HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
I suspect people have forgotten that this building was NOT initially proposed as affordable housing. It evolved into affordable housing when they failed to find another way to get it built. Affordable housing never made sense for this project because the costs were just too high. That's a shame.
This is not accurate. From the article posted on the first page of this thread, in January 2015:

Quote:
"Our mission would be to have a high proportion for the housing be affordable, if not all of it," Taylor said.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 2:10 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
This is not accurate. From the article posted on the first page of this thread, in January 2015:
I stand corrected. And wow, if that's the case, I don't understand their thinking at all. How can they build affordable housing with techniques that, at least as of the present, are more expensive? That makes no sense.

I understand the idea of wanting to develop the technique in order to bring down costs to the point where it becomes more affordable than traditional steel construction and, thus, creates a more affordable way to build affordable housing... but they have to bring down costs for CLT before it makes financial sense for affordable housing. If it costs over half a million dollars per 2br... that's a terrible use of money for building affordable housing since it means spending more money to house fewer people.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland