HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

View Poll Results: Who are you voting for?
Brian Bowman 57 95.00%
Jenny Motkaluk 3 5.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 4:14 AM
BANNED

Jenny Motkaluk looks like a female Jeff Browaty, and as he isn't a pretty man so this isn't a compliment for Jenny!

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morty View Post
Garth Steek is the reason Grant is 50 instead of 60 in front of Grant Park Mall. Simply because of that, I've been encouraging people to vote for either other option.

Source here: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...vers-1.3911876

Orlikow supports the status quo on the speed limit, but Steek actively blocked a pilot project to raise the limit in 2003.

I'm the first person to advocate for lower speed limits in residential areas, but that stretch of Grant drives me crazy.
I could never understand why that street drops to 50. Now I guess it's up to either Orlikow or Lenko.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 2:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
I could never understand why that street drops to 50. Now I guess it's up to either Orlikow or Lenko.
That is one of the most unnaturally low speed limits in town... broad boulevard with service roads and it's 50? C'mon man. Between the red light cam at Wilton and the perma-photo radar near Grant Park High School, it's a speed trap through and through.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
Orlikow is known for his progressive views. I would encourage you to visit his website so you can make an informed decision. Lenko would be very much the conservative candidate along with Steek, so they will likely eat into each other's votes.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 6:43 PM

https://twitter.com/bkives/status/1048278446437277696

Now Jenny is complaining about being called out while Bowman was campaigning at Nuit Blanche. Welcome to politics. The election is 2 weeks away.

Nobodies complaining about you spending time with your daughter. There was a large event being held downtown, where your competitor was campaigning, which was perfect for you to get out there and meet the people. Now she's trying to put the sexism spin on it. Cooome onnnnn.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2018, 10:01 PM

A newcomers organization rescheduled their debate so both Bowman and Motkaluk could make it. Sounds like Jenny initially said yes, then pulled out – probably just lost a big chunk of newcomers, if she had many to begin with.

Maybe she didn't want to go because she didn't like that they were encouraging candidates to say nice things about each other, lol.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...495376291.html

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 4:01 PM

Talking about politics this weekend with the family. One thing that should not be lost here is that Jenny M is married to one of the owners of Bayview Construction. They are one of the top road builders locally.

Hence why we're seeing things like "pave those roads" and "build that bridge" and " change to quality based tendering". She's looking to align the City so her company can reap more cash. They also get a ton of hourly work from the City for equipment.

Has anyone questioned her on this topic and how she will ensure a fair process?

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 5:49 PM

She would have to recuse herself from any decisions regarding her husband's company.

Not that it matters, since she is not going to win.

Apparently it's her brother, not husband, that works for Bayview. But the question remains the same. And she hasn't responded.

Machiraju calls for Motkaluk to withdraw
Mayoral candidate Venkat Machiraju issued a press release Wednesday, alleging Motkaluk has a "[severe] conflict of interest" and demanding she withdraw from the mayoral race.

In the statement, Machiraju claims Motkaluk cannot be mayor because one of her brothers is a director of Bayview Construction, a firm that was awarded $19.1 million worth of road-construction contracts from the City of Winnipeg.

In the statement, Machiraju misspelled Motkaluk's name in three different ways and calls her brother John by a different name, Joel.

Motkaluk said she is not withdrawing.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...tion-1.4849052

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 6:13 PM

makes this campaign pledge all the more interesting:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...lity-1.4828396

Basically saying the city shouldn't choose cheapest bids but based on quality.

Although I think she did respond to the issue with her brother. I definitely remember reading about her brothers involvement with construction industry at some point a few weeks back.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 7:45 PM

Her husband is a failed Canadian Alliance candidate.

One of her campaign advisers is Michael Diamond, the same guy that ran Ford and Leitch's campaigns. That alone should be reason no only not to vote for her, but to convince everyone you know not to vote for her as well.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 7:51 PM

^ If so, he is nothing if not consistent in his approach, which is to get as ugly and nasty and divisive as possible.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Talking about politics this weekend with the family. One thing that should not be lost here is that Jenny M is married to one of the owners of Bayview Construction. They are one of the top road builders locally.

Hence why we're seeing things like "pave those roads" and "build that bridge" and " change to quality based tendering". She's looking to align the City so her company can reap more cash. They also get a ton of hourly work from the City for equipment.
Her brother, not husband. And those are some pretty serious accusations - do you have proof, or is this just speculation on your part?

As far as I know, QBS is related to the procurement of professional design services, not contractor services. How would QBS specifically benefit Bayview?

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
Not that it matters, since she is not going to win.
Oh? So who is going to win then?

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 1:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
Her brother, not husband. And those are some pretty serious accusations - do you have proof, or is this just speculation on your part?
How did things go the last time we had a mayor who had a number of close personal ties to the construction industry but we were told not to worry about it?

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjose32 View Post

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjose32 View Post
If you don't know, i would have to say you are not really on top of the political scene. Do you own diligence.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 3:21 PM

On one hand it is kind of annoying that there wasn't a decent mayoral candidate representing the left. At least then there might have been some serious discussion and debate over civic issues instead of Jenny's nonstop ranting.

But on the other hand, a left wing candidate would have improved her odds of winning, so maybe it isn't all bad.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
https://twitter.com/bkives/status/1048278446437277696

Now Jenny is complaining about being called out while Bowman was campaigning at Nuit Blanche. Welcome to politics. The election is 2 weeks away.

Nobodies complaining about you spending time with your daughter. There was a large event being held downtown, where your competitor was campaigning, which was perfect for you to get out there and meet the people. Now she's trying to put the sexism spin on it. Cooome onnnnn.
I thought that was an odd news article during the election because it could have the impact of being taken more importantly. ie. fence sitters who will vote but not really overly educated get it in their heads that Bowman works hard and Jenny doesnt.

After the election, I think it would be an interesting point to make about how each candidate valued certain events. But it came across as a bit too partisan-motivated.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan