HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Jan 25, 2013, 6:55 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2013, 3:36 PM

CANOE.ca

Has anyone noticed the odd use of images on the Free Press website? For example this giant OPP logo always appears with OPP briefings. What the heck does that add to the article, "The big OPP is watching you!"?

They also seem to be using a lot of images just for the sake of images. Like today's story "Radio Fanshawe broadcasts special", there's a giant image of a generic stock image red radio. Again, who cares? It doesn't add anything to the article, except that I must scroll a lot further to read an article that is a fraction of the size of the radio image. All that image for a 3-paragraph news brief.

A couple of weeks ago there was a story about a doctor losing her license. Just because the Free Press wished to put in a filler image for the story, they put in a dated photo of this doctor smiling. Yeah, great choice.

CANOE.ca

Old Posted Feb 9, 2013, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
Has anyone noticed the odd use of images on the Free Press website?... They also seem to be using a lot of images just for the sake of images... It doesn't add anything to the article, except that I must scroll a lot further to read an article that is a fraction of the size of the radio image. All that image for a 3-paragraph news brief....
Many newspapers made a conscious business decision about 5 or so years ago to shift their content strategy. Some even published articles in their own newspapers prior to making the shift in order to defend what was about to be rolled out to their readership, claiming the change was what their readership wanted. Basically it was the replacement of dense text with more & larger images, larger headlines & fonts, and shortening & simplifying the actual stories. This strategy is especially prevalent in mid-sized city newspapers owned by larger parent publications. The actual reasons are many fold:

1) The parent companies have purchased and hollowed out once robust and well respected publications such as the Freep (Quebecor in this case). As such, there are now a lesser number of local reporters of lesser skills that produce less local content than in the past. One or two local photographers with digital cameras can however easily and cheaply fill up the space on the page originally taken up by words.

2) Lots of flashy images attempt to compete with other multimedia content sources such as TV and the internet. Basically adding sensationalism to grab and hold attention.

3) Limited attention span of the audience. Many stories are reduced to print versions of sound bites. Pictures are pretty and reading takes effort.

4) The complexity standard for journalism is now a grade 7 reading level. I'm not making that up - that's the standard. The result is less content to the stories because they have to be told in the simplest way possible. An extreme example would be a story about the supercollider atom smasher at CERN in Europe. This could be a very fascinating story, but the reader will get only that this is a very large and expensive machine that "probes the mysteries of the universe" (a catchphrase that they use for any science/technology more complex than a high school lab experiment). There will then be a large image of said atom smasher to emphasize that it is very large, expensive, and complex.

5) Larger fonts for an aging readership, and large "screamer" headlines to sensationalize things and, once again, to take up page space once filled with actual content.

Basically the result is everything is being dumbed down. The large, meaningless images that you are seeing attached to the stories that you are reading on their web site is just an adherence to their current hardcopy publishing standards: a big picture for every story. Why the stock photos though? That's nothing more than laziness and a general lack of staff and resources to do a proper job. It all adds up to a generally lower standard of journalism.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2013, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snark View Post
Basically the result is everything is being dumbed down. The large, meaningless images that you are seeing attached to the stories that you are reading on their web site is just an adherence to their current hardcopy publishing standards: a big picture for every story. Why the stock photos though? That's nothing more than laziness and a general lack of staff and resources to do a proper job. It all adds up to a generally lower standard of journalism.
That's not even my biggest complaint about the Free Press these days. My biggest complaint is the amount of un-moderated user-generated content they're allowing. I have no problem with user-generated content and reader contributions, but there's virtually no moderation. Most articles now have the same 5 or 6 people, frequently calling each other "idiots", using all-caps, and making derogatory comments about others and groups of people (Colombian immigrants being an occasional target). The Free Press also has the "UR" section where people can make up a news story and post it. A couple weeks ago a troll with an agenda against Catholics posted a story meant to bait other people with anti-Catholic sentiments. Sure enough, there was a torrent of such comments. Sure enough, my email to the Free Press requesting the story's removal was met with silence.

Even moderated comments are not working out for CBC. A couple days ago there was a story about Jason Kenney's plan to revoke citizenship from terrorists, and a comment was posted saying that Canada should stop allowing immigration from outside the British Commonwealth. I tried everything I could to get CBC moderators to get rid of that comment, but they refused. Several weeks ago, the Toronto Star criticized CBC for the amount of racism they have been allowing in their comments, particularly against Native peoples. For the past few years I have found CBC to be very lax in allowing racist comments against Aboriginals, Middle Eastern people, and Latin American people.

The Free Press, CBC, and others are really cheapening their once great products with the lack of control over their story comments sections. We don't have a guarantee of free speech in this country that the Americans do, and media outlets have to be more careful around the areas of hate speech and libel than they have been.

Last edited by manny_santos; Feb 9, 2013 at 9:10 PM.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2013, 5:27 AM
Torontonian Refugee

Quote:
Even moderated comments are not working out for CBC. A couple days ago there was a story about Jason Kenney's plan to revoke citizenship from terrorists, and a comment was posted saying that Canada should stop allowing immigration from outside the British Commonwealth. I tried everything I could to get CBC moderators to get rid of that comment, but they refused. Several weeks ago, the Toronto Star criticized CBC for the amount of racism they have been allowing in their comments, particularly against Native peoples. For the past few years I have found CBC to be very lax in allowing racist comments against Aboriginals, Middle Eastern people, and Latin American people.

The Free Press, CBC, and others are really cheapening their once great products with the lack of control over their story comments sections. We don't have a guarantee of free speech in this country that the Americans do, and media outlets have to be more careful around the areas of hate speech and libel than they have been.
The more unmoderated the better, I say. Reflects the readership of each respective paper and reminds you of why most people are, in fact, not entitled to their opinion. Racist, chip-on-shoulder idiots with a Grade 7 level of literacy? Sounds like the main audience of every Canadian paper ever to me (although the Globe and the Post seem to target those at the 9th-grade level). Compare and contrast with the comments section on something like, oh, The Economist, where people are debating the hypothetical tradeoff between freedom and wealth.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2013, 3:22 PM
London Aficionado

The London Free Press is approaching (if it hasn't got there already) unreadable. I'd rather flip through the Metro then read the Free Press lately. The only section I even bother to pick up is the Sports section, so I can read the latest on the local sports teams, but that's about it.

The Free Press used to be one of the absolute best newspapers in the country, and not too long ago either, folks. If Mr. Blackburn was alive today to see what his paper has become, he'd die of shock, of that I'm convinced.

Don't even get me started on the online Free Press comments sections. Honestly, where do those people come from?!? It's honestly unbelievable.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 3:00 AM
User Registered

I have to say the newspaper is pretty much yesterday's news for yesterday's generation.

Why would I pay to read a story I found out about the day before (for free) on the internet? At least the LFP has made some strides with online articles and their twitter feed but I agree that the quality of the content has gone way down.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Mar 5, 2013, 5:35 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Pardon the pun, but this story about tim horton's lack of basic decency sickens me.

Tim Hortons staff looked on as boy had asthma attack in London, Ont. store, customer says

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/03...customer-says/

and furthermore denied access to paramedics!!!! http://www.lfpress.com/2013/03/04/ti...-asthma-attack

unfuckingbelievable.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2013, 8:54 PM

I don't know what London Free Pres you were reading but I have always thought it to be a bit of a rag.

In general though, I think Canadian newspapers are of very poor quality with the noteable exception of the Globe and Mail.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 4:41 AM
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
I don't know what London Free Pres you were reading but I have always thought it to be a bit of a rag.

In general though, I think Canadian newspapers are of very poor quality with the noteable exception of the Globe and Mail.
The globe also has a useful app, great to read on your phone/tablet in the morning.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Mar 10, 2013, 4:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Pardon the pun, but this story about tim horton's lack of basic decency sickens me.

Tim Hortons staff looked on as boy had asthma attack in London, Ont. store, customer says

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/03...customer-says/

and furthermore denied access to paramedics!!!! http://www.lfpress.com/2013/03/04/ti...-asthma-attack

unfuckingbelievable.
sickning behavior from Tim Hortons. BOYCOTT that location. The Manager and all the way down need to be fired. Had the boy die, sue timmies for millions..or even look at possible criminal charges

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 7:17 PM

Just ventured into Downtown London for the first time since August 2012. When did Coffee Culture on Richmond close? Other than that I didn't notice any major changes. Tomorrow I'm thinking of making a pilgrimage to Stobie's. If there's one thing I miss in London, it's that. The closest thing we have where I live now is Pizza Pizza. And I'm being nice.

Quite impressed to see people on Barney's Patio today. Even for a holiday Friday, Downtown London is pretty lively. This great weather sure helps.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Just ventured into Downtown London for the first time since August 2012. When did Coffee Culture on Richmond close? Other than that I didn't notice any major changes. Tomorrow I'm thinking of making a pilgrimage to Stobie's. If there's one thing I miss in London, it's that. The closest thing we have where I live now is Pizza Pizza. And I'm being nice.

Quite impressed to see people on Barney's Patio today. Even for a holiday Friday, Downtown London is pretty lively. This great weather sure helps.
From my memories, coffee culture was a very average coffee shop, nothing special at all. I think it's owned by crabby joes. It's too bad london doesn't have a real Italian style coffee shop, one that focuses on great quality coffee. After living here in Bath, there are probably a dozen high quality coffee shops (and loads of other good ones). It's all expresso based coffee, not filtered coffee. I don't think I could drink Tim Hortons again.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2013, 6:24 PM
Wannabe Urbanite

Quote:
When did Coffee Culture on Richmond close?
It closed? I didn't know that. I know the one on Dundas is still open. Maybe downtown just couldn't support two of them? I'm no coffee connoisseur, but I do like Coffee Culture because they're always located in historic downtown retail strips, and they aren't as pretentious, or as big as Starbucks.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2013, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpseatles View Post
It closed? I didn't know that. I know the one on Dundas is still open. Maybe downtown just couldn't support two of them? I'm no coffee connoisseur, but I do like Coffee Culture because they're always located in historic downtown retail strips, and they aren't as pretentious, or as big as Starbucks.
A friend of mine who works downtown thinks it was a very recent closure, like in the past month. I've always liked Coffee Culture. Never been to the ones in London, but I've been in other communities such as Exeter and Strathroy. They have some great lunch menu items. Better quality than Tim Hortons on all fronts, and as you say, it doesn't have the pretentiousness of Starbucks.

I just wish London had a real donut shop. For a city London's size, I can't believe there isn't a single store (that I know of) that sells donuts made on-site.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2013, 10:33 PM
User Registered

Quote:
I just wish London had a real donut shop. For a city London's size, I can't believe there isn't a single store (that I know of) that sells donuts made on-site.
There was a Krispy Kreme on Wonderland south of Southdale, but that didn't last long and is now a Williams.

I too think Coffee Culture is pretty average... I'm a Williams man myself.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Mar 31, 2013, 2:37 AM
bro

Smile

Quote:
A friend of mine who works downtown thinks it was a very recent closure, like in the past month.
Definitely recent, I'd wager within the last week or two. The Richmond location had much later hours than the Dundas store, so I was disappointed to see it close.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2013, 3:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolognium View Post
Definitely recent, I'd wager within the last week or two. The Richmond location had much later hours than the Dundas store, so I was disappointed to see it close.
I'm betting they had difficulty competing with Starbucks. That one at Richmond and Central is always packed. Not sure how late it's open though.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 4:18 AM
User Registered

Stay classy London Free Press. (Look at Article #4)

http://www.lfpress.com/2013/04/03/le...e-editor-apr-4

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Apr 6, 2013, 5:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
Stay classy London Free Press. (Look at Article #4)

http://www.lfpress.com/2013/04/03/le...e-editor-apr-4

I saw that as well. I'm not shocked that someone would submit such a letter, but I'm shocked the LFP would publish it in the print edition.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation