HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil325
Not sure there are any better markets available in North America right now. Possibly Seattle, but that is by no means clear. Somewhere in the GTA potentially, but that brings a whole new set of problems with territorial rights. Melnyk doesn't have a lot of leverage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoods View Post
The GTA and Seattle if they ever choose to go there will be through expansion, they would not want to loose that type new revenue that would not be shared with the players. A possibility of a franchising moving is Kansas City, they have an arena but I doubt any owner would be willing to pay the $500M expansion fee when they could get a lower end franchise for less than half.
Depending on what is going on with the whole NHL expansion situation (which still seems up in the air) Las Vegas and Quebec City might also be in play.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 1:13 PM

Quote:
"The NCC looks at this nationally. People in Ottawa look at it as a huge opportunity for city building," said Michael Powell. "For us it's a lot of new neighbours will be moving in."
I find this to be a key point that will be played out. We know that the NCC often discusses their mandate being for all Canadians, but this project is as much a city building one as it is one of National importance. If not more so. Does a hockey arena fit with their decisions, or will that be de-emphasised in favour of other "institutions."

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_haak View Post
I'm mildly amused that he built his apocalypse bunker in Polynesian on an island that has got to be one of the most vulnerable places on the planet to sea level rise due to climate change.
An eccentric billionaire's apocalypse shelter would be a pretty awesome attraction for Lebreton. Way better than any of the pavilions they're proposing.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 1:57 PM

Quote:
I'm mildly amused that he built his apocalypse bunker in Polynesian on an island that has got to be one of the most vulnerable places on the planet to sea level rise due to climate change.
And he's even managed to have Nukutipipi blacked out on Google earth

20d 42m 05s S, 143d 04m 11s W

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Stilts.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 4:00 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
Stilts.
Naturally for Laliberte!

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 4:19 PM
Busy Beaver

$20 million won't buy you much in a remote island where everything has to be shipped in. Many small luxury yachts cost that much. In fact one of the most expensive yachts costs $20 million per guest to build! It's probably a nice vacation home he's hyped up to boost his quirky reputation.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 4:51 PM

I much prefer the vision and appeal of DCDLS or RV, which seems like a highly desirable neighborhood... that won't get me there outside of Sens games. I think DCDLS will get me there on non-hockey nights.

I think that no one will force Melnyk to sell, not the NHL or anyone else.

The harsh reality is should DCDLS win, they will absolutely build that arena and they will get all the non-hockey revenue, which will starve Melnyk into a position that he has to sell. So, yes, I really believe that if DCDLS wins, Melnyk will have to. And he should while he can get a lot of dough for his team.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 4:57 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

The Ottawa Citizen's live feed

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coladin View Post
The harsh reality is should DCDLS win, they will absolutely build that arena and they will get all the non-hockey revenue, which will starve Melnyk into a position that he has to sell. So, yes, I really believe that if DCDLS wins, Melnyk will have to. And he should while he can get a lot of dough for his team.
Why would they get all of the non-hockey revenue? Promoters of monster truck shows, concerts, ice shows, etc. would have two arenas to choose from. I would suspect CTC would still get a lot of the events that have an suburban or rural focus (acts that appeal to pre-teens, country shows, monster trucks shows, the circus) while a downtown arena would get shows aimed at teens, young adults, francophones, etc.

Devcore put the arena in Phase 3 of their proposal (2024-2031) so it doesn't seem like they're too eager to build it.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 5:09 PM

Quote:
I much prefer the vision and appeal of DCDLS or RV, which seems like a highly desirable neighborhood... that won't get me there outside of Sens games.
... which are at least weekly... not to mention the Sensplex.. which will be quite busy almost every night of the week.

Quote:
I think DCDLS will get me there on non-hockey nights.
Of course... Skateboarders aside, I think most of us are looking forward to a weekly visit to the auto museum, but personally I can't see myself doing the aquarium more than twice a month...

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 5:35 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayStar View Post
I think most of us are looking forward to a weekly visit to the auto museum, but personally I can't see myself doing the aquarium more than twice a month...
I can't wait to get my aquarium season's pass! Pays for itself after the 14th visit!

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Why would they build it?
If Melnyk doesn't sell they will either never build it at all or will build it as planned in 3rd phase 20 years from now. Melnyk might as well be dead by then.
They never really wanted it at all and dropped it in the corner of the lot in the last moment.
Building $500M concert stadium with all kinds of uncertainty ahead? What kind of business vision is that?

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 6:03 PM

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 6:57 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

So Rendezvous it is then ... (per twitter)

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac888yow View Post
Sounds like the covering of the LRT was a significant game changer ... (still per twitter)

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 7:02 PM

Wow, I wasn't expecting Rendezvous to win. While their bid was nice, it still amounts to little more than an arena and a lot of condos. The other proposal was a little out there, but it had some cool features.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 7:07 PM
Bulid Up, Not Out

Awesome news. The right choice was finally made by the NCC.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 7:14 PM

How about we ask DCDLS what they would do with the NCC lands on the west side of Bayview and PSPC'S Oak St lands: BOGO!

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac888yow View Post
NCC: Hey, so if you could just make the same as Lansdowne, but bigger, that'd be great.

Rendezvous: Sure thing, boss!

Ottawa: Yawn, sure fine, whatever.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa