HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 3:37 PM

Here's the link to the site plan that was filed on Monday. There are no attachments to look over at this time to get any details:

https://www.austintexas.gov/devrevie...erRSN=11055030

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2013, 6:34 PM
Member since 2001

Hill Country, please refer to the following article published by Jude Galligan (DAB):

http://downtownaustinblog.org/2013/1...-for-3-towers/

It seems Jude may have had access to the plan or received the information from a source within City Hall.

Notice the heights of the towers...they're back up to 25+, 50+, and 40+. However, this may still be a move to secure the highest approval possible and then they could downsize the towers (or phase them in) according to capital availability and market demands.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2013, 11:28 PM

Demolition of the existing buildings on the site should start soon. They have been spray painted with markings related to utilities. This site along with several boarded up homes and already demolished buildings on the Millennium Rainey site make this area look like a Detroit neighborhood.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 6:00 AM
Meh

BuildingATX has a nice mockup rendering of it.

http://buildingatx.com/2013/12/walle...oving-forward/

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 1:47 PM

I just really hate the way the smallest building interacts with the street and the sidewalk. It's crooked. Why can't it just be catty-cornered like a normal building? I mean, if it's going to have a cafe there, that's one thing, but if not, then I just don't like it. I'm willing to bet it will have a cafe there, though. There has to be some reason they're designing it like that.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2014, 3:02 PM

Found some pictures that I don't think I've seen before on IBI Group's website.
http://www.ibigroup.com/projects/waller-park-place

Old Posted Mar 19, 2014, 3:14 PM

Quote:
The project consists of three high-rise towers: a 21-story office building above an urban grocer; a 46-story residential tower; and a 38-story retail, hotel, and residential tower. A common podium base will provide underground and above-grade parking as well as numerous retail, dining, and entertainment uses along surrounding streets and overlooking Waller Creek.
Still think this is a filler project to help Sutton sell the property. But I do like the sound of a grocery store on this side of town. With all the residential on Rainey and the East side, I think that part would be a great success.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2014, 9:58 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myomi View Post
Still think this is a filler project to help Sutton sell the property. But I do like the sound of a grocery store on this side of town. With all the residential on Rainey and the East side, I think that part would be a great success.
I agree with your comments. However, Sutton & Co does not own the property. Perry Lorenz still owns all of the parcels which would comprise Waller Park Center.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 12:59 AM

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 2:26 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver -> Austin
Ugh. I really hope there is a redesign, because those designs suck. But, at least we know it's a real proposal now...

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 2:28 AM

Fall groundbreaking!

Everything is falling into place in that area. Now the WCCG project can have confidence about their project because Fairmont and this are moving forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
Ugh. I really hope there is a redesign, because those designs suck. But, at least we know it's a real proposal now...
I completely disagree. Have you seen the new renderings? They made some key changes and I think it looks pretty amazing now.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 2:39 AM

Quote:
I agree with almost everything you say... and this is no exception. Those designs are truly horrifying. They look like they stole the designs off some futuristic game from early 2000s. My eyes are confused when I stare even at the new designs... it's as if I'm looking at some abstract painting whose artists aim is to disorient the viewer. If the designs were one unified color I don't think I'd dislike it this much.

But in a strange way I'm still excited. I hope its only still in its outline phases and we get a few redesigns like the Fairmont's designs have gone through.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 2:39 AM

I am so excited by the new developments this week. All extremely positive news across the board. Waller Creek Center, The Fairmont, Greenwater all happening at the same time will be incredible. Austin's downtown growth will officially hit an invincible level once these projects all get going. Looking good and my fingers are crossed things go smoothly with all of these projects and they get started. Makes me wonder what else is store if we can actually have such substantial projects actually happen all at the same time.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 2:58 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver -> Austin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
I completely disagree. Have you seen the new renderings? They made some key changes and I think it looks pretty amazing now.
They look like Sim City disasters from Eastern Europe or industrial China. We're a modern world class city, not some garbage dump for third world country designs.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 3:23 AM

Quote:
They look like Sim City disasters from Eastern Europe or industrial China. We're a modern world class city, not some garbage dump for third world country designs.
A $400 million piece of garbage? You're either looking at it wrong or you're engaging in some pretty strong hyperbole.

How in the world does this look like Eastern Europe or industrial China to you?

It sounds like most of the criticisms are the result of the design program they used to create the rendering, but remember that The Bowie's renderings were kind of cheap-looking, too, and it has come out looking much different than we expected.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 3:36 AM

I vote for "strong hyperbole."

I love Syndic's photo edit comments.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 3:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
A $400 million piece of garbage? You're either looking at it wrong or you're engaging in some pretty strong hyperbole.

How in the world does this look like Eastern Europe or industrial China to you?

It sounds like most of the criticisms are the result of the design program they used to create the rendering, but remember that The Bowie's renderings were kind of cheap-looking, too, and it has come out looking much different than we expected.
The Bowie's renderings were awesome and classy. It has come out looking absolutely awful compared to the renderings, but still decent.

As for this project, the designs are a bunch of architectural flourishes that have no business being put together on the same building. All of the things that you circled (save for the retail, which has nothing to do at all with the architectural style) are decent, but when you consider that they're all radically different things it creates this context where everything is just jarring to the eye. Can't they find a theme and stick to it? There's just no overarching concept other than "Sim City Crap". Buildings like Frost, the Fairmont (prospectively, at least), and the W look as good as they do because they are cohesive concepts. This is a bunch of mish mash concepts thrown together haphazardly.

Also, some of the things you circles are actually quite nasty. The two dark blue sections are absolutely awful. Glass that color never turns out well in practice. It always ends up looking cheap as hell and dated, just the same way that gold glass looks.

And no, I'm not looking at the renderings wrong. I think that describes your take on them much better than it does mine.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 3:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
I vote for "strong hyperbole."

I love Syndic's photo edit comments.
No, I'm entirely serious.

What I want to see for Austin are a few buildings like this (see link) and more standard glassy infill not jarring eyesores like this project.

http://www.evolo.us/wp-content/uploa...-0-600x607.jpg

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 3:43 AM

Quote:
The Bowie's renderings were awesome and classy. It has come out looking absolutely awful compared to the renderings, but still decent.

As for this project, the designs are a bunch of architectural flourishes that have no business being put together on the same building. All of the things that you circled (save for the retail, which has nothing to do at all with the architectural style) are decent, but when you consider that they're all radically different things it creates this context where everything is just jarring to the eye. Can't they find a theme and stick to it? There's just no overarching concept other than "Sim City Crap". Buildings like Frost, the Fairmont (prospectively, at least), and the W look as good as they do because they are cohesive concepts. This is a bunch of mish mash concepts thrown together haphazardly.

Also, some of the things you circles are actually quite nasty. The two dark blue sections are absolutely awful. Glass that color never turns out well in practice. It always ends up looking cheap as hell and dated, just the same way that gold glass looks.

And no, I'm not looking at the renderings wrong. I think that describes your take on them much better than it does mine.
Like I say... if they had one color for the entire project... the designs would look a lot better and would look like one cohesive concept. Right now they look like those robot transformers that the Power Rangers turn into when they combine.

See here.
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl&...ed=0CAUQsCUoAQ

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 3:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol24 View Post
Like I say... if they had one color for the entire project... the designs would look a lot better and would look like one cohesive concept. Right now they look like those robot transformers that the Power Rangers turn into when they combine.

See here.
I don't even think a single color could fix the problems with this project. The shapes are bad and dated, the way the facades are intermixed (even if they were the same colors) are disjointed, the way the buildings are positioned in relation to each other is awful, etc. Everything is just bad about this project.

They really just do not fit into the vernacular of Austin's current downtown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin