HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 17, 2010, 3:48 PM

I count 50 overhead doors on the side of the Loblaw Distribution Centre that is shown. That means a lot of semis and a lot of activity. It is hard to believe that they plan to double the size.

I would not be surpised if some of the trucking companies that serve Loblaw/Atlas Logistics set up shop at the GTH.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2010, 5:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
I count 50 overhead doors on the side of the Loblaw Distribution Centre that is shown. That means a lot of semis and a lot of activity. It is hard to believe that they plan to double the size.

I would not be surpised if some of the trucking companies that serve Loblaw/Atlas Logistics set up shop at the GTH.
We could be seeing it double in size sooner than we think. In today's LP there was a pic of the new pumping station under construction (cutterp posted a pic of it yesterday) and it mentioned that work has already started on Phase II of the Loblaw distribution centre.

This is a bit of a surprise since the original press release said the second phase increasing the size to one-million-square-feet wouldn't be expected until 2017.

Does this mean we could possibly see 1,500 new jobs within the next two years instead of the 750 they originally planned to open with for phase I?

Old Posted Feb 18, 2010, 3:30 PM
Closed account

will loblaws be one of the largest private sector employers in the province when open

Old Posted Feb 26, 2010, 6:39 AM

http://www.leaderpost.com/shipping+P...287/story.html

Quote:
New era for shipping on the Prairies

BY BRUCE JOHNSTONE, LEADER-POST FEBRUARY 25, 2010

The Global Transportation Hub Authority (GTHA), which held its inaugural board meeting in Regina Wednesday, will usher in a new era for the province's economy, according to GTHA chair Wayne Elhard.

"We've identified a number of people from around the country to participate in this organization,'' said Elhard, referring to the six directors representing shippers, transportation companies, exporters and regulatory agencies.

"They're here today learning about the global transportation hub (GTH) and we're going to be discussing with them opportunities for the future of the organization,'' the Maple Creek MLA told reporters.

One of the first things the directors did was tour the GTH site west of the city, where Loblaw Companies is currently building a $200-million warehouse and distribution centre.

"They're surprised at what we've accomplished here already,'' Elhard said, referring to the 2,000-acre GTH site. "Over the next five years, we expect most of that site to be completely occupied.''

The GTH will encompass Canadian Pacific Rail's intermodal facility, which will be relocated from Dewdney Avenue, with other distribution centres and storage facilities

In the boardroom, Elhard said the board of directors discussed "governance issues," the business model for the GTH, and other logistical concerns.

Elhard said the board will meet about four times a year, two at the GTHA's offices at 1777 Victoria Ave. and two by teleconference call.

"We're not expecting (operations management) from them on a day-to-day basis. Their interest in the project will compel them to participate at a (higher) level.''

Elhard, a former highways and infrastructure minister, said each board member has his or her own interest in seeing the GTH succeed.

For example, the Port of Vancouver, represented on the board by vice-chair and former port authority president and CEO Gordon Houston, is looking for the GTH to help reduce congestion at the port.

"Any reduction (in congestion) that we can bring to the supply chain... is advantageous to the economy as a whole,'' he added.

Similarly, exporters, represented on the board by Saskatchewan Trade and Export Partnership CEO Lionel LaBelle, want improved capacity at container facilities.

"We in Saskatchewan rely tremendously on exports. One of the biggest challenges facing our small manufacturers and grain producers is export capacity at our container facilities.''

Mayo Schmidt, CEO of Viterra, said his company is loading 400 to 500 shiploads of grain a year and needs access to port as well as container facilities.

"Transportation is a critical element of any goods and services business,'' Schmidt said. "(The GTH) has a role to play in the movement of goods and services to port).''

"This couldn't have come at a better time for the province,'' he added. "When you look at the success Saskatchewan is having, it's a great opportunity to expand on that."

Elhard said he envisions the GTH becoming a major transportation hub for the Prairie region in the next five to 10 years.

"My vision as chair of this authority and this project is that within five years, we have at least five to seven companies located and operating there, over and above CP Rail (IMF) project. We could see more.''

Elhard said Loblaw alone expects to employ 1,500 at its one-million-square-foot distribution centre by 2015.

"The value of this project isn't just measured in dollars and cents. It's measured in human capital, in new jobs, in new investment dollars that do come here.''

In addition, the GTH will be important "in diversifying Saskatchewan's economy,'' Elhard said. "This is exactly the kind of development and investment that will help stabilize the economy and broaden its base."

© Copyright (c) The Regina Leader-Post

Old Posted Mar 8, 2010, 2:53 PM

Quote:

The second phase of Loblaw's is indeed out for tender. Total square footage of Phase 2 is 527,195 sf (Phase 1 was 395,620 sf). West side of the addition has 73 loading doors, and the east side has 80 loading doors!

Old Posted Apr 26, 2010, 7:13 PM

According to Reed COnstruction Data, Phase Two is already under construction:

DISTRIBUTION CENTRE ADDN: Regina Intermodal Rail Distribution Centre, Phase Two
Project Overview

Location: Division No 6 County, SaskatchewanPhase: Post-Bid PhaseBuilding Type:WarehouseStage:Negotiated/startWork Type:Addition Start Date:2010-04-01Last Updated:2010-04-19
Project Description

proposed addition to a distribution centre for Loblaw.
Project Value

Estimated Value:$45,000,000
Project Participants

Architects and Engineers
  • Turner Fleischer Arch Inc (Architect)
Project Construction
  • Carwell Construction Limited (Gen cont)
  • CPE Structural Consultants Ltd (Structural cons eng)
  • LKM Consulting Engineers Inc (Mechanical cons eng)
  • Hammerschlag & Joffe Inc (Electrical cons eng)
  • Turner Fleischer Arch Inc (Owner's representative)

Old Posted Apr 26, 2010, 8:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:
According to Reed COnstruction Data, Phase Two is already under construction:

DISTRIBUTION CENTRE ADDN: Regina Intermodal Rail Distribution Centre, Phase Two
Project Overview

Location: Division No 6 County, SaskatchewanPhase: Post-Bid PhaseBuilding Type:WarehouseStage:Negotiated/startWork Type:Addition Start Date:2010-04-01Last Updated:2010-04-19
Project Description

proposed addition to a distribution centre for Loblaw.
Project Value

Estimated Value:$45,000,000
Project Participants

Architects and Engineers
  • Turner Fleischer Arch Inc (Architect)
Project Construction
  • Carwell Construction Limited (Gen cont)
  • CPE Structural Consultants Ltd (Structural cons eng)
  • LKM Consulting Engineers Inc (Mechanical cons eng)
  • Hammerschlag & Joffe Inc (Electrical cons eng)
  • Turner Fleischer Arch Inc (Owner's representative)
Wow, I wonder if they already started to hire for positions there?

Old Posted Apr 26, 2010, 9:41 PM

Does anyone have any current pictures of the Global Transportation Hub, or if not can anyone go and take some to post? I am eager to see what it looks like now. !

Old Posted Apr 27, 2010, 2:08 PM
#1 King Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
Does anyone have any current pictures of the Global Transportation Hub, or if not can anyone go and take some to post? I am eager to see what it looks like now. !
For a bottle of wine I'll go back out.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2010, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutterp View Post
For a bottle of wine I'll go back out.
Hoe about a box of wine?

Old Posted Apr 27, 2010, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
I took a drive out there on Sunday and took some mental pictures, not sure how to upload them though.

There is the skeleton of another structure west of the main building. I may go for a drive out there this weekend again...and try to remember the camera.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2010, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beadyeyez View Post
I took a drive out there on Sunday and took some mental pictures, not sure how to upload them though.

There is the skeleton of another structure west of the main building. I may go for a drive out there this weekend again...and try to remember the camera.
If you have a tooth that is turning a bit blue, you should be able to upload them wirelessly. Otherwise you are screwed.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2010, 3:46 PM

hahaha....I perhaps could send a bottle of wine from Toronto...but then those pictures better be glorious!

Old Posted Apr 27, 2010, 5:25 PM
#1 King Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeeg View Post
Hoe about a box of wine?
Last time you wooed me with a box of wine things turned technicolor and my body....well nobody else needs to know.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2010, 12:30 AM

Sure would be nice to hear some news from CP and their plans for construction at the new site and when they plan on starting to dismantle the current yards downtown. The fall of 2012 is when they are planning to move operations but does that mean start to move or finish to move. Still a long ways away, can't start building a stadium with all that crap in the way!

Old Posted Jun 9, 2010, 4:57 AM

Anyone hear what's happening out at the Hub? They must be well on their way to completing phase 1?

Old Posted Jun 10, 2010, 5:46 PM

Can anyone post some pictures of the completed construction so far?

Old Posted Jun 14, 2010, 2:58 AM
#1 King Champ

What now sits on top of the big pit.

I was just kicked out of there by security 10 seconds before taking this.

The big warehouse in front of the REALLY big warehouse.

Swimming Pools with waterfall?

Close up of waterfall in the swimming pools.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2010, 3:13 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

doubt thats a swimming pool more like a dranage pond and for fire water

Old Posted Jun 14, 2010, 3:19 AM

There are 2 warehouses going up out there? Is that just Loblaw's 1 and 2 or did I miss an announcement?

I assume Loblaw's phase 1 and phase 2 would result in just one large warehouse. But clearly there's 2 separate ones from those pics.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan