HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 6:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repthe250 View Post
The entire country has some of the worst modern architecture in the world, outside of Eastern Europe.
Nah, I don’t buy that, a lot of tacky and ugly comes out of the Middle East, Africa and China, while a lot of bland and soulless comes out of India, Japan, Korea, etc…

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 7:11 AM
Hello World

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post
Stumbled onto some gorgeous photography by Ian Kobylanski of the Vancouver region and suburban skylines here: (https://www.koby.photography/blog/20...lower-mainland)

https://www.koby.photography/blog/20...lower-mainland

https://www.koby.photography/blog/20...lower-mainland
These two photos show me how absolutely dominated we are by single family houses. Just an absolute sea of them while we experience some of the worst housing crisis in Canadian history. Apparently we have no space to build more homes anymore.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 9:22 AM

Did somebody say Waterloo? "Speak of the devil and he doth appear"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-owDp1Whayw "Unlock a lifestyle where comfort meets convenience and community. Discover your new home in Waterloo today!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dyp3OY6sdA "The secret to living a life of purpose and passion hinges on where you decide to live. What's the community vibe? What's nearby? Elevate your living at ACCOMMOD8U."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5xXT8vLIkE "Struggling to find the perfect spot in Waterloo? ACCOMMOD8U offers fully furnished apartments near universities and commercial hubs, designed for convenience and comfort. Secure yours now!"

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 1:43 PM

lol.. it's a tad more forgivable for Waterloo. Ottawa, there's NO excuse. Also, the first Waterloo pic, sorta cute.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 3:19 PM
Community Guy

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdaner View Post
I wonder what is going to happen to Ottawa’s height controls now that Bill 185 will be law next week?!
Absolutely nothing. The Protected view planes are a federal mandate administered by the National Capital Commission, and only affect a small area of a very long developing skyline. The height is coming, just not in those small protected pockets.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 5:05 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
There's truth to this of course, but design isn't just an incentivized quality - it's a culturally ingrained one as well. And in the same way that aesthetics and style are just more deeply ingrained in some cultures than others, so too do some of them have a more advanced design culture.

This affects the entire development & architecture ecosystem, as at all levels - from developer to architect to end buyer - there's a higher taste level, and demand for good design. This subsequently affects market choices, as design is used to sell the product. Poor design becomes a liability to maximizing profit (less demand, so lower prices), so builders avoid building ugly buildings.

We can see how this plays out even just within Canada - the rules, incentives, and economics don't differ drastically from city to city; yet the median level of design quality certainly does.
Maybe; I'd have to give that one some more thought tho I'm sure there's additional detail that's hard to account for. And all of the three categories I mentioned have cultural influences at their core. Anything planners and governments prescribe for design is based on the prevailing cultural beliefs about aesthetics in the field of planning as well as by public consultation. And the various ways that the public officials are influenced including feedback from constituents, their own aesthetic norms, and lobbyist influence. And the willingness of corporations to spend extra on things like flagship headquarters for the sake of their image and branding are based on how such branding is received by the public.

And at the same time, I haven't actually noticed a huge difference in quality across the country beyond the differing incentives. There are obviously differences in individual buildings, but differences in the overall average design standards don't seem that different beyond the differences in size. Government buildings don't seem terribly different in quality in Montreal vs Winnipeg or Hamilton while highrise residential towers seem surprisingly consistent as well. There are highrise residential "commie blocks" in every part of the country and every city large enough for highrises seems to have the ubiquitous blue glass spandrel condo towers that prevailed between 2000-2020. Of course places with more residential towers obviously have more. And such buildings in one part of the country are often interchangeable with those in others. I don't find a commie block or blue-glass tower in Montreal - a city associated with high design standards by many - any more attractive than one in the rest of the country on average.

But there are definitely big differences in incentives such as large cities with prominent downtowns seen and visited by more people offer a greater incentive for branding. And of course with B, there are big differences in the economics between markets. Like, something that is economically feasible in Vancouver due to the much higher real estate prices might not be in say, Halifax. Yeah i dunno.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2024, 3:02 AM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranes View Post
Did somebody say Waterloo? "Speak of the devil and he doth appear"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-owDp1Whayw "Unlock a lifestyle where comfort meets convenience and community. Discover your new home in Waterloo today!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dyp3OY6sdA "The secret to living a life of purpose and passion hinges on where you decide to live. What's the community vibe? What's nearby? Elevate your living at ACCOMMOD8U."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5xXT8vLIkE "Struggling to find the perfect spot in Waterloo? ACCOMMOD8U offers fully furnished apartments near universities and commercial hubs, designed for convenience and comfort. Secure yours now!"

This belongs in the ugly canada thread. The second picture looks out of place though. It actually looks decent. The condos on the right look more like Vancouver or something. The rest gives me anxiety looking at. The zigzag patterns and ugly colours of the student commie blocks is nightmarish.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2024, 5:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Nah, I don’t buy that, a lot of tacky and ugly comes out of the Middle East, Africa and China, while a lot of bland and soulless comes out of India, Japan, Korea, etc…
This is true however, those places have redeeming architectural wonders that balance out the drab and tack. (Maybe not so much Japan, which is odd considering it’s such a highly advanced nation in so many other aspects.)

Canada, not so much.

Hell, I’d take a tacky building every now and them to spice things up, especially in Vancouver.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2024, 2:58 PM

Kelowna, B.C. it’s not much but it’s getting there!

Old Posted Jun 7, 2024, 4:06 PM

Ominus thunder clouds gather over The One (metaphorically and actually ;-). For sale at a discount price of $1.2 Billion.

j_yyz

Old Posted Jun 7, 2024, 5:23 PM

Old Posted Jun 8, 2024, 3:55 AM

Great shots

Last edited by LFC; Jun 8, 2024 at 5:01 AM.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2024, 2:20 PM
DesignerGuy

I travel quite a bit and have been to large Asian cities. It seems to me that Toronto and Canadian cities in general are really bulking up at transit stations with clusters of towers far from the core. This is what you see when you fly over Shanghai or more recently when I visited Istanbul. I really don't see this in US cities at all, except for maybe L.A and NY (think Brooklyn). They are more cluster of towers downtown followed by low rise for kilometres out side the downtown areas. Interesting to see Canada go a different direction on urbanism than the U.S.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2024, 4:56 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
I always pictured the stadium much further from Parliament Hill than it is.
I love ariel shots.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2024, 7:50 PM

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Jun 9, 2024, 11:01 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

I’ve been waiting for a Winny skyline shot from this famous angle with the new tallest - thanks.
Things are filling in on the left side there too.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2024, 3:56 PM
Fake News

Giant arachnid space invader on the news this morning:

Last edited by O-tacular; Jun 11, 2024 at 2:17 AM.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2024, 3:59 PM
Fake News

A rarely seen angle I took as a passenger from Deerfoot:

Old Posted Jun 10, 2024, 11:18 PM
Midtowner since 2K

Beautiful images O-tac

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada