HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

View Poll Results: What is the most compelling UBC project or proposal?
University Town 33 31.43%
University Boulevard 33 31.43%
Museum of Anthropology Expansion 12 11.43%
UBC Winter Sports Centre 11 10.48%
Irving K. Barber Learning Centre 6 5.71%
Sauder School of Business building redevelopment 10 9.52%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Dec 17, 2008, 9:39 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Interesting read, on a follow up to the SUB request put out last week.

1. Is there going to be a new Student Union Building at UBC Vancouver?

In March, 2008 UBC Vancouver's students voted in favour of funding a new Student UnionBuilding, on or near University Square. The University and the AMS subsequently developed a Memorandum of Understanding for this important project.

2. What does a new Student Union Building mean to UBC?

A new Student Union Building in this central location of the campus is a very positive andimportant project for our campus community. It will add valuable student social and clubspace to the campus and bring a very strong student presence to University Square.

3. Where is the new Student Union Building going to be located?

The new Student Union Building is intended to be located on the eastern side of University Square, adjacent to the Aquatic Centre. University Square is part of the University Boulevard Neighbourhood.

4. What planning work and agreements are in place for the University Boulevard Neighbourhood?

The University Boulevard Neighbourhood has a Neighbourhood Plan that is compliant with the Official Community Plan. UBC completed an AIBC-sanctioned competition for the entire Neighbourhood, and awarded the architectural services work to the winning team of HCM / MRY, subsequently amended to HCM / KPMB. UBC has architectural and related consulting contracts in place for the design work for the University Boulevard Neighbourhood buildings and public realm including University Square.

5. What is the status of agreements between UBC and AMS regarding the new SUB?

Four legal agreements are needed before this project can proceed. Those four agreements relate to: lease terms, finance terms, development / construction and surrender of the old SUB. These agreements are in various degrees of preparation; some agreements have not yet been drafted. Negotiations regarding the content of these agreements is ongoing.

6. What is the status of the Province's P3 screen to determine whether the project will be delivered through a public-private partnership?

This review is still in process.

7. Does the AMS RFEOI have the University's support?

No, the University does not support AMS's issuance of this RFEOI and was not involved in the preparation of the document. The University, through UBC Properties Trust, has contracts in place for architectural services and other consulting services for the University Boulevard Neighbourhood including University Square. Without the University's approval and cooperation, the AMS will not be able to implement this project.

8. What are the next steps in the development of the new SUB?

The legal agreements required to enable this project to proceed must be completed and approved by the UBC Board of Governors and AMS Council. The earliest this could occur is February 2009.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 6:56 PM

Does anyone know what's going on outside of Buchanan Tower? With the outposts and the fencing and the barriers and the tent?

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x2 View Post
Does anyone know what's going on outside of Buchanan Tower? With the outposts and the fencing and the barriers and the tent?
They're finally going to demolish that massive slab of concrete and build something that isn't meant to be temporary? The only thing I like about that thing is that we play tetris on the windows from Buchanan D.

I guess I'll have to check that out today.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 8:48 PM
Community Guy

I will be at my condo in Hampton Place this weekend and look forward to seeing the progress at 16th and wesbrook

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jan 25, 2009, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x2 View Post
So I found out from a friend that filming crews are using Buchanan Tower.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2009, 2:12 AM
Can I has a tunnel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
I will be at my condo in Hampton Place this weekend and look forward to seeing the progress at 16th and wesbrook
While you're there look at that new traffic circle at 16th and Wesbrook. If you though it was poorly planned before, look at it now. They put a nice big sign in the middle so your vision is massively restricted.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2009, 3:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodii View Post
Yea, haha...i just realized that yesterday....they even had electric cables running outside the building facade from the ground all the way to the rooftop.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2009, 4:16 AM
(||||||-||||-||||||)

Ohh...I didn't know that that was going on

~ FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT

Old Posted Jan 25, 2009, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodii View Post
They're doing reshoots for Wolverine, there were a few scenes they couldn't shoot in New Zealand so they waited for Vancouver since they were here for a small portion of the filming anyway.

Buchanan will be dressed as an oppresive govt/military installation.....And they got it exactly right!!!

My friend has a small office in Buchanan Tower so she's been taking pictures with her cellphone and will be uploading them to her site soon.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2009, 3:44 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Mackinnon View Post
While you're there look at that new traffic circle at 16th and Wesbrook. If you though it was poorly planned before, look at it now. They put a nice big sign in the middle so your vision is massively restricted.
yup... it was fun walking by and watching people trying to navigate it.

pics to come tomorrow but i was very impressed with what has been done thus far.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2009, 3:59 AM

Is someone able to add the Beatty Biodiversity Museum to the poll? This is the amazing facility that will house the blue whale skeleton. This one gets my vote.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2009, 7:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
yup... it was fun walking by and watching people trying to navigate it.

pics to come tomorrow but i was very impressed with what has been done thus far.
I said it would be a terrible traffic idea from the beginning and thats exactly what it turned out to be. Drivers are utterly confused when they hit that traffic circle, we're just not taught to drive in round-abouts like Europeans are. The Bus'ses barrel around it like a slalom run as well.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2009, 7:53 AM
Can I has a tunnel?

I don't think that's the problem actually.

It's really just a terribly designed traffic circle. The right turn lanes should be separated off from the circle, there should be nothing obstructing the views in the middle and it shouldn't go from 2 lanes to one and back to two just prior to entering the circle on 16th.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2009, 4:05 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by teriyaki View Post
I said it would be a terrible traffic idea from the beginning and thats exactly what it turned out to be. Drivers are utterly confused when they hit that traffic circle, we're just not taught to drive in round-abouts like Europeans are. The Bus'ses barrel around it like a slalom run as well.
that they do... it was quite amusing watching bad/overly cautious drivers

Old Posted Jan 28, 2009, 4:25 AM
Community Guy

a few Hampton Place then the rest University Town...

Old Posted Jan 28, 2009, 4:58 PM

Awesome shots man. I had absolutely no idea about the amount of construction taking place near UBC!

Old Posted Jan 28, 2009, 8:55 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
Awesome shots man. I had absolutely no idea about the amount of construction taking place near UBC!
yah, it was a lot more than i had guessed as well. Will be nice to have a SAVE_ON to walk to, but sad to see that amount of old growth go.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2009, 9:55 PM

Ah crap! I was hoping that the majority of these buildings replaced formally underutilized lots. I figured UBC would try and preserve as much forest as possible.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2009, 9:59 PM
Community Guy

^oh, they look to be and yes... some of this was simply underutilized land, but some definitely not.

Mind you me saying anything against it would be total hypocrisy as we have a condo where pacific spirit used to be as well.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2009, 10:04 PM
Can I has a tunnel?

Most of UBC's sustainability stuff is half assed anyways. It's not really all that surprising.

I think U-town is going to come back to bite the university in the ass. Too many non-university related opinions are going to sway the course of campus development.

The underground bus loop is also going to be a big PITA within a few years. Simply said in its current form it won't work. There's going to be 4 loading bays, with a bus leaving every 2 minutes for each bay. I see nothing wrong with this plan...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver