HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Sep 14, 2023, 2:55 PM

The Yanks Are Comin'

RJ Corman has been contracted by CSX to install 136lb CWR at Mattawamkeag, Maine to the rest of New England, etc. The approximate route goes to Bangor, Waterville, Portland, and beyond.

https://youtu.be/JIebjOA7Hsc?si=ben55y7R7FMmEr0V

Some people think trains will be running this fall. The work is proceeding mostly from east to west I believe, so I hope so!

Last edited by Ottawa; Sep 14, 2023 at 2:56 PM. Reason: changed a small amount of wording.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2023, 3:06 PM
I Rise Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkharbour View Post
They're referring to the Harbourfront Residences condos, which are next to the Three Sisters Lamp, which has been around since at least the 1840s https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=145600
Ah ok, never heard of that before, although I don't know Saint John that well.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2023, 3:46 PM

It has to go. The city looks apocalyptic today. One and a quarter million feet of prime port space is occupied by this mess. I can't imagine DP World is thrilled.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2023, 3:58 PM
I Rise Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuptownsj View Post
It has to go. The city looks apocalyptic today. One and a quarter million feet of prime port space is occupied by this mess. I can't imagine DP World is thrilled.
I've often looked at PSJ through the lenses of Google Maps and have dreamt of this scenario of turning this into more container space and another dock for the Container Ships. Never know it might come true now if DPW is indeed not happy with this development. At least move it away from the city and some where's else. South of this area they could even make a fourth dock, where they keep the Tugg boats. One can only hope.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2023, 7:49 PM

AIM has to go

I just heard about this in the last hour. The fog has just made it impossible to see anything on the cams today. I don't listen to or watch any 'news'. I just came to the last page and unintentionally skipped all of the initial postings about AIM.

A few hours ago I was looking on marinetraffic.com and noticed what I believe was the NYK REMUS with it's stern swung away from the dock pivoting from the bow point. It's bow pointed directly at the dock - 90 degrees out of a normal position. I didn't think much about it except maybe they were using some alternate method of turning the ship to send it on it's way.

It's obvious now that they were getting the ship as far as possible from the fire and smoke and potentially hazardous substances.

AIM has outstayed their welcome.

They are an immediate health and safety hazard to their employees and a secondary health and safety hazard to every citizen of Saint John. They have demonstrated their lack of concern for the city and the people in it. This is not acceptable.

They should be shut down immediately and not let back into that premises except to vacate their stuff - after the investigation. The investigation can have no bearing on whether the business stays or goes. AIM has to go based on the threat they have today demonstrated to the health and safety of all residents, property, and business.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2023, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Seems like quite the fire!

https://i.cbc.ca/1.6966360.169469231...0/aim-fire.JPG

What will it take to get this industrial hell hole finally shut down for good???

There is no business having this eyesore, toxic waste dump, and fire and explosion hazard om the Saint John waterfront right across from the uptown peninsula. It needs to be gone yesterday!!!

I realize this is federal land under federal jurisdiction, but, Jesus Christ!! The mayor of SJ should make a direct appeal right to JT (for what good that would do)........
Absolutely agreed. They are a hazard wherever they are and don't belong anywhere near a residential area especially, or even any industrial area for that matter. Shutter the place and send them packing.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2023, 8:57 PM

Saint John EMO update as of 4:20 PM ADT

UPDATE: Shelter in place order expanded to include all Saint John due to concerns over air quality from fire at AIM facility
The SJ-EMO, on the advice of the Regional Medical Officer of Health, has expanded the current shelter-in-place order to include all residents of Saint John due to the fire at the AIM recycling facility. As a result of the industrial nature of the outdoor fire, air quality has been affected.

Public Health also strongly recommends that anyone who can see and smell smoke in neighbouring communities should shelter in place, until the fire is brought under control.

Residents are asked to remain in their homes, if possible. Closing all windows and doors is recommended as well as turning off HVAC systems.

It is recommended that if you are in an area where you smell smoke, you limit your time outside. Should you need to be outside, limit your time outdoors as much as possible. Wearing a well-fitted respirator mask, like an N95 and not a surgical mask, can help to reduce exposure to fine particles, but may not protect against other contaminants.

Emergency personnel have remained onsite since early this morning to contain the fire.

According to Dr. Rita Gad, Regional Medical Officer of Health, people can be affected by poor air quality and experience coughing, throat irritation, headaches, or shortness of breath. Children, seniors and people with cardiovascular or lung disease, such as asthma, are particularly at risk. People experiencing difficulty breathing or chest discomfort should consult their physician or contact Tele-Care 811. People in severe distress should always call 911 immediately.

Updated information will be provided through:

City of Saint John website: www.saintjohn.ca
City of Saint John social media channels: Facebook |Twitter
Port Saint John has activated their emergency operations and will also provide updates through their social media channels: Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Old Posted Sep 14, 2023, 9:45 PM

There it is at ~6:22PM ADT. AIM still burning to the ground never to be seen again - hopefully. An emergency shelter in place statement has been expanded to cover the entire city. The investigators need to put a short and long term cost on this and pin it right on AIM and/or their insurance company. And send them packing.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2023, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa View Post

There it is at ~6:22PM ADT. AIM still burning to the ground never to be seen again - hopefully. An emergency shelter in place statement has been expanded to cover the entire city. The investigators need to put a short and long term cost on this and pin it right on AIM and/or their insurance company. And send them packing.
Their shredding facility is untouched - it’s just the pile of scrap on fire.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2023, 11:59 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The city should be keeping a tally of all the costs, and then launch a lawsuit against all the culprits, up to and including the federal government, and, adding on a claim for pain and suffering.

The city should also sue AIM over any future transgression, no matter how small. SJ should pursue this to the point of becoming a vexacious litigant. Sooner or later AIM will get the message and bug out.

This has to stop.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2023, 1:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnguys View Post
Their shredding facility is untouched - it’s just the pile of scrap on fire.
It really doesn't matter. Their buildings are the least of their problems right now. I was more referring to their entire corporate image and the image of those that support their reckless, care-less, dangerous behaviour than a building or a pile of scrap.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2023, 1:07 AM

The Premier put out a statement:
Quote:
"The following statement was issued today by Premier Blaine Higgs on the fire in Saint John:

I know today has been a difficult day for tens of thousands of people in Saint John and the surrounding area as a result of the fire at the American Iron and Metal (AIM) scrapyard in Saint John. Your everyday lives have been disrupted and I share the concerns I know you have about what happened.

The focus at the moment is on getting the fire out and ensuring everyone’s safety. Firefighters and emergency crews have spent the day doing just that and they will continue until the fire is extinguished.

I want to assure you there will be a full investigation. As part of that investigation, AIM must submit a preliminary report within 24 hours of the event and a follow-up report within five days of the event. The investigation will take the time required and be thorough. There will be no consideration of resumption of operations until we have more information about what took place.

I know people are angry and want answers as to how this could happen. I want those answers as well and I am committed to sharing what we find out as soon as we are able.

Thank you to the firefighters and emergency crews who have responded along with J.D. Irving, Limited; Irving Oil; city officials; EMO; and the residents of greater Saint John who have been helping by checking on their loved ones and neighbours. I ask that everyone continues to follow the direction given from emergency officials to keep you safe".
https://www2.gnb.ca/content/gnb/en/n...BHMF5q3eBoF428

Also a statement from the Port CEO:

Quote:
"2023-09-14, 9:45pm
Statement from Craig Bell Estabrooks, Port Saint John President & CEO and Jack Keir, Port Saint John, Chair:

Port Saint John and its Board of Directors unequivocally support the Province of New Brunswick’s decision to immediately suspend operations at American Iron and Metal and conduct a full investigation. Port Saint John will provide any and all information that the Province requires.
We’ve heard the frustration, disappointment, and alarm from our community today. What happened is unacceptable. We are committed to working with the Province and our key stakeholders to ensure something like this doesn’t happen again.

Thank you to Fire Chief Clifford, the City of Saint John all first responders, and fire personnel as they continue to work on site. Appreciation also to J.D. Irving, Limited and Irving Oil for their invaluable support in providing their personnel and equipment.

We will be releasing more information once it’s available and are committed to keeping our community informed every step of the way".
https://www.facebook.com/PortSaintJo...nXmoWBvGGawywl

Old Posted Sep 15, 2023, 1:23 AM

Does anyone know what other port AIM has access to? My understanding is the metal on ship heads to Brazil (I believe) but where will it go if they can’t get it out of Canada?

Old Posted Sep 15, 2023, 2:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
The city should be keeping a tally of all the costs, and then launch a lawsuit against all the culprits, up to and including the federal government, and, adding on a claim for pain and suffering.

The city should also sue AIM over any future transgression, no matter how small. SJ should pursue this to the point of becoming a vexacious litigant. Sooner or later AIM will get the message and bug out.

This has to stop.
The federal government, as the lessor, is ultimately the enabler for AIM.

AIM has now put the entire city at risk under a necessary shelter-in-place emergency pronouncement from SJ EMO.

The federal government has to answer for letting AIM continue to do business after multiple warning signs.

AIM has proven they should be nowhere near any inhabited area, let alone in the center of Saint John. What does it take to get rid of this dangerous and toxic company from the center of the city?

The federal government recently pronounced that they want to identify and reduce all the things that endanger Canada's supply chain, such as washouts like the one that recently occurred near Truro. Here is their opportunity to do just that. Let's see how they do here and the public can determine if they really mean it.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2023, 2:58 AM

The investigation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyAm00394 View Post
It looks like we are getting a suspension of operations until an investigation is complete. I appreciate that.

We don't need an investigation to determine whether a company like AIM is harmful to anyone and everyone in their vicinity. That was proven without doubt today.

AIM has to go. It is not acceptable for them to remain in Saint John, or any other inhabited area.

The investigation should be focused on determining what caused the event, and how it will affect many, many people well into the future. I will call this a "lifetime event" for a lot of people with all kinds of repercussions.

The investigation needs to be geared to how much damage this has done to Saint John and it's citizens.

How is AIM going to recompense all those they have harmed today?

AIM has been ultimately disrespectful to the citizens of Saint John. Having a place at the port requires that you consider the citizens of the city, province and country ultimately above your own corporate interests. AIM has been a tenant on their land and has behaved very badly in that relationship after being given what I consider to be way too many chances. Today is the end result of that.

This has been an event waiting to happen since day one with AIM. After this, let's part ways and move on. There are much better days ahead for Saint John without AIM than with it.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2023, 3:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnguys View Post
Does anyone know what other port AIM has access to? My understanding is the metal on ship heads to Brazil (I believe) but where will it go if they can’t get it out of Canada?
That's their business. I don't care if they leave it on JT's doorstep.

I see lots of their cars on CPKC, CSX and CN trains. They have operations and move lots of it across the border if needed. I think they can look after that themselves. It's no excuse for them staying in Saint John.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2023, 12:01 PM

MP Wayne Long has made a statement:

Quote:
“ ⚠️⚠️ Firstly I want to thank Saint John Firefighters, Fire Chief Clifford, the City of Saint John, all first responders, and fire personnel as they continue to work on site.
Thank you also to JDI and Irving Oil for stepping up when help was needed.
The AIM situation is unacceptable in so many ways.

AIM has a 40 year lease with Port SJ for land, signed in 2002, and I’m told it’s iron clad. I’ve asked Transport Canada for clarification but the Port is an independent entity that negotiates and manages their own affairs which include leases. Transport doesn’t even have a copy of the lease. Nor should it. I’ve asked for a copy.

You must remember that when this lease was signed, the Port business was at a low point, ILA and everyone supported it. It was to support growth and jobs. No one thought this situation would happen.

So again for clarity, the port leases the land only and it’s unable to be broken according to them and lawyers. Where there is leverage is the license to operate with the Province. There are different options there through environment, workplace safety, etc.

I too am calling again for the operation to be moved from our waterfront and permanently be shut down here. I’ve told Transport Canada I want a greater understanding of how this can happen and my City is essentially held hostage.

I very much appreciated the Premiers letter last night. It’s time to take final action here. If I had the authority to shut this place down, I would unequivocally do it, but I can’t unfortunately”.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2023, 12:20 PM

Quote:
...everyone supported it. It was to support growth and jobs. No one thought this situation would happen.
I like Wayne a lot and appreciate the tone and information contained in this statement, but this is very revisionist history. There were a lot of people very vocally opposed to the AIM location from the start, but in the communities nearby (South End and Lower West) but also within City Hall. This was back in the PlanSJ initiation era and it was very clear at the time that AIM was using the Port's federal lands to get around the city's Industrial zoning regulations and avoiding paying the fair taxes for services that they should have owed for being a high-risk industrial operation. Noise, air and water pollution, and traffic were all concerns voiced at the time, and there was even attempted action taken through SJ Energy to try and deny AIM the power lines they needed to operate because it was seen as a bad development for the centre of the city.

I remember being in public meetings - and private ones too - where AIM and Herb Black were explicitly asked about fire risks and environmental concerns, and both were brushed off as alarmist and irrelevant because "we are a recycling company" or "it's just scrap metal". My point is that a great many people, including those in leadership positions, knew this was going to hamper our urban core's potential for rejuvenation or become a safety liability, but it was pushed through during a very low point in the city's historic and now we're stuck with these bad actors.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2023, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkharbour View Post
I like Wayne a lot and appreciate the tone and information contained in this statement, but this is very revisionist history. There were a lot of people very vocally opposed to the AIM location from the start, but in the communities nearby (South End and Lower West) but also within City Hall. This was back in the PlanSJ initiation era and it was very clear at the time that AIM was using the Port's federal lands to get around the city's Industrial zoning regulations and avoiding paying the fair taxes for services that they should have owed for being a high-risk industrial operation. Noise, air and water pollution, and traffic were all concerns voiced at the time, and there was even attempted action taken through SJ Energy to try and deny AIM the power lines they needed to operate because it was seen as a bad development for the centre of the city.

I remember being in public meetings - and private ones too - where AIM and Herb Black were explicitly asked about fire risks and environmental concerns, and both were brushed off as alarmist and irrelevant because "we are a recycling company" or "it's just scrap metal". My point is that a great many people, including those in leadership positions, knew this was going to hamper our urban core's potential for rejuvenation or become a safety liability, but it was pushed through during a very low point in the city's historic and now we're stuck with these bad actors.
How many organizations in this country have "ironclad" contracts with the federal government to operate without concern for environment, or health and safety, or economic disruption, or anything else?

One is too many.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2023, 9:29 PM

The NYK RUMINA skipped Saint John altogether. They're on their way to Southampton direct from Halifax. I see it's still on the DP World schedule but it's not going to happen.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces