HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
He complained one season, when they were at the very bottom of the standings. All MLS teams in Canada are growing and now have better attendance than their local CFL teams. Not bad for franchises that have only been in the league for a few years. Even your blue bo,bers have experienced declining attendance, but keep trolling.
Why do you cheer for the CFL's demise? Will you feel frustrated when it will still be around years from now?

Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 2:18 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Why do you cheer for the CFL's demise? Will you feel frustrated when it will still be around years from now?
There you go again, projecting fantasies onto my comments. Where did I say I wanted the CFL's demise, I couldn't give a rats ass whether it lives or dies, but while it's alive I actually take an interest in it from a sports business standpoint. What I have done is respond to a CFL fanboy who comes on here only to make negative statements about soccer or our Canadian teams (I know Jays and Raptors fans who hold similar views as CFL fans are apparently talking smack and hating on them too), I see nothing wrong with putting a mirror up to him and showing him how wrong he is. That you choose to ignore his behaviour and only focus on my response to it shows how irrational and narrow minded you are, it's part of a pattern with you. Only focusing on one side of the equation. I don't give a damn about CFL style football anymore (and I played football in elementary and highschool, not soccer) because most of their fans show themselves to be irrational, out of touch, living in the past yokels.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 3:28 PM

Quote:
I don't give a damn about CFL style football anymore (and I played football in elementary and highschool, not soccer) because most of their fans show themselves to be irrational, out of touch, living in the past yokels.
Yet you take shots and generalize all CFL fans because of a few guys on a forum! Just like some CFL fans have painted all TFC fans as Argo hating, soccer loving sychophants.

I am a BC Lions season ticket holder and a Whitecaps fan (and try to go to a few games a year). I want both teams and both leagues to succeed. Both are underdogs in the NA sports market; most guys make (except the odd player and DPs) what I make and I feel I can relate to them a lot more.
I think both leagues do what most major sports do not do in NA and that is relate to the fans and appreciate them more.
Does the CFL need to improve its attendance, especially in Tor, MTL and Van - YES
Does the MLS need to improve its TV numbers in Canada and the US - YES

If both of those do not happen, both will not grow long term.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 3:43 PM

In the big 3 centres the MLS has the demographics on their side. Younger and more diverse pockets of Canadians are naturally more drawn to soccer.

They will continue to see steady growth at the gates. I don't think MLS will ever be a major TV draw as TV is less and less important going forward for younger fans with internet and second screen/stream type services. These younger soccer fans consume soccer of all types in various different ways but when they want to have some beers and jump around they will head down to the local MLS squad to watch a match.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 4:37 PM

As a resident of Ottawa, I couldn't care less about MLS. I am happy the MTL TOR and VAN have a team, but I am not going to cheer for any of them or watch a game on TV. I know, there are bandwagonners for the Blue Jays and Raptors, but I cannot get excited for a 'Toronto' team and the more that Rogers tries to push these teams as 'Canada's team, the more I push back. It is not in the interest of sports fans in this country, to hope for the demise of any professional league. If the CFL were to fail, the likelihood of the NFL coming to Canada in any city beyond Toronto is zero.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 11:53 PM

Quote:
He complained one season, when they were at the very bottom of the standings. All MLS teams in Canada are growing and now have better attendance than their local CFL teams. Not bad for franchises that have only been in the league for a few years. Even your blue bo,bers have experienced declining attendance, but keep trolling.
Having a different opinion with articles to back it up is not trolling.

The Impact were drawing larger crowds at Olympic Stadium in their earlier years than now. Saputo commented on the disappointing crowd at Olympic Stadium this spring.

http://www.mountroyalsoccer.com/2016...lympic-stadium

And their crowds were in decline after the first season or two due to poor performance, after which they increased with the signing of Drogba and fielding a better team. Given the fickle nature of the Montreal sports fan, I think we will continue to see good attendance numbers there, but if the team regresses - which they may very well do as Drogba ages and retires - then we will probably see several crowds in the 14-15,000 range as was the case just a few years ago.

Maybe you should look at the Bombers' record the past 5 years to understand why their attendance is declining.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2016, 7:57 PM
ハルウララ

Can we stop with the asinine CFL/MLS debates? They're beyond annoying. Thanks.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2016, 1:21 AM
ハルウララ

2nd consecutive sellout (20,801) and sixth of the season for Montreal Impact tonight at Saputo hosting Philadelphia.

26,349 on hand at BMO as TFC hosts DC United. This is Toronto's seventh game with an attendance of 25K+ which sets a new record surpassing 2015's six games at 25K+. They have nine home matches remaining.

With tonight's matches both teams are now north of 200K for the season. Montreal sits at 21,472/match with Toronto at 27,793.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2016, 5:46 AM
Go Chiefs!

Finally a game I enjoyed watching. A good 5-1 spanking on Philadelphia. This is a more logical scoreline for a team that has Piatti and Drogba in it. With 35 goals scored this season, we finally took our spot as #1 offense in the MLS. It took longer than I thought.

2nd career MLS hat trick for Didier Drogba!!!
Video Link

Piatti is also giving Giovinco a run for its money in the MVP race.

Giovinco: 11 goals, 7 assists (19 games)
Piatti: 12 goals, 5 assists (18 games)

if he didn't miss a few games, Drogba would be running away with the Golden Boot award.
Drogba: 8 goals, 5 assists (12 games)

Old Posted Jul 25, 2016, 5:31 AM
Go Chiefs!

Impact bring back their 2nd DP ever (after Di Vaio) in Hernan Bernadello. A defensive midfielder is EXACTLY what we need.

Also added Matteo Mancosu this month from the Italian Serie A which gives us great depth at the forward position after Drogba. Scored his first goal in his first game yesterday (coming in as a sub).

We're going all in. Now is the time to win the MLS Cup!

Old Posted Jul 25, 2016, 10:20 PM

Quite the weekend for Gianvinco and Drogba. You are right - this might be the time for the Impact to compete for the cup.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2016, 4:36 AM
Go Chiefs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Quite the weekend for Gianvinco and Drogba. You are right - this might be the time for the Impact to compete for the cup.
Yup, Drogba is BIG question mark for next year and Piatti is here on a season to season basis because his father has health problems back in Argentina. He said it himself he would sign a long term contract with the Impact if it wasn't for his father.

So it's clear as day that we are going all in this year.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2016, 5:28 PM
City Maker

PDL Update

The Conference Playoffs for the PDL took place over the weekend and three Canadian clubs were involved. Unfortunately, K-W United FC and the Thunder Bay Chill fell in their Conference Semi-Finals and were not given the chance to play each other in an all-Canadian Final. Foothills FC of Calgary were victorious in their Conference Semi-Final and Final earning themselves the Western Conference Championship crown. Foothills will play the Ocean City Nor'easters in a National Championship Semi-Final in Ocean City, NJ on Saturday.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”
- Roberta Brandes Gratz

Old Posted Jul 26, 2016, 10:38 PM

Audience for Major League Soccer on ESPN/ESPN2 Up 32 Percent in 2016 Season to Date

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-re...6-season-date/

Old Posted Jul 26, 2016, 11:00 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite View Post
Audience for Major League Soccer on ESPN/ESPN2 Up 32 Percent in 2016 Season to Date

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-re...6-season-date/
As someone pointed out over at r/MLS last season only something like 2/22 MLS matches were shown on the main ESPN channel versus 15/19 so far this season. Their exposure is growing on the main network steadily.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2016, 4:19 AM

The expansion fee for teams 25 to 28 will be over $200 million

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...more-expensive

Old Posted Aug 2, 2016, 5:24 AM

On behalf of the silent majority of CFL fans I apologize for the haters and trolls. Our big-city franchises have a lot to learn from the MLS's success.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2016, 9:45 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite View Post
The expansion fee for teams 25 to 28 will be over $200 million

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...more-expensive
Which should effectively raise the current valuation of the existing franchises in the league as a result.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2016, 12:41 PM

Another hat-trick for Seba and a successful 4 game home stand for TFC with a maximum 12 points out of 12 - scoring 12 and conceding only 2.

One point out of 1st in the East with a game in hand over NYCFC

Old Posted Aug 8, 2016, 11:38 PM

Whitecaps ain't lookin good right now. Our dp (s) aren't doing much at all.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada