HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Dec 30, 2008, 1:00 AM

Quite a bit of discussion about this proposal on the http://portlandarchitecture.com/ website...

Old Posted Dec 30, 2008, 4:02 AM
shozbot!

^^^ That SERA Architects rendering of the high-rise shows what looks to be a 350 footer at the very least, if accurate with the google map images. The ODS is 308' and 24 floors, so I'm guessing they'll be jumping through some height limit hoops.
What a desired block for a building--close to the waterfront. Location, Location, ....

Old Posted Dec 30, 2008, 7:08 AM

doesn't seem so ideal of a location to me, but who knows.. don't have enough to go off of. Regardless, i wouldn't give money for this cause.. when you think about all of the more needy causes out there than a public market. Does the market become publicly owned?

Old Posted Jan 4, 2009, 11:03 PM
shozbot!

To market, To mark it?

There's an interesting and well written article by Tim DuRoche in Portland Spaces. He touches all the angles about the public market....even the 20 questions that get our wheels spinning, good stuff.....

http://www.portlandspaces.net/blog/t...t-20-questions

Old Posted Jan 5, 2009, 5:14 AM
Well designed mixed use

Thanks for the link. What I wonder is what foodies think of the effort. I've heard some very positive things, and some very negative things about this market. But I've never heard many chefs talk about it.

I for one love the idea of the market, but I don't get this last proposal. It seems like a hail Mary. I think the best point the Burnside Blog makes is with regard to Portlandia. There's absolutely no public support to do anything with it. Simply put, no one whatsoever cares.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2009, 6:59 PM

I wonder if incorporating a seafood market aspect into the Public Market would help create additional buy-in for the project.

Here's a link to other popular seafood markets around the country.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TRAVEL/DESTI...ets/index.html

A few years ago the Lexington Market in Baltimore had weekend evening hours where they served beer to go with the seafood, and it created quite a nice casual, yet happening, atmosphere. Picture Pikes Place with brew.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2009, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
I wonder if incorporating a seafood market aspect into the Public Market would help create additional buy-in for the project.

Here's a link to other popular seafood markets around the country.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TRAVEL/DESTI...ets/index.html

A few years ago the Lexington Market in Baltimore had weekend evening hours where they served beer to go with the seafood, and it created quite a nice casual, yet happening, atmosphere. Picture Pikes Place with brew.
Great ideas Pylon on the seafood and beer. That's kind of what I had in mind in including a small portion of the park under the bridge and along the river as part of the project.

An Oregon (or NW) Wine and Beer Center sponsored by the respective industries could be very cool if done right.

Last edited by Pavlov's Dog; Jan 6, 2009 at 8:22 PM.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2009, 3:32 AM

Market hungry for bridge site
Multnomah County looks to sell Morrison Bridge property

By Jim Redden

The Portland Tribune, Jan 8, 2009

Supporters of a year-round downtown public fresh-food market are entering the new year with fresh hope that it may finally have a home.

After years of searching for a suitable location, the Historic Portland Public Market Foundation is now focusing on a parcel of Multnomah County-owned property at the west end of the Morrison Bridge.

The county is currently using the just-under-three-block-long parcel as a surface parking lot. It has agreed to sell the property, however, and is expected to solicit development bids in the near future.

In a Dec. 22 letter to supporters, the foundation’s president, Amelia Hart, and its consulting director, Ron Paul, call the parcel an “incomparable opportunity” for the project.

“This county-owned property sits along the waterfront, central to downtown workers and shoppers, with abundant nearby parking and easy access by MAX to all parts of the region,” the letter reads.

According to Paul, the foundation has teamed with Portland developer and property owner Melvin Mark to propose building a high-rise tower with the market based on the ground floor and in two adjacent pavilions. The tower would be built in the block adjacent to the fork between the on- and off-ramps at the west end of the bridge, while the pavilions would be located under and to the sides of the off-ramps.

“It would be an iconic location for a feature that Portland is fast becoming known for — local food and produce sold directly by the people who grow it,” said Paul, stressing that the idea is more of a concept than an actual design at this point.

According to Paul, the tower would be owned by the Melvin Mark Development Co. Ideally, Paul said, the market would own the pavilions and rent the space on the first floor of the tower, but exact costs and arrangements have yet to be worked out.

“There are many different ways this can be done, including using tax credits,” said Paul.

The foundation has already acquired the rights from the New York-based James Beard Foundation to name the market after the late famous chef. Beard was born in Portland in 1903 and grew up shopping with his mother at fresh food markets that thrived in the area at that time.

Paul said the entrance to the market could include a statue of the rotund Beard.

“Visitors could rub his stomach on the way in,” he said.

The Melvin Mark company has yet to decide whether the tower would house condominiums, apartments, a hotel, offices or some combination of the four, said president Dan Petrusich.

“That would depend on what we believe the market will support when the project is completed, which would be a few years from now,” he said.

An illustration included with the Public Market Foundation’s letter shows a conceptual design for the tower and surrounding pavilions. It includes a copy of the Portlandia statue on the east side of the building — an idea Paul said is purely “aspirational” and would require the approval of sculptor Raymond Kaskey, who created the original one that adorns the Portland Building.

The idea of locating the market on the property is strongly supported by Multnomah County Commissioner Jeff Cogen, who calls it a creative use for a difficult site to develop.

“The block where the tower would go is relatively easy to develop, but the property under the ramps is very challenging,” he said.

According to Cogen, the county agreed to sell the property “because we’re broke and need the money.”

But in addition to raising funds, Cogen said, he and the other commissioners hope to see a project that helps revitalize downtown.

“The west end of the Morrison Bridge is one of the major gateways into the city,” he said. “The Portland Development Commission and others have urged us to do something with the property that is in keeping with their efforts to redevelop downtown. A home for the public market could be a win-win for everyone.”

Cogen said the county expects to receive fair market value for the property, but is not sure what that is because it has not been appraised recently. A new appraisal will be part of the bid process.

“I’ve heard $5 million to $10 million tossed around, but those figures were developed when the real estate market was much better,” he said. “We’ll just have to wait and see what it’s worth now.”

The idea of a year-round downtown fresh food market has been kicked around for years. The foundation has seriously considered several sites, only to lose them in the end. It was looking at going into the building that was going to replace the city’s main fire station at 55 S.W. Ash St. when Mayor Tom Potter decided to remodel it instead. Market organizers also considered the 511 Building at 511 S.W. Broadway that will be acquired by the Pacific College of Art after the Immigration Division of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security vacates it. And they considered using a portion of Union Station until the idea was vetoed by Homeland Security.

Paul is hopeful the end of the search is now in sight, though.

“This is the most promising location we’ve ever considered,” he said.

For more information on the project, visit the market’s Web site at www.portlandpublicmarket.com .

JONATHAN HOUSE / TRIBUNE PHOTO
This surface parking lot at the northwest end of the Morrison Street Bridge would hold food booth pavillions under a plan proposed by the Melvin Mark Development Company and the Historic Portland Public Market Foundation.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2009, 4:00 AM

^there is a lot of stuff in that article that just doesn't make sense from Paul and MM and Cogen.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2009, 7:27 AM
A before E

I love that not once do they ever mention the Farmer's Market. This is such a scam.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2009, 5:47 PM

I don't understand the need for "food booth pavilions" as noted in the article above. Anyone who actually spends time downtown knows that we already have these. The carts on fourth and oak, and 8th and Washington already do this. If the city wanted to improve them cheaply they could buy the center of those lots, throw in some seating and maybe a rain shelter and be done. This doesn't really need to be some massive development endeavor.

Relocating all of those carts to the waterfront would probably reduce a bunch of their revenue during the week. I'm not walking all the way to the river for my lunch!

Old Posted Jan 9, 2009, 11:51 PM
Well designed mixed use

Very true, but the food carts are in danger. The Goodmans will develop the giant lot on Washington and Alder once the economy returns. There were renderings floating around prior to the downturn. There will need to be a place for the carts.

Having said that, I still don't love this proposal. It seems clumsy.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2009, 7:15 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX City-State View Post
Very true, but the food carts are in danger. The Goodmans will develop the giant lot on Washington and Alder once the economy returns. There were renderings floating around prior to the downturn. There will need to be a place for the carts..
The problem for relocating the carts is that you can't just 'move' them and expect them to thrive. This location, for them, doesn't seem to make sense to me. On the weekends, as part of a huge market? Sure - probably ...but on a weekday? Not so much.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2009, 11:08 PM
Well designed mixed use

True, but it's unlikely that there will be many alternatives. The Morrison bridgehead actually is close to a huge daytime office population. It would likely do well there. I do agree, however, that it's not as good as the current location.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2009, 5:09 PM

Love Portlandia being moved right there. Love the canopies! The building needs to be worked on. And as long as there is easy pedestrian floow to and from all sides of the property....

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 7:34 AM

Look at it as first floor retail for the high rise in the forks of the bridge. It could be an interesting project, there's plenty of parking spots to build up around there.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2010, 11:46 AM

Public market gets rivals
Developers compete with plans for the Morrision bridgehead

By Steve Law

The Portland Tribune, Feb 25, 2010

Backers of a Pike Place-style food market at the downtown Morrison bridgehead have some new competition for the property.

After organizers of the James Beard Public Market and their development partner, Melvin Mark Companies, expressed interest in the Multnomah County-owned surplus property, the county formally sought other proposals for the four blocks. As a result, the city’s top green developer, Gerding Edlen, has entered the bidding along with Specht Development, another prominent local developer that boasts its own financing partner.

The competition raises new questions about a site that some people peg as ideal for a major downtown tourist attraction – a year-round indoor-outdoor food emporium that would be akin to Seattle’s Pike Place Market.

While the county weighs the three proposals and decides how to proceed, Melvin “Pete” Mark Jr. says he’s ready to spearhead fundraising for the nonprofit public market component. Mark, who leaves the business side of Melvin Mark Companies to his son and others, is one of the city’s leading philanthropists and fundraisers. He led the capital campaign to improve Pioneer Courthouse Square, helped Portland Art Museum raise $125 million, was a major benefactor for the downtown library renovation and now is aiding the Oregon Historical Society.

Mark says it might take more than $10 million to establish the nonprofit market, which would occupy three of the four blocks. But he says the timing is right in a town enamored with locally grown and produced food and drink.

“I don’t think it’s going to be hard at all. It may take a year or two,” Mark says. “What we’re talking about is a major, major tourist attraction. It gives Portland a centerpiece and something to be known for.”

“I think that we have the horsepower now with a solid development team,” says Ron Paul, consultant for the James Beard Public Market project. “The fulcrum is whether we get site control from the county.”

Multnomah County Chair Ted Wheeler picked a committee to review the proposals and asked it to consider three factors, says his chief of staff Tom Rinehart. Because of the county’s shaky finances, Wheeler wants to know how the county can make up for more than $500,000 a year it earns from leasing some of the land for parking. It needs to find a new home for county vehicles occupying the site. And Wheeler wants to know if it’s a good time to sell.

Wheeler is in no hurry and wants to be methodical about how he uses this valuable county asset, Rinehart says.

By sending out a formal “Request for Interest” last fall, the county allowed flexibility in picking one of the three developers to negotiate with, Rinehart says. But the county also could ask for formal competitive bids, or drop plans to unload the property.

As it stands, the county’s request has produced the following proposals from the three well-known developers:

• Melvin Mark Development and the James Beard Public Market jointly propose building a high-rise office, hotel or residential property on “Block 16,” the block between Southwest First and Second avenues and Alder and Washington streets. Food-related retail on the ground floor would connect to covered market stalls on the adjoining three blocks, nestled among the on- and off-ramps connecting Morrison Bridge traffic to downtown.

• Gerding Edlen proposes a housing high-rise on Block 16, and low-rise offices on the other blocks, possibly including a public food market. Gerding Edlen teamed with the Goodman family, which owns the lion’s share of downtown parking lots, and offered to buy the site for $8 million or the appraised value.

Gerding Edlen promises the project would be built to the highest green building standards, similar to its Brewery Block development near Powell’s Books.

• Specht proposes an office high-rise on Block 16, and high-density housing on two of the other blocks. Specht strongly urged the county to eliminate the Morrison Bridge ramps on the property, and says it’s essential to raise the existing 75-foot height limit on the blocks it tabbed for housing.

Perhaps Specht’s biggest drawing card is a close relationship with San Antonio-based institutional investor USAA Real Estate Co., crucial at a time when commercial real estate financing has fizzled.

“As such, no third-party debt is required for our team to proceed with the redevelopment of the property, when market conditions warrant,” Specht wrote in its response to the county.
Market idea has following

Mark and Specht have reputations as conservative developers that are relatively safe bets for their financial backers. Gerding Edlen is known for being more adventurous and creative, but other developers say its reputation took a hit when the condo market soured a few years ago, before it could sell many of its condo units.

The food market is the component of greatest interest to the public and the downtown business sector. If successful, it could lure tourists and foot traffic to nearby Saturday Market and downtown shops.

But it might be the riskiest and toughest element to finance, says Todd Sheaffer, president of Specht Development Inc., because fashionable trends in retail can fade quickly.

Mark Edlen, managing director of Gerding Edlen, says the public market could be a catalyst for the area, much as his firm’s redevelopment of the Armory for Portland Center Stage brought new life to the area near Powell’s Books. “We think it’s a tremendous idea,” Edlen says.

Dan Petrusich, president of Melvin Mark Development Co., says his company has a signed contract with the James Beard Public Market, and that group has a “10-year head start” on the idea. If Gerding Edlen wanted to do a market there, “They’d have to go start their own public market foundation,” Petrusich says.

Pete Mark’s offer to lead fundraising could be another ace in the hole for the James Beard/Mark proposal.

To do a public market right would require something like an endowment, Sheaffer says, and the Melvin Mark group could carry it off. “If anyone can do it, it would be them,” he says.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2010, 2:36 PM

What?? This sounds fantastic. What a great location! Wait a second..... is this a follow up to your "Chinese investor wants to build 50-story towers in PDX"?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2010, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvpcvm View Post
What?? This sounds fantastic. What a great location!
I agree. Putting it at Union Station was a terrible idea, the Federal Bldg near the Post Office maybe less so. This would be ideal.

As much as I would like to see the ramps to and from Naito removed, doing that would probably keep a public market from being viable there--the temptation to build high rises would be too great.

If this location is approved, I will donate money to the public market foundation.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2010, 5:07 PM

I'm against demolishing one of our historic surface parking lots to build a building

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland