HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Sep 30, 2013, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
There's just something epically wrong with having hundreds of diesel spewing buses in front of our grand governmental boulevard.
Like here?

[QUOTES] Same with our fairly narrow high end shopping district. [/QUOTE]
Or here?

Quote:
Furthermore, rerouting STO to Albert/Slater from Wellington could only improve the route by dropping people in the middle of the CBD as opposed to the northern most street were we have the lowest density.
This is probably true.

Quote:
As for moving buses from Rideau to the Mackenzie King Bridge, we would merely be reversing the traffic pattern; instead of having local bus routes hoarding down Rideau and rapid transit on the Mac Bridge, we would have rapid transit under Rideau and locals on the Mac. Having people walk 2 blocks indoors is not a big deal, but having hoards of buses on the City's 2 most famous streets is.
I'd be okay to move the STO buses as regional buses to the MacKenzie King Bridge mainly because they need the capacity, but the locals make more sense at the station on Rideau.

Quote:
Besides, from what I have seen, the Rideau hub is mostly used by teenagers, who have no choice but to use transit, and military staff who would be highly inconvenienced by driving.
That's just not so. I walk through Rideau Centre every day on my way to work, and who is there is a very varied group. Tonnes of people who work at DND take the bus, I don't know if it is because they would be "highly inconvenienced by driving" or if they are just making rational transportation decisions like every other commuter.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2013, 6:00 PM
Still optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
What's awful about it?
People who take the bus are just so icky, y'know? Why can't they just be normal and get cars?

Old Posted Sep 30, 2013, 6:47 PM

Quote:
There's just something epically wrong with having hundreds of diesel spewing buses in front of our grand governmental boulevard. Same with our fairly narrow high end shopping district.
(A) I don't take that as self-evident, and (B) "grand governmental boulevard" lol lol lol lol LOL Lol.

Quote:
Furthermore, rerouting STO to Albert/Slater from Wellington could only improve the route by dropping people in the middle of the CBD as opposed to the northern most street were we have the lowest density.
Depends on what you value in a route. However, that routing involves physical swerving of buses (which is uncomfortable for passengers, a lesson bus-based transit companies never learn) and traffic conflicts (buses have to turn, often across lanes of other kinds of traffic.) These things can be service deteriorations to be debited against the supposed improvement.

Quote:
Having people walk 2 blocks indoors is not a big deal,
It's three blocks, and yeah, it is a big deal, esp. if transferring from LRT to an infrequent local route.

Quote:
but having hoards of buses on the City's 2 most famous streets is.
I don't see the problem with having buses on famous streets. Really don't. It does not offend me, but then again, I'm not offended by the usual things that offend Ottawans (and often vice-versa.)

Quote:
Besides, from what I have seen, the Rideau hub is mostly used by teenagers, who have no choice but to use transit, and military staff who would be highly inconvenienced by driving.
Wut?

Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 1:06 AM

Quote:
There's just something epically wrong with having hundreds of diesel spewing buses in front of our grand governmental boulevard. Same with our fairly narrow high end shopping district.
Quote:
Having people walk 2 blocks indoors is not a big deal, but having hoards of buses on the City's 2 most famous streets is.

Although I think it would be nice and peaceful if the number of buses on Wellington and Rideau decreased significantly, I don't think that's necessarily the way to go.

Efficient transit includes moving people to exactly where they want to be (or as close as physically possible). There needs to be every incentive for people to *want* to use public transportation. People *want* to go to the Rideau hub. Given the choice as a transit rider, would you rather A) get dropped off right in the middle of the action, at the front door of the mall or in front of Parliament; or B) have to walk another 2 blocks (even if it is indoors)?

Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 1:09 AM

...Wow, I didn't realize so many others had already torn apart this message by J.OT13 on the page after his/her message!

Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 3:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggys View Post
...Wow, I didn't realize so many others had already torn apart this message by J.OT13 on the page after his/her message!
I'm a dude and I hate buses. Get them out of my site!

As a pedestrian, weather or not I used transit, I would rather B) if it meant being able to breath once I'm on the main shopping/entertainment district (Rideau) or touristic area (Wellington).

Of course, I drive everywhere and I'm the guy who parks a kilometer away from work to save 5$ a day.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 11:40 AM
Still optimistic

I'm pretty sure the STO stopped running their coal-powered buses. It's safe to breathe.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 1:42 PM

Quote:

As a pedestrian, weather or not I used transit, I would rather B) if it meant being able to breath once I'm on the main shopping/entertainment district (Rideau) or touristic area (Wellington).

Of course, I drive everywhere and I'm the guy who parks a kilometer away from work to save 5$ a day.
Well I hate cars, so get them out of my sight!! Furthermore, whether or not you use transit, breathing will be easier if most people travel by bus than by car.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 3:10 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I see there are buses right next to Big Ben but I wonder: does everyone going from Canary Wharf to Heathrow have to use Westminster Bridge in order to get across the city?

I do think that it's normal that there be buses on Wellington (and Rideau too) but within reason I think it would be good if there weren't so many and they were mostly local downtown lines.

Now, I don't have a solution to get STO buses off this corridor but surely someone smart could give this some thought.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 3:15 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Just looking at this map http://goo.gl/maps/NZjSf

There appears to be a few unused or underused portions of the former Wellington St. that go south towards Bronson and that could link up fairly easily to Albert and Slater. You'd have to build ramps and intersections at the corner of Wellington St. and the Portage Bridge, but it would definitely be a workable solution.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 3:39 PM
Mooderator

I think I might have seen notre forumer Aylmer in last week's Bulletin d'Aylmer.

..I might be wrong, but I think I'm right..

Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnixon View Post
Well I hate cars, so get them out of my sight!! Furthermore, whether or not you use transit, breathing will be easier if most people travel by bus than by car.
I get it; maybe I should check my spelling more often. BTW, how's your French?

To be fair, it's easier and cheaper to re-route buses or build infrastructure to hide transit (i.e. underground) than it is to do the same with cars.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylmer View Post
I'm pretty sure the STO stopped running their coal-powered buses. It's safe to breathe.
You've got to admit, walking on the narrow sidewalk in front of Freiman's, overcrowded with transit users along a wall of diesel spewing STO buses is not a pleasant experience, even less so when it's nearly 40 degrees outside.

I'm hoping the new, more efficient Rapibus routes improve the situation.

And yes, I get that some of you don't like the whole hub and spoke system so don't argue with me, it's pointless.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 4:07 PM
Still optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
I think I might have seen notre forumer Aylmer in last week's Bulletin d'Aylmer.

..I might be wrong, but I think I'm right..
I'll never tell!

Old Posted Oct 3, 2013, 6:03 PM

Quote:
You've got to admit, walking on the narrow sidewalk in front of Freiman's, overcrowded with transit users along a wall of diesel spewing STO buses is not a pleasant experience, even less so when it's nearly 40 degrees outside.

I'm hoping the new, more efficient Rapibus routes improve the situation.
Times are changing, perhaps in a few years, all those diesel-spewing STO busses will be replaced by 100% electric busses, like the one STO is trying out now until 2014. Chinese made!
http://www.stm.info/fr/presse/commun...o-et-de-la-stm

http://www.stm.info/sites/default/fi...?itok=kiUR0Iaw

Old Posted Oct 4, 2013, 12:11 AM
Awesome!

I'm pretty sure 2014 or perhaps before that will see the end of 80's buses with the last 89 models retired pretty soon - there are only four left. I would give just a few more years before the remaining high floors buses will be retired. I think about a third or more of the 90's buses have been retired with other pretty in very rough shape.
"However, the Leafs have not won the Cup since 1967, giving them the longest-active Cup drought in the NHL, and thus are the only Original Six team that has not won the Cup since the 1967 NHL expansion." Favorite phrase on the Toronto Maple Leafs Wikipedia page.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2013, 4:34 AM

Quote:

I am in those areas just about every day of the week, and every weekday. I have no problems breathing there.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2013, 4:35 AM

Quote:
And yes, I get that some of you don't like the whole hub and spoke system so don't argue with me, it's pointless.
I love hub and spoke, but I don't think it's inconsistent with buses on Wellington.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2013, 4:17 PM

Quote:
I love hub and spoke, but I don't think it's inconsistent with buses on Wellington.
No, it's not. What I'm saying is that with the more efficient hub and spoke system (where everyone gets on the same 3-4 bus routes as opposed to a line up of 10+ different routes), there might be a decent reduction in STO bus traffic downtown.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2013, 4:20 PM

Quote:
I am in those areas just about every day of the week, and every weekday. I have no problems breathing there.
I guess it's like people who live in the city get used to the noise while country folk think it's too noisy. When you're used to it, you adapt to it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation