HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Feb 1, 2014, 3:34 AM

That white box in the foreground (Marriot Courtyard) is such a scar on the landscape of the market. I always imagine a redevelopment of this site being an extension/clone/update of the Byward Market building, a second 'Market' feature. Maybe someday!

Old Posted Feb 2, 2014, 1:47 AM

The density around Rideau/King Edward is boing to be crazy! With the 4 CP towers, 2 Pheonix towers, Metro site, Claridge Hotel + Condo in Market + couple of existing towers on Rideau and Cumberland, that would be at least 10 towers in a very compact area... Too bad they will all be (mostly) ugly and all the same height -___-

Old Posted Feb 2, 2014, 2:02 AM

Last edited by Urbanarchit; Aug 27, 2015 at 5:52 PM.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 1:16 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Grants to clean up Rideau Centre, ByWard Market ahead of development get committee OK

By Carys Mills, Ottawa Citizen February 4, 2014

OTTAWA — Ottawa’s finance committee has approved millions of dollars in grants to help developers clean up contaminated or deteriorated areas — also known as “brownfields” — at the Rideau Centre and ByWard Market.

The grants help companies clean up areas where developers want to build. In exchange, the development means the city gets a boost in property taxes.

Three such grants were quickly carried by the committee at its brief meeting Tuesday with no discussion. One is for Claridge Homes’ controversial hotel development on Dalhousie Street, which will get about $1.85 million over a decade, and which should be recouped by new tax growth within a year.

Cadillac Fairview will receive no more than $3.2 million over a decade for an expansion of the Rideau Centre. Through new tax growth the grant is expected to be recovered within two years.

The last grant is for less than $445,776 over a decade, toward a hotel and residential development at 199 Slater St. The grant is expected to be recovered by taxes within a year.

Each of the sites has residue requiring cleanup, including petroleum-based products, heavy metals, hydrocarbons and volatile organic compounds.

Now that the finance committee has carried the grants motions, they will go to council for final approval.

cmills@ottawacitizen.com

twitter.com/CarysMills
© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/busines...875/story.html

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 3:21 AM

Last edited by Urbanarchit; Aug 27, 2015 at 5:52 PM.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 4:23 PM

Re-post from Claridge Plaza thread;

Quote:
Originally Posted by citydwlr View Post
The Neuf Architectes site has the Claridge Hotel listed as "Hyatt Ottawa":
http://www.neufarchitectes.com/7-hot...-Hyatt-Ottawa/

Didn't know that had been finalized...
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
^^Wasn't it from the get-go? Never heard of it being anything else than Hyatt.

Also.. yes! I love the staggered condo architecture for the market... it would look very nice. And let's be honest, there's nothing THAT beautiful or historic on tha stretch of Dalhousie... It's not like the Shawarma place next in front was a heritage site

But what a waste of space, never realized how big this site was and the potential... They could've easily built up to 6-8 floors with underground parking and sell the surface parking lot next door. I'm sure such a big space in the market would be worth a lot.
OBJ mentioned a Hyatt about a year or two ago, but they didn't have any kind of source. This is the closest thing to a confirmation. The design isn't too bad, but I hope it evolves into something a little better.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by defishel View Post
I thought I should post this here from the Claridge Plaza thread. This could replace Marriott Courtyard, although maybe not as condos but as a better-designed hotel.
Also an excellent option. I could see NIMBYS and Heritage Ottawa fighting anything modern in the area. Again with priorities; they fight to keep modern buildings out but they don't do jack to save actual historic buildings.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2014, 5:56 PM

In case anyone is interested in demolition progress check out: http://www.capitalmodern.ca/union-du...ition-gallery/

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 3:48 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Fascinating activity this afternoon as the crane held up the protective screen while the demolition excavator nibbled away at what's left of the structure.

March 13, 2014. Photos by me.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 2:27 PM

Yay! I guess this thing will be going up this summer? We haven't heard of the condo much right? No floor plans, prices, sales center... I guess this would just go up at much later date?

Anyways, excited to see progress, doesn't seem like we have many new projects starting this summer...

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 3:21 PM

Groupe Heafey has a condo project currently under way near Les Terrasses de la Chaudière.

Quote:
Yay! I guess this thing will be going up this summer? We haven't heard of the condo much right? No floor plans, prices, sales center... I guess this would just go up at much later date?

Anyways, excited to see progress, doesn't seem like we have many new projects starting this summer...

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 5:14 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

There is no longer any above-ground structure* left on this site. It's officially GONE.

*There is still a bit of foundation left in the hole, but I'm not counting that

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 5:46 PM

Hopefully they'll officially announce what hotel chain it'll be some time soon.

I wonder if it'll be done in time for the Women's World Cup as originally planned.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
Hopefully they'll officially announce what hotel chain it'll be some time soon.

I wonder if it'll be done in time for the Women's World Cup as originally planned.
Doubt it. It would have to be completed before June 6th 2015.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 4:30 PM

They've excavated down at least one storey already.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 4:37 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster View Post
Groupe Heafey has a condo project currently under way near Les Terrasses de la Chaudière.

What project is under construction?

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 5:54 PM

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 8:38 PM

I really hope that Claridge can actually deliver on a project to a high standard for once. The Market is now overrun by subpar, generic one and two bedroom units. Would be fantastic if we could see some higher-end units with some interesting features and nice finishes.

I suspect though that Claridge is having a bit of a dilemma, as its current sales are going so slowly and it would essentially be competing with itself as Phases 3 and 4 and the waterstreet development are all far from sold. I expect that they'll have to at least wait until phase 3 is complete and people start occupying units. Overall seems that it failed to properly sequence its projects and it is now faced with too much inventory.

Quote:

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOexpat View Post
I really hope that Claridge can actually deliver on a project to a high standard for once. The Market is now overrun by subpar, generic one and two bedroom units. Would be fantastic if we could see some higher-end units with some interesting features and nice finishes.

I suspect though that Claridge is having a bit of a dilemma, as its current sales are going so slowly and it would essentially be competing with itself as Phases 3 and 4 and the waterstreet development are all far from sold. I expect that they'll have to at least wait until phase 3 is complete and people start occupying units. Overall seems that it failed to properly sequence its projects and it is now faced with too much inventory.
I think the market for units in the (Byward) Market is clearly generic two and especially one bedroom units. There are a fewer higher end buildings but they have not done as well in sales or appreciation as more standard fare.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 9:08 PM

Well 90 George and 700 Sussex both did very well in terms of sales.

I do agree though in part as these are the units that investors like or liked five years ago. But I for one am definitely in the market for a large condo and find it really frustrating how poor the selection is. If you want to move beyond first-time buyers and investors developers need to actually build some bigger units that have better floorplans and aren't so crappy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
I think the market for units in the (Byward) Market is clearly generic two and especially one bedroom units. There are a fewer higher end buildings but they have not done as well in sales or appreciation as more standard fare.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa