HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup

Old Posted Oct 28, 2007, 10:31 PM
World Machine

Just want to give you guys a heads up. Chamberlin is not dead. I've been quite busy lately, and it shows no signs of letting up. Possibly sometime this week you'll see an update, if not, sorry.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 7:15 PM
World Machine

Exclamation

THE HUTCHINSON METRO AREA

I have decided to virtually redo Hutchinson and it's boroughs, and incorproate them with Chamberlin. I have made a map showing the boarders of the boroughs and their names. Chamberlin is NOT a borough of Hutchinson, being that it is in New Jersey, and the rest is in Delaware. However, due to it's vicinity, Chamberlin is still in the metro area.

Right now I am working on the grid system for Hutchinson (City Center). I am also working on roads, rail, and highways that connect the both cities. I will build the other boroughs later.

I will take breaks with the project once in a while like I have with Chamberlin, because school and work come first! However, over the next three weeks the college work load will drop (due to Thanksgiving) and it will allow me a lot more free time.

Here is the map I made of the Hutchinson Metro Area:

Yes, it is a lot of ground to cover, but this won't happen overnight. Expect updates frequently from now until the end of November. Then they will pick up again the second week of December.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 10:53 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

That is huge!!! La Corte is only like 6000 feet across and it already runs slow!! Does your city run fast or slow?

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 10:57 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks0o01 View Post
That is huge!!! La Corte is only like 6000 feet across and it already runs slow!! Does your city run fast or slow?
Right now it runs fast becuase theres no density on the land. As the city progresses though, I'm sure it'll run more slow.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2007, 4:40 PM
World Machine

Ok, I've filled 4 city blocks already with buildings, and am still working on the Hutchinson Grid. I'll show the buildings later, but for now here is a map showing some of Hutchinson's avenues.

And here is a view from Chamberlin, looking across the Hutchinson Bay, with Hutchinson in the distance.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2007, 5:15 PM
Registered Lurker

dac, i think you shrould really consider texturing. it's great now , but you know how much greaster it could be!? (with textures)

Old Posted Nov 3, 2007, 5:28 PM
World Machine

I am going to color in some of the buildings, and add some detail to the facades, but textures wouldn't be practical with my school laptop. They would also make everything run slow.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2007, 5:28 PM
World Machine

Started a new page. Here you go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
Ok, I've filled 4 city blocks already with buildings, and am still working on the Hutchinson Grid. I'll show the buildings later, but for now here is a map showing some of Hutchinson's avenues.

And here is a view from Chamberlin, looking across the Hutchinson Bay, with Hutchinson in the distance.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2007, 5:36 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

O.K. don't you think you can make a great long lasting city that's not big but nice! You probably use the same amount of memory on big cities that a small detailed city would use. Besides, small (not too small) detailed cities bring more attention.

Anyways, the updates are nice, the gap in between the two districts is nice too. I see a tower far away from Chamberlin, what tower is that?

Old Posted Nov 3, 2007, 5:47 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks0o01 View Post
O.K. don't you think you can make a great long lasting city that's not big but nice! You probably use the same amount of memory on big cities that a small detailed city would use. Besides, small (not too small) detailed cities bring more attention.

Anyways, the updates are nice, the gap in between the two districts is nice too. I see a tower far away from Chamberlin, what tower is that?
-That temporary building is there for proportional reasons. It will remain there until I have built enough buildings with diverse heights. Because of the distance its easy to build a tower in Hutchinson that would be way out of proportion in Chamberlin.

-I personally like big merto cities. That's just what I like to build. I like designing my own buildings and adding detail to them, instead of letting someone else's textures do it for me.

-What do you mean by "small,detailed cities bring more attention."?

Old Posted Nov 3, 2007, 5:55 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

Well more details bring more attention right? I only said the small part because a detailed city would not run fast if it was big. You can make your own windows, doors, etc...but it takes a while just to finish one building, that's what I'm doing on a new city.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2007, 6:03 PM
World Machine

If I can make this city as detailed as Chamberlin, then I'm in good shape. It'll just take while.

Here is a sneak peak of the Hutchinson skyline (that I've made so far) from the public plaza at the Chamberlin Stock Exchange:

Old Posted Nov 4, 2007, 4:02 PM
World Machine

Today's Update:

I started on some of the Hutchinson highrises. I will get more into their information later, but for now here are just some pics.

Looking down Carnegie Avenue with the TRI Building (my Metlife rip-off).

An ariel view:

Chamberlin in the distance:

Looking down at the KeyLife Global HQ:

The TRI Building (looking up from Venture Street):

Thats all for now. Enjoy.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2007, 4:30 PM

Yey!!!!!

My hat's off to you Dac! This is just what I was expecting!!

Aleks: Remember when I presented that first single hotel-tower extradetailed with yatchs and heavy texturing? The only way for it to develop into the Fairwinds township that it is today (just way...) was following your advice.
But my point is that I had the same conflict and discovered that you can't have a huge met area and a pretty detailed city at the same time. It's either or, and I don't see either above the other.

Dac, Now I finally see what you're up to and :

1) Use colors, they don't use up memory (think) and who likes it that the grey of the buildings be the same as the grey of the terrain. Some of your museums should be pastel for example.

2) Don't overdetail and never use textures, but thosde logos (lkike HSBC's MEtlife, lol!) and corporate sculptures are just great.

3) I love Chamberlin's skyline gazed from Hutchinson.

4) Build smaller islands on the bay for landmarks. A colonial fort wouldnt look bad, and neither some kind of a Collossus of Jersey.

5) Ports and airports look great, add to the met feeling, and they don't use up memory, just very simple forms.

6) Make a functional integrated public transport service. Think of South Candor's Subways.

All in all:

keep it up

Old Posted Nov 4, 2007, 4:31 PM

If SSP puts "donate to keep this city alive" Ads, would you quit school and make this your full occupation?

Old Posted Nov 4, 2007, 4:49 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by verticalextropy View Post
If SSP puts "donate to keep this city alive" Ads, would you quit school and make this your full occupation?
Now that would be cool doing sketchup for a living. But I would never do it. It's my dream to own my own real estate development corporation. I have every intent of following that dream and making it into a reality.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2007, 4:54 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Yey!!!!!

My hat's off to you Dac! This is just what I was expecting!!

Aleks: Remember when I presented that first single hotel-tower extradetailed with yatchs and heavy texturing? The only way for it to develop into the Fairwinds township that it is today (just way...) was following your advice.
But my point is that I had the same conflict and discovered that you can't have a huge met area and a pretty detailed city at the same time. It's either or, and I don't see either above the other.

Dac, Now I finally see what you're up to and :

1) Use colors, they don't use up memory (think) and who likes it that the grey of the buildings be the same as the grey of the terrain. Some of your museums should be pastel for example.

2) Don't overdetail and never use textures, but thosde logos (lkike HSBC's MEtlife, lol!) and corporate sculptures are just great.

3) I love Chamberlin's skyline gazed from Hutchinson.

4) Build smaller islands on the bay for landmarks. A colonial fort wouldnt look bad, and neither some kind of a Collossus of Jersey.

5) Ports and airports look great, add to the met feeling, and they don't use up memory, just very simple forms.

6) Make a functional integrated public transport service. Think of South Candor's Subways.

All in all:

keep it up
Wow, thank you very much. I'm glad you like it.

-I plan on doing only colors, but NO textures.
-Once I get the city (buildings) done I plan on building highways, rail lines, an airport, shipping ports, and everything elso that goes with a major city.
-A colonial fort is not a bad idea.
-All the corporate sculptures I like making, as well as the logos on the buildings. So i'll keep that up.
-And expect a bridge and a tunnel.

I'll show some more pics late today. Thanks again.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2007, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
Now that would be cool doing sketchup for a living. But I would never do it. It's my dream to own my own real estate development corporation. I have every intent of following that dream and making it into a reality.
u wouldnt believe how much I needed to hear that

Old Posted Nov 4, 2007, 5:11 PM
World Machine

Quote:
u wouldnt believe how much I needed to hear that
Dreams are a wonderful thing to have. I have (no lie) had this dream in my head since I was 12.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2007, 6:17 PM

ok now that you've opened that door:
I used to draw constantly as a kid, always (passenger) ships and buildings (usually hi-rises), then I would draw the ship's itineraire, imagine price per cabin, or place the bldgs in fantasy or real cities. I didn't know what I wanted to become: architect? naval designer? I didn't understand or knew the existence of the "developer".
Then when I turned 18 I dilluded myself, got in and out architecture, intl studies and now I'm stuck with economics (which I might drop in favor of marketing, or who knows), but after years of wasting my life I'm back to who I used to be
I got a lot to struggle ahead but I think I'm getting my dreams back

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup