HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 11, 2016, 4:55 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Is Sutton Place a sure thing? They were kind of noncommittal about it at the TNS announcement... has there been any progress on it since then?
To be fair I think that Sutton place has as much chance or better than skycity of going ahead

Old Posted Apr 11, 2016, 7:38 PM
Create and Conquer

I have an estimate height for Sutton place already, I just never had the chance to make a diagram for it.

I'll put the kmz files up now that I know people are looking for them as well ((:

About glasshouse though... A long time ago I tried to submit a more accurate version that was around the height of alt and it got rejected... Since then I ignored it but I can probably fix that later today.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2016, 7:40 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
To be fair I think that Sutton place has as much chance or better than skycity of going ahead
I beg to differ on that. Sky city has almost hit its sales mark. Sutton has zero
Sky city has a sales centre. Sutton has nothing.
Sky city has permits out. Sitting has none
Also hearing that Artis is friendly with Skycity kinda says something about it being built.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2016, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRiToNDREyJA View Post
I have an estimate height for Sutton place already, I just never had the chance to make a diagram for it.

I'll put the kmz files up now that I know people are looking for them as well ((:

About glasshouse though... A long time ago I tried to submit a more accurate version that was around the height of alt and it got rejected... Since then I ignored it but I can probably fix that later today.
Thanks Triton! You're doing great work!

Is there another website they can be downloaded from? I remember it was on the Sketch up site or something??

Old Posted Apr 11, 2016, 8:30 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
I beg to differ on that. Sky city has almost hit its sales mark. Sutton has zero
Also hearing that Artis is friendly with Skycity kinda says something about it being built.
I hope you're right but given true north/ longboat's track record I'd still bet more on them. Just look at the whole capital Pointe debacle in Regina. Same folks as skycity no?

Old Posted Apr 11, 2016, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Sutton place is a hotel. How on earth would there be pre-sales? Or why would there be a sales centre?

Old Posted Apr 11, 2016, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no use for username View Post
Sutton place is a hotel. How on earth would there be pre-sales? Or why would there be a sales centre?
Good question, but there is a condo tower element to the Sutton Hotel component of TNS.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2016, 8:57 PM
Create and Conquer

glasshouse is fixed, sutton is in building requests with drawing ready, and a better version of alt is awaiting approval

Old Posted Apr 11, 2016, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
I hope you're right but given true north/ longboat's track record I'd still bet more on them. Just look at the whole capital Pointe debacle in Regina. Same folks as skycity no?
Capital Pointe looks to be underway now. They're digging a hole. We'll see how long it keeps up!

But it would seem that SkyCity will reach it's condo sales target. Which would make a strong case for the tower going ahead.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2016, 11:36 PM
Create and Conquer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Capital Pointe looks to be underway now. They're digging a hole. We'll see how long it keeps up!

But it would seem that SkyCity will reach it's condo sales target. Which would make a strong case for the tower going ahead.
Personally, i am surprised how well SkyCity has progressed. From my average (but still somewhat ignorant) point of view, it seems that it's all set to happen. Within 50 units of their sales target, and really having presence in the news of downtown Winnipeg.

As for the Sutton, I have no idea how hotels go from proposal to building but I can't find any reason to compare it's chances to skycity's. The contexts seem too different to compare in my eyes.

Aside from the speculation, i came across pictures of central park. The view here really seems foreign to me, it makes it seem like we have another completely separate downtown. The city is incredibly underphotographed IMO

SOURCE: http://www.winnipeglovehate.com

I wonder what the same picture would look like on a frosty winter day.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2016, 12:35 AM
BANNED

Summer...I wan to focus on summer: no more winter, hahaha.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2016, 12:44 AM
Create and Conquer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
Summer...I wan to focus on summer: no more winter, hahaha.
Damn.. You're right... I probably just earned us another surprise flurry

Old Posted Apr 12, 2016, 4:23 AM
Ignore these four words.

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRiToNDREyJA View Post
Personally, i am surprised how well SkyCity has progressed. From my average (but still somewhat ignorant) point of view, it seems that it's all set to happen. Within 50 units of their sales target, and really having presence in the news of downtown Winnipeg.

As for the Sutton, I have no idea how hotels go from proposal to building but I can't find any reason to compare it's chances to skycity's. The contexts seem too different to compare in my eyes.

Aside from the speculation, i came across pictures of central park. The view here really seems foreign to me, it makes it seem like we have another completely separate downtown. The city is incredibly underphotographed IMO

SOURCE: http://www.winnipeglovehate.com

I wonder what the same picture would look like on a frosty winter day.
This was photographed from 411 Cumberland, I'm supposing. But man, I love this shot. We don't get to see downtown from this vantage point too often.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2016, 1:29 PM
Ignore these four words.

Glasshouse and the Alt are now side by side in the diagrams section. Glasshouse just slight taller if we go by the diagram.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2016, 1:37 PM

It's nice to see a few fresh diagrams among the top 25 buildings... for quite a while there was nothing really new, but now 9 out of the top 25 are from within the last 7 years.

A couple of comments re: the diagrams though, I wonder if the James Avenue Pumping Station Tower should be recategorized as cancelled? Also, now that the Sutton Place Hotel has been added in the list, is the condo tower going to be added too?

Finally re: 411 Cumberland, I don't know too many details about it but from visiting there a couple of times I always had the impression that building offered really good bang for the buck. Gorgeous views, convenient location, pretty quiet and decent if outdated suites for barely over a hundred grand. Until a couple of years ago, you could find suites in there for the price of a new Chevy.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2016, 1:46 PM
Ignore these four words.

I've been to a suite, can't remember which floor, but the exposure was to the North. I must say, it was not as spectacular as what we see above. I wonder if the suites on the south side of the building cost more.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2016, 4:32 PM

Quote:
I'm not surprised the sales numbers for SkyCity are so good. The location is much better than Glasshouse and it will be connected to the skywalk system. Around the Glasshouse location there seems to be a lot of vagrants. Nearby at the Air Canada Centre there are always individuals asking for money and down by MEC many times there's someone passed out. SkyCity is close to the Forks which is a bonus but also since it will be connected to the skywalk it will be easy to get to the MTS Centre and Convention Center as well.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2016, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownBooster View Post
I'm not surprised the sales numbers for SkyCity are so good. The location is much better than Glasshouse and it will be connected to the skywalk system. Around the Glasshouse location there seems to be a lot of vagrants. Nearby at the Air Canada Centre there are always individuals asking for money and down by MEC many times there's someone passed out. SkyCity is close to the Forks which is a bonus but also since it will be connected to the skywalk it will be easy to get to the MTS Centre and Convention Center as well.
Hard to argue...I'm actually a little surprised that Glasshouse sold as well as it did considering the location. I think that the panhandling/derelicts issue is a little overstated when it comes to downtown but there's no arguing that the stretch of Portage from PP to about Smith Street (right by Glasshouse) is ground zero for that kind of thing.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2016, 10:15 PM
digital b0y

Awesome work on the Winnipeg diagrams, TRiToNDREyJA . Keep it up !

a political policy characterized by inertia and antipathy to change

Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 1:37 PM
Ignore these four words.

Sutton Place Hotel is now included in the diagrams! Once again, thanks Triton.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan