HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 23, 2024, 4:22 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashe View Post
Last activity April 10th.
Damn. Cheers to Thurmas . I've been on this site too long when regular forumers start passing away. He was taken too young. I think he was near my age.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2024, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Damn. Cheers to Thurmas . I've been on this site too long when regular forumers start passing away. He was taken too young. I think he was near my age.
Is it confirmed or are you just assuming?

Old Posted Jul 23, 2024, 5:26 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
Is it confirmed or are you just assuming?
I don't know. He said he was terminal and his last login was Apr 10th.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2024, 5:47 PM

If anyone knows his real name, they could Google them and see if they find an obituary. The rest of us don't need the name, we'd just like an update if possible.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2024, 7:15 PM

Yes, it would be helpful to know.

A woman I know who had terminal throat cancer availed herself of MAID a few days ago. Her family said the process was peaceful and comforting. Damn the feds for delaying its application for the mentally ill until '27, which is, as it were, handing it a death sentence.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2024, 7:35 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresto View Post
A woman I know who had terminal throat cancer availed herself of MAID a few days ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresto View Post
Damn the feds for delaying its application for the mentally ill until '27, which is, as it were, handing it a death sentence.

Terminal throat cancer and mental illness are two very different things. Surely you can see why the application of MAID is politically & ethically acceptable in cases of terminal illness, and not for those with treatable mental health conditions? Particularly when the government is supposed to be providing effective, accessible mental health treatment - offering assisted suicide is not an acceptable alternative to adequate health care.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2024, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
Terminal throat cancer and mental illness are two very different things. Surely you can see why the application of MAID is politically & ethically acceptable in cases of terminal illness, and not for those with treatable mental health conditions? Particularly when the government is supposed to be providing effective, accessible mental health treatment - offering assisted suicide is not an acceptable alternative to adequate health care.
Yes clearly. What about uncurable mental illness? What about just a crappy life. I'd take Steve Jobs last months with cancer over living on the streets or frankly even just being obese and alone at 70 in rural area. Where do we draw the line?

Old Posted Jul 23, 2024, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
Yes clearly. What about uncurable mental illness? What about just a crappy life. I'd take Steve Jobs last months with cancer over living on the streets or frankly even just being obese and alone at 70 in rural area. Where do we draw the line?
Or, its seems, how steep do we make the slippery slope?

Old Posted Jul 23, 2024, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Or, its seems, how steep do we make the slippery slope?
I mean to me as long as it is deliberative why not make it easier for someone to die with dignitiy whateve their reason. Some kind of a waiting period but your reason can be I ruined my life and I don't want to live anymore. Is it better that these people jump off buildings or jump in front of train potentially hurting others. MAID's greatest contribution is those who can't take their life. Before you knew you had to do it before you went in hospital or you were going to be stuck with that kind of death. Maybe some morphine that kind of pushes you over the edge. It would be nice if you could make the request in advance for dementia. When you still have some good days it's a shame you have to do it then or you miss the window as once you can't consent it's no longer allowed.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2024, 10:03 PM

If someone can confirm and share the obituary I think it would be nice for long-time regular forumers like myself. It would be nice if we could pool some money together and make an SSP donation to the charity of his/his family's choice.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2024, 11:06 PM

My last DM with Thurmas was February. He told me he is an old child and was preoccupied with making sure his mother was taken care off. I asked him to share his contact information with a mod he trusts so that we could come together to help his family in our own small way. If any of the mods have those details, I am happy to help.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2024, 12:16 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

I fear the worst.

I somehow doubt as well that anyone knows his real name. We may never be able to confirm that he is gone.

I think it would be appropriate if a mod could elevate Thurmas to Honoured Member status. It's been done before.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2024, 12:26 AM
Community Guy

Stay positive and hope that he just preoccupied with getting better.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 24, 2024, 1:03 AM

I agree that it’s best to not make assumptions. Also, if nobody knows his identity, it’s because he wanted it that way. I think the best thing we could do is to honour his wishes.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2024, 3:20 AM

All the best to thurmas. I expect he has either passed or isn't capable of contributing any more. I hope he's at peace.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2024, 4:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
My last DM with Thurmas was February. He told me he is an old child and was preoccupied with making sure his mother was taken care off. I asked him to share his contact information with a mod he trusts so that we could come together to help his family in our own small way. If any of the mods have those details, I am happy to help.
Count me in.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2024, 12:48 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

sent him an email no idea if its a current one or not

but yea i am wondering too if the grand halls of vanhala had a feast to welcome him yet

Old Posted Jul 24, 2024, 12:53 PM

I hope Cancer gets Cancer. Count me in for a donation.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2024, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
I won't elaborate on why I know this to be false, but I do concur that, optimally, MAID would only be accessible to a mentally ill individual when all other options have been exhausted. Many with mental illness can be helped, but not all.
A mental illness can be just as ineradicable and agonizing as a terminal physical condition. Mental illnesses are much harder to assess because clinicians cannot ascertain their existence or severity via a scan or x-ray.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada