HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 6:41 PM
METRO: Encanto

The groundbreaking for Muse was this morning. The Mayor and Councilwoman Pastor were there. Nothing new revealed, other than their commitment to fully leasing the 11,000 sq ft of retail. Announced tenants Press Coffee and Salon D’Shayn were there. Coffee and donuts by Press and Rollover Donuts.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
Some of you may have insight into this, but regarding the demolition of several "historic" (old) houses for this site, is anyone going to be salvaging anything from this project? Old windows? Doors? Hardware?

I mean, it's nothing too special, but I'm sure there is some worthwhile stuff in these old houses that would better be served anywhere than the dump.
The houses on the NWC of 3rd St and Thomas are coming down. I hope someone salvaged something. I looked over the fence and it didn't look like there was anything being cared for for salvage/recycling. I guess all that brick and wood and anything possibly neat from inside the houses will just head to the dump.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 11:46 PM
Modulator

Illuminate Crane is up

Check out this gorgeous view! Going to be even better when the Linear crane goes up!

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 11:56 PM

When the cranes go up for illuminati apartments, metrowest's building, and presumably enhance, there will sure be a lot going on.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2015, 9:17 AM

Salon D'Shayn is currently in the My Florist strip - kind of a draw in terms of gain/loss. Hopefully, a local tenant is found as a replacement to balance the amount of chains on that intersection. I would imagine a coffee shop to be around 2,000 sq ft and salon 4-5,000, leaving 5-6,000 square feet remaining. I'd like to see a restaurant/lounge catering toward the PAM/theatre audience. It's too bad McDowell downtown couldn't be redesigned, as once Muse and ArtHAUS are up, the 7th st - Central section will have a pretty continuous row of businesses. Would be nice to see the east portion of My Florist built and maybe a few other infill projects; but, I'd be more excited about anything east of Central that creates a walkable connection to Safeway plaza, the Park/Library, and moves development closer to the Miracle Mile stock around 16th St.

With minor tweaks, Baron's projects would be so great. So long as taller projects are built nearby, the scale seems appropriate directly on Roosevelt, iLuminate has a unique design fit for the 'hood, and Linear is generic yet will look classy next to the tackiness of Roosevelt Point. iLuminate is surrounded by retail at monOrchid, so the lack of mixed uses doesn't bother me too much - but a small museum dedicated to the history of the 301 building and/or to DeGrazia would have been nice. Linear, OTOH, extends a dead zone along Roosevelt through to Central essentially, and won't do much to help connect the "SoRoRo/McKinley Mile" businesses with its presence on 3rd St. 5 or so live/work units would have been great along 3rd St.

Roosevelt will look completely transformed once construction finishes up. Will be interesting to see which of the small, older buildings that remain will be redeveloped. I have no attachment to the structures between Central and Roosevelt, so wouldn't mind seeing any of them go so long as the businesses are incorporated into the new project(s), but I'd definitely like to see movement on the south side (either DWF or Revolver Records parcels), and maybe one day - that heinous garage on the north side along 1st St. I'd also like to see the Community Church fundraise and build a consignment shop/bookstore/library/community center/job training/etc. in a mixed use garage (or with parking on top) on its large parking lot.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2015, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
Would be nice to see the east portion of My Florist built and maybe a few other infill projects;
It's currently under construction right now... the building on the NWC of 5th Ave/McDowell looks really nice, however, what looks like the lack of entrances on McDowell or 5th Ave is a shame. Also, it's not one continuous building from the east side of My Florist to 5th Avenue, there is a new parking lot in between. Not completely idea, but what are you gonna do, it's better than nothing... unless you build underground parking, parking issues would prevent more lot coverage of building area, and that's way too expensive.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2015, 3:55 PM
METRO: Encanto

Quote:
It's currently under construction right now... the building on the NWC of 5th Ave/McDowell looks really nice, however, what looks like the lack of entrances on McDowell or 5th Ave is a shame. Also, it's not one continuous building from the east side of My Florist to 5th Avenue, there is a new parking lot in between. Not completely idea, but what are you gonna do, it's better than nothing... unless you build underground parking, parking issues would prevent more lot coverage of building area, and that's way too expensive.
Yes, I reported on that a couple of times. The new building is a Pet Club, paired nicely with the North Kenilworth veterinary place across 5th. They will have added some parking spaces and no more building is planned.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2015, 4:06 PM

As much as we all want to see street entrances, it makes sense to turn it around to the parking lot, 99% of people are going to drive there and they'll act annoyed if they can't find the entrance easily. 5th and McDowell is still suburban by most standards.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2015, 5:43 PM

/\Could do both.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2015, 6:36 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
and Linear is generic yet will look classy next to the tackiness of Roosevelt Point.
I know I'm probably opening a can of worms here, but it's pretty apparent you don't like Roosevelt Point. I think it's a decent looking building. It could have used some street retail or entrances on the 3rd Street side. But other than that, what is the issue you find in Roosevelt Point? Is it the overall design? Lack of street entrances or retail on the 3rd Street side? Too tall? Too short?

Just curious

Old Posted Dec 11, 2015, 7:04 PM

Quote:
/\Could do both.
It creates a difficult loss management issue that a lot of retailers aren't willing to deal with. If you have two exits the you either need to run two checkout counters or have a central location and trust employees to make sure no one walks out the far door. A lot of retailers aren't willing to sign a lease in these types of spaces and if they do they'll lock the door shut that is least frequently used.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2015, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
It creates a difficult loss management issue that a lot of retailers aren't willing to deal with. If you have two exits the you either need to run two checkout counters or have a central location and trust employees to make sure no one walks out the far door. A lot of retailers aren't willing to sign a lease in these types of spaces and if they do they'll lock the door shut that is least frequently used.
Yeah, I was actually thinking that they could be locked. And in the future who knows what will be desired by a tenant.

Mostly it just sucks that you have the historic block closer to 7th Ave looking awesome. And at first glance the new building seems to match and fit in well, until you see that it's basically a faux front with no doors.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2015, 3:00 PM
Skyriser

The 90-unit hotel at 3541 e van buren is being redeveloped into affordable housing by Chicanos Por La Causa.

5045 N 7th St is going through quite the odd rebuild now.

50 Units called "First Place" for autism supported housing on 3001 N 3rd St (NWC Catalina and 3rd St)

http://www.azcentral.com/story/money...ults/26539567/

[going on the board later]

http://abimultifamily.com/wp-content...ne-3Q-2015.pdf

Old Posted Dec 16, 2015, 5:43 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I was actually thinking that they could be locked. And in the future who knows what will be desired by a tenant.

Mostly it just sucks that you have the historic block closer to 7th Ave looking awesome. And at first glance the new building seems to match and fit in well, until you see that it's basically a faux front with no doors.
Sorry for missing your posts on this pbenjamin; thanks everyone for filling me in. The original plans called for a replication of the original building, which while iffy from an HP POV, would have been great w/ multiple tenants and street entrances. Of course people would prefer to walk in closer to their car, but that's not a valid excuse for poor design. 5th Ave and McDowell is absolutely urban - or, at least part of a low-density urban neighborhood center. Every other project has done fine adapting to urban design standards... it's definitely unfortunate that this one hasn't.

RonnieFoos - I'll try to be brief. I don't hate Roosevelt Point-- it fills a void of student housing options downtown, is tall and dense, and helped fill time as the market recovered. But, the design has several flaws. Aesthetically, the orange and green colors were an obvious attempt at being artistic but I would have preferred a more traditional looking project with real art integrated- such as the copper work and mural planned fr iLuminate. I'm glad both Roosevelt storefronts have finally been leased, but the ground level overall is weak. Retail should have continued onto 4th and 3rd to connect RRow to the northern end of downtown. I'm glad they added retail along the 4th street garage but 1. I really think garages in 2015 should be much more integrated and 2) it's hard to imagine what kind of uses would lease those spaces and still make sense in the context of Bliss, etc. Lastly, they wouldn't have known then that Proxxy would add live/work lining McKinley and 4th St, but live/work on at least the McKinley frontage would have helped connect the projects and add activity to McKinley. I'm glad it was built, but am glad it will no longer be such a prominent focal point.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2015, 6:16 AM
Skyriser

I just realized that Alta Fillmore is three-quarters as dense as Alta Camelback, despite its downtown location.

Anyone have pictures of Alta Fillmore under construction tho? I always hated that building that was there before.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2015, 9:56 AM
Skyriser

Soleil on 7th, S/SWC 7th St and Maryland (6316 N 7th St), 27 townhomes on 1.9 acres, 2 - 3 stories
https://www.phoenix.gov/pddsite/Documents/Z-75-15n.pdf
Replaces a farmhouse built in 1934

Old Posted Dec 26, 2015, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
I just realized that Alta Fillmore is three-quarters as dense as Alta Camelback, despite its downtown location.

Anyone have pictures of Alta Fillmore under construction tho? I always hated that building that was there before.
I was driving by today and nabbed a couple shitty pictures.

Last edited by muertecaza; Dec 27, 2015 at 4:41 AM.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2015, 2:17 AM
Skyriser

Thanks! But you gotta save those images out of Google and rehost them somewhere so I can see them!.

Imgur.com is really good, or if you email them to me at combusean@gmail.com I can post them.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2015, 3:03 AM

It's weird, I saw them earlier but couldn't figure out how.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2015, 4:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
It's weird, I saw them earlier but couldn't figure out how.
Same with me. I don't know what's going on.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest