HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 20, 2010, 11:36 PM

It would be perfect if they could choose a design that can operate flush with the ground (seems like it would never work with the cities drainage and lowlying areas), but also operate on an evelated structure. I think we should pursue an intermediate semi-local system and then later create a connection with a system connecting with Baton Rouge. High-Speed Rail vs. a "tram" system, if you will. Then you could create a rapid transit system that ran from the airport, lakeside/causeway-medical center and cbd or atleast all connected them. The size would be similar to, ...swallow animosity, Houstons lightrail.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2010, 3:07 AM

Street Cars

I think you'd be hard pressed to get something that modern looking on the lines. I don't really see why the reproduction cars can't be just as fast and modern. I would think the two main things that modern cars bring to the table are:

1.) Lower step in height (or it looks like that way); and
2.) Running in tandem or multiples

I don't see how you're ever going to get them to go much faster as long as they have to cross streets and adhere to traffic signals. Maybe some increase would be possible, but I've always found them to be going about the same speed as cars when riding the St. Charles line. Plus you have to deal with pedestrians, bikers, joggers..... Even if its on the neutral ground I think people would balk at something wizzing by at 50 MPH.

Also as far as the reasons for more lines, while the initial investment is more; rail lines beat the pants off of busses. Add to that the fact that in todays climate and bus is going to be some $700K hybrid or natural gas bus. I doubt we will ever see fully electric buses.

Finally, something that I've noticed is that street cars don't have the stigma of buses. In many peoples' minds, street cars are cool and historic. Buses in many peoples' minds, are for poor people.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2010, 3:34 AM

"Finally, something that I've noticed is that street cars don't have the stigma of buses. In many peoples' minds, street cars are cool and historic. Buses in many peoples' minds, are for poor people."

Bingo. Hard to compare the public transport system to Europe's because its just not used extensively except in a select few cities. Can get around New Orleans in a car easily. The street cars are ridden for the experience.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2010, 4:26 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueingreen View Post
I think you'd be hard pressed to get something that modern looking on the lines. I don't really see why the reproduction cars can't be just as fast and modern. I would think the two main things that modern cars bring to the table are:

1.) Lower step in height (or it looks like that way); and
2.) Running in tandem or multiples
Sure... longer trains could be run during Mardi Gras, or on game days to allow people to park in CBD garages further away from the Dome. That scalability is an advantage.

The low-floor allows handicapped people to use the streetcars more easily. Note that this doesn't just benefit people in wheelchairs; it also benefits elderly people who might have difficulty with the stairs. There are a lot of elderly tourists who visit the city; there is also a lot of senior housing in the city. That's a lot of potential ridership.

The low-floor might cause a drainage issue, but I doubt it. The streetcar lines don't tend to run through the most flood-prone areas, and the tracks are elevated a few inches above the worst of it.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2010, 4:38 AM

streetcars, the St. Charles line

It seems an integral missing link is the gap between the end of the St. Charles line on South Carollton and Canal Street. I know there's serious obstacles in making the connection but aren't they surmountable? You've already got the spiffy new North Carollton spur to City Park and the art museum. Wouldn't it be nice to have a four way streetcar intersection at Canal and Carollton?

Old Posted Dec 21, 2010, 8:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgray View Post
It seems an integral missing link is the gap between the end of the St. Charles line on South Carollton and Canal Street. I know there's serious obstacles in making the connection but aren't they surmountable? You've already got the spiffy new North Carollton spur to City Park and the art museum. Wouldn't it be nice to have a four way streetcar intersection at Canal and Carollton?

I think there are a couple of reasons why it was not connected. First is the rail underpass at I-10. The underpass gradient is probably to much for a street car to handle, especially the st. charles line ones.

Second, a ground level crossing of the rail lines would be difficult because two major rail arteries into the city intersect right around the area. That means that a street car might be waiting a while for two trains to clear the tracks in order to cross.

The rail lines didn't even want street cars to cross press st. on the proposed rampart / st. claude line at ground level even though there is already a car crossing. I think it would be tougher to convince them to put in a street car only crossing on the carrollton line.

So here's a proposal video of some of the light rail stations in Houston (gasp I know). This is kind of what I had in mind for dedicated stations with digital arrival times. And those cars would look great on the not historic in the least loyola line:

http://vimeo.com/3615604

Not sure if you can embed videos so only have the link.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2010, 5:27 PM

30 story tower

For what it's worth, 30 story tower posted on Bidclerk.

http://www.bidclerk.com/project.457720.html

Old Posted Dec 21, 2010, 11:14 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgray View Post
For what it's worth, 30 story tower posted on Bidclerk.

http://www.bidclerk.com/project.457720.html

Sounds like a proposal we dont know about yet ! And it's clearly saying it's new construction too.... Any ideas ?

Old Posted Dec 22, 2010, 1:09 AM

Nola.com has some good news concerning a major retailer locating in the Market Street Power Plant property. Glad to see that construction is planned to begin in the spring!

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...pessed_in.html

Last edited by N.O.L.A.; Dec 22, 2010 at 1:13 AM. Reason: website link not working

Old Posted Dec 22, 2010, 3:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.O.L.A. View Post
Nola.com has some good news concerning a major retailer locating in the Market Street Power Plant property. Glad to see that construction is planned to begin in the spring!

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...pessed_in.html

do you think it will be IKEA??

if so, then...

Old Posted Dec 22, 2010, 5:21 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschin2 View Post
do you think it will be IKEA??

if so, then...

I could be reading to much into the story but I dont think its Ikea they are talking about as they said " a national billion dollar retailer" is interested in it. IKEA would generally be referred to as an international retailer. Could just be reading too much into semantics but thought Id point that out nonetheless.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2010, 5:40 AM
-

Project Description
Site work and new construction of a restaurant in New Orleans. Completed working drawings call for the construction of a 19,000-square-foot restaurant. ...

http://www.bidclerk.com/project.1448323.html

Im guessing this is for the Mannings Restaurant Bar on Fulton!

Old Posted Dec 22, 2010, 6:24 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
I could be reading to much into the story but I dont think its Ikea they are talking about as they said " a national billion dollar retailer" is interested in it. IKEA would generally be referred to as an international retailer. Could just be reading too much into semantics but thought Id point that out nonetheless.
IKEA's now the leading contender for me. I caught this little blurb:

Quote:
Originally Posted by from the article
Swickle and Ullian declined to name the anchor tenant, but said that it's a company that already does lots of business with New Orleanians -- over the Internet.
I know IKEA does a ton of business with New Orleanians - enough that somebody runs a twice-weekly truck full of stuff from the Houston IKEA store. Ordinarily, you have to present a credit card to do in-store pickup at IKEA. The delivery business must have a special arrangement with IKEA management to do third-party delivery, so clearly IKEA management is aware of the potential market in New Orleans.

Target would be the other major possibility, but Target already has locations in Metairie, Harvey, and Slidell. Why would people order Target merchandise over the internet when they can just drive to the suburban Targets fairly quickly, or buy the same items from another local store?

Can y'all think of any other billion-dollar bricks-and-mortar retailers with a significant internet business that aren't currently in New Orleans? Somebody at the T-P comments suggested Bass Pro Shops. I've never known them to open urban locations, although they were considering a downtown location in Buffalo before the deal fell through. Cabela's doesn't have any urban locations either, and they're already in Gonzales - driving distance (ish) for most New Orleanians.

Last edited by ardecila; Dec 22, 2010 at 6:59 AM.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2010, 9:20 AM
TL;DR

Random, but...

WTF? Why is this not in New Orleans?

Louis Armstrong House Museum (Queens, NY)

Old Posted Dec 22, 2010, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Target would be the other major possibility, but Target already has locations in Metairie, Harvey, and Slidell. Why would people order Target merchandise over the internet when they can just drive to the suburban Targets fairly quickly, or buy the same items from another local store?
Not to mention there's one going up in Kenner.

Quote:
Can y'all think of any other billion-dollar bricks-and-mortar retailers with a significant internet business that aren't currently in New Orleans? Somebody at the T-P comments suggested Bass Pro Shops. I've never known them to open urban locations, although they were considering a downtown location in Buffalo before the deal fell through. Cabela's doesn't have any urban locations either, and they're already in Gonzales - driving distance (ish) for most New Orleanians.
If I'm not mistaken, they're in the process of transforming The Pyramid in Memphis, TN into a Bass Pro Shop. I'd hate to see that in the power plant for some reason though. Still, I honestly can't really think of anything else that would use that amout of space.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2010, 5:07 PM
-

Sort of like the Basketball team in the middle of Mormon country being called the Jazz, just stupid!

Old Posted Dec 22, 2010, 5:10 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptowner View Post
Not to mention there's one going up in Kenner.

If I'm not mistaken, they're in the process of transforming The Pyramid in Memphis, TN into a Bass Pro Shop. I'd hate to see that in the power plant for some reason though. Still, I honestly can't really think of anything else that would use that amout of space.
My money is on this being a Bass Pro Shop; however, Id prefer an Ikea. I dont know of Ikea reusing any historic spaces so it would be interesting to see. I just got back from Baltimore last night and was able to visit their Power Plant facility that was adapted to retail most of the stores were a bit cheesy but the building itself was very nice. I will say after seeing that building I never realized how massive the New Orleans Power Plant truly is.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2010, 6:03 PM
Baltimore

I do not know if this is good news or bad news...

Quote:
Mississippi's Hancock Bank will acquire Whitney Holding Corp. in $1.5 billion stock deal
Wednesday, December 22, 2010
NOLA.com

Hancock Holding Co., the parent company of Mississippi-based Hancock Bank, is buying New Orleans-based Whitney Holding Corporation in a $1.5 billion stock deal that will be completed in the second quarter of next year.

The combined company will be headquartered in New Orleans and led by a combination of Whitney and Hancock bankers, according to Whitney President John M. Turner Jr.

Once the two banks merge, banking sites in Alabama, Mississippi and Florida will operate under the Hancock brand, while locations in Louisiana and Texas will operate under the name Whitney Bank. "This was not even a negotiated item," said Hancock CEO Carl Chaney, who said the Whitney name is a valuable brand.
more.... http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...2/post_32.html

Old Posted Dec 22, 2010, 6:27 PM
-

Seeme to be good news at least the headquarters of a now bigger bank will be in New Orleans although total job gains is probably minimal.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2010, 7:43 PM
TL;DR

In the end, it can only work out to give New Orleans more regional influence. I'm all for it, especially if it means I can use Hancock ATMs without a fee.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations