HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 11, 2020, 3:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by yveseluj View Post
This is really the new political spectrum across the world. Given increasing urbanization everywhere, I know which side I'd rather be on.
You mean the side of getting along with people who don’t look like you? You know, the “SJWs” who just want white men to tolerate women, gays, blacks, indigenous and POC, and provide them with the same privileges that us white men have had for hundreds of years? The horror!

Old Posted Nov 12, 2020, 8:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
You mean the side of getting along with people who don’t look like you? You know, the “SJWs” who just want white men to tolerate women, gays, blacks, indigenous and POC, and provide them with the same privileges that us white men have had for hundreds of years? The horror!
So only urban white men tolerate women, gays, blacks, indigenous and POC, and provide them with the same opportunities as more privileged folks?

Nice blanket statement.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2020, 12:47 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
So only urban white men tolerate women, gays, blacks, indigenous and POC, and provide them with the same opportunities as more privileged folks?

Nice blanket statement.
That is not what I said. Anyone can be intolerant but in my experience, the more rural, white and male someone is, the more likely they are intolerant of others that aren’t like them. Come on, I shouldn’t have to explain this to you.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2020, 1:25 PM

Quote:
That is not what I said. Anyone can be intolerant but in my experience, the more rural, white and male someone is, the more likely they are intolerant of others that aren’t like them. Come on, I shouldn’t have to explain this to you.
That is exactly what you said and its how your would be interpreted by many who live outside the urban core. Same as the "educated - non-educated" baloney. People who didn't go to university know exactly what the the pundits, commentators, and opinion columnists mean when they say "educated", its dog whistle for "you're stupid and a racist and it'd better for all of us if you shut the fuck up and do what we tell you to do."

And I just love all the limousine Liberals in our urban landscape who preach tolerance all day long as long as its somewhere else. But when it actually affects their pocketbook or residential ambiance its amazing the subtle roadblocks the quietly appear. Hypocritical Jackasses the lot of them

Old Posted Nov 12, 2020, 1:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
That is exactly what you said and its how your would be interpreted by many who live outside the urban core. Same as the "educated - non-educated" baloney. People who didn't go to university know exactly what the the pundits, commentators, and opinion columnists mean when they say "educated", its dog whistle for "you're stupid and a racist and it'd better for all of us if you shut the fuck up and do what we tell you to do."

And I just love all the limousine Liberals in our urban landscape who preach tolerance all day long as long as its somewhere else. But when it actually affects their pocketbook or residential ambiance its amazing the subtle roadblocks the quietly appear. Hypocritical Jackasses the lot of them
Gross, please don’t call me a liberal or a Liberal. I am neither.

Anyways, you don’t need to be educated to learn to be empathetic to others that aren’t like you, but it certainly helps. I was on my way to being a racist and homophobic white man like my father but university and working in the IT industry helped me see others as humans like me. I don’t think education would help my sister’s bf become less of a racist asshole, but I bet if he grew up in the city and had gone to school, he probably would be a little more tolerant and less likely to think sharing jokes about immigrants who don’t know how to take care of their lawn or laughing at drunk indigenous women wandering the streets of PA, is normal conversation at a party. I won’t even mention my experience with the idiots I knew in Warman before I escaped that vanilla hell-hole.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2020, 2:18 PM
BANNED

Should we also discuss the divide between those who wear masks and those that think they are BS? Where do you think those lines are drawn?

Old Posted Nov 12, 2020, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Should we also discuss the divide between those who wear masks and those that think they are BS? Where do you think those lines are drawn?
Have you seen the pictures of the anti mask protesters in our major cities? Are they all from rural Canada?

The most anti Semitic intolerance I ever heard was from a group of U of Toronto and Queens grads. Racist assholes are everywhere and having an university education is no guarantee of enlightenment.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2020, 2:50 PM

Toxic masculinity definitely seems to play a role in views on masking, based on research (men are the most likely group to reject masks, the main surveyed reason that it was "feminine" or "weak" to wear them), rural or urban issues aside.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2020, 2:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Have you seen the pictures of the anti mask protesters in our major cities? Are they all from rural Canada?

The most anti Semitic intolerance I ever heard was from a group of U of Toronto and Queens grads. Racist assholes are everywhere and having an university education is no guarantee of enlightenment.
I agree. But it certainly helps your odds. For me, it wasn’t the education itself but just being around different people and experiencing viewpoints you wouldn’t hear in your personal bubble.

I won’t comment on the anti-senitism because I would need more details but as for the anti-mask protesters, I guarantee 98% of them never took a biology class in their life. The pictures I’ve seen coming out of Ontario showed groups of mennonites protesting against masks. I don’t these people are your typical urban dweller.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2020, 2:55 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festivus View Post
Toxic masculinity definitely seems to play a role in views on masking, based on research (men are the most likely group to reject masks, the main surveyed reason that it was "feminine" or "weak" to wear them), rural or urban issues aside.
So stupid. Sometimes I’m embarrassed to be a man. The amount of times my father comments on “fags with man buns” makes me think he has some latent homosexual feelings deep down. I don’t see him much but I’m fairly confident he’s an anti-masker as well.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2020, 5:31 PM

Quote:
I agree. But it certainly helps your odds. For me, it wasn’t the education itself but just being around different people and experiencing viewpoints you wouldn’t hear in your personal bubble.

I won’t comment on the anti-senitism because I would need more details but as for the anti-mask protesters, I guarantee 98% of them never took a biology class in their life. The pictures I’ve seen coming out of Ontario showed groups of mennonites protesting against masks. I don’t these people are your typical urban dweller.
The Mennonites were in a town north of Toronto. There were also from a church whose pastor is extreme even to the Mennonite faith. I was talking about protests in downtown Toronto and Vancouver, those folks certainly weren't rural people.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2020, 6:24 PM
BANNED

Quote:
The Mennonites were in a town north of Toronto. There were also from a church whose pastor is extreme even to the Mennonite faith. I was talking about protests in downtown Toronto and Vancouver, those folks certainly weren't rural people.
Yup, there are uneducated and selfish idiots in cities too. They are just more concentrated in rural areas.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2020, 2:07 AM

Wait, so we're now arguing about the obvious and uncontroversial fact that rural and less-educated people are less tolerant than urban educated. Ok then.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2020, 3:39 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 View Post
Wait, so we're now arguing about the obvious and uncontroversial fact that rural and less-educated people are less tolerant than urban educated. Ok then.
Lol, I know right?

Old Posted Nov 13, 2020, 5:38 AM

Quote:
A quick google search. Not discounting that people who don't get to go to post secondary are intolerant. Just that our urban institutions are no shining light of tolerant unicorns and rainbows either.

Canadian university students use Instagram to reveal ...
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/canad...sm-instagram-1...
Kelly Weiling Zou, left, Cassandra Pascal, centre, and Meena Waseem created Instagram accounts to allow students and alumni at two Canadian universities to detail incidents of racism and abuse that...

We all lose from anti-Black racism on Canadian university ...
https://werepstem.com/2020/09/23/we-...lack-racism-on...
The problem of anti-Black racism on campus is certainly not limited to Queen’s University. But as Desmond Cole’s work shows, on elite Canadian university campuses even the best, brightest and most gifted Black Canadian students are subject to discriminatory treatment, which can change the trajectory of their lives, or stop it altogether. Canadian politeness and middle-class respectability cannot save …

How anti-Black racism on Canadian university campuses robs ...
https://theconversation.com/how-anti...sm-on-canadian...
The problem of anti-Black racism on campus is certainly not limited to Queen’s University. But as Desmond Cole’s work shows, on elite Canadian university campuses even the best, brightest and most...

How anti-Black racism on Canadian university campuses robs ...
https://academicmatters.ca/how-anti-...sm-on-canadian...
The problem of anti-Black racism on campus is certainly not limited to Queen’s University. But as Desmond Cole’s work shows, on elite Canadian university campuses even the best, brightest and most gifted Black Canadian students are subject to discriminatory treatment, which can change the trajectory of their lives, or stop it altogether. Canadian politeness and middle-class respectability cannot save …

Systemic Racism Plagues University of Calgary - New ...
https://newcanadianmedia.ca/systemic...ity-of-calgary
The University of Calgary has admitted to being a systemically racist institution against Blacks, Indigenous people and other people of colour. The revelation by its executive team has hardly received any attention. The shocking admission was made on June 24, which coincidentally is when John Cabot landed in Newfoundland in 1497.

Teaching "Anti-Racism" Becomes "Core Mission" of The ...
https://www.eurocanadian.ca/2020/10/...m-becomes-core...
Everyone in the university was clearly made to feel that the very claim that there was no systemic racism was itself a demonstration of systemic racism. One would think that if Western was the victim of "systemic racism" this Anti-Racist Working Group would have experienced great difficulties getting so many student groups, university associations, administrators, and academics on board with this …

Canadian University College - Discover Your Potential at UCW
https://web.ucanwest.ca/study in ucw/canada
AdGain the Skills with Flexible Options; Study on Campus, Online, or a Combination of Both. Join a University with a Digital Vision in Vancouver; Discover your Future With US.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2020, 1:49 PM

People are racist everywhere, but it's a well-studied and well-known fact that the larger the population centre, the less racist people are. The primary explanation is that people are exposed to more diversity and so fear it less.

Regina will have more diversity (and acceptance) than Yorkton, Winnipeg more than Regina, Vancouver more than Winnipeg, and Toronto more than Vancouver, etc. This presupposes that there is increased diversity in the larger cities (which holds true in Canada).

This is not a controversial statement. In the grand scheme of things, Regina is quite a racist place, but less so than smaller towns, and more so than larger cities.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2020, 6:18 PM

Quote:
One must always add terms like 'in general", otherwise you are sure to offend our woke rural folks and our Nazi city dwellers.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2020, 6:41 PM
BANNED

Quote:
You sure have a weird obsession with proving education doesn’t make one less racist. All you have done though with your time is prove that racism exists everywhere, in which no one has disagreed with you on.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2020, 4:55 AM

Quote:
You sure have a weird obsession with proving education doesn’t make one less racist. All you have done though with your time is prove that racism exists everywhere, in which no one has disagreed with you on.
Just annoyed at drive by blanket statement smears.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2020, 3:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Just annoyed at drive by blanket statement smears.
There’s no smearing going on. You seem to be the only one offended by something so obviously true.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan