HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 25, 2023, 1:01 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I love when mainland networks that don't exist here cover us It's always... you can feel the reporter thinking "wtf?"

These Newfoundland raincoats are in Vogue

Quote:
Born out of frustrations with a classic Newfoundland problem -- rain, sleet and snow that seems to come from every direction -- Maria Halfyard’s extra-long raincoats are making waves on another rainy island.

Her fashion brand, mernini, is getting a shoutout in December’s edition of the U.K.’s Vogue Magazine, in its Designer Profile.

"They have it in the mail and they sent me three copies," Halfyard said. "I’ve got 10 others coming from another contact of mine that just went to a store in London to buy a bunch."

"I’m going to frame it, give some to my family."

Halfyard said the British magazine initially approached her, after seeing some of her colorful pieces and photos on social media.

According to the writers of Vogue Magazine, Halfyard’s mernini brand "blends traditional lines with modern detail to create exquisite pieces."

Magazine staff wrote, "mernini embodies the resiliency of its people and the colourful vignettes of its environment."

It’s high praise for a fashion designer who balances her upcoming brand with a full-time job in business research and development.

Halfyard keeps a pretty simple fashion lineup: Her brand sells a full-length, 48-inch-long coat, a "petite" 42-inch-long coat, and one type of vest.

The designer said she was inspired by rain gear worn by Newfoundland and Labrador fish harvesters.

"You know, we have some of the … harshest weather in the Atlantic," she said. "And what they wear is probably the best rain gear out there."

And much like the homes of Gower Street, Queens Road and Duckworth Street, she offers a plethora of colours.

"You don’t want to be dull on a gray day, so I always say if you want to blend in around here, you’ve got to stand out."

Halfyard said she’s been working on her coats for the better part of a decade, finally launching them around the start of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Her first retail deal involved a bit of good luck: she was walking into a downtown St. John’s store when one of the owners took notice of her coat.

"Long story short, I told her, well when you create them, we want to have them here," said Jaclyn Gruchy, who owns Twisted Sisters Boutik in downtown St. John’s, alongside her sister and business partner.

"Some people are purchasing them because they’re in and out of work all day, appointments and things, and then others are purchasing them for walking their large dogs," she said. "It’s an interesting mix."

Now that mernini’s gotten a bit of exposure, Halfyard said it will soon be time to push into other markets with similar types of weather — Scotland and Norway for example.

"This was kind of before I intended, but it could be a catalyst for going international."
https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/these-...ogue-1.6656028

Also, admittedly aspirational, but still... accurate:

Quote:
"You don’t want to be dull on a gray day, so I always say if you want to blend in around here, you’ve got to stand out."
Love that.

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Nov 25, 2023 at 1:20 AM.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2023, 1:52 AM

So one thing I have really noticed of late living in Japan is that the influence of Hollywood has been fading quite rapidly in the general culture. Older productions and franchises are still known, but newer releases are not as widely known anymore. I feel this is part of a general decline in Hollywood of originality and relatability. I also started thinking on how this can clearly be seen in memorable movie themes. Nearly all of them are from pre 2005. So I took to the streets in Japan and did a little ground truthing. For an embarrassing laugh you can also hear my Japanese language skills in this video (it is in both English and Japanese)

Video Link

Old Posted Dec 1, 2023, 10:10 PM
be nice to the crackheads

^Love that you hit the streets, Metro. Great video!

Thrasher came to Western Canada, and did some mighty fine skating from Calgary to Vancouver.

Video Link

Old Posted Dec 4, 2023, 2:39 AM

Myles Goodwyn, former April Wine singer, dead at 75
Musician played his last show with the band in March, but was still helping manage the band
Richard Woodbury CBC News December 3, 2023

Nova Scotia musician Myles Goodwyn, who stepped down earlier this year as the singer of April Wine, died Sunday.

The 75-year-old's death was confirmed by his publicist, Eric Alper.

The cause of death is unclear.

Goodwyn, who lived in the Halifax area, achieved many feats with April Wine, including selling more than 10 million albums worldwide and receiving 11 Juno nominations. April Wine was inducted into Canada's Walk of Fame earlier this year. Goodwyn was also inducted into the Canadian Songwriters Hall of Fame.

He told CBC News earlier this year that the latter induction was his proudest achievement.

"This one's for me, and songwriting is what I care for most of all…. I think, probably, I stayed in the business because of songwriting," he said. "I'm not the greatest singer, the greatest guitar player. I'm not the greatest songwriter either, but I took great pride in being able to write songs that were popular."

April Wine songs such as Tonite Is a Wonderful Time to Fall in Love, Roller and Just Between You and Me are an essential part of Canadiana.

While Goodwyn fronted April Wine for more than five decades, his last show with the band was March 2 in Truro, N.S. He continued to be involved with the group, helping manage the band and write material for a new album.

Goodwyn told CBC earlier this year that he was tired of travelling in airports and living out of a suitcase.

"The lifestyle is not healthy for me anymore," said Goodwyn, who had diabetes.

Previous health issues

In 2008, he was hospitalized after he collapsed on his way to a Quebec airport. Alcohol abuse had taken its toll; Goodwyn had internal bleeding and nearly died.

After months of rehab, Goodwyn said he realized there were things he wanted to do, such as write an autobiography, Just Between You and Me, which was released in 2016, and put out a blues album, Myles Goodwyn And Friends of the Blues.

One of the songs on that album was called I Ain't Gonna Bath In the Kitchen Anymore, an autobiographical tune that referenced childhood details such as the lack of running water at their Waverley, N.S., home and hitchhiking to church on Sundays.

While Goodwyn was born in New Brunswick, he was raised in Nova Scotia. He also lived in Quebec for decades.

Goodwyn told CBC earlier this year that he wasn't ready to truly retire.

"I still don't want to give all that up," he said. "I can't imagine the day when I don't do these things."

Video Link

Old Posted Dec 4, 2023, 7:52 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

If anyone here doesn't value six hours of their life, here is a disassembly of one of Canada's largest queer youtubers, James Somerton, being done in two videos.

One by hbomberguy

Video Link

The other by Todd In The Shadows.

Video Link

Old Posted Dec 4, 2023, 3:34 PM
be nice to the crackheads

I've been watching the Hbomberguy video, and wow, that James fellow is a huge piece of garbage. I've never heard of him before, but what an absolute tool - as well as a plagiarist, a thief, a liar, a wannabe victim, and an all around asshole.

Nice to see people like this get their comeuppance.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2023, 7:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Myles Goodwyn, former April Wine singer, dead at 75
Musician played his last show with the band in March, but was still helping manage the band
Richard Woodbury CBC News December 3, 2023

Nova Scotia musician Myles Goodwyn, who stepped down earlier this year as the singer of April Wine, died Sunday.

The 75-year-old's death was confirmed by his publicist, Eric Alper.

The cause of death is unclear.

Goodwyn, who lived in the Halifax area, achieved many feats with April Wine, including selling more than 10 million albums worldwide and receiving 11 Juno nominations. April Wine was inducted into Canada's Walk of Fame earlier this year. Goodwyn was also inducted into the Canadian Songwriters Hall of Fame.

He told CBC News earlier this year that the latter induction was his proudest achievement.

"This one's for me, and songwriting is what I care for most of all…. I think, probably, I stayed in the business because of songwriting," he said. "I'm not the greatest singer, the greatest guitar player. I'm not the greatest songwriter either, but I took great pride in being able to write songs that were popular."

April Wine songs such as Tonite Is a Wonderful Time to Fall in Love, Roller and Just Between You and Me are an essential part of Canadiana.

While Goodwyn fronted April Wine for more than five decades, his last show with the band was March 2 in Truro, N.S. He continued to be involved with the group, helping manage the band and write material for a new album.

Goodwyn told CBC earlier this year that he was tired of travelling in airports and living out of a suitcase.

"The lifestyle is not healthy for me anymore," said Goodwyn, who had diabetes.

Previous health issues

In 2008, he was hospitalized after he collapsed on his way to a Quebec airport. Alcohol abuse had taken its toll; Goodwyn had internal bleeding and nearly died.

After months of rehab, Goodwyn said he realized there were things he wanted to do, such as write an autobiography, Just Between You and Me, which was released in 2016, and put out a blues album, Myles Goodwyn And Friends of the Blues.

One of the songs on that album was called I Ain't Gonna Bath In the Kitchen Anymore, an autobiographical tune that referenced childhood details such as the lack of running water at their Waverley, N.S., home and hitchhiking to church on Sundays.

While Goodwyn was born in New Brunswick, he was raised in Nova Scotia. He also lived in Quebec for decades.

Goodwyn told CBC earlier this year that he wasn't ready to truly retire.

"I still don't want to give all that up," he said. "I can't imagine the day when I don't do these things."

Video Link

Excellent Post....One of my favorite Bands of all time.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2023, 7:09 AM

Old Posted Dec 6, 2023, 3:00 AM

Reader's Digest Canada to bite the dust next year after publishing for 76 years. We always had a subscription (also to Chatelaine and Macleans) when I was growing up.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2023, 3:52 AM

Old Posted Dec 6, 2023, 4:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Reader's Digest Canada to bite the dust next year after publishing for 76 years. We always had a subscription (also to Chatelaine and Macleans) when I was growing up.
I guess this December 1st, 2023 RDC article was overly optimistic:

Quote:
"Why Printed Books Are Simply Better Than E-Readers: Technology may have taken over, but fans of old-fashioned books know a well-stocked bookshelf will always reign supreme."

Old Posted Dec 6, 2023, 6:11 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Star View Post
Excellent Post....One of my favorite Bands of all time.
X2 - Classic songs from my youth - love April Wine - RIP Myles - thanks for the great songs.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2023, 8:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
we had that when I was growing up too, we also used to get this one every week it was a roundup of South African news, and my parents got them for years. Which leads me to ask if anyone here who had a family that immigrated to Canada, did they get any such magazine subscriptions from their old country. My friend's mom was from England and she used to get something similar about English things.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2023, 10:53 PM

I posted this in the CBC thread as well, but there were some radio ratings info that came out today for the five largest markets in Canada:

https://broadcastdialogue.com/fall-2...gary-edmonton/

The data is gathered using portable people meters, and not through the old diaries that some people may remember filling out with all their radio or TV consumption over the course of a week.

Perhaps most surprising, especially for younger people, is that radio reach is 85% nationally. A lot of people these days think "no one" listens to radio anymore.

Also surprising is how high the share for some stations is in these cities, even for AM radio. For example, CKNW 980 is the highest one for Vancouver, and it's just over 15%.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2023, 11:01 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
X2 - Classic songs from my youth - love April Wine - RIP Myles - thanks for the great songs.
I once took a flight on Westjet from Ottawa to Winnipeg a few years ago and April Wine was on it, sitting in economy class just like me. It was awesome.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2023, 11:18 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

There's a pub in town called The Newfoundland Embassy. It's not a separatist establishment like The Republic; it's just a sports pub. I was there just the other night:

Flags out front are Ireland, Newfoundland, Canada, Newfoundland and Labrador, Labrador. So everyone's welcome. (An aside, I really think we should make the separate Newfoundland and Labrador flags our official flags, always have two displayed together at equal height, another oddity like our timezone. They look well together, and are far superior in people's hearts than our 1980s official provincial one. The only people I know who like that flag are the type of people who will earnestly comment on a picture of anything generic that could be anywhere, a kid doing something silly or someone paying for someone else's coffee in the drive-through, with "oNlY in NEWFOUNDLAND!!!!!!!").

But the owners are... I think late 30s? and from downtown, so leftist, fun, etc. They keep getting inquiries from all sorts of people related to immigration, passport renewal, etc. and they actually humour them, put them in touch with the right people, etc. It's a really cute thing.

The food, though... it's a bit like a packed lunch for school when you were a kid. But reliable.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2023, 7:48 AM

Old Posted Dec 14, 2023, 4:11 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Old Posted Dec 14, 2023, 11:25 PM

Interesting times in the world of Canadian art.

VAG finally admitted that its J.E.H. MacDonald oil sketches are fakes. These are the ones that were supposedly buried for many years.

The fraudster who ran the flooding of the market with fake Norval Morrisseau's has been convicted.

I suppose it's a good thing, in a perverse way, that Canadian art is considered worth faking.

Last edited by kwoldtimer; Dec 14, 2023 at 11:37 PM.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2023, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Nobody drowns in a hot tub (except perhaps a toddler or infant). There has to be an underlying cause. It might have been a medical issue such as a cardiac arrhythmia, heart attack or stroke.

Or, Perry could have relapsed in his drug abuse problems, and was stuporous to the point of being defenseless.
Matthew Perry died from the effects of ketamine, autopsy report says
Andrew Dalton The Associated Press/ctvnews.ca December 15, 2023

Matthew Per/y died from the acute effects of the anesthetic ketamine, according to the results of an autopsy on the 54-year-old "Friends" actor released Friday.

The Los Angeles County Department of Medical Examiner said in the autopsy report that Perry also drowned in "the heated end of his pool," but that it was a secondary factor in his Oct. 28 death, deemed an accident.

People close to Perry told investigators that he was undergoing ketamine infusion therapy, an experimental treatment used to treat depression and anxiety. But the medical examiner said the levels of ketamine in Perry's body were in the range used for general anesthesia during surgery, and that his last treatment one and a half weeks earlier wouldn't explain those levels. The drug is typically metabolized in a matter of hours.

The report says coronary artery disease and buprenorphine, which is used to treat opioid use disorder, also contributed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada