HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 17, 2006, 11:56 AM

Except for that "Big Ben" skyscraper, i'm impressed with the quality of the architecture of many of the skyscrapers in Dubai versus, oh say, Shanghai. I like Infinity (yes it's a turning torso rip-off but tastefully ripped off).

Old Posted Feb 17, 2006, 3:15 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

I'm going to take that Dos Architects alien type tower out of the list since it's definitely a proposal but not one that'll seriously get built, more of a concept type thingy. I think the same applies to those liquid metal type towers. It's a pity though because the one for the marina especially looks great.

Still no render for the 4 seasons hotel which is supposed to be 320m and apparently the building will have no spire. No other news though.

Here's another relatively new building for SZR that doesn't quite make the list. It's about 250m to roof and 290m to spire. Right now there are 4 unknown towers on SZR under construction so this could very well be one of them.
Quite an interesting design I'd say. A change from all the usual glassy stuff. I like the sort of exposed structure in its design:

Old Posted Feb 18, 2006, 1:43 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Just when I thought I could take one of the towers off I find this:

It's from feb 13th so very recent:

Old Posted Feb 18, 2006, 3:57 PM
Baryonic Lord

ugh

Old Posted Feb 18, 2006, 6:34 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

And another render. It looks better white like this but still a very very weird building:

Old Posted Feb 24, 2006, 8:46 AM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

I don't know if you've seen this already but here's Vision Tower that'll be built in business bay. We don't know what the height is but from the model seems to be about 60F but there's news of this being 65F aswell. It won't break 300m but will still be around 270m. The only reason I'm posting it here is because it's such a fantastic design. Simple yet so beautiful:

Old Posted Feb 24, 2006, 9:11 AM

It looks like a taller version of AIG in HK.
I wouldn't be surprised if this design was also by SOM.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2006, 5:14 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

I like it! In a city that tends to get more over the top designs, this one is gracefully subdued, without being just another boring box. I too wouldn't be surprised if SOM is the architect.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Feb 26, 2006, 1:22 AM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

New supertall in the marina. By the looks of the render the spire is probably not completely designed yet but this tower is at least 85 floors and definitely over 300m high. It could even be a candidate for the world's tallest res IMO

Also a 71F tower on SZR is under construction but no render or height yet. Will post it as a possibility of 300m.

Aswell there's news that the Sheikh Hasher could actually reach 300m due to developer's ego

Old Posted Feb 26, 2006, 1:35 AM

Dubai is going crazy. What is driving all this construction, the population of the UAE is not that large and the cities are not hurting for land. Is it the Sheik's that are driving this boom? I absolutely find Dubai amazing, they are trying to build a HK/CHI/NYC combo in the next decade or so.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2006, 1:43 AM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

There are loads of reasons for the boom in general but I won't go into it. The reasons for all the 1000fters I think is because

a) developers want to make the most money from a plot they bought

b) ego

c) Certain areas of Dubai and certain plots in projects such as the marina, business bay, etc. have no height restrictions

Old Posted Feb 26, 2006, 2:45 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

What part of the Marina will that Damac tower be located?
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Feb 26, 2006, 4:27 AM
Master of My Domain

Here's my question: What type of earth lies beneath Dubai? I mean, obviously sand is the surface substance but what's beneath? How far down is it? How deep must these foundations go to adequately support such large structures?

Old Posted Feb 26, 2006, 11:08 AM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

I have no idea. The best thing would be to ask SA Boy over on SSC because he works in the construction industry in Dubai

Old Posted Feb 27, 2006, 8:15 PM

Looks like in ten years, all the good Scifi films will shoot exteriors in Dubai!

Old Posted Mar 9, 2006, 1:50 AM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Some serious shit!!
The burj al alam (another name to remember) will be 101F and be built in business bay. A fantastic tower I must say. It's very Dubaish but at the same time still graceful and elegant.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2006, 10:22 PM
Honored Member

located near water , where is this tower planned exactly?
looked at the video but can not imagine where...

Old Posted Mar 9, 2006, 10:59 PM

Awesome tower! I love the crown!

Old Posted Mar 10, 2006, 1:13 AM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

It's in business bay.
It's a development next to the burj dubai complex that'll consist of loads of towers, mostly around 30 stories but still a good few will be higher, ie: between 40 and 60 floors high or so. Then there were a few plots sold with unlimited height so expect a few tallies (this is one of them of course )

Some or the more interesting towers released so far:

Vision tower:

One business bay

The Bay Gate

Park Lane Tower

Last edited by malec; Mar 10, 2006 at 10:43 AM.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2006, 11:29 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Finally a render for the 4 seasons hotel. It's very small and shitty but will do . Not even sure if this is the tower. It's on their website. We should have a better one soon though:

There are also some renders released today of Maritime city. Don't know why they need so much office space though, a few towers seems enough to me. Anyway there will be a signature tower there, don't know how tall it is though but looks pretty tall.

Aswell a few days ago there was another proposal found floating around the place. It's of another rediculously tall resi tower for the marina that apparently Damac will build. There was that other tall Damac tower found a few weeks ago and I'd say they will be the same. I doubt this company can build 2 of these. It'll be either / or. This one's 106F high btw

That reminded me of what recently happened. The other damac tower (the one in post 129) was found because it was on some signboard and someone took photos. Naturally since there was no info given the guys over at SSC emailed Damac asking about it. They kept on denying it saying "you're confusing it with ocean heights". After pestering them enough they gave in and said they have another tower planned for the marina but that's it! 2 days later all the pictures of this tower had been replaced by ones of ocean heights. It seems they don't want anyone to know

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations