HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Jan 30, 2024, 5:40 PM

The marketing people at the airport need to get out of the "you won't believe it" mindset.

Their linkedin post for the United/Denver upgrade starts with "it's no joke". C'mon people, don't feed the narrative that getting any upgrades at YEG is some miracle. Treat it as a win, full stop.

Or perhaps maybe start off with "the rumours are true". Nice and neutral. It doesn't take a marketing degree to understand the power of words.

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/edmon...member_desktop

Old Posted Jan 30, 2024, 5:55 PM
Derp

I think that has more to do with it being effective April 1st than Edmontonians not believing that they'd get an upgraded aircraft to Denver

Old Posted Jan 30, 2024, 10:04 PM

I thought it starts on March 31st but I guess that morning flight on the 31st is still a Skywest E-175 but both flights from DEN-YEG that day will be on he A320 along with the afternoon YEG-DEN flight.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2024, 4:21 PM
Urbis Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcaliburKid View Post
I think that has more to do with it being effective April 1st than Edmontonians not believing that they'd get an upgraded aircraft to Denver
Correct! I got it.

Murman, you need a wine....I'll buy next time you're in town

Old Posted Feb 4, 2024, 11:47 PM

YEG-YYT/YQM are both starting a month early next summer (May instead of June)

Old Posted Feb 5, 2024, 3:26 AM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMD UW View Post
Correct! I got it.

Murman, you need a wine....I'll buy next time you're in town

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Feb 5, 2024, 6:16 AM

Well it looks like my family will get to fly Swoop after all lol. It looks like Tuesday's aircraft to Cancun is a 7S8 which is a Swoop aircraft based on this website https://www.westjettravelagents.com/...0code%3A%207S8.

I actually didn't realize that Swoop offered inflight entertainment and power ports. Is it safe to assume that only the seat pitch is substandard? Seatguru lists the seat pitch at 29-36". I'm assuming a few of those "Front Extra Legroom" seats are 36" while the rest of the plane is 29"? Gross. The 738 seems to have a seat pitch between 31-33".

Old Posted Feb 5, 2024, 2:33 PM
Community Guy

How is this '10-30mil' for upfront capital costs?

This luxury bus is $1.5-2mil which even if you had 4 would be 10mil, which would permit 30minute intervals.

https://prevostcar.com/h3-45-passenger-coach

What else would you require?

----
The Edmonton International Airport and the Edmonton Downtown Business Association support creating a direct bus link between the region’s international airport and downtown Edmonton, according to a report due at a Feb. 6 urban planning committee meeting. Edmonton’s council requested administration to explore cost-sharing options, as it declined to fund the service during its budget deliberations in December 2022. No organizations have formally committed to a cost-sharing model. The report said the proposed service would cost between $2.5 million and $3.5 million, depending on frequency, with an upfront capital cost of between $10 million and $30 million. The city said council would need to approve funding for the route as there is no money for it in the budget. Route 747 currently runs between Century Park Transit Centre and YEG. The proposed new service would supplement the 747 route, the city said. The new route could attract more conference goers and boost the economic potential of the airport and downtown. A route could also support those who live and work near the airport, as the majority of 747 bus passengers are “regular riders” who likely work at YEG or the Premium Outlet Collection Edmonton International Airport, the city said.
-Taproot

Old Posted Feb 5, 2024, 3:25 PM

^ Of course YEG and DBA would support such an initiative but there is this little issue of who is paying for it?

How about using a portion of the AIF that YEG collects every year?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2024, 3:26 PM
Change is good

Isn't the city scrambling to cut 250$ Million from its budget? This seems like a bad time to ask for this.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2024, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket252 View Post
^ Of course YEG and DBA would support such an initiative but there is this little issue of who is paying for it?

How about using a portion of the AIF that YEG collects every year?
AIF is being used for capital projects and past debt. It represents about 42% of revenue at the airport (2019 was 98 Million).
The airport runs just over 200 Million in expenses annually
-Operating ($121 Million)
-Service/Maintenance ($48 Million)
-Salaries ($35 Million)
-Interest (40M)

Realistically there isn't room for a massive new capital project that isn't part of the scope, interest fees in 2023/23 are going to be shooting up. I didn't put up the Covid numbers because of how much debt was added to the airport. Interest will be a massive number going forward for Canadian airports.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2024, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcaliburKid View Post
Ah, well that shows I was too reactionary to the media post. I didn't make connection with the April 1st date. I withdraw my previous rant. Sorry, YEG media folk!

Old Posted Feb 6, 2024, 6:18 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Feb 15, 2024, 1:09 AM

1. The family flew down to Tulum for a week. The baggage wait at Cancun was horrendous. On the return I couldn't believe the prices at the airport for almost anything. I never thought I'd say that buying on board WestJet (or any other airline) was much cheaper than at the airport. And no free wifi at the airport plus call to gate. Tuffyy what are you guys doing down there? Cancun airport has gone to shit.

2. WestJet Connect didn't work on the return. The flight attendant said they can only "reset" the system once while on the ground. I was told any more times and more damage could be done to the system. Makes no sense to me. Will WestJet ever bring back in seat entertainment? I had read somewhere that an update to WestJet connect was "in the works".

3. My wife's flight in June to Kelowna got upgauged to a 737. All 3x daily flights show as 737's instead of Q400's. Are there ANY Q400 pilots left? Any reason why WS might slowly be using the pilot shortage to eliminate the Q400 from the fleet? It would be interesting to know what the split was between the jet and props a couple of years ago versus the plan for this summer.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2024, 4:44 AM
Scam Artist

Ideally WS would have enough pilots to fly at Encore; having to cover Encore flying with mainline limits growth especially as MAX deliveries get more and more delayed.

At the moment, Encore is operating 10+ tails fewer than they'd like to be operating.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2024, 11:44 PM

Flair and Lynx merging? Any truth to this rumor?

Old Posted Feb 15, 2024, 11:53 PM
early dogecoin investor

From my understanding, being closely tied to the airline industry is that there are advanced talks underway.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2024, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket252 View Post
Flair and Lynx merging? Any truth to this rumor?
Nothing official, but something has to give.
https://princeoftravel.com/news/flai...nx-air-merger/

Its assumed both of them are losing boat loads of money.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2024, 11:05 PM

Old Posted Feb 16, 2024, 11:26 PM
Community Guy

From the plan

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton