We try to give a personal service and we know a lot of our customers by name and what they require," he said,

Mel Jesson, partner in the neighbouring Black Bond Books, said "you can't go up against Wal-Mart."

However, he doesn't anticipate the south Surrey outlet of Black Bond's 10-store chain will suffer much, since it caters to customers interested in books other than the best-sellers on Wal-Mart's shelves.

"There's a certain novelty when there's a new place," Jesson said, "whether it's the big books box [store] or a store like Wal-Mart. But that'll wear off."

Retail consultant David Ian Gray, with the firm Dig360, said smaller stores that do things that Wal-Mart doesn't do should have less to worry about.

"[Wal-Mart] is really going up against a Superstore, or Save-On-Foods," Gray said.

Shoppers who regularly go to specialty stores such as Whole Foods or Capers, or like to hit their corner produce store for the freshest fruits and vegetables likely won't change their habits.

However, stores like Safeway or Save-On-Foods, and even big boxes like Canadian Tire, will have to step up service to compete.

Gray added that the supercentre has been key to Wal-Mart's resurgence over the past couple of years.

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/n...9-9065bc45f753

Supercentre opens

By Laura Baziuk - Peace Arch News

Published: July 30, 2008 3:00 PM
Updated: July 30, 2008 5:02 PM

It was not even 10 a.m. yet on opening day, and already hundreds of people had emerged from South Surrey's Wal-Mart Supercentre – one of the chain's biggest stores in B.C. – shopping carts full.

"It's good. I don't have to go to Langley anymore," said Candis Golanowski.

She had visited the 215,000-sq. ft. store's fresh produce section, which regular Wal-Marts do not have and therefore gives this location its supercentre name. "I'm very impressed with the meat prices."

Cars crawled the parking lot, cash registers buzzed and dinged and blue-vested employees fluttered through the aisles.

"It was pretty crowded," said Stephen Chen. He and his family came from Vancouver to check out the wares, and ended their trip armed with a GPS unit, rice pot, TV, laptop and paper towels.

Another shopper, who identified himself only as Darren, left with a 50-inch flat-screen TV. He went in looking for a deal on diapers.

Assistant store manager Brenda Canning said, so far, opening day has brought few problems.

"I'm amazed. I've actually had coffee, that's how smooth it is," she said.

"The customers are very excited. We sold out of (Nintendo) Wiis in, like, five minutes."

The Grandview Corners location is at 2355 160 St.

http://www.bclocalnews.com/surrey_ar.../26119644.html

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 6:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketoronto View Post
I love the furniture section at the Bay Queen Street store. It is an entire floor, and they have different themed rooms to showcase the designs, including a Japanese room. Amazing stuff.
same as downtown vancouver

but the furniture isn't that special

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 1:51 PM
The Vomit Bag.

My question is: Do Walmarts make people ugly? Or do they just draw ugly people? The prototypical Walfart customer is an overweight woman in her late 40s/early 50s, with a bad beehive hairdo, wearing a Minnie Mouse shirt.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 2:31 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
My question is: Do Walmarts make people ugly? Or do they just draw ugly people? The prototypical Walfart customer is an overweight woman in her late 40s/early 50s, with a bad beehive hairdo, wearing a Minnie Mouse shirt.
You’re making me feel better. On the rare occasions that I go to Wal-Mart, I always come out of there depressed about the place I live in.

Glad to hear it’s the same thing everywhere!

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 2:48 PM

Quote:
It can't be any worse then the prototypical shoppers at a Supercentre location. I mean hell, those stores have been a part of the Western Canadian landscape for 20-25 years now? Now that's a true Supercentre.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 5:27 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Yeah but that prototype has morphed into fat African American woman and fat Filipinas wearing fake Gucci sunglasses. It's all bad. Walmart is a soul-destroying experience and I cannot fathom being SO poor that you'd have to shop there. I'd sell a kidney first.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 8:43 PM

^I hate to admit, we shop there...not much choice in a smaller center. I do try to go to other places first - or wait to go to the city, but sometimes, its just convenience.

The worst part is, they sell a lot of pure junk. I think we've made at least 3 trips back to return garbage (don't ask why we bought it in the first place...let's just say "lesson learned"). Even a $4 battery operated water gun for my son...we actually bought two. Neither of them worked.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 9:30 PM

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 10:17 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntotheWest View Post
^I hate to admit, we shop there....
...but you don't HAVE to, right? :-)

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post

AHAHAHAHAHAHA

That's gold Jerry... GOLD!

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 11:10 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

If you have 8 kids and the babydaddies are all in prison you don't have many alternatives.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2008, 12:28 AM
Calgarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilson View Post
It can't be any worse then the prototypical shoppers at a Supercentre location. I mean hell, those stores have been a part of the Western Canadian landscape for 20-25 years now? Now that's a true Supercentre.
Yeah, we've had Superstores for a long time, but the uglies congregate at Wal-Mart. The Asians go to Superstores, and young Asian women are hot.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2008, 12:28 AM
Calgarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post
She raises a valid point.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2008, 12:38 AM

I hate getting all dressed up in my nicest T-shirt to go to Walmart!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada