HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Jan 3, 2007, 3:08 PM

Pride in city sure to last
Millennium Gate will be fitting tribute

By Bob Barr
For the Journal-Constitution

Published on: 01/03/07

I have been proud to call Atlanta my home for nearly three decades. Pride in my hometown is born of the vibrancy, vision and vitality of this great, but still young, city.

The natural beauty of Atlanta's rolling, still-heavily treed terrain combines with a population that is both demographically and culturally diverse to create an allure that is more than skin-deep. The city's status as a financial, transportation, technology and banking nexus helps significantly to keep the metropolitan area from stagnating. The beauty of Atlanta's residential neighborhoods compares favorably to that of any other American city. Its magnificent office buildings attract businesses large and small from across the country and around the globe.

Is the city perfect? Of course not. Traffic is a recurrent migraine. Crime rates, while below those of a generation ago and still far better than many other major U.S. cities, remain unacceptably high. And the humidity's a real bummer.

Still and all in all, there are few things in which Atlanta is wanting. But there is one thing Atlanta lacks, and we cannot blame it all on the deplorable antics of one William Tecumseh Sherman, the Yankee general who decided to burn this fair city to the ground some 142 years ago. Atlanta is sorely and obviously lacking in monuments of substance and beauty. Yes, we have beautiful, modern skyscrapers and low-rise office, entertainment, hotel and convention complexes. And Centennial Olympic Park graces the heart of downtown.

But where are the memorials —- the statues of substance that grace city squares, churches, even government buildings in other great cities of the world? Where are those monuments at which visitors and residents alike can gaze over and over again in awe of their intrinsic beauty as well as for the visions of history and ages past they conjure in our minds?

Sadly, they just aren't here. The "City Too Busy to Hate" has been a city too busy to memorialize. Thankfully, because of the efforts of a small but dedicated group of Atlantans, that void is about to be filled.

This past Saturday, in that large patch of green grass that remains part of the revitalized Atlantic Station, ground was broken for an awesomely beautiful monument: The Millennium Gate.

When finished by the end of 2008, The Millennium Gate —- with its six-story monument gate rivaling in beauty the great Roman triumphal arches found in great European cities, and adorned with bronze sculptures by world-renowned sculptors —- will bring to Atlanta beauty on par with that of any other city, anywhere.

The Millennium Gate project, as envisioned and planned by Rodney M. Cook Jr., president of the tax-exempt parent organization National Monuments Foundation Inc., is much more than a beautiful monument with attendant lawn, terrace and colonnade. Its underground structure will house a series of galleries incorporating exhibits and museum-class artifacts with a theme unique to Atlanta and other cities.

The Philanthropy Gallery, for example, will exhibit the central role that philanthropy has played in the history and the development of Atlanta and of the United States.

State-of-the-art technology will enable the visitor to "build" Atlanta by viewing and then adding or eliminating those structures and institutions —- of which there are many more than the average resident of Atlanta realizes —- that were created and supported by philanthropy.

Other galleries planned at The Millennium Gate will focus on the history of the site where the project sits. Traveling through its galleries, one will learn of the history of the Atlantic Steel Co. and its notable president and Atlanta mover and shaker from the first half of the 20th century —- Thomas K. Glenn —- and then how this former industrial site has been transformed into a nationally recognized example of new urban renewal.

The visitor will then learn how the history of this site fits with the history of Atlanta itself, and how our great city is an integral part of the fabric of America.

Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, who addressed those gathered for the Dec. 30 groundbreaking, spoke eloquently of the importance of monuments such as The Millennium Gate to cities such as Atlanta. Even more than the former speaker's considerable verbal eloquence, however, will be the majesty of this structure, which truly will echo for generations as the new Atlanta Sound.

One can also hope that its beauty will help us forget the "ATL, every day is an opening day" slogan for which the city's leadership recently spent considerable taxpayer dollars.

> Former congressman and U.S. Attorney Bob Barr practices law in Atlanta. Web site: www.bobbarr.org

mail@bobbarr.org

Old Posted Jan 3, 2007, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNofAtlanta View Post
One can also hope that its beauty will help us forget the "ATL, every day is an opening day" slogan for which the city's leadership recently spent considerable taxpayer dollars.
Ouch!!

Old Posted Jan 3, 2007, 3:44 PM

Quote:

By Bob Barr
For the Journal-Constitution

When finished by the end of 2008, The Millennium Gate —- with its six-story monument gate rivaling in beauty the great Roman triumphal arches found in great European cities, and adorned with bronze sculptures by world-renowned sculptors —- will bring to Atlanta beauty on par with that of any other city, anywhere.
This is so sad on so many levels...
Note to Bob--not too many "great Roman triumphal arches" in those "great European cities" serve as a gateway to IKEA and Target (and I bet you think they're jealous of us).

Old Posted Jan 3, 2007, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstoner View Post
This is so sad on so many levels...
Note to Bob--not too many "great Roman triumphal arches" in those "great European cities" serve as a gateway to IKEA and Target (and I bet you think they're jealous of us).
No, but many of those same arches were in the middle of cowfields when they were built. The whole concept or urbanism is that land uses are ephemeral, but civic structures should be legacies that define them. Ikea and Target (not to mention the foam buildings arround the park) won't be there forever.

"Atlanta - it's getting there."

Old Posted Jan 3, 2007, 4:21 PM

Why is it about 80% of this forum has a negative opinion on everything (AS, Millinium Gate, WOC.) Instead of saying "What I would have done" or "They should have done this instead," why not say "What can I do to make it better!" I'm glad we are getting The Gate. Do I think it could be in a better location, possibly (but I'll wait till its complete to make my final opinion just like the WOC) I'd still rather we have it where it is than not have it at all. Let the backlash begin!

Old Posted Jan 3, 2007, 5:11 PM

I agree with you completely.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2007, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLmangum View Post
Why is it about 80% of this forum has a negative opinion on everything (AS, Millinium Gate, WOC.) Instead of saying "What I would have done" or "They should have done this instead," why not say "What can I do to make it better!" I'm glad we are getting The Gate. Do I think it could be in a better location, possibly (but I'll wait till its complete to make my final opinion just like the WOC) I'd still rather we have it where it is than not have it at all. Let the backlash begin!
Why is it? My guess is that it is insecurity on the part of many people who constantly compare Atlanta to other cities' standards. Personally, I enjoy Atlanta's differences, and I'm glad that Atlanta is unique in many ways. I would agree with many that greater density can be desirable to a point. But what about our open spaces and many trees that other cities lack? And what about our ability to enjoy the many incredible views of our beautiful buildings? Things can always be improved, but I think it is important to appreciate Atlanta for the great city that it is -- and not just criticize it for what it clearly is not. Each year, tens of thousands of new Atlantans choose our city as their home. They apparently agree with you, as do I.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2007, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketsWork View Post
But what about our open spaces and many trees that other cities lack? And what about our ability to enjoy the many incredible views of our beautiful buildings?
And what about the overgrown "bum holes", overpasses, and parks that "house" our city's homeless population? And what about when they accost you when you're trying to enjoy the incredible aspects of this city? I'm not trying to argue here, I'm just trying to point out that our city has several positive and negative aspects. I agree that there are great parts of the city, but there are also areas that need improvement. And since every project discussed in these forums can affect the quality of the city, every viewpoint presented on here is valid. Everyone has a right to their opinion...even if they're wrong.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2007, 7:36 PM

Quote:
I think the arch is dumb (memorials memorialize something--you just don't put up something so you look "European" or "cultured" and then think up a reason afterwards) and the WOC just does not look attractive to me (but as I suggested in an earlier post, that doesn't bother me. I mean, it's the World of Coke ferchristssake). I hope you don't consider that "backlash"--it's not intended as such.
Yeah, there is a lot of negative opinion expressed in this forum--some of it mindless bitching but some of it mindful (?) bitching. Negative attitudes are not always signs of negativity. I'm sure when they wanted to plow the Freedom Parkway through Va Highlands and Druid Hills, the people who complained were called "negative." When they wanted to tear down the Fox, complainers were undoubtedly "negative." People (I'm not one of them) that protested the Mason buildings on Piedmont are described as "negative." Let me ask you: if you thought the Great Arch d'IKEA was silly (and I understand you don't) do you think you would be "negative" if you voiced opposition to it?
It's funny because I think almost the opposite: I think the mindless Atlanta boosters (and I'm not saying this is you) who think this is paradise are responsible for much of the mediocrity we have in Atlanta. People who just bitch about stuff because they are unhappy people are definitely a bummer, but lotus-eaters who are happy with every piece of crap that comes down the pike are just as much of a bummer. I think people should give their reasons for being either positive or negative--if they do that, and if they are sincere, I think they are making a contribution to the dialogue.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2007, 7:43 PM

Quote:
I personally feel like I'm not someone you are referencing with the negativity. Either way, I think expressing would have's or should have's is what I personally can to do make it better. The only thing past is pooling our voices together and mass emailing the appropriate people to express ourselves.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2007, 7:45 PM

IMO Atlanta is a fascinating, exciting city that cannot be compared with most other cities in the U.S. It has a very distinctive character that attracts many newcomers - maybe they don't know why - but the rapid growth is a fact. The thing that characterizes many of the "historic" cites (NYC, Chicago, etc. is that they too went through rapid stages of development that were at the time heavily criicized - especially the huge immigrant slums and the terrible health conditions - but they emerged from this period as great cities. It is hard to know where cities like Atlanta, Dallas, Phoenix, etc. will be when they have matured, but it is exciting to watch the development now taking place.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2007, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketsWork View Post
Why is it? My guess is that it is insecurity on the part of many people who constantly compare Atlanta to other cities' standards. Personally, I enjoy Atlanta's differences, and I'm glad that Atlanta is unique in many ways. I would agree with many that greater density can be desirable to a point. But what about our open spaces and many trees that other cities lack? And what about our ability to enjoy the many incredible views of our beautiful buildings? Things can always be improved, but I think it is important to appreciate Atlanta for the great city that it is -- and not just criticize it for what it clearly is not. Each year, tens of thousands of new Atlantans choose our city as their home. They apparently agree with you, as do I.
Interesting comment. I think the arch they are building SCREAMS cultural inferiority complex and insecurity. It BEGS that you compare Atlanta to other "civilized" places and it completely NEGATES the unique qualities of the place and its history.
I 100% agree with you that you shouldn't criticize Atlanta for what it is not, but the flip side of that is that we shouldn't mindlessly pretend to be what we aren't.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2007, 8:29 PM

Quote:
The Philanthropy Gallery, for example, will exhibit the central role that philanthropy has played in the history and the development of Atlanta and of the United States.

Other galleries planned at The Millennium Gate will focus on the history of the site where the project sits. Traveling through its galleries, one will learn of the history of the Atlantic Steel Co. and its notable president and Atlanta mover and shaker from the first half of the 20th century —- Thomas K. Glenn —- and then how this former industrial site has been transformed into a nationally recognized example of new urban renewal.

The visitor will then learn how the history of this site fits with the history of Atlanta itself, and how our great city is an integral part of the fabric of America.
Tombstoner, the above mentioned part of the monument doesn't "completely NEGATE the unique qualities of the place and its history." It sounds more like something unique to separate this monument from anything similar. I'm curious, how would you design a memorial that memorializes something because it sounds like to you any memorial "SCREAMS cultural inferiority complex and insecurity"?

Old Posted Jan 3, 2007, 9:23 PM

ATLmangum you are absolutely correct about this overwhelming negativity about things and how everything should be superior and unique. Yes you always strive to make anything you do your best and I practice that till it makes me sick in the head when working on projects; however, not everything is an icon or a classic because if it were then what would be unique then? I've expressed this back in the summer how it just gets so tiring and redundant to here the same crap. Atlanta is far from mediocre as is witnessed by its explosion in less than a 150 year history to the economic engine of the southeast and a true international city of business.

I'm not a mindless promoter of Atlanta at all; however, given it's short history and difficult times in it's past I think Atlanta has done a DAMN good job to achieve what it has and always has been criticized and considered the underdog many times but somehow has always made it to the top and shined.

The other issues about bums and homeless and this and that are no different than any other city in America I have traveled too or the cities in other countries I've visited. It's all in how you approach issues and what your focus is. Here it seems to me that the focus gets very petty about things that aren't real relevant in the world lots of times and that's what I refer to as bitching and overly negative. Also, people on here seem out of touch with the actual economic costs and all other aspects that must be considered when developments are proposed, budgeted and built. Furthermore, if everything was this perfect building and monument and street and all, where would we live? I doubt any of us writing on this forum could afford what many on here tend to promote incessantly. Such things as colors of buildings and the redundant use of green glass and blue glass and blank walls and the arch idea is copying Europe and not enough retail and how ugly Portman’s buildings are just seem excessive on the forums to me. Good grief, I’m not picking on anyone at all and not trying to offend but just asking for a little reality check sometimes. Express your opinions by all means but the world isn’t perfect because if it was it sure the hell would be awfully dull to live in. What would you have to learn and what experiences would change you if you couldn’t mix the bad, mediocre and good and how would you even have a perception of what was truly unique and superior?

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Old Posted Jan 3, 2007, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMidtowner View Post
Tombstoner, the above mentioned part of the monument doesn't "completely NEGATE the unique qualities of the place and its history." It sounds more like something unique to separate this monument from anything similar. I'm curious, how would you design a memorial that memorializes something because it sounds like to you any memorial "SCREAMS cultural inferiority complex and insecurity"?
Maybe a bit of rhetorical excess on my part but I think Barr's ccomments earlier in his speech make it very clear that he thinks this "monument" somehow links us to a glorious European tradition. Although it will apparently contain stuff relating to Atlanta (oh, good) there is nothing "organic" (can't think of a better word) about its form or siting. Tell me, how does a big-ass Roman triumphal arch speak to "Atlanta."

I have no idea why you think I'm saying any memorial is a sign of a cultural inferiority complex, so I really don't know how to address your second point.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2007, 12:00 AM
Apathetic...and Loving It

201 17th Progress

So anyway...

As I was leaving work today (around 4:30 PM), I managed to get these shots...

Lookin' good...

Old Posted Jan 4, 2007, 12:05 AM
Apathetic...and Loving It

201 17th Progress

Oops... Double Post

Last edited by sabino86; Jan 4, 2007 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Double Post

Old Posted Jan 4, 2007, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMidtowner View Post
And what about the overgrown "bum holes", overpasses, and parks that "house" our city's homeless population? And what about when they accost you when you're trying to enjoy the incredible aspects of this city? I'm not trying to argue here, I'm just trying to point out that our city has several positive and negative aspects. I agree that there are great parts of the city, but there are also areas that need improvement. And since every project discussed in these forums can affect the quality of the city, every viewpoint presented on here is valid. Everyone has a right to their opinion...even if they're wrong.
Those aren't the things I was talking about -- those are temporary problems that can be fixed in a hurry. And I believe they will be fixed when as intown Atlanta's demographics continue to shift toward productive residents. The mayor and council have at least taken the first steps, and they need to be encouraged with political cover to go much further.

The negativity that I was writing about concerns the overly picky attitudes toward almost every project built in Atlanta. Rarely is a project announced or built that is not disparaged as too open, park-like, suburban, cheap, light, dark, short (but never tall!), skinny, fat, sweet, sour, or otherwise insufficiently dense, urban or out of context. Such criticism is often quite harsh and personal toward the architect or developer, but always hurled from the sidelines by those who haven't risked their own fortunes to build their own dreams. I realize that in many cases it is just the exuberance and certainty of youth, but I just think that sometimes it's a little much. And that's why I agreed with ATLmangum.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2007, 1:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstoner View Post
I have no idea why you think I'm saying any memorial is a sign of a cultural inferiority complex, so I really don't know how to address your second point.
I didn't mean anything by it, I'm just curious what type of monument you would've done instead of an arch?

Old Posted Jan 4, 2007, 2:40 AM

ATL Lofts Question

For the people on here living in the ATL lofts, how is the noise, especially on the weekend? The movie theater combined with the long lines getting into strip on saturday night to the cruisers with bass, is it an issue?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta