HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Arts, Culture & Entertainment

Old Posted Mar 25, 2010, 6:57 AM
Dérive-r

I'm not much of a club person (I can probably thank the generic crap on the Granville strip for this) but I'm really interested in checking this place out. I wonder what cover will be like on a typical night there.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2010, 7:17 AM
testify

for me, the coolest thing is the washed out show, me gusta

Old Posted Mar 25, 2010, 7:19 AM
Reason and Freedom

Here is a photo of the club's exterior: http://www.flickr.com/photos/urbanmixer/4431189257/

Old Posted Mar 25, 2010, 7:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delboy View Post
I'm happy to see Vancouver's night life breaking the monoculture that is the Vancouver scene. The article is spot on. There's nothing in this city that counts as a real night club as far as I'm concerned, they are all clones of one another and see them more as bars with dance floors, small dance floors at that. I hope this becomes the new standard so Vancouver can finally shrug off its crap nightlife label.
I think people from Montreal would agree with you

Old Posted Mar 25, 2010, 7:55 AM

This is encouraging news. It might be all marketing but I buy his vision. This night club is trying to attract a more diverse clientele by creating a more diverse space. I can tell you right now I do not fit the demographic of the target market of the typical Granville St night club. But that doesn't mean that I don't like night clubs.

Hopefully this club, and other clubs that open in the future, are able to bring more interesting experiences to the table. That's one thing that distinctly like about clubbing in NY. So many different places, but so many places offer unique experiences, which make it thoroughly interesting and fun, and exploring and getting to meet with different types of people.

I mean, that's the whole point of club hopping, isn't it? Club hopping is not seeing which club you end up getting drunk in.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2010, 8:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
I think people from Montreal would agree with you
LOL why peope from Montreal?

This club reminds me of La Boom and Club 1234 in Montreal with all the rooms and different styles of music and decor. Its really nothing new...but should be interesting to see what it will be like. I just hope that sign above the club that says Five Sixty..is temporary and they hopefullly get a nice new one!

Old Posted Mar 25, 2010, 12:47 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancityrox View Post
LOL why peope from Montreal?

This club reminds me of La Boom and Club 1234 in Montreal with all the rooms and different styles of music and decor. Its really nothing new...but should be interesting to see what it will be like. I just hope that sign above the club that says Five Sixty..is temporary and they hopefullly get a nice new one!
you are right the concept is nothing new, we had clubs like that in the UK 25 years ago, but it is new for vancouver. I hope this becomes the new standard.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2010, 4:39 PM

This part of Club 560 caught my eye from the article:

Alvaro decided to turn it into a unisex bathroom with its own bar, DJ and dance floor. It’s quite a bathroom. Each stall features beautiful tile work, all with a different design. There are even speakers in the stalls, so you don’t have to miss the action when you’re taking a timeout.

I hope that the music is loud, I can't imagine being in the mood to party if someone's taking a flatulent dump a few feet away. And what about the smell!?

Old Posted Mar 27, 2010, 6:15 PM

Maybe these stalls aren't for bowel movements. I can see them just having a sink, a bench and a condom dispensor.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2010, 8:29 PM

ewww takes a dump out in a bar anyway

maybe they are like the stalls at that bar i forget the name where they are like all closed off in their own little rooms - the bathrooms are unisex too and quite small its on davie above dennys

Old Posted Mar 29, 2010, 6:52 PM
Dérive-r

I wandered by Five Sixty Saturday night. Thought I'd check it out if it wasn't too crazy busy but of course it was. The guest list line was at least three times longer than the regular line which seemed to sort of defeat the purpose of having a guest list at all. I didn't bother waiting around but it was interesting to see what sort of crowd it drew. The lineup had a different demographic than the Granville strip, that's for sure - overall a bit older and "classier" looking.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2010, 8:18 PM

someone I know went on friday I never got to ask him yet how it was - his cousin used to work at richards on richards so was at the friday night private opening

Old Posted Mar 29, 2010, 9:08 PM

An acquaintance of mine is a friend of the owner, so I was an invite guest on Friday. I'm also not a night club person (at least the type who would find the Granville scene interesting), and this is the first time I've been to a club in about a year.

Overall, I really enjoyed it; it was a very mixed crowd and generally a bit older, so I (a male in his early 40s) didn't feel out of place. I thought the decor was elegant and the ability to wander across many different levels and sample different music/moods added to the whole experience.

Oh, the bathroom is unisex, but what that means is that there is a long counter with sinks, and about a dozen or so private bathroom stalls across from the counter and far enough away to allow more than enough auditory (and olfactory) privacy.

I hope that the club is a success.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2010, 11:00 AM

i don't know where this would fit so how about here - does anyone remember Thomas Donovan?

Video Link

Old Posted Apr 13, 2010, 1:02 AM
BANNED

new bar in Gastown - Guilt and Co (under Chill Winstons)

http://www.guttersnipenews.com/2010/...-co-vancouver/

Sounds neat. Maple square has sure gotten tons of new places of late:

- redo of the Irish Heather and the Blarney

- Cork and Fin

- The Diamond

- Six Acres

- And now Guilt and Co.

There was also Pour House that opened recently and the Edge Pub both of which are in the area.

Gastown is really becoming the soul of the city - I like the way it's going.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2010, 3:55 AM

gastown had all the bars in the early 90's than they all seemed to go away now they are coming back - twilight zone was always fun

Old Posted Apr 13, 2010, 4:11 PM

Quote:
new bar in Gastown - Guilt and Co (under Chill Winstons)

http://www.guttersnipenews.com/2010/...-co-vancouver/

Sounds neat. Maple square has sure gotten tons of new places of late:

- redo of the Irish Heather and the Blarney

- Cork and Fin

- The Diamond

- Six Acres

- And now Guilt and Co.

There was also Pour House that opened recently and the Edge Pub both of which are in the area.

If becoming "liquor central" is your definition of soul, then have at 'er.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2010, 5:22 PM
In Love With YVRthing

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
If becoming "liquor central" is your definition of soul, then have at 'er.
I'm curious to whether you've been to any of these places? Gastown has turned out an amazing number of tiny, ridiculously good restaurant/bar/tapas spaces. Cobre, Salt, Pourhouse, Diamond - all are reasonably priced and you should feel the wonder as you watch someone make a drink in front of you that doesn't involve pouring vodka out of a hose. Even if you're a teetotaler these places have hands down something to offer over the generic hotel bars/tapas and the sh*t they call restaurants/public houses on Granville.

Even cooler, they're often owned by local Gastowners 'with a dream', to be so cliche, rather than by Donelley Group, Caprice, or Glowbal. It hasn't become 'liquor central', it's become quality central. Thank goodness.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2010, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Yup, Gastown's turning back into what it always was - a community of saloons!

Old Posted Apr 14, 2010, 5:31 PM

Theres also a cool new resto opening this summer called "L'Abattoir" which means Slaughterhouse in french lol. cool name!

its located at the old Irish Heather location and it has a patio in the back in the solarium! It looks great.

I love these strange names they use for the restaurants. One that pops up into my head is the new Judas Goat in Blood Alley...love it!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Arts, Culture & Entertainment