HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

View Poll Results: Which city will reach 1 million first?
Winnipeg 89 76.72%
Québec 27 23.28%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 5:55 PM

It's obviously Winnipeg.

The Peg gets a lot of immigration especially from the Philippines which more than makes up for the people who leave. Quebec City gets relatively little in terms of immigration and, unlike Toronto & Vancouver where people are fleeing to more affordable localities {ie London, Kingston}, there is little outflow from Montreal because Montreal is still quite affordable.

The reality is that neither are ever going to be fast growing cities relative to other national cities because they have too many things going against them. Quebec city requires fluency in French, has to compete with Montreal, and the snow it gets is on another level. Winnipeg suffers from science fiction cold, mosquitos beyond belief, high complete geographical isolation, and a very high crime rate. Due to these reasons, there are simply better options.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
It's obviously Winnipeg.

The Peg gets a lot of immigration especially from the Philippines which more than makes up for the people who leave. Quebec City gets relatively little in terms of immigration and, unlike Toronto & Vancouver where people are fleeing to more affordable localities {ie London, Kingston}, there is little outflow from Montreal because Montreal is still quite affordable.

The reality is that neither are ever going to be fast growing cities relative to other national cities because they have too many things going against them. Quebec city requires fluency in French, has to compete with Montreal, and the snow it gets is on another level. Winnipeg suffers from science fiction cold, mosquitos beyond belief, high complete geographical isolation, and a very high crime rate. Due to these reasons, there are simply better options.
I always love when people think is sooooo cold here. It gets just as cold in Edmonton and Calgary. Sure they get some warm weather in the winter. But they also don't get our scorching hot summer like we do in Winnipeg.
Also the crime is more of a localized thing. And Regina has a way higher crime rate. Also Edmonton has a high crime rate. Thing here is we have a very large aborit population, 80,000 to be more precise. Basically 1/8th of the cities population is people coming off the reservation. And reservations in Manitoba and Sask are nothing like the east has or west. They for the most part are gang run reservations. So we get alot of people fleeing the reservation life and when they get here they usually get trapped into more aboriginal gangs. It's a no win scenario. 70% or more incarcerated folks here are aboriginal. It's a sad case to be honest. Either way look at violent crime and petty crime. We have alot of petty crime due to the meth epidemic that every city suffers from.

Winnipeg also has some of the cheapest housing in Canada. Which is a big draw to many.

Had we gone back 20 years I'd say Winnipeg was becoming the next Detroit. But it's turned around in a big way.

You also have to deal with all the CryPeggers here. As they are just never happy lol.

Quebec City now. Is a beautiful historic city. Probably the most beautiful city in Canada.. I'd hate to see it get to a million . As it will lose its old world charm. I'll never knock QC. However I'll knock Montreal as I've never been to a city with so many people with such a stuck up snobbish attitude lol.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2023, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
I always love when people think is sooooo cold here. It gets just as cold in Edmonton and Calgary. Sure they get some warm weather in the winter. But they also don't get our scorching hot summer like we do in Winnipeg.
Also the crime is more of a localized thing. And Regina has a way higher crime rate. Also Edmonton has a high crime rate. Thing here is we have a very large aborit population, 80,000 to be more precise. Basically 1/8th of the cities population is people coming off the reservation. And reservations in Manitoba and Sask are nothing like the east has or west. They for the most part are gang run reservations. So we get alot of people fleeing the reservation life and when they get here they usually get trapped into more aboriginal gangs. It's a no win scenario. 70% or more incarcerated folks here are aboriginal. It's a sad case to be honest. Either way look at violent crime and petty crime. We have alot of petty crime due to the meth epidemic that every city suffers from.

Winnipeg also has some of the cheapest housing in Canada. Which is a big draw to many.

Had we gone back 20 years I'd say Winnipeg was becoming the next Detroit. But it's turned around in a big way.

You also have to deal with all the CryPeggers here. As they are just never happy lol.

Quebec City now. Is a beautiful historic city. Probably the most beautiful city in Canada.. I'd hate to see it get to a million . As it will lose its old world charm. I'll never knock QC. However I'll knock Montreal as I've never been to a city with so many people with such a stuck up snobbish attitude lol.
I take it you've not spent much time in Quebec City's suburbs. It's not like 150,000 additional people are going to move inside the walls.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2023, 1:32 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I take it you've not spent much time in Quebec City's suburbs. It's not like 150,000 additional people are going to move inside the walls.
The dichotomy between the suburban areas of QC and Vieux-Québec is extremely interesting, especially as you progress eastwards along the Grande Allee. It's like you're progressing through rings of history, with the piece de resistance being when you drive through the Port St-Louis into the old town proper.

The entire character, ambience and natural environment of the Quebec City area, including Montmorency Falls, Ile d'Orleans, the Citadel, the Plains of Abraham are unmatched anywhere else in the country. The city is fantastic.

Having said all this, I remain convinced that however dull, flat, and mosquito ridden Winnipeg is, it will still be the next city in the country to break the one million barrier. The reasons for this are economic and linguistic, not physiographic and cultural. Quebec City may have all the attributes and accolades, but Winnipeg makes a better business case.............

Old Posted Jun 10, 2023, 5:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Having said all this, I remain convinced that however dull, flat, and mosquito ridden Winnipeg is, it will still be the next city in the country to break the one million barrier. The reasons for this are economic and linguistic, not physiographic and cultural. Quebec City may have all the attributes and accolades, but Winnipeg makes a better business case.............
Tell us how you really feel…

Old Posted Jun 10, 2023, 8:59 AM

Saskatoon is going to fool you all and win it at the post!

Old Posted Jun 10, 2023, 1:06 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
Tell us how you really feel…
Hey, at least I can speak my truth honestly.

Moncton is considered flat, uninspiring and bland by many people in the Maritimes too (mostly Haligonians).

It doesn't matter. I love my city, and, the scorn of Haligonians has not prevented Moncton from being (currently) the fastest growing CMA in the country (annual growth rate >5%).

It's all location, location, location.

There are actually many similarities between Winnipeg and Moncton.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2023, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Hey, at least I can speak my truth honestly.

Moncton is considered flat, uninspiring and bland by many people in the Maritimes too (mostly Haligonians).

It doesn't matter. I love my city, and, the scorn of Haligonians has not prevented Moncton from being (currently) the fastest growing CMA in the country (annual growth rate >5%).

It's all location, location, location.

There are actually many similarities between Winnipeg and Moncton.
You're out of pocket for comparing Winnipeg to Moncton.

- Three beautiful urban rivers compared to one hideous chocolate river.
- Winnipeg's urban bones are some of the best in the country. The Exchange district vs. the vast sea of parking lots in Moncton.

I could keep going. Seriously though MonctonRad, I love your posts, but this is absurd.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2023, 6:30 PM
Volatile Pacivist

I've seen plenty of pictures where Winnipeg's rivers looked kinda brown and murky too. It's probably most pronounced when flooding, but seems like an odd thing to brag about. "Our brown murky river isn't quite as brown and murky as yours!" We're not comparing a brown river to a crystal clear glacial streams here. And parking?? Perhaps it's made progress on that front but it's far from Winnipeg's strong suit. That's something one might mention if comparing to Ottawa or QC up but Winnipeg? Obviously Winnipeg has things Moncton lacks considering the size difference, but those are probably the worst possible examples.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2023, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
I've seen plenty of pictures where Winnipeg's rivers looked kinda brown and murky too. It's probably most pronounced when flooding, but seems like an odd thing to brag about. "Our brown murky river isn't quite as brown and murky as yours!" We're not comparing a brown river to a crystal clear glacial streams here. And parking?? Perhaps it's made progress on that front but it's far from Winnipeg's strong suit. That's something one might mention if comparing to Ottawa or QC up but Winnipeg? Obviously Winnipeg has things Moncton lacks considering the size difference, but those are probably the worst possible examples.

Let the people decide. Moncton is objectively an absolutely hideous city.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2023, 7:52 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

How do these threads always end up like this

Old Posted Jun 10, 2023, 7:56 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Those Moncton pictures are old. The downtown lots are beginning to disappear with new highrise construction.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2023, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Those Moncton pictures are old. The downtown lots are beginning to disappear with new highrise construction.
The 3 sisters? Gotta start somewhere I guess, but that project is nothing more than a peg on the cribbage board.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2023, 8:09 PM

Congrats to Winnipeg on being ahead of Moncton when it started out as Quebec City lol

Old Posted Jun 10, 2023, 8:13 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewIreland View Post
The 3 sisters? Gotta start somewhere I guess, but that project is nothing more than a peg on the cribbage board.
True, but the Ashford/Downing Street project will apparently be 20 storeys, and that will eat up the Assumption Place lot. Lafford is planning a "fourth sister" at 1 Foundry Street which will be 20 storeys, and there are two other 20 storey buildings coming to downtown too.

The psychological barrier over building big in the core has been broken, and city hall is eager to see the surface lots built upon and increased downtown densification. There will be more changes in the future.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2023, 8:15 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
Congrats to Winnipeg on being ahead of Moncton when it started out as Quebec City lol
When I made my Moncton/Winnipeg comparison, I was simply pointing out there are physiographic and economic similarities between the two cities. Moncton is an outlier in Atlantic Canada, being a riverine city, not tied to the ocean, and it's economy is tied to transportation and distribution, thanks to the railway. Moncton is more similar to a prairie city than it's Maritime counterparts.

I wasn't trying to get into a pissing match. Winnipeg is 5x larger than Moncton and obviously has many advantages because of that.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2023, 8:25 PM

Quote:
When I made my Moncton/Winnipeg comparison, I was simply pointing out there are physiographic and economic similarities between the two cities. Moncton is an outlier in Atlantic Canada, being a riverine city, not tied to the ocean, and it's economy is tied to transportation and distribution, thanks to the railway. Moncton is more similar to a prairie city than it's Maritime counterparts.

I wasn't trying to get into a pissing match. Winnipeg is 5x larger than Moncton and obviously has many advantages because of that.
I get what you were saying, I just think it's funny a Winnipegger got offended that someone from Moncton would dare say QC is nicer (when I think most would say so) and proceeded to run down Moncton in defense.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2023, 8:44 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewIreland View Post

Let the people decide. Moncton is objectively an absolutely hideous city.
Nobody said Winnipeg was the same as Moncton in those respects, just that it's in no position to brag or be indignant toward the comparison. And it isn't. Selectively posting complimentary pictures of one and unflattering pictures of the other doesn't change that.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2023, 1:53 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
Video Link

Old Posted Jun 11, 2023, 3:09 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada